Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Magician's Red was so broken it's all but patently obvious Araki "Killed" Avdol to avoid having to write fights around him.

I wouldn't mind a remixed Part 3 where Magician's Red was a little less powerful just so we could have more Avdol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Magician's Red was so broken it's all but patently obvious Araki "Killed" Avdol to avoid having to write fights around him.

I wouldn't mind a remixed Part 3 where Magician's Red was a little less powerful just so we could have more Avdol.

it's called steel ball run but we didnt

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

well actually we did technically

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

'maybe being able to literally create a gigantic blazing inferno with little effort when fighting people, not to mention a vampire, would be too strong'

'hmm'

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hi Wa Mata Noboru released a v1 (the v2 isn't guaranteed) of JJL 53
https://hiwamatanoboru.com/2016/04/19/jojolion-53/

They're not happy about being beaten to the punch at all and might drop JoJolion because of it.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Amaryllis posted:

More spoilers about the raws: Can't wait for the translation to come out so that I can know exactly how heartbreaking those final pages are. And I guess this means that the photo and most of the other stuff to do with Karera really is either going to be retconned or revealed as something that she made up? I would've been just fine with a bunch more chapters about those guys that would've made her account of the events line up with what we've seen, and I'm weirdly disappointed that the flashback looks to be finally wrapping up even though I really want to know how this Damo fight is going to be resolved. Also, there's no way that Hato won't have a stand.

There is a ton of stuff that's gonna have to be retconned here. Karera's photo, a bunch of stuff from the beginning maybe? Like, about Kira's apartment? I really need to re-read that beginning part again.

I'm extremely sad about that update

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

lol i keep forgetting how hardcore josuke is

":): hi can i kill your boyfriend"

also josefumi nooo :qq:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

TWIST FIST posted:

lol i keep forgetting how hardcore josuke is

":): hi can i kill your boyfriend"

Guess what

no one can say that hardcore part of him is JUST kira anymore, kthx

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

it's called steel ball run but we didnt
SBR Avdol didn't have a stand.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

SBR Avdol didn't have a stand.

you don't know that

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I do, actually.

My dad works for Araki.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Someone on /a/ knocked out a quick scanlation of JJL
http://m.imgur.com/a/wnMvW

Its okay but catch Hi Wa Mata Noboru's too later in the week

drat, Araki knocked it out of the park with this chapter. Fumi brings one of the nastiest beatdowns and one of the saddest moments in Jojo in a single chapter. The wait for next month is going to kill me.

Also, Josuke "Please let me kill your boyfriend" Higashikata is solidly in the running for best Jojo

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 19, 2016

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Daxing Dan posted:

Also, Josuke "Please let me kill your boyfriend" Higashikata is solidly in the running for best Jojo

TBQH he's been my #2 Jojo after original Josuke for a quite a while now, I would not be at all surprised if both he and JJL as a whole edge out DIU for me eventually as favorites. I liked Josefumi quite a lot before; he is now one of my definite all-time favorites just on the strength of the two recent chapters

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 19, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If I had to describe this entire flashback and Josefumi + Kira segment.

I'd say it's sweet like a chic-a-cherry cola.

And just like being called Yoshikage Kira means you're the best boy, being called Josuke Higashikata makes you best JoJo.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'm going to murder you

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
It's not on baoto anymore :saddowns:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zeruel posted:

It's not on baoto anymore :saddowns:

It never was. I think it mistakenly uploaded or not set public or something, but that should get fixed. Download it for now.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

There's so much characterization in that one sentence. The implication that he CAN kill Damo, the implication that the only way he can stop Damo is to murder the poo poo out of him, his respect for the family by asking permission even in this ridiculous scenario, etc..

guys I think part 8 might be really good, I dunno.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yinlock posted:

There's so much characterization in that one sentence. The implication that he CAN kill Damo, the implication that the only way he can stop Damo is to murder the poo poo out of him, his respect for the family by asking permission even in this ridiculous scenario, etc..

guys I think part 8 might be really good, I dunno.

