Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh gently caress yeah it's Destiny Heroes time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

alcharagia posted:

Oh gently caress yeah it's Destiny Heroes time

You mean it's D-Time? :v:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Blaze Dragon posted:

You mean it's D-Time? :v:

Well I, as a fan, do want the D.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Julias posted:

He looks dumb. Being Commander-in-Chief, I can't wait for him to get run into the ground.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I for one, am happy to have the D back in our life.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
i have a good feeling ed is going to be all like "hey man im angsting over the loss of my people so i joined because blah blah blah inferiority complex shounen edge"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There's no way he's not turning.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Always and forever gonna be my favorite YGO Rival.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
(supposed) spoilers for the new movie

http://tachishini.tumblr.com/post/143242399662/yu-gi-oh-the-darkside-of-dimensions

I hope these are real because holy poo poo, that ending :allears:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Super stellar stuff, wish I could see it. Love all the little tidbits of it being the real manga canon. :allears:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

It's good that we've finally got a movie that can clear the low bar of being better than Pyramid of Light. Because the other Yugioh movies sure as hell couldn't even manage that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

http://tachishini.tumblr.com/post/143242399662/yu-gi-oh-the-darkside-of-dimensions

Joey doesn't get a duel, what the gently caress.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Joey doesn't get a duel, what the gently caress.

We've known that for months sadly. They've been revealing cards in the movie pack, and none of them were Joey related. It's all Kaiba, Yugi, and Aigami stuff.

Kay Kessler posted:

It's good that we've finally got a movie that can clear the low bar of being better than Pyramid of Light. Because the other Yugioh movies sure as hell couldn't even manage that.

I don't say this often because Little Kuriboh's work ain't what it used to be, but his abridged Bonds Beyond Time is a huge upgrade from the original.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Jou's excuse for not getting a duel is excellent tho, his duel disk is just too old and can't work properly even though this is a year later at most. It's amazing how ZeXal and Arc V made the disks literally be tablets yet this is when you can finally relate to duel disks as if they were smartphones/tablets.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Kaiba invading heaven just to duel Atem is loving amazing. Please let it be true

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 23, 2016

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Monaghan posted:

Kaiba invading heaven just to duel Atem is the loving amazing. Please let it be true

Which is weird because if this is manga canon, Atem really should be burning in Hell

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

Which is weird because if this is manga canon, Atem really should be burning in Hell

He dueled his way out.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Kay Kessler posted:

So, uh, I haven't read the manga. Care to explain? :stare:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Dexie posted:

So, uh, I haven't read the manga. Care to explain? :stare:

He's loving crazy. If you play a game with Yami and all you get is killed, consider yourself lucky.

One example: Someone took his class's spot for the school festival, so he challenged the guy to a game of ice hockey - using a vial of nitroglycerin for the puck.

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 23, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That was awesome

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't forget the time he literally burned a dude alive
Or destroyed a woman's face
Or made a dude deaf
Or made it so a guy only saw things as money or mosaic

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean all things considered Kaiba got off pretty easy with just a mind crush despite the fact he did far worse things than any of the people Atem outright killed or destroyed the lives of

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Don't forget the time he forced mokuba to eat poison.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Yeah, Atem had a pretty sweet "duel with the devil" thing going on before he got hooked on card games and mostly mellowed out.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It also needs to be remembered that back when Atem was doing this he was just a spirit of judgment that was meant to dish out harsh punishments to horrible people who wronged the innocents of this world. Sort of like Batman, but more murdery. He's not meant to be a person, so much as a force of nature or the typical personification of Japanese deities. You're not meant to transpose basic human morality onto him, he just is what he is.

However, with the series shift in focus he has to become an actual character and the anime had long since swept that poo poo under the rug and seeing the movie actually say "No the manga is right" brings all sorts of amazing implications to the forefront.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I never read it, but how did the manga deal with the shift to card games and all that? Did it just kinda ignore the previous stuff Atem got up to or is it still like a part of his character? I vaguely remember hearing that in the manga version of duelist kingdom Atem is like super up for killing Kaiba when he makes his dumb suicide threat, moreso than in the anime. But other than that was there anything else?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's just never really acknowledged

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

One of the weirder changes from the manga to the anime was the fake kaiba duel. In the manga it's just a ventriloquist that has a kaiba dummy. No one ever thought it was the real Kaiba, but the dummy constantly claiming to be angered Yami so much that it threw him off his game. In the anime, there's a whole thing with everyone wondering if it really is him, along with Kaiba hacking the Duel for some reason.

Even weirder, while the dub made it so that the fake Kaiba was actually his dark side that Yugi mind crushed out of him, the japanese version had it be "he's a shapeshifter. By the way, shapeshifters exist apparently."

