Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Fat Turkey posted:

I also like how the game state changes for TS. Cards which at the beginning give you VP, you easily ignore in favour of the OPs. But come late game with Wargames or scoring cards to come out, the same cards can become knife fights where you accept that you can't hold anywhere except the Middle East but you don't need to hold out if you just grab the 7ore points to win.

You can't ignore VP in the early game though, since the US is usually pushed right up against the wall if the USSR is doing at least ok. So you still have to do a balancing act of wanting to use the ops to improve your position long term while possibly having to take the VP to avoid getting an early loss.

I think the thing I really love about TS is that it captures the Cold War feel of lurching from crisis to crisis, and neither player really feels comfortable at any point. Similar to Paths of Glory (as you'd expect) where sometimes feels like both players are looking at their hands and the board, thinking that there are no good moves to be made, only less bad ones.

Also for all my smack talk about the AI I put the handicap to 3 and got a hounding, losing as the US as turn 4. So I might have to give it a bit more credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Twilight Struggle is 20% off on Steam until the 20th.

On which note: could I ask a Goon to do me a solid? My bank card had to be cancelled after an attempted identity theft last week and I don't get the new one until around Friday. If someone is willing to gift me a copy I'd be down to either trade something from my Steam stash, or buy you something of equivalent value once I can access my moolah again if there's nothing you want.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Jedit posted:

Twilight Struggle is 20% off on Steam until the 20th.

On which note: could I ask a Goon to do me a solid? My bank card had to be cancelled after an attempted identity theft last week and I don't get the new one until around Friday. If someone is willing to gift me a copy I'd be down to either trade something from my Steam stash, or buy you something of equivalent value once I can access my moolah again if there's nothing you want.
Sure, PM me your deets.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does anyone here have a card shoe recommendation and if so, does it work with sleeved cards (Ultra Pro Standards)? Millennium Blades' store deck is a goddamn tower. I imagine autoshufflers wouldn't work though :-(

Thanks in advance!

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Does anyone here have a card shoe recommendation and if so, does it work with sleeved cards (Ultra Pro Standards)? Millennium Blades' store deck is a goddamn tower. I imagine autoshufflers wouldn't work though :-(

Thanks in advance!

Can't you just split it into 2-3 smaller piles?

Edit: How about these? http://www.litko.net/categories/Card-Deck-Trays/

medchem fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 18, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Hosted up another game of nTTA http://www.boardgaming-online.com/index.php?cnt=10&msg=203

"Yet Another Game of Goons"
pw = stairs

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 18, 2016

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I lost a game to the Olympics thing with DEFCON as well, I thought I was being clever by playing an event the USSR wouldn't dare to shove over the edge (i.e. brinksmanship) but I didn't realize that the resolution is "if DEFCON blows up on your turn then you lose" I thought it was "if you blow DEFCON up, you lose". :goleft:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Quick food chain magnate question if I'm aiming for the first to hire 3 people milestone what should I aim for with my second recuitment in the second turn if the milestones are available, production marketing or training or should I just judge it by the game state at that point?

Or are the free management trainees a trap and I should go for the others straight away.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Rumda posted:

Quick food chain magnate question if I'm aiming for the first to hire 3 people milestone what should I aim for with my second recuitment in the second turn if the milestones are available, production marketing or training or should I just judge it by the game state at that point?

Or are the free management trainees a trap and I should go for the others straight away.

See what other people are doing.

And I've won all of my games with the First-To-Hire 3 milestone, for what it's worth.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Judge by the game. Depends on your strategy plan, which should depend on the board layout and your position as well as other players' actions.

As in most games, what to do basically comes down to either doing something different from what everyone else is doing, or doing the same thing but better/out-competing.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

COOL CORN posted:

I guess what I'm saying is that Caylus is a very puritan game. It does what it does very well but God help you if you try to have fun

Caylus pioneered the board game Puritan movement, that began when heretical worker placers migrated to complex euros to practice their lifestyle freely. Now we witch hunt ameritrash and burn Arkham Horror at the stake.

I don't care if I'm responding to a four-day old post. It needed to be said.

