Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Birdstrike posted:

good value odds crypto currencies get a mention in the budget

Quite likely. The mainsteam financial media (AFR et al) seem to be running at least two stories every week about this revolutionary blockchain tech that's going to disrupt everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Just think how much we'd save if we didn't have to mint all those coins and print all those notes. Would be a good fit with the government accountability app, which will also help us to return to surplus on the back of in-app purchases.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

AgentF posted:

I honestly believe that the media in this country is extremely harmful to political discourse, framing every discussion in terms that are favourable to the LNP. I see the ALP as having to play against a stacked deck each and every election.

Remember when Labor tried to reform the Media Ownership laws?

:sigh:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That wasn't about ownership, it was about Labor wanting the government to regulate media content.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
In all the smoke and mirrors of the latest Tory stunt it may have been missed that the Senate voted to abolish the Road Safety Remuneration Tribunal and expunge the order on minimum wages:

Btw the whole of the loving cross bench EXCEPT Ricky Muir voted to do this.

So people who want to see workers get paid poo poo and people die on our roads are:

David Leyonhjelm - Arsehole.
Jackie Lambie - Fuckwit.
David Lazarus - Big Boofie Chucklefuck.
Bob Day - Jesus freak and all round nut job.
John Madigan - Oh gently caress it I'll split from the DLP. Divisionist scum.
Nick Xenophon - Toss a coin? Who the gently caress knows with this guy.
Zenya Wang - gently caress Unions! The boss said so!

Oh and the whole of the LNP, but that should shock nobody.

http://www.afr.com/news/senate-votes-to-scrap-road-safety-tribunal-20160418-go9g46

quote:

Senate votes to scrap road safety tribunal By Ewin Hannan

The Senate has voted to scrap the Road Safety Remuneration Tribunal, after the Turnbull Government won the backing of key crossbenchers to kill off the controversial body. After earlier voting down the Australian Building and Construction Commission to give the Government a double dissolution trigger, the Senate voted 36 to 32 in support of the Coalition's bill to abolish the tribunal. Australian Industry Group chief executive Innes Willox welcomed the abolition. "Ai Group opposed the establishment of the tribunal, and ever since we have called for its abolition," he said. "The tribunal should never have been established in the first place. It was set up in response to a Transport Workers Union industrial campaign. The idea that paying drivers more or differently will improve road safety has been rightly rejected by Parliament." (An 'idea' backed by plenty of evidence)

Just hours earlier the tribunal has done an extraordinary backflip, agreeing to consider delaying the introduction of minimum payments for thousands of truck drivers until 2017. Reversing its previous refusal to delay the introduction of the rates, on Monday the tribunal used its change of position to criticise the federal government for not earlier releasing two reports into the new payments system. Introducing the bill to scrap the tribunal into federal Parliament on Monday , the government's leader in the house, Christopher Pyne, said the tribunal's refusal to delay the introduction of the rates despite calls from industry and union was the "last straw". "We cannot afford to wait any longer for this mess to be sorted out," Mr Pyne said. "We must stop this act of economic vandalism – there are real families suffering real stress and financial ruin." He said the government was not prepared to allow small business operators and families to be punished "just because they decided to buy a truck instead of a corner store. "Some drivers have indicated they are parked up and will be broke within weeks," he said. "This order has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with pricing small businesses out of a market. Small businesses whose workers don't typically choose to be a member of a union – which when it boils down to it, that's what the road safety remuneration system has always really been about."

The Transport Workers Union on Monday released polling showing just 12 per cent of voters wanted the tribunal scrapped, while a further 9 per cent supported reducing its powers. However, 30 per cent backed strengthening the tribunal's powers, 21 per cent backed no change and 28 per cent did not know.
Bold the whole thing (etc.)

Now this is from a terrible source but this encapsulates the whole of our current political discourse. Rational policy that the electorate backs is trashed by a political elite funded by big business. Who here is really the winner? Ideologically the far right NeoCons who funded the plucky truckie rally, certainly, but more over the big two retail players Coles and Woolworths who would do just about anything to shave a few cents of their transport bill. Including not paying them when it suits them. The other major players who are standing just behind the scenes are the banks who use high leverage financial instruments to lend money to aspiring truckers. Now last I checked neither Westfarmers, ANZ, Woolworths et all were actually short for a quid and if you are involved in paying freight there is clearly some cash sloshing around.

