Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Wooty posted:

Just let the goalie get hit in the head.

This was me last night. I ducked on a snapshot from a former AHLer/current Austrian Hockey Leaguer that instead rang off the crossbar. It was the right decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A guy I've been staking with a for a couple years and got a hand-me-down set of pads recently took his first puck in the mask yesterday. Dropped him pretty good.. puck bonked him just over the ear and he was face down on the ice, I assume, waiting for his ears to stop ringing and the stars to fade away.

Once he collected himself he decided that was enough for the day and left the ice. Next time I see him on skates, am curious whether it'll be in goalie pads or not.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You really need to invest in a $400 mask even just starting out. The risk of concussion is too great otherwise.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Quick question: I'm working on getting into shape after not having played since about 1999, been doing weights for a while but want to switch over to a dry land hockey workout that'll get my cardio/endurance up to speed. I've got a stationary bike at home with a full set of Olympic weights.

Any suggestions? I've glanced at a few books here and there, and the internet has a bunch of random stuff that I've seen, but nothing that's sort of comprehensive.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Plymoetrics. Have fun vomiting.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Intervals. Hockey is an anaerobic sport. Push 250 watts for 60 seconds, then do a 2 minute recovery at 100 watts. Repeat 10 times.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 19, 2016

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Buy some gear. Fall down. Have zero goals in 22 games. Drink beer after.

I'm ready for summer league.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Duke Chin posted:

I lucked out and need new skates and a new bucket, but everything else is good to go. Falling and not scoring: I'm good at both.

I'm doing the StrongLifts program and getting good gains out of it, but where would I fit in plyometrics and cycling without killing my squat days (every day) ? If there's a more flexible lifting program that works with the other stuff, I'd be all for trying it out.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Vargatron posted:

No, that's not fun.

Wooty knows I wouldn't let that happen

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Are you also playing hockey while doing all this prep work to play hockey?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Duke Chin posted:

Duke chin's figured it all out.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Unlike you who can't figure out how to skate on Tuesdays anymore

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I think I could get the puck from Bobby Ryan.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Pleads posted:

Are you also playing hockey while doing all this prep work to play hockey?

No, no hockey while prepping.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What the hell is wrong with you?

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
My workout routine for prepping for hockey was just buying gear and going to a drop in and sucking at hockey. Then I kept going to drop ins and tried to suck less every time. Seems to be working well for me so far.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Jesus Christ you're starting way too late in life to be any good at this sport anyways so go have fun

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If you want to be good, you need 87g of carbs exactly 67 minutes prior to puck drop.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also you need to show up an hour and a half before puck drop so you have time to get a proper warmup in. Dudes from the previous skate will probably still be in the locker room getting dressed for their game, but if you tell them what's up they'll be cool with it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sorry guys, Mercury is in retrograde, I can't goaltend tonight.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Guy's i've only pissed three times today that's not a good sign!

E: Wait poo poo are we telling fake stories? gently caress

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

xzzy posted:

What the hell is wrong with you?

I'm old as gently caress and don't want to die playing hockey, although, that wouldn't necessarily be the worst way to go. Except it would probably be like, "I don't know what happened to him, he tried to turn and fell down and he was just dead, and had pissed and poo poo himself."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You'll be fine, just go skate. It's pointless to take on a regimented training scheme to play hockey and not actually play hockey.

If your body says it wants a break, that's what the bench is for.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I also have no skates and we just had major flooding in town yesterday, so my plans to get skates this week got foiled by needing new flooring :(

I guess I could rent skates, though, and get a new helmet.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

sellouts posted:

Unlike you who can't figure out how to skate on Tuesdays anymore

I actually took myself off the email list since I now work 2 jobs and have a full school load and don't live down the street anymore. I'm not playing this season either :(

I replaced hockey with tinder, but not before I started watching my carb and protein intake and doing lunges in my garage while holding my dog and paying for a workout routine with a meal plan. I'm old as gently caress and don't want to die having sex, although, that wouldn't necessarily be the worst way to go. Except it would probably be like, "I don't know what happened to him, he tried to do me from behind and fell down and he was just dead, and had pissed and poo poo himself."

