Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

voltcatfish posted:

Also I was really sloppy with npcs, hosed up a lot of quests, and just didn't meet some of them so I'd just like a clarification:

Does this game have a Yurt like npc or no?

No, it does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

GreyPowerVan posted:

health and endurance to 40 if you have nothing else to do

I'm thinking either this, or I'll pick a non-melee stat and play around with some of these spells I've been collecting for trophies and then not using.

voltcatfish posted:

Also I was really sloppy with npcs, hosed up a lot of quests, and just didn't meet some of them so I'd just like a clarification:

Does this game have a Yurt like npc or no?

Not really. One NPC asks you to kill another like Mephistopheles did, and that's as close at it really gets.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hamsterlady posted:

I'm thinking either this, or I'll pick a non-melee stat and play around with some of these spells I've been collecting for trophies and then not using.

Not really. One NPC asks you to kill another like Mephistopheles did, and that's as close at it really gets.

They also don't really care if you follow through on that request or not.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Is there a rough estimate for what level I should be for what zone somewhere?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Captain Oblivious posted:

Untended Graves seems to be

Firelink Shrine, in the past. You're the one who worked over Champion Gundyr, leading to him becoming Iudex Gundyr in the future/present.

So it's the Giant Lord paradox all over again?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Internet Kraken posted:

No she isn't. She moves around the room at the pace of a snail and has awful gap closers. Maintaining distance is easy and homeward boning out should never be an issue unless you panic and do it right in her face.

:thejoke:

Soral
May 30, 2009

i walked to a bonfire to spend my souls after the game teleported me to that second boss room after i beat a guy. maybe youre not as careful as me but spinning the camera around and seeing all the summon signs outside the door is a pretty big loving tip off

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Soral posted:

i walked to a bonfire to spend my souls after the game teleported me to that second boss room after i beat a guy. maybe youre not as careful as me but spinning the camera around and seeing all the summon signs outside the door is a pretty big loving tip off

Also the room is crammed full of bloodstains even though there's no obvious threat. (when I first started I assumed people kited the knights from outside in and died)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Mindblast posted:

It's not where you fight the tree I think. It's too distant for it and the shape doesn't match. Go to the first bonfire of the settlement zone and look in the distance to the left of the block of brown houses that are clearly just part of the background.

Ok from waaaaay, way back, but I figured out what building you were talking about and what it is, I'm pretty sure. Anor Londo

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Smouldering Lake WAS my least favourite area based off its unintuitive design, and grueling grueling pace.

I was wrong

Archdragon Peak can gently caress off straight to loving hell. There should never, ever ever, be a bonfire where as soon as you leave you either have to fight a lightning enchanted NPC knight or, if you're really special, HAVEL THE loving ROCK.

Getting past that is sure to wear you the gently caress down and then you have the rest of the level to go because you can't refresh your estus, they come right back.

Lid fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 19, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Try Dashing

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Best weapon for ripostes?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Lid posted:

Smouldering Lake WAS my least favourite area based off its unintuitive design, and grueling grueling pace.

I was wrong

Archdragon Peak can gently caress off straight to loving hell. There should never, ever ever, be a bonfire where as soon as you leave you either have to fight a lightning enchanted NPC knight or, if you're really special, HAVEL THE loving ROCK.

Getting past that is sure to wear you the gently caress down and then you have the rest of the level to go because you can't refresh your estus, they come right back.

I really liked AP since It felt like I was really up in the mix. up till then I felt as if the zones were difficult, though not spectacularly so, or spectacularly inspired (they're all awesome, but AP really took it away for me)

It felt like a DLC zone they added in for launch. Also the opening sequence feels like indiana jones and the temple of "AH gently caress IM ON FIRE"

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Lid posted:

I was wrong

tough enemy ahead therefore
dashing required ahead

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Lid posted:

Maybe it's because I fought him so many times in Dark Souls 1, but I felt like Havel was significantly easier than the knight as far as potential enemies in that room go. He's tankier and takes longer which is annoying, but it's easier to avoid his attacks than the other guy.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Fly Molo posted:

^120ish.

Hug the butt and R1. That's Dark Souls!

