Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I really dislike tri-tip as a cut of meat. It's really chewy half the time. Give me some burnt ends any day of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

H110Hawk posted:

I really dislike tri-tip as a cut of meat. It's really chewy half the time. Give me some burnt ends any day of the week.

Kansas?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Jesus who the gently caress is cooking your tri-tip? It should melt in your mouth.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Someone's selling you london broil for $17/pound

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Jesus who the gently caress is cooking your tri-tip? It should melt in your mouth.

:hitler:

Edit: Ironically it's probably the fact that the tritip is kosher almost every time I eat it. The times where it's been melt in your mouth delicious are always non-kosher. I just skip it in general to not have to risk it.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 17, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

:hitler:

Edit: Ironically it's probably the fact that the tritip is kosher almost every time I eat it. The times where it's been melt in your mouth delicious are always non-kosher. I just skip it in general to not have to risk it.

I think people get impatient with a cut that thick. I have always cooked mine on the grill for at least 2 hours. I have also smoked it for 24 as well.

People try to treat it like steak when it's not; it's a roast.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

I think people get impatient with a cut that thick. I have always cooked mine on the grill for at least 2 hours. I have also smoked it for 24 as well.

People try to treat it like steak when it's not; it's a roast.

I believe it to be cooked correctly, and to be the correct cut of meat, but I just don't like it that much. With passover coming up I wish we could just have pulled pork instead but apparently that's sacrilegious.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
How long does it take to get approved for TSA pre-check? This line is some straight bullshit.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

stubblyhead posted:

How long does it take to get approved for TSA pre-check? This line is some straight bullshit.

They tell you 6 weeks or something, but I had my number in maybe 2. And that $85 / 5 year cost (plus of course the unknown added privacy invasions of signing up to give the government more permission to vet you) is possibly one of the best tradeoffs of convenience for security / privacy I've ever made. Going to the airport now is 100% pre-9/11 days - stroll in 10 minutes before boarding and get through security in 5 minutes (and no T-rays if you're worried about the health risks).

Actually, poo poo, wait, I mean don't get TSA pre it's totally not worth it and I don't want any of you fuckers making my line longer uh the TSA comes to your house every week to cavity search you to make sure you're still not dangerous.

adorai posted:

Sorry, the cage nut tool you initialy linked is the right tool. Bascially a properly shaped piece of sheet metal is perfect.

Adorai, I respect your opinions usually but in this case you're just flat out wrong. I have no doubt that a sharpened piece of metal does a great job prying off a cage nut. The advantage to the one I use is that you don't have to worry about the cage nut falling out (or have to have your hand in a weird position to make sure you catch it, or have your other hand there to catch it), and more importantly, unless I'm missing something, the curved metal one would seem to be a giant pain for putting cage nuts IN - with the ones I posted you just put the cage nut in the pliers, squeeze, and pop it in the hole. Even if there's a clever way to hold the nut, your hand, and your tool (snicker) all at once to put them in, why bother with the hassle?

Actually, I just watched the video on the site originally linked (https://www.racksolutions.com/cage-nut-tool.html), and holy poo poo, that's like 3 times longer to install the cage nut and 10 times longer to remove it than with the tool I use. Plus you still have a huge risk of stabbing yourself, scratching the rack, whatever, with the pressure you're putting on the little tab of the nut. The pliers you literally just squeeze and tilt out the nut in like half a second, and you don't need both hands or have to worry about losing the nut. Trust me, it's totally loving worth it and you will never have a stabbed or pinched finger ever again.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i hire people with all 10 fingers and decent fine motor control skills who somehow magically get things put into racks

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Potato Alley posted:

Adorai, I respect your opinions usually but in this case you're just flat out wrong. I have no doubt that a sharpened piece of metal does a great job prying off a cage nut. The advantage to the one I use is that you don't have to worry about the cage nut falling out (or have to have your hand in a weird position to make sure you catch it, or have your other hand there to catch it), and more importantly, unless I'm missing something, the curved metal one would seem to be a giant pain for putting cage nuts IN - with the ones I posted you just put the cage nut in the pliers, squeeze, and pop it in the hole. Even if there's a clever way to hold the nut, your hand, and your tool (snicker) all at once to put them in, why bother with the hassle?
Watch this video. It is for a similarly shaped tool. It's only useful for installing them, for removing you just partially screw in a bolt and tap it with something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRvVtzvlaIM

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Siding with adorai here, there are cases where you need some overengineered cage nut tool to remove something built to anchor a space shuttle to the launchpad (and you do see these a lot in racks installed in the late nineties), but the vast majority of nuts will come out just fine with that kind of tool with no real effort whatsoever.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

go3 posted:

i hire people with all 10 fingers and decent fine motor control skills who somehow magically get things put into racks

I often wonder how people have so much trouble installing poo poo in a rack. I mean 15 years ago things were noticeably a pain in an rear end but not worth using specialized tools over. In 2016? Seems pretty painless.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Sickening posted:

I often wonder how people have so much trouble installing poo poo in a rack. I mean 15 years ago things were noticeably a pain in an rear end but not worth using specialized tools over. In 2016? Seems pretty painless.