So in short the forces of darkness usurped the political process and smashed the workers face flat (Often literally) for what? The mighty dollar and the free hand of the free market.

Why does this reflect our whole political situation? Well never before have the forces of the far right been so clearly exposed. By playing brinkman ship with the more centrist force of Turdball rather than scare him straight they have shown themselves out. It was the constant posturing and leaking by the NeoCons that eroded Turball's honeymoon and this election is his to lose. And once again the chosen ground for the fight is Union bashing. This is crazy poo poo. Not only is this the one area that the LNP are most vulnerable to massive attacks based on their own past actions and current rhetoric but in all seriousness if the right wanted to win over the unions all they needed to do was wait quietly while Australians FYGM their way into there being no union movement worthy of the name.

It is refreshing to have all your suspicions confirmed. Newscorpse is in fact the mouth piece of the lunatic far right and the IPA, BCA, MCA etc are all shameless shills for their corprate masters. This isn't political discourse its a never ending poo poo spraying machine that ignores everything.

I mean who gives a gently caress about road saftey? What's a few human sacrifices when it comes to supporting laissez-faire capitalism?

Even better is the race to destruction that this stupid DD shenanigans has forced upon the entire edifice.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-19/submarine-announcement-delay-politically-suicidal:-weatherill/7336924

quote:

Submarine delay would be 'politically suicidal' for Liberal Christopher Pyne, Labor leader says 891 ABC Adelaide Updated about an hour ago

Leaving Australia's submarine contract announcement until after the federal election would be "politically suicidal" for one of the masterminds behind South Australia getting the go ahead to build offshore patrol vessels, the Premier has said. Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull yesterday announced Adelaide would be home to the early construction of 12 offshore patrol vessels in 2018 before shifting to Western Australia in 2020. South Australian Labor Premier Jay Weatherill described the announcement as a "great win" for the state and gave credit to Liberal Industry, Innovation and Science Minister Christopher Pyne, who could have a fight ahead to retain the SA seat of Sturt at the federal election. "We want to knock him off [at the election], but I think he has done a great job," Mr Weatherill said. "I'm a Labor bloke and I've got a Labor candidate running against him and we want him to win but look credit where it's due, he's done a fantastic job here. This has been I think a fantastic community effort, I mean every South Australian should be proud of this."

Mr Weatherill said the campaign for the submarine work had been two years in the making and the patrol boat announcement pointed to an Australian build for the project. "I hope Christopher and the team are able to get that organised before the federal election is announced because I think it would be politically suicidal for him not to do so," he said. Mr Pyne said he would not reveal information that had been taken to Cabinet or the national security committee regarding the next step for the submarine project. "We will keep putting our best foot forward for the submarines obviously, and I hope to have an announcement before the election," Mr Pyne said. "I've said all along if the election is in September it would be much easier, if it is in July it will be harder."

Mr Pyne said it was important to put political differences aside to do what was best for South Australia. "I'm grateful that the Premier Jay Weatherill has given me credit for the offshore patrol vessels and I thank him for that," he said. "It is important that South Australians, proud South Australians like he and I work for our state not our political parties."
:laugh:

Every single one of these dodgy cretins that gets the arse come election day will make me do a little dance of joy. I won't let the harsh reality that the replacements are probably worse dampen my good mood for possibly minutes.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
You don't need to toss a coin on Xenophon, he has always been consistently anti-worker

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Peter "I didn't see her hand" Cosgrove.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
I don't think it's that surprising that a crossbench made up largely of right-wing populists were convinced by a well-funded IPA astroturf on the RSRT.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

open24hours posted:

That wasn't about ownership, it was about Labor wanting the government to regulate media content.
It wasn't even as exciting as that implies. They were accepting the recommendation of the media's own self-regulatory body, the Press Council. The government (ACMA) already regulate content to a certain extent, this was a relatively minor change to some guidelines.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 19, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

"What's that man doing to his anus?"

