Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Guys, I just finished God of Cookery. What... what the gently caress did I just watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Guys, I just finished God of Cookery. What... what the gently caress did I just watch?

I sold my wife on it by telling her it's like a Chinese "Jiro Dreams of Sushi". She still hasn't quite forgiven me, but it was worth it for the look on her face throughout.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008

G-III posted:

Deadful Melody is what you want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F542CJFAIwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cchea82TWg0

And after seeing a baby get bull-whipped out of a movie with efficient speed you should watch "Flying Dagger" for something a little more light hearted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bAWBZB8kjc

Thanks for these recommends; it was nice to see some solid 90s wuxia that was new to me.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Man Dancer posted:

Thanks for these recommends; it was nice to see some solid 90s wuxia that was new to me.

Fire Dragon a/k/a/ The Fiery Dragon Kid is pretty awesome. Brigette Lin and Max Mok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB2ityaEVAg

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 27, 2016

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Man Dancer posted:

For these types of movies an easy rule would be if it stars Brigitte Lin, you should watch it. Examples:

Swordsman II & III

Bride with White Hair 1 & 2

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

G-III posted:

For these types of movies an easy rule would be if it stars Brigitte Lin, you should watch it. Examples:

Swordsman II & III

Bride with White Hair 1 & 2

Fantasy Mission Force...(yeah it's 1984 but who cares...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRd0Kg8AXNs

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 4, 2016

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Thaddius the Large posted:

I sold my wife on it by telling her it's like a Chinese "Jiro Dreams of Sushi". She still hasn't quite forgiven me, but it was worth it for the look on her face throughout.

sever

god of cookery is the best chow movie imo

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

sever

god of cookery is the best chow movie imo
Does there exist a version with decent subtitles? The one I have is in parts barely understandable.

Some time ago I didn't pay close attention when looking for The One Armed Swordsman on youtube and ended up watching One Armed Swordsmen instead. It was pretty terrible but in an amazing way: The plot revolves around a protracted nonsensical murder mystery, everybody has just one arm and the final fight happens in a henhouse with chickens flying all over.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

true.spoon posted:

Does there exist a version with decent subtitles? The one I have is in parts barely understandable.

Half the fun of "God of Cookery" is wondering if the translation is really bad, or if they are actually having conversations about "pissing shrimp balls".

And lo and behold, they are.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

I dare to go to hell to fight.
I'm willing to sacrifice for buddies.
I'm willing to die for girls.

I've never had this experience before.
The freshness of beef
with the sweetness of shrimps.
This combination
even better than royal dishes.
They're even better than
my first love memory.
Looking at the moon which
reminds me thinking of homeland.

Super-style cutting!
Supreme-style chopping!
Good Chopping!
So fast!
Eighteen-style frying!
Dog-beating sauteeing!
Good frying!

Good ''Flying Skills''!
The secret of ''Flying Skills''
it can make a man as heavy as a seal fly up high in the sky,
and make ghosts cry.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Fantasy Mission Force...(yeah it's 1984 but who cares...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRd0Kg8AXNs

I went into this blind when I picked up a dvd collection of really early Jackie Chan flicks at a pawn shop and to this day question still come to me about this movie when my mind wanders.

Mostly, "Why?" "How?" "What??"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Rumor is Triads and poor business decisions

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Are there good/recommended Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest DVD collections out there? If so, what are they?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

SlipUp posted:

I went into this blind when I picked up a dvd collection of really early Jackie Chan flicks at a pawn shop and to this day question still come to me about this movie when my mind wanders.

Mostly, "Why?" "How?" "What??"

I grabbed a similar if not the same set (it's packed away downstairs somewhere, but did it come in a metal box?) a decade ago when I was planning to get my wisdom teeth pulled, I figured I'd grab some movies for while I was recovering. To this day I can't bring myself to go back at watch them, going through that film while cruising on painkillers was an experience I know I'll never be able to recreate and any attempt will just be a letdown.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

Are there good/recommended Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest DVD collections out there? If so, what are they?