I didn't mean the fight itself. I like the fight a lot, including the mean and tricksy way it starts

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Hamsterlady posted:

Maybe it's because I fought him so many times in Dark Souls 1, but I felt like Havel was significantly easier than the knight as far as potential enemies in that room go. He's tankier and takes longer which is annoying, but it's easier to avoid his attacks than the other guy.

Same. I had to back roll and heal a few times, but otherwise I just did the same poo poo of baiting a big attack and smashing with my giant slab of sword.

No different than other enemies, just more HP.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah it's worth fighting the knight once because (I think?) that's how you get one of the armor sets, but after that you can just run up the stairs and the enemy tracking is really lovely. Most of the time they'll just stand where they spawned and maybe walk slowly up a couple steps and then turn back around.

It's a really fun area for invasions if you are a dick though, because half the time the host and his phantom crew will be busy fighting the knight and if you get in the mix quickly you can stir up a bunch of chaos. Especially since if they don't realize how it works yet, the knights will keep coming back.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I liked Archdragon Peak a lot

The zones I probably liked the least where the Catacombs and the Dungeon.Maybe I'm claustrophobic or maybe I just hated the army of fleet-footed bleed-causing skeletons and life-bar draining jailers. Either way, in a game full of sweet zones, those two are the ones I don't look forward to revisiting in subsequent playthroughs

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i liked and enjoyed every area except smouldering lake. thank gently caress it's optional.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I really liked Smouldering Lake, because they basically said "let's take another shot at Lost Izalith and actually finish it. We'll even remake the Demon King boss but make him not a copy of another boss except on fire."

And I just appreciated that in concept.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Hamsterlady posted:

I really liked Smouldering Lake, because they basically said "let's take another shot at Lost Izalith and actually finish it. We'll even remake the Demon King boss but make him not a copy of another boss except on fire."

I don't dislike the zone but since when is Lost Izalith a chalice dungeon? The Profaned Capital looks more like Izalith, minus the lava

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Hamsterlady posted:

Honestly this was the case for me too, as the combos are quite slow and telegraphed. the other guy was fast and the ,lightning enchant meant you couldn't even shield correctly. Not to mention he loves spamming the art attack and stun locks. It was the first time the game came across as genuinely unfair, and I'm someone who didn't mind Irithyl Dungeon that much because you learn from your mistakes, in this case it was "nothing really to learn, this guy will just gently caress you up."

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

Hamsterlady posted:

I still thought that it also felt cheap because they sort of just use the modular grid of generic catacomb pieces. I guess I'll take efficient level art over the glowing orange field of butt dinosaurs followed by the "run forward and roll once" boss any day.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Just beat the Consumed King. That... sure was a thing. Good fight. gently caress that charge, though.

I got him most of the way down, but then found a way to cheese him, but again he was nearly dead so I'm cool with it.

there's the big tree near the back right of the area. If you can lure him into the 'bowl' of the tree and wall, then run around to the other side, he'll continuously try to charge but won't move, and you can throw spells through the hole in the roots or even run forward and smack his face a bit

I can get a video tomorrow, in case someone really wants to see?

e; I think that was actually the first boss I beat in one try so far :shobon:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Space Hamlet posted:

I don't dislike the zone but since when is Lost Izalith a chalice dungeon? The Profaned Capital looks more like Izalith, minus the lava

Yeah, it's pretty reminiscent of Chalice Dungeons. It was at least meant to be a throwback to Lost Izalith, and it wasn't 80% empty space like the original, so it felt like they said "let's try that same concept again but now we'll make it an actual zone"

A zone made of parts from another area, but at least it wasn't an empty field of lava with haphazardly placed enemies.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

Mazerunner posted:

Just beat the Consumed King. That... sure was a thing. Good fight. gently caress that charge, though.

I got him most of the way down, but then found a way to cheese him, but again he was nearly dead so I'm cool with it.

there's the big tree near the back right of the area. If you can lure him into the 'bowl' of the tree and wall, then run around to the other side, he'll continuously try to charge but won't move, and you can throw spells through the hole in the roots or even run forward and smack his face a bit

I can get a video tomorrow, in case someone really wants to see?

e; I think that was actually the first boss I beat in one try so far :shobon:

I found him super easy compared to other bosses at that point in the game. Most of his swings just don't hit if you just stay near him. I probably just lucked out on his AI deciding to let me off easy.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Hamsterlady posted:

Yeah, it's pretty reminiscent of Chalice Dungeons. It was at least meant to be a throwback to Lost Izalith, and it wasn't 80% empty space like the original, so it felt like they said "let's try that same concept again but now we'll make it an actual zone"

A zone made of parts from another area, but at least it wasn't an empty field of lava with haphazardly placed enemies.