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
ALP primary vote at 36% shows how unexcited people are about bill shorten

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Negligent posted:

ALP primary vote at 36% shows how unexcited people are about bill shorten

Did Bill Shorten kick your dog or something?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I hope Ricky Muir gets re-elected at the DD.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Would a Shorten Prime Ministership be the first time a literal empty suit has inhabited the lodge?

e: Can an empty suit be ill-fitting?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
It is time for a reading from the First book of Dog:

Oh, and some kittens:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Wheezle posted:

Would a Shorten Prime Ministership be the first time a literal empty suit has inhabited the lodge?

e: Can an empty suit be ill-fitting?

Apart from Turnbull?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

According to an email from Adam Bandt... it's happening?

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Yeah, just got that too. July 2nd.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
ABC confirms:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-19/turnbull-confirms-abcc-will-trigger-double-dissolution-election/7337306

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Turnbull does not deserve to be reelected. He has done nothing since seizing the job. It's a sleepwalking government.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I'm placing my life savings ($150) on someone who's a bit of an outsider but who I believe will win and pay BIG dividends.

#abbotsgunnawin

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Ditto SMH.

Calling a narrow majority to turnbull in the reps but a larger defecit in the senate with nxt + greens holding the balance of power.

Turnbull gets a slim majority to pass his legislation, but spirals downward and gets knifed in return by the lizard king Abbot.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lmao if NXT turns out to be some sort of libertarian shill bullshit and we get an LNP favourable senate.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

hooman posted:

I hope Ricky Muir gets re-elected at the DD.

Same, he's been pretty good

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

You Am I posted:

Same, he's been pretty good

Yeah, I'd vote for him.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The Australian Motoring Enthusiasts Party will gain a Majority in the lower house and upon forming government will commission a new fleet of VL turbo Comcars.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I would not mind Muir as PM

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Why were they so coy about it on morning television this morning? Are they really that incapable of communicating strategy to each other?

quote:

"When we go to election, the Australian people will decide whether there should be an Australian Building and Construction Commission," he said.

They're insane. They're not just using it as the trigger, they're actually campaigning on it. Why did anyone think Turnbull was a slick political operator? :psyduck:

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 19, 2016

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Turdball rolls into defeat

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
So is it just going to follow the script that the budget is the softest warm cuddly friendly budget in a long time to butter people up before the election, people vote liberal and then it's like, "lol we had our fingers crossed behind our backs all along!"

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They're insane. They're not just using it as the trigger, they're actually campaigning on it. Why did anyone think Turnbull was a slick political operator? :psyduck:

Well, union-bashing is probably the only thing Turnbull can get his entire caucus to agree on.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
Hasn't Muir voted with the LNP something like 60% of the time? He's better than everyone thought but he's not that great.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Whitlam, Hawke and even Rudd had charisma in his weird way. That's what you need to bring Labor in to government. Shorten doesn't have it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Negligent posted:

Whitlam, Hawke and even Rudd had charisma in his weird way. That's what you need to bring Labor in to government. Shorten doesn't have it.

So you saying he's Keating? They both do the sick burn thing.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Beazley didn't have charisma and he would've got in.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

BUT SOMETHING HAPPENED.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

turdbucket posted:

Hasn't Muir voted with the LNP something like 60% of the time? He's better than everyone thought but he's not that great.

Didn't he have an agreement with PUP to vote with them until that whole thing went tits up? His conduct when talking to the kids being held ransom by ScoMo is pretty much why I see him as a good senator, if a bit naïve for thinking they'd actually let the kids go.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Oh my god what the gently caress happened to Crikey. it looks so loving ugly jesus christ my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Here are some names to use, or think of your own

Monash University

I Finally Won Something Shorten – Lot’s Wife, 1987

Bill “Career-Move” Shorten – Lot’s Wife, 1987

AWU

Golden Boy – his staff, 2001

Bye Bye Bill – factional opponents, 2002