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I mean, regardless of all the terrible poo poo Atem did, he did kinda save the world from Zorc, soooooo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Also this isn't some christian movie, this is all egyptian stuff, Atem went to his own part of the afterlife with all his possessions like a Pharaoh would. I really love the ending of Kaiba essentially making his own modern-day sarcophagus in order to reach Atem in the afterlife, maybe hopefully it doesn't kill him but c'mon

A couple of people who live in Japan on another forum also saw it and that tumblr post is exactly right and god it sounds so good.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
My only peeve with the movie is Kisara being absent despite the tie in manga implying she would have a role

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

My only peeve with the movie is Kisara being absent despite the tie in manga implying she would have a role

What do you mean absent? She's been a huge gently caress-off not-quite-white dragon with blue eyes for 95% of the manga and anime and that is her role in this movie as well. :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm kinda disappointed Yugi can't save the day on his own and needed Atem to come back to bail him out, but I guess it's probably fair enough that Yugi would need help with a Shadow Game.

More disappointed that Silent Magician doesn't show up, come on! They showed every one of Yugi's own monsters except her.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

All hail LV, the only mechanic less successful than Union.

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

Hello from Japan. I saw a special screening of the movie yesterday. I am not a fluent speaker, but here's a quick and dirty summary some 13 hours after my showing ended:

Kaiba built a space station complete with space elevator, all so he can have "private" tantrums over his crush on Atem. Aigami uses his magical powers to insert himself in Yugi & friends lives. Turns out Aigami, his sister and a bunch of other "ancient Egypt" orphans were adopted by Shaadi for mystical bullshit reasons.

DSoD establishes the YGO multiverse at least insofar as the Duel Monsters manga is concerned. Arc-V does not apply here, as the opening graphic of the movie implies that there are hundreds of possible realities as opposed to just four. Also, unlike Arc-V the focus of the movie only sticks to DM-era summoning methods. I think Kaiba used fusion once. There are no summoning chants.

Aigami generally terrorizes everyone in between some character building. The most significant being when he confronts Bakura about the Ring. We get a flashback to an alternate dimension where Bakura's father tries to buy the Ring off Shaadi with a bag full of cash. Shaadi tells that motherfucker to try on the Ring and it ends poorly. Bitty Bakura Ryou is watching from the side. After his dad gets a hole blown in his chest, Ryou picks up the Ring. His shirt flies off and tiny little alternate dimension Yami Bakura murders Shaadi.

Back in Dimension Kaiba-has-no-chill, Kaiba stops traffic in the middle of a busy intersection to tell Yugi he's retrieved the Puzzle, and that Yugi will be dueling in a very public spectacle. Yugi tells Kaiba to politely gently caress off and nearly gets hit by a truck. Yugi is saved by Aigami's sister who is trying to ruin Aigami's plans because justice or something. Bakura vanishes into the multiverse for about fifteen minutes.

Kaiba packs the stadium seen in Battle City, murders a Blue Angels-esq pilot with Blue Eyes, and introduces his new Duel Disc by way of a duel between King of Games Motou Yugi and... that guy, Aigami. This is after Kaiba has kidnapped and imprisoned Aigami for stealing pieces of the Puzzle back in Egypt. They duel, Yugi wins.

It is here that the highlight of the movie takes place. Yugi reveals that he has the remaining Puzzle pieces. He fits them into said Puzzle and presses the center piece into place. Nothing loving happens. It's a fine piece of comedy as Yugi has been saying to Kaiba all along that his other self is no longer connected to the Puzzle. Yugi and Kaiba have an impressive duel.

Aigami resurrects himself with the power of the Ring. He appears in his final form which is so Takahashi it hurts. Yugi and Kaiba team up. Kaiba activates a trap card that redirects the killing blow against Yugi to himself and dies. There's a neat animation sequence of Yugi losing his will to Aigami's Hellraiser-esq puzzle box of dimensional consumption. Atem appears, wordlessly defeats Aigami who dies spectacularly. There's a scene where Yugi acknowledges his other self and then the movie wraps up.

My screening was special because after the credits rolled and the house lights came up, in walks Tsuda and Kazama along with Aigami's VA, his sister's VA and DSoD director. What followed was fifteen minutes of live ribbing between Tsuda and Kazama re: Kaiba's crush on Atem and Yugi letting Anzu go to New York at the end of the movie. It was amazing to see them in real life and I will post more complete notes later. Goodnight all.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

mistressminako posted:

Hello from Japan. I saw a special screening of the movie yesterday. I am not a fluent speaker, but here's a quick and dirty summary some 13 hours after my showing ended:

I love this post because it confirms that the ending basically is true. Aside from being vague about the final final bit. Can't wait to actually see this insanity.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So is the movie good

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It establishes that Kaiba has an insane mancrush on Atem that he will stop at nothing to sate.

So yes.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
There's no mention of the Ishtars or Mai in that post, so no it sucks :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

There are sadly no Ishtars or Mai in the movie. There is plenty of Otogi.