Seriously, in a chapter full of absolutely serious badass action and drama, that is the most bad-rear end part.

He says I'm going to murder him first. And then he admits he's stuck in the room and can't get out, but it's secondary to the fact that he's going to murder Damo.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

God loving dammit hurry up Araki I want to read JoJolion.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Man, what a good chapter.

The JJL translator said in his rant about getting sniped that digital Ultra Jump scans were worse than physical ones; how so?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Man, what a good chapter.

The JJL translator said in his rant about getting sniped that digital Ultra Jump scans were worse than physical ones; how so?

The scans they're using are the ones from this post:

And if you blow them up, you can see that they're rather riddled with artifacts and I can't think of a proper term to describe it but the imgur album images here are sort of one "factor" less than the ones HWMN use from Kewl0210's personal scan of the Ultra Jump he purchases.
The imgur single page resolution is about 836x1200 and HWMN's are around 1107x1598 and scale down in ratio to 1200 just about perfectly. So he's using a good scanner to get a better source image than what the UJ team are apparently doing and the cleaning and redrawing is better too.

If you go back to chapter 52, you can see quite a big jump in quality between the two, but all said, I think the images from imgur are very much serviceable for a first pass scanlation.
I appreciate Kewl and all that he's done for the JoJo fandom. He finished up Steel Ball Run and has done all of JoJolion, but any idea of ownership is out of whack and simply doesn't exist. (And the anonymous translation of JJL was accurate and well phrased, arguably better than HWMN's in some places).

Should the JoJo fanbase have respect for him? Yes
Should they let him have first dibs? Arguably.
Is getting bent out of shape appropriate when you got beat to the punch? No.

The only person who has any right to a grievance is Araki and all involved with JoJo's publication, particularly when it comes to raws. Raws are more harmful to Araki than any scanlation because his market is Japan.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Actually I have right to a grievance because I am Araki's distant uncle

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Man, this loving flashback.

I've not super hot on Part 8 to begin with honestly and it's probably to do with the monthly format. I enjoyed what little I had to binge read, but coming at the end of Doobie Wah and reading monthly sapped a lot of my hype for it due to just getting fuzzy on the details and forgetting a lot. But this flashback arc rejuvenated a lot of my interest in the story, made me way more interested in Two Good Boys Save A Mom then I thought I would be, and really feels like Araki truly knows where's going with all this and can start building momentum towards the end. In a part full of cool and interesting poo poo, these last few chapters have totally been the most cool and interesting and I'm 100% confident in saying JoJolion Is Good. RIP Two Good Boys.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

There is a ton of stuff that's gonna have to be retconned here. Karera's photo, a bunch of stuff from the beginning maybe? Like, about Kira's apartment? I really need to re-read that beginning part again.

I'm extremely sad about that update
Same.

Also, I was thinking: there's no space in the timeline for that photo, but it's possible that they took the branch to Kira's apartment before settling on planting it out on the rocks, right? Karera said that Kira had a tree at his home, but she could've just watched the guys hide it there temporarily after they stole it. The stuff with Karera happened so recently that it'd be weird for it to end up as another Araki Forgot thing.

About the competing translations: I read the HWMN version first and I appreciate the high quality and the consistent releases, but I have to say I kind of like some of the phrasing better in the /a/ one. Like, "That is my image of happiness" (HWMN) vs. "That must be what happiness looks like" (anonymous). They're both communicating the same idea, and if I had to guess I'd say that HWMN's is probably closer to the literal meaning, but the other one sounds closer to what an actual human being would say. It'd be cool if people could somehow collaborate/contribute suggestions or something instead of scrambling to push scans out ASAP.