Food Chain Magnate related: what milestones you pick is all-but entirely based on any given game's board layout and reacting to other players. If there's any phrase to describe the nature of the hiring-employee card drafting in FCM, it's "counter-picking." I wonder if FCM players with more games under their belt can tell me if the game suffers from group-think when playing with the same people each game. Moreso, I want to hear if anyone has experienced a totally different game flow when playing with different people or when a new player joins in.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I remember Lorini said a new player to their group win using a strategy she'd never seen before.

I'm playing in a game where I started lean and tight to advertise and sell right out the gate and the three other players are growing their juggernaut companies, all three having gotten the "First to train" milestone. I have many of the others as a result. I think it left me with a much lower tolerance for mistakes though and I recently made a really bad goof. Now I have to pivot hard, we'll see if I'm sunk :shepface:

Anyway I had never played a game quite like it. It feels a little weird getting what you can knowing it aint gonna last if you're not on your A game.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Edit: posted in wrong thread. Do not post on phone while distracted at work!

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 18, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The Black Stones posted:

I've got an upcoming tournament in 2 weeks and I think I'm going to run my Stark deck for it. It has tons of high cost but the plots I run means I can afford it. Stark power rushing on characters is real. My second game I've played now I only won with 4 power on my house. 3 was on Sansa, 5 was on Blackfish, 2 on Robb and 1 on Eddard. I didn't even realize I won until I counted to see how much power I needed and I realized I was there. I had grabbed 5 power in one challenge, It was great. Wolves in the North made Stark a great contender.

Are you in the right thread?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Some Numbers posted:

Are you in the right thread?

nope

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Whoops. That's what I get for phone posting.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

dropkickpikachu posted:

A couple pages ago someone said to pick up Lost Legion before it's too late. Is that out of print or something? I haven't gotten a lot of play in yet of the MK base set, but now I'm nervous that if I don't make a CSI order soon I'll miss out on the expansion.

It's not out of print but historically Wizkids is slow to resupply, so you might be in for a wait if current stock runs out.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
Does the Steam port of Twilight Struggle support asynchronous multiplayer a-la playing over e-mail, or do you both have to be playing at the same time?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Obama 2012 posted:

Does the Steam port of Twilight Struggle support asynchronous multiplayer a-la playing over e-mail, or do you both have to be playing at the same time?

Async works fine.

Thanks for reminding me to take my turns!

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
So, uh, what am I supposed to do in Archipelago? I understand how the game works, but how do I play it so I win? So far my games seem to be like "oh just do stuff then the end game triggers and maybe you have some of those things and someone randomly wins." I am clearly missing something here.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Play for your goals, keep an eye on what everyone else leads out with because there's a good chance they're not being subtle about what they need to do for points.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

EvilChameleon posted:

So, uh, what am I supposed to do in Archipelago? I understand how the game works, but how do I play it so I win? So far my games seem to be like "oh just do stuff then the end game triggers and maybe you have some of those things and someone randomly wins." I am clearly missing something here.

Do what everyone else is doing most, but do it more. Heh..or at least try to be second best at everything. Oh and try not to piss off the natives.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

EvilChameleon posted:

If no one is hinting at what their scores are, go for the open one and yours first. That and try to have a little bit of everything (that scores points). It also helps if your group has some kind of player aid showing the ten objectives you're playing with.

And yes, keep ready for crises because they'll gently caress you up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Anyone interested in playing Rebellion on VASSAL the next few days?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Let it hereby be known that I owe Tekopo ~£9 in the next Steam sale for his kind gift of Twilight Struggle. (So there's no need for anyone else to ask if I need one.)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

StashAugustine posted:

Is there a module out already?

I'd be up for it. I'm GMT+1 and have most of this weekend free, maybe some nights during the week as well.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Jedit posted:

Let it hereby be known that I owe Tekopo ~£9 in the next Steam sale for his kind gift of Twilight Struggle. (So there's no need for anyone else to ask if I need one.)

But what will he do with 60 copies of Bad Rats? :confused:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Lichtenstein posted:

But what will he do with 60 copies of Bad Rats? :confused:

How about Bad Rats: The Board Game?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Something I just remembered. When I was playing A Study in Emerald, Player A got the check alignment card and checked Player B. They oh-ho-ho-ed about it, and I asked A if he could tell me what he saw. Now, put strategy aside, they said he wasn't allowed to (the card says something to that effect but I think I took it to mean he couldn't show the card). Was this rule correct?