Because every rack is different. If you install a sensible rack today, it's painless. A rack installed last week could have been built for anything from supporting a UFO landing site on the roof to being a piece of modern art, depending on two factors: What the budget was and what the attitude of the guy spec'ing it was.

One time, in the aughts, I came across a set of racks that were brass. I mean, who in their right mind bought those? They had to be expensive and I've no idea what sort of advantage there would be to brass...But I do know about galvanic corrosion and would have never done anything of the sort. :v:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

adorai posted:

Watch this video. It is for a similarly shaped tool. It's only useful for installing them, for removing you just partially screw in a bolt and tap it with something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRvVtzvlaIM

Again that seems perfectly fine and reasonably quick. My point is the pliers type is just as quick or quicker, and requires only one hand with very much less fiddling - it's literally an "pinch nut in pliers, insert one side at 45 degrees, roll the other side in, release pliers so the metal tabs spring back to lock it in" (and I just made it sound more complicated than it is). Also, for removal it's literally just pinch and remove, which sounds a lot faster than putting in a screw and tapping it.

Anyway maybe we just agree to disagree - I'd say that either tool is a million miles better than a flatblade screwdriver, a spoon, or no tool at all, so I'm not going to start a holy war over it. I just always try to find the most efficient way to do annoying things, and for me that's the pliers type.

Edit: I found a video showing my point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_-ITrfXhxE

(except the idiots making the video installed the cage nut vertically, so ignore that bit)

Sickening posted:

I mean, you don't have to use specialized tools for a lot of things, it just makes it faster and easier. It's like people who use scissors to cut zipties (notwithstanding that you should never use zipties), instead of using the proper cutters, i.e. these: http://www.amazon.com/Xcelite-170M-...te+side+cutters. Sure, you get a snipped tie with scissors, but you also leave behind those sharp bits that will without a doubt stab the next person who brushes their hand past it, and depending on the scissors it will take longer (and you have to do more maneuvering in a cramped back-of-rack because you've got the length of the scissors to deal with and don't want to snip a network cable as well, whereas the Xcelites will barely reach beyond the width of the ziptie).

So yeah, it's not that I can't install poo poo in a rack without a specialized tool, it's that it reduces the time by at least two thirds, if not more like 90%, and doesn't make me angry in the process. I rarely install hardware these days anyway, but if I'm going to do it I don't want to be loving around with it for any longer than necessary.

Which is also why when I can help it I vastly prefer Dell servers over any other general purpose server, because ReadyRails are the <click><click><done> loving greatest and every time I deal with cage nuts it's like "great back to the 1980s".

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 18, 2016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Aren't most racks these days nearly entirely tool-less?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Racks are (less depth adjustments, usually done with an allen key), rails designed for square-hole racks are, but lots of network equipment is designed for 2-post racks and square holes aren't a standard there. Cage nuts are still normal for top of rack switches, for example. Lots of hardware appliances with single mounting configurations assume M6 machine screws for maximum compatibility, too.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Aren't most racks these days nearly entirely tool-less?

That depends, is Smart Hands℠ involved? :downsrim:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

go3 posted:

Must be nice.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Potato Alley posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_-ITrfXhxE

(except the idiots making the video installed the cage nut vertically, so ignore that bit)
He's also installing the nut on the wrong side of the rack post. :v:

But gently caress caged nuts in general, I want everything on tool-less rails.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Worst installation situation I've been in - we racked a 43RU ASR9922 but installed the brackets they sit on 1/3RU too low because we we're trying to compensate for clearance issues at the top, so when we pushed the device in, it sank into the cage. We tried to pry it out with a piece of steel but the steel kept bending. We had to find a 2x4 and somehow jimmy it out (I don't even know how we did this). Fortunately we only made that mistake once and the other 9 we've installed have gone in seemlessly

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

How much do those weigh?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
300 pounds unloaded, so I guess about 330 with what we left in it

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

wut

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Failed to write from file. How hard is that?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Vulture Culture posted:

Failed to write from file. How hard is that?