The mythical zii eagle if you want Shaw flicks...

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Today I made the mistake of watching "Legend of the Liquid Sword"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTcNCOtX6uQ

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
That is the last thing I'd consider a mistake.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

G-III posted:

Today I made the mistake of watching "Legend of the Liquid Sword"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTcNCOtX6uQ

Wtf, with a title and a screengrab like that, I need to see this now.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I am very embarrassed, all this time I've been hearing that Dragon Inn might be getting a Criterion collection release I thought people were talking about Tsui Hark's "New Dragon Gate Inn" which I've always known as just "Dragon Inn" and now I'm disappointed, although I'm sure King Hu's Dragon Inn is awesome and I'm happy that I get to watch it now!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

moller posted:

There's that movie where Gordon Liu marries a ninja. It has a strong female lead and as far as I know, no one dies horribly. It's still mostly a Gordon Liu movie though, and Gordon is a snore to watch in action as always.

That's Heroes of the East, aka Shaolin Challenges Ninja. It's pretty funny, and IIRC nobody dies and it's basically bloodless.

Also Gordon Liu is great. :mad:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

You have badmouthed Gordon Liu, I'll defeat you with my Crab style!

::Scuttles into pond::

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Yeah who in their right mind thinks Gordon Liu is boring? You had better be joking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLDJ2QteN7c

moller
Jan 10, 2007

I'm not entirely sure what I was on about when I wrote that. I think Gordon Liu is awesome in 'serious' movies like 8 Diagram Pole FIghter and Master Killer but I feel like he was sometimes shoehorned into indie-style kung fu comedies where he comes off as an aloof tryhard.

It actually worked in Heroes of the East because he was playing a straight man to the out-there supporting cast. But even in that film there were some instances - like his attempt to learn drunken boxing by having his entourage get beaten up by a Beggar So type - where his lack of slapstick ability was apparent. Of course, his character in that film was a snotty rich guy so it was arguably in character for him to be overly stiff and formal when attempting to imitate Lau Kar Leung's moves.

It's sort of like there are two clear archetypes for kung-fu protagonists: the polite, deadly, conflicted moralist (think Jet Li as Wong Fei Hung) and the good-natured loafer prodigy (think Jackie Chan as Wong Fei Hung) and never the twain shall meet.*

I realize it's quite a backpedal, but I don't think I was intending to say that Liu's fighting wasn't cool and exciting, just that his fighting wasn't funny. This is, of course, terribly subjective, and I assume someone can come up with a counterexample of Gordon Liu being a total crackup. I mean, he was pretty hilarious in Kill Bill.

*except in the Wong Jing directed Deadly China Hero

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

moller posted:

I'm not entirely sure what I was on about when I wrote that. I think Gordon Liu is awesome in 'serious' movies like 8 Diagram Pole FIghter and Master Killer but I feel like he was sometimes shoehorned into indie-style kung fu comedies where he comes off as an aloof tryhard.

It actually worked in Heroes of the East because he was playing a straight man to the out-there supporting cast. But even in that film there were some instances - like his attempt to learn drunken boxing by having his entourage get beaten up by a Beggar So type - where his lack of slapstick ability was apparent. Of course, his character in that film was a snotty rich guy so it was arguably in character for him to be overly stiff and formal when attempting to imitate Lau Kar Leung's moves.

It's sort of like there are two clear archetypes for kung-fu protagonists: the polite, deadly, conflicted moralist (think Jet Li as Wong Fei Hung) and the good-natured loafer prodigy (think Jackie Chan as Wong Fei Hung) and never the twain shall meet.*

I realize it's quite a backpedal, but I don't think I was intending to say that Liu's fighting wasn't cool and exciting, just that his fighting wasn't funny. This is, of course, terribly subjective, and I assume someone can come up with a counterexample of Gordon Liu being a total crackup. I mean, he was pretty hilarious in Kill Bill.