It could've been worse Imagine if Smouldering Lake had the mobs of Lost Izalith rather than the tree people.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Hamsterlady posted:

As long as they're using a generic grid of Dungeon Blox to make an area, they oughta have it actually regenerate itself for each playthrough - would be much more welcome in that dosage

I know, pie in the sky. But they do have the tech!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Megafunk posted:

I found him super easy compared to other bosses at that point in the game. Most of his swings just don't hit if you just stay near him. I probably just lucked out on his AI deciding to let me off easy.

Yeah when I could get in close he was easy, but he'd constantly charge or swoop across the room... and then do it again when I was trying to catch up, and once again be across the room, and so on. His charge is like, his only dangerous move because it's so fast with zero windup.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Honestly, I'm just a Dark Souls 1 fangirl, so throwback zones really get me, even if it's a clear example of running low on time and money since they used cookie cutter bits to build it (you could consider that part of the throwback!)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Honestly I wouldn't mind if they made a kind of chalice dungeon feature for this game. Instead of just fighting repeat bosses they could even throw in some returning bosses from the past games.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Did anyone else switch from using a gamepad to keyboard and mouse for the Nameless King? It was so much easier to follow the stupid view angles in the first phase and I somehow do better using right click to dodge roll instead of a controller face button.

Mazerunner posted:

Yeah when I could get in close he was easy, but he'd constantly charge or swoop across the room... and then do it again when I was trying to catch up, and once again be across the room, and so on. His charge is like, his only dangerous move because it's so fast with zero windup.

I don't think I even got an opportunity to see that move. Now I feel like co-oping just to see what his other moves are. Any boss with a gap closer is a real bastard if they decide to use it while you're unprepared.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Megafunk posted:

Did anyone else switch from using a gamepad to keyboard and mouse for the Nameless King? It was so much easier to follow the stupid view angles in the first phase and I somehow do better using right click to dodge roll instead of a controller face button.

I've only played with a kb+m :smug:

Its actually not that bad except when I fight things sometimes my camera likes to rotate a random direction around me if I'm not locked on, which is a bitch in icetown with the invisible stabbers

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
I fought Champion in untended graves many times for souls and sun medals. It was amazing whenever I did a lunge attack with FUGS, and his horizontal attack would just barely miss my head because I'm leaning forward.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Hamsterlady posted:

Honestly, I'm just a Dark Souls 1 fangirl, so throwback zones really get me, even if it's a clear example of running low on time and money since they used cookie cutter bits to build it (you could consider that part of the throwback!)

I hear ya, it's just a shame that the original Izalith manages to top the new one with regards to its distinctive architecture - although obviously not in terms of playability. Aside from the big lava pool you could almost say Smoldering Lake is anywhere you want! Make it dark and you've got the tomb of the giants. In terms of revisiting the concept of Izalith and making it a distinctive and playable zone, the stealth section in Sunken King kinda does that more meaningfully than Smoldering Lake, imo.

Finding the Fair Lady's remains and the illusory wall leading to a chest leading to another illusory wall were fun callbacks, though (even if it's real sad that ash lake wasn't behind that second wall), and it's a pretty good boss, so I don't mean to complain, I just couldn't get those same jollies as much as I'd have liked them

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Catedral of the Deep or Farron Keep? I've been purple phantoming the last 2-3 hours in the first bonfire of the Cathedral, but I guess I should eventually play the rest of the game.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Anyone know if you can get blue hits while sitting at a bonfire? I'm going to get these 30 ears even if it kills me.

Also, whoever said you can't drop covenant rewards earlier is just flat-out wrong. In fact, you have to drop one for crow trading.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
The only thing you really lose with kb/m is having more than 8 direction movement, I guess. That's not super important unless you need to not roll off the edge of the rafters in some areas. My ps3 controller also likes to restart the driver every time I jiggle it slightly so that may have affected my decision as that resulted in some fun "pray the driver turns on in time and lets me roll out of the way" moments.