I've never seen an error explicitly state that a programmer needs to fix something.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I make all of my errors tell the end user to email the guy I like the least in the company for any issues

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
an uncommunicated, unscheduled executive "demo/training" of one of our new systems failed spectacularly today, they didn't tell us they were doing it so the entire user concept wasn't set up nor was our sso for credentials. it was massively pleasing to hear about how some of my hated coworkers on the business side spluttered around in front of their execs for two hours with nothing to show for it. also to read the dispassionate emails from our access control team on the other side of the world quoting three days for account setup.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Sepist posted:

I make all of my errors tell the end user to email the guy I like the least in the company for any issues

Should change that to calling.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Come on man I'm not that evil

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone remember the sinking feeling in your gut the first time as a Sysadmin you got an error message that suggested that you contact your System Administrator to fix the problem.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
You're being facetious, but I've never been nervous at work, I don't think. Someone should regale us with a story about a time that you thought, terrified, to yourself, "well that's it, I'm getting fired". As long as you're okay now and we can look back and laugh. If you're posting from the library, please don't.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You're being facetious, but I've never been nervous at work, I don't think. Someone should regale us with a story about a time that you thought, terrified, to yourself, "well that's it, I'm getting fired". As long as you're okay now and we can look back and laugh. If you're posting from the library, please don't.

The time I inadvertently knocked out claims processing for one of the largest insurance providers in the country for 4 hours.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Not what you're looking for but I worked with an engineer that always said "you're not ready to be a sysadmin until you have a day where your stomach drops out and you're so sure you're fired you feel like throwing up".

Closest I've been was loving up a firewall install that was scheduled during an off-hour server rack move to a new building, despite my recommendation that we don't force two changes at the same time. I left dhcp on in the firewall which gave out server ips to phones before the servers came up. Servers refused to join the network. It's midnight and the only two people left on the project are me and my boss, the president of the msp. I identify the fuckup, fix it, admit my mistake to the boss, we both fight through hyper-v hosts that refuse to drop their apipa addresses, finish up two hours behind at 1 AM. My boss is pissed but at least I was there and stuck around instead of ditching out and calling it a night, and stayed pretty calm when the network looked to be hosed for no reason.

I never had that pit-of-the-stomach dread though, still haven't to this day, and I'm unsure whether it's because I haven't hosed up badly enough or because I don't suffer from stress disorders.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The time I pulled out a cross connect at 4am that was labeled as going to an empty rack and accidentally killed long distance service to 5 states for our customers for about 3 hours. By the time the pager alert went off I already had all the wiring removed and the block label off. That was a fun night of punching down all those blocks to figure out where it was built at.

Edit: reduced outage time, the fear still makes it seem longer in my head.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

For about 30 seconds, I thought I lost 100 TB of current and archival product marketing video footage at large computer company named after a fruit. Thankfully I had the SAN config backed up.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 19, 2016

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

After decades in the industry, I have a couple:

The time I was tasked with backing up logs files from an IVR so we could capture metrics during the Christmas crush for analysis after the holidays were over (customer tracking, call length, etc) and I didn't realize that the logs rolled over, overwriting themselves. Because I was capturing the logs [this way] instead of [that way], basically after three weeks, on January 5 I had logs from January 3-ish until January 5. It was a huge shitstorm and the PM on the IVR walked up to me and said, "the guy who botched this will probably get fired." I think he was loving with me and I /still/ think he was a huge dick for loving me when I thought my job was on the line.

The time I reached around the rack and pressed in the momentary switch to a server to shut it down, only to realize that I'd pressed the wrong power switch. As soon as I released the switch I would be shutting down our Metaframe server, currently with ~90 sessions of folks doing their work at 11:30 on a Tuesday. I went so far as to try to wedge a pen into the power button to keep it pressed in until I could safely power it off later in the day. But the pen immediately fell out and the server powered off. Turns out, people bitched, but no one really mattered, because municipal government.

The time I formatted a C-level's laptop to reinstall Windows and discovered that he thought I was going to back up all of his data, and I thought he was going to back up all of his data. *poof*

The time I RDP-ed into a database server, patched it and rebooted it, and realizing after it went down that I'd patched a production database instead of a lab one. Right there in the event logs:
"System restart initiated by Agrikk at yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss"

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I don't have anything overwhelmingly impressive, but on my first month at a job I volunteered to go do the leg work at one of our clients' stores. A tech walked me through the process on the phone but neglected to mention an important step which resulted in me broadcasting a blank program to all the other working devices in the store. Surprisingly I worked there another 6 years.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
There's no way i'm admitting any of my fuckups openly to you all.

That said I will happily continue to share other people's fuckups as long as it's anonymous.

For example, the time I witnessed (after I tried to be the voice of reason suggesting we double check and being told "balls to the wall man") a senior infrastructure engineer pull the storage fiber out of the back of a production vmware host. Right before lunch. Our vmware cluster was deep not wide, so that killed 100 or so VMs.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Doesn't count. Has to be something you did.