Fists of the White Lotus (1980) , maybe?

e: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x31w0ny
Movie owns super hard, has Lau Kar-leung choreography and features a grandpa getting his balls ripped off in the first 3 minutes

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 19, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

moller posted:

Jet Li loves doing comedy though. Look at Hitman and the two Fong Sai Yuk movies.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I just can't fathom how anyone can see Gordon Liu in something like Lady is the Boss and think he is incapable of humor. Especially during the end fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3P8ZVBV_j8

Additionally, go watch the CHAINSAW FIGHT at the end of Tiger on Beat and get educated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV_neMUheo8

General rule here: if there is a movie that involves Lau Kar Leung in any way, YOU WATCH IT.

G-III fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 19, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

G-III posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV_neMUheo8

General rule here: if there is a movie that involves Lau Kar Leung in any way, YOU WATCH IT.

Chow Yun Fat doing the world's greatest Chow Yun Fat impression and one of the two good movies Conan Lee has ever been in. Eliminators is the other and I'll cut any bitch that says it isn't!

moller
Jan 10, 2007

This thread is the best thread because I make a lovely generalization and my punishment is several kickass recommendations.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Chow Yun Fat doing the world's greatest Chow Yun Fat impression [...]

I love Tiger On Beat, but I feel like this statement better describes his role in Ringo Lam's Full Contact.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

moller posted:

This thread is the best thread because I make a lovely generalization and my punishment is several kickass recommendations.

I love Tiger On Beat, but I feel like this statement better describes his role in Ringo Lam's Full Contact.

The tooled leather eyeshade, the LeCar, and the egg drinking scene just send Tiger on Beat over the top.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What are some of the really good Zatoichi movies? I've seen up to movie 6 and I remember liking them all quite a bit. I'm also wondering when the TV series comes into play. Did the theatrical run end then it became a series or did the series happen during the run of the movies?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Jimbot posted:

What are some of the really good Zatoichi movies? I've seen up to movie 6 and I remember liking them all quite a bit. I'm also wondering when the TV series comes into play. Did the theatrical run end then it became a series or did the series happen during the run of the movies?

Honestly, most of them are pretty drat good. Zatoichi '89 is loving awesome, though.

The TV series started airing in 1974, the last film aside from '89 was released in 1973.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 25, 2016

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Jimbot posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Fury

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
You say that as a joke but it is a pretty fun movie.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

You say that as a joke but it is a pretty fun movie.

With my taste I can't even tell when I'm joking anymore.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Honestly, most of them are pretty drat good. Zatoichi '89 is loving awesome, though.

The TV series started airing in 1974, the last film aside from '89 was released in 1973.

I was pretty shocked while working my way through the whole set of Zatoichi movies that every single one was good. I don't think that's ever happened to me before. Even in sets of like 5 movies there's usually one in there that sucks.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

RichterIX posted:

I was pretty shocked while working my way through the whole set of Zatoichi movies that every single one was good. I don't think that's ever happened to me before. Even in sets of like 5 movies there's usually one in there that sucks.

In fairness, it probably helps that they're basically all the same movie.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Mechafunkzilla posted:

In fairness, it probably helps that they're basically all the same movie.

That's true, but for whatever reason that didn't make me lose interest while I slogged through every single one of them over the course of a month. They must be doing something right, at any rate.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Jimbot posted:

Oh man, you should have gotten to film 7, because honestly, that's the best one I've seen so far. It has such a great final battle, and it's just so masterfully pulled off. They really went to the next level on that film. It's called Zatoichi's Flashing Sword.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

I like the one where he befriends a prostitute and pisses off the local mob by beating them at gambling.

moller fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The Flying Guillotine print on Hulu is one of the most amazing things I've seen in my life. And I look at cool images for a living.