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Nitramster posted:

I actually took myself off the email list since I now work 2 jobs and have a full school load and don't live down the street anymore. I'm not playing this season either :(

I replaced hockey with tinder, but not before I started watching my carb and protein intake and doing lunges in my garage while holding my dog and paying for a workout routine with a meal plan. I'm old as gently caress and don't want to die having sex, although, that wouldn't necessarily be the worst way to go. Except it would probably be like, "I don't know what happened to him, he tried to do me from behind and fell down and he was just dead, and had pissed and poo poo himself."

When you get older, death while sexing sounds awful.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Nostratic posted:

I'm old as gently caress and don't want to die playing hockey, although, that wouldn't necessarily be the worst way to go. Except it would probably be like, "I don't know what happened to him, he tried to turn and fell down and he was just dead, and had pissed and poo poo himself."

I mean, what you just mentioned there is like a normal Sunday night game for me. It owns. :cheers:

Joke'ey jokes aside, if you don't mind me asking: how old are you anyways? Like, I mean, for sure work out and be healthy and poo poo I'm not going to disparage you for that. But like, don't skip hockey just for the sake of working out and getting shredded beforehand or whatever. A not-insignificant amount of dudes in my division (and higher) are beer belly as hell and can still skate and score.

Edit: wait, you said you used to play. Eh, do whatever floats your boat you know what's up. :shrug: Still curious how "old as hell" you are.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 20, 2016

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
A guy I play with started playing hockey at 63 when he retired. He's 68 now and doesn't plan on quitting anytime soon.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Duke Chin posted:

I mean, what you just mentioned there is like a normal Sunday night game for me. It owns. :cheers:

Joke'ey jokes aside, if you don't mind me asking: how old are you anyways? Like, I mean, for sure work out and be healthy and poo poo I'm not going to disparage you for that. But like, don't skip hockey just for the sake of working out and getting shredded beforehand or whatever. A not-insignificant amount of dudes in my division (and higher) are beer belly as hell and can still skate and score.

Edit: wait, you said you used to play. Eh, do whatever floats your boat you know what's up. :shrug: Still curious how "old as hell" you are.

I never want the answer to that question, since "old as hell" in a hockey context is usually 5-10 years younger than me.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
This is the worst thread.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I'm 45. I'm not decrepit, but I'm definitely not 25 any more.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I'm 30, stuck between the young punks and the old guys. In the beer league no mans land.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

45 is like middle age for beer league. When I showed up at 37 I was the youngest on the team by 5 years.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
My main team is like 28-35. Most of us are the same ageish.

The other team I play on has a lot of old guys that arent good at hockey.

In other news since I stopped caring and bringing back the Rover position on that team I've been on a pretty good streak.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Bradf0rd posted:

This is the worst thread.

Hurry up and come play pond hockey with me nerd.

Also had my best ever cross crease one-timer goal tonight against a really good goalie and man it felt good. :hawksin:
this is a thing that will never happen again, especially in "real" league play hah

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I got an e-mail a couple days ago saying that one of our C League players collapsed in the rink and is now in the hospital in an induced coma :( Luckily, they were able to do CPR and hit him with a defibrillator at the rink, but it loving sucks. I'm pretty sure I've played with the guy in pickup at some juncture and it just sucks to hear about that kind of thing happening.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

xzzy posted:

45 is like middle age for beer league. When I showed up at 37 I was the youngest on the team by 5 years.

Heh, i'm still in my early twenties and figured quite a few of you might be, maybe there's a chance for me yet! :negative:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Get off our ice you drat kid! :argh:

We have a pretty good mix of ages, youngest is 19, oldest is somewhere in the mid 60s on our team.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Nostratic posted:

I'm 45. I'm not decrepit, but I'm definitely not 25 any more.

Hey cool someone else has me beat :reject::respek::corsair: Yeah our team is also a pretty decent mix of mid 20's to mid (maybe late) 50's of varying skill or effort levels. Maaaaaaaaaybe one of them is in their 60's I can't really tell because I'm poo poo at that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

calandryll posted:

Get off our ice you drat kid! :argh:

We have a pretty good mix of ages, youngest is 19, oldest is somewhere in the mid 60s on our team.

Never! I'm going to skate till I die.

I've booked off my birthday from work and was wondering what to do, turns out there is a morning Stick N Puck session I can't usually make. I know what i'm doing!