If so, it reminds me of the Dead of Winter rule of not being able to trade items to fulfill your win condition just... because. There's no thematic reason, the game just needs to impose this restriction to make it balance. Is there a name for something like this?

Or were they wrong and he could have told me (or lied to me). I'm not saying it would have been in his best interests to tell me (we were fairly sure we were on the same side but I didn't know about B), just whether the game allows it as part of the strategy.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
1. Edition: You can say whatever you want.
2. Edition: You have to keep it secret. For some reason.

I haven't played 2. edition, but in 1. edition it's part of the bluffing.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

EvilChameleon posted:

A lot of responses so far, but you want to make sure you have at least a port and a market (preferably both) early in the game so you can sell goods without using an action, and stock up both markets in the event of crises. Alternatively if you have access to stone early on you can build churches to keep rebellion down, avoid having to pay for crises and make money via taxing.

Also protip - there are the same number of export crises for each good, but for domestic crises the number decreases as you go from fish to iron. So Most = Fish>Fruit>Meat>Stone>Lumber>Iron = Least. Fishing is useful to keep rebellion down and you can often make a fair bit of money since the market empties out fairly regularly.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Electric Hobo posted:

1. Edition: You can say whatever you want.
2. Edition: You have to keep it secret. For some reason.
4q

I haven't played 2. edition, but in 1. edition it's part of the bluffing.1

Ah, thanks. Yeah this was second edition. Yeah, I thought that a little silly.

Fat Turkey fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 19, 2016

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Played Poseidon for the first time last night, pretty nice and relatively light (4p game with 2 new players, finished in a little under 3 hours) 18xx set in ancient Greece. Did decently considering I had no clue what I was doing until like the third or fourth operating round, when things started clicking. Ended up coming in third, though the spread among the top 3 was really tight, something like 3040/3030/3000. I really like the dilemma you face between dropping tokens and selling shares since they're shared by the same piece, and once you start hitting the level 5 ships and higher the decision of whether to pay out or not gets rather tough as well. Definitely looking forward to playing that again.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The problem I have with Poseidon is that (IIRC) there is fixed income for paying out. So I ended up having one company that kept paying out, which fed money to my actual company, which is a pretty standard 18XX tactic but there is literally 0 risk in doing it.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Tekopo posted:

The problem I have with Poseidon is that (IIRC) there is fixed income for paying out. So I ended up having one company that kept paying out, which fed money to my actual company, which is a pretty standard 18XX tactic but there is literally 0 risk in doing it.

I assume you mean the other way around but yea, I thought that was kind of goofy though I didn't really have a good chance to pick up a second company in any case.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

The new Star Wars game? I'd be up for that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Sent Taran and Samurai pms

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Broken Loose posted:

http://www.polyhedroncollider.com/2016/04/dark-souls-board-game-preview.html

Wowee, look at this! Somebody played a preview version of the Dark Souls board game!

FFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

lovely board game adaptation misses the entire loving point of original IP, news at 11.

People keep linking me this and it looks awful. The card layouts and icons are horribly ugly, and there's tons of wasted space not used that could be used by bigger icons or text explanations of the rules.

The worst thing though is everything about it screams "we haven't played Dark Souls but we heard it was popular with the kids!". There's a focus on the "classes" of dark souls (not really a big thing in the games, although in other RPGs it is so lots of people assume) and most all of the game is based on Dark Souls 3, even though it just says "dark souls".

Feels like a horrible cash-in. Also lol at those lovely blank face dice. Couldn't just use normal dice and require you to roll 3+ or whatever, nope, gotta make you use our lovely half-useless D6s. So unique!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Namco released a mobile runner called Slashy Souls which, according to them, had nothing to do with Souls despite totally containing enemies and characters from the game. Just to let you know where this company is coming from and how they're treating the IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Zaphod42 posted:

Feels like a horrible cash-in. Also lol at those lovely blank face dice. Couldn't just use normal dice and require you to roll 3+ or whatever, nope, gotta make you use our lovely half-useless D6s. So unique!

It'd be interesting to find out if, psychologically, blank faces on dice are more depressing to roll. Like, at least if I roll a 1 or 2 I got something, it just wasn't enough. Perhaps the blank dice are actually more infuriating to play with and thus fit better with the Dark Souls theme, even if unintentionally.