Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Just announced, five minutes OT kicking each way, if scores are tied at the end of the ten minutes, the siren won't sound for the second period and play will continue until the next score which will win the match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Memento posted:

The AFL Commission is meeting today, and one thing on their agenda is whether or not to play a Grand Final again in the event of a draw. Clearly if they decide that the status quo regarding that is acceptable then they're shitwits of the highest order, but does anyone know if they're also going to be discussing the 2012 Brownlow?

Possibly? But if they do nothing will be put into place until the appeal by the players is done. Even if the appeal won't effect their suspension it would/could change their status as drug cheats so they are probably in a holding pattern until that goes through.

Re GF replay: I can see them doing some loving moronic poo poo where if there is an interstate team involved they will add extra time so they/their supporters don't have to come back at short notice. But then if it's two Victorian teams they'd uphold VFL traditions or something and do a replay for the extra $$ which I'm sure they are not wanting to miss a chance at. Hopefully sanity prevails.

e: ^^ sanity prevails.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Carlton v Collingwood is now on election night. Imagine if a loss there is the game that kills Bucks. Turnbull/Shorten + Buckley all in one day!

e: man, Facebook comments on articles don't like this change. "Leave the game alone!" "Whatever happened to tradition!" "This means st kilda should have won the 2010 premiership!"

I think Facebook is worse than bigfooty these days. Last time I checked bigfooty was when it was said that Hep was looking to sue the club and I was surprised how many people in the Essendon forum were completely agreeing with him and thought he had every right, whilst on Facebook...

thepokey fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 19, 2016

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
10 minutes is a pretty short OT.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Negligent posted:

isnt thats what is in place for elimination/prelim finals anyway?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-early-banner-of-the-year-contender/news-story/544ba460d8a1395046f9ef60d2c7264e

Doggies banners greatest hits

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

snaeksikn posted:

isnt thats what is in place for elimination/prelim finals anyway?

Yep, it's uniform across all finals now.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Guess we have to look to the tribunal for today's AFL idiocy

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Negligent posted:

I'm fine with this considering it will be at the end of the granny - anyway was long enough for North to kick 4 goals in '94 :argh:CAREY:argh:

A bit of debate about whether the winning score should be a point or a goal, well, a point's good enough if the other team hasn't been able to nail it. I actually like the idea of not blowing the siren until there's a decisive score rather than having a second reset.

I will miss the shrieking about ruined weddings though like we got in 2010.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I'm fine with a point because a point would have been enough to end it within the OT.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I think a goal would be funner to watch though. Teams would have to approach offense differently if they actually needed to get a good shot on goal. With a behind they'll just launch it from a mile out and try to get a rushed.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Volkerball posted:

I think a goal would be funner to watch though. Teams would have to approach offense differently if they actually needed to get a good shot on goal. With a behind they'll just launch it from a mile out and try to get a rushed.
If a point's good enough for Plugger it's good enough for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfSpjX82Ij8

I mean, in rugby they have golden points all the time, a field goal's good enough for that. (About the only time you see them is in tight games.)

Just as long as they keep draws a thing in the home-and-away because I like the existential angst and also because they break up the ladder nicely.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

the one about the giants is great

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
May plead guilty. Just waiting to see how many years he gets.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Deadly Hume posted:

I will miss the shrieking about ruined weddings though like we got in 2010.

This unironically

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Volkerball posted:

May plead guilty. Just waiting to see how many years he gets.

Pleas aren't supposed to count for anything when referred directly to tribunal, but this is the AFL so

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

quote:

6:03pm: Tony Burns is now summarising for the Tribunal. He says the suggestion from Gleeson QC that this could fit into intentional is "the most unfair thing I've ever heard put in this Tribunal (and) I ask you to reject it." Chairman Ross Howie directs the jury not to consider the possibility it was intentional.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hahahhaha I didn't realise Gold Coast in addition to having Melbourne's first round pick this year, have the second rounders of: Richmond, Fremantle, Port Adelaide.

:holymoley:

lol

Right when those clubs could all use a few high draft picks too. Didn't Collingwood trade away their picks this year as well?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Grand final replays are good you people consistently have bad opinions

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Well Freo and Port got Bennell and Dixon out of the deal, so they could've been done worse.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

realbez posted:

Grand final replays are good you people consistently have bad opinions

Any grand final where you can walk away not having a clear winner is a bad grand final this isnt under 11 auskick.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
does the interchange cap have a provision for extra time?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
The siren doesn't sound to signify golden point? That is truely idiotic.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Gleeson wants at least least five weeks for May, could get longer based on priors

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

lol

Right when those clubs could all use a few high draft picks too. Didn't Collingwood trade away their picks this year as well?

Yeah Collingwood traded their first pick away :laugh:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Testekill posted:

Gleeson wants at least least five weeks for May, could get longer based on priors

They were talking about having the early guilty plea and the prior record cancelling each other out.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

5 matches. Weak as piss yet again tribunal. The AFL can crow all they want about how the head is sacrosanct, but their systems yet again fail when it actually counts.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

They were talking about having the early guilty plea and the prior record cancelling each other out.

Yeah, looks like that's how it went. 5 weeks. Good job dumbass.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Guilty pleas are meant to have nothing to do with it once it is referred to the tribunal.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

realbez posted:

Guilty pleas are meant to have nothing to do with it once it is referred to the tribunal.

Even the prosecutor was trying to put in mitigating circumstances. hosed system.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Boo @ no GF replay. I mean it isn't a great system but it was an amazing quirk of the game to come up again in 2010, hilarious and amazing.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

5 matches. Weak as piss yet again tribunal. The AFL can crow all they want about how the head is sacrosanct, but their systems yet again fail when it actually counts.

Doesn't help that May is a serial offender and should have gotten extra based on that. A really underwhelming punishment considering he left the ground in order to hit the Martin in the head

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I also like the grand final replay and draws in general.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I don't mind grand final replays, more footy! But I loving loathe the idea of a golden goal, it's the worst poo poo ever in sports. Just play another reduced quarter until someone actually wins it. Imagine someone winning a premiership on a rushed behind, or some bullshit free kick. "Just gonna torp this from halfway and hope it goes through for a point or six."

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

Imagine someone winning a premiership on a rushed behind, or some bullshit free kick. "Just gonna torp this from halfway and hope it goes through for a point or six."

But any of these things could happen with 5 seconds to go in the match also.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

And the players won't necessarily realise that it's in golden goal.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

Imagine someone winning a premiership on a rushed behind, or some bullshit free kick. "Just gonna torp this from halfway and hope it goes through for a point or six."
St Kilda wouldn't have a flag at this point if that was the case.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Wait, there's no clear observance of when golden gaytime starts at the end of OT? :psyduck:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Diet Crack posted:

Wait, there's no clear observance of when golden gaytime starts at the end of OT? :psyduck:

Nope. It ticks to 5:01 and suddenly it is golden point with no indication of it. It is very stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

My understanding is that once the score is confirmed, the siren sounds to end the game. I don't see it as having that big an effect because if it's all tied up players will know they can't concede a score late in 2nd OT anyway

• Locked thread