Sorry I'm late to this, but yes, Zaggitz: the French edition of Vento Aureo is really good and also cheap, so if French is your first language you have no excuse for not buying it (and imo anyone with high school level French should be able to parse it). I bought the whole set on amazon.fr last year because I was tired of waiting for quality scans, and the price was super reasonable including shipping to Canada. I'm sure there are even cheaper options (it looks like the price on some volumes has gone up since then) but that was the easiest way to import it. By the way, for French speakers, the Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe collection came out over there last week-ish! I've been thinking of getting that too to add to my growing pile of Rohan merchandise, but I'm still holding out for an English release of DiU proper. Still hoping that Viz will announce something about it while the part 4 anime hype is still high.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

One of the people from HWMN is posting on /a/ now (their versions up on Batoto for rereading now btw) and he actually agrees that the /a/ version was better than theirs in parts. He's a lot more level headed about it than Kewl on the whole, and I think people have driven home the point that no one wants to see them bail on JJL. But if they're being beaten to the punch every time, they're probably done.

I just think she's bullshitting, honestly. There's absolutely no reason for Kira to have had a Roka tree at home yet needed these grafts. They only took the branches after all and they're both accounted for where Kira and Fumi die. The twins and photo corroborate Karera but everything else contradicts her pretty hard. It's weird but it doesn't bear overthinking.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Guys... I think Jojolion might be really, really... Good?

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

I just think she's bullshitting, honestly. There's absolutely no reason for Kira to have had a Roka tree at home yet needed these grafts. They only took the branches after all and they're both accounted for where Kira and Fumi die. The twins and photo corroborate Karera but everything else contradicts her pretty hard. It's weird but it doesn't bear overthinking.
Yeah, she probably is bullshitting a lot, but isn't she also the first person to name-drop the Rokakaka fruit? I wonder how she picked that up, exactly. Overthinking things is exactly what these threads are for.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think she is the first to say Rokakaka, but I can't 100% remember.

e: Wait no, Dainenjiyama says Rokakaka to himself here
http://bato.to/reader#6e4c42a3b6bc2013_7

I've not gone back before the Dainenjiyama fight to see if it's dropped before he's first introduced but I believe this is the actual first time.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 19, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fiend Computer posted:

Guys... I think Jojolion might be really, really... Good?

Jojolion is real good but I still hope the dumb kid becomes stone.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
How long ago were the karera chapters? Is this the quickest that araki's started a plot thread and then abandoned it because drat none of the karera poo poo makes sense now lol

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The Karera incosistencies really, really bother me. Like, I know Araki forgets stuff all the time but usually it's stuff like miscellaneous stand powers (like Whitesnake's goo or Gold Experience's reflect bullshit) or little details like whether or not Rohan was shot with the arrow. The stuff with Karera is a major plot point though and it hasn't even been long since it happened.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

e: Wait no, Dainenjiyama says Rokakaka to himself here
http://bato.to/reader#6e4c42a3b6bc2013_7
Good catch! I forgot about that, probably because when Karera drops the name to Gappy it seems like such a big deal. I still wonder how she knows what she knows, but probably the answer is just some kind of stalker bullshit. Maybe she shopped herself into a photo. Alternatively, Karera is a rock person but not allied to Damo's crew?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

How long ago were the karera chapters? Is this the quickest that araki's started a plot thread and then abandoned it because drat none of the karera poo poo makes sense now lol

She shows up in chapter 43, so 10 issues ago.

Amaryllis posted:

Good catch! I forgot about that, probably because when Karera drops the name to Gappy it seems like such a big deal. I still wonder how she knows what she knows, but probably the answer is just some kind of stalker bullshit. Maybe she shopped herself into a photo. Alternatively, Karera is a rock person but not allied to Damo's crew?

It's a big thing because it's the first Josuke hears of it, at the least. Jobin also knows what the fruit is called however because Aishou checks in with him about the fact he's being stalked due to it.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
The most important thing about this chapter: we finally know the origin of the stone dog.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Also Josefumi is SBRverse's Kakyoin. If Josefumi married, I'm sure he'd want a woman like Holly.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Also Josefumi is SBRverse's Kakyoin. If Josefumi married, I'm sure he'd want a woman like Holly.

I vomited

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's the truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You're lucky Seafood's the sheriff of these parts.