Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
No Alien or Predator has yet been straight to video, it will be a sad day if it ever happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Predator: In da hood

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Predator: In da hood

technically that was predator 2 :v:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Predator: Back to the hood

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

zVxTeflon posted:

I hope the predator tries to shoot him in the head but it doesnt work because fiddys hat is bulletproof

I got speargunned nine times

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

If you suckers haven't listened it already, you have missed a lot.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Predator

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Looking forward to seeing both Aliens and Predators added to the Ice Cubiverse:

http://www.dailydot.com/lol/ice-cubiverse-fan-theory/

Electromax
May 6, 2007
50 has acted in stuff before, he's about as capable an actor as half the dudes in Predator 1. I'd be surprised if he's gonna be the lead. It'll probably be about as unmemorable as Common in T4 at worst, he's pretty charismatic when he tries to be.

Of course, they're also dragging Arnold out for more. 70 is the new 50 in hollywood.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Reboots are dumb. Give me Return of the predator in the hood.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Fish of hemp posted:

If you suckers haven't listened it already, you have missed a lot.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Predator

I liked the one with Schwarzenegger more.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Weyland Yutani Report comes out today, it's basically a companion book/spiritual successor to the totally awesome Colonial Marines Technical Manual from 20 years ago.

Amazon just delivered my copy, but I won't get to read it until I get home from work.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wow that looks great.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

The Weyland Yutani Report comes out today, it's basically a companion book/spiritual successor to the totally awesome Colonial Marines Technical Manual from 20 years ago.

Amazon just delivered my copy, but I won't get to read it until I get home from work.

How many of these Alien "handbooks" are there? Do you have a shelf full of these things?

Not that I'm judging, we've all benefited from that Colonial Marines Technical Manual because you've posted shots from it multiple times. I'm just glad I'm not the one having to spend $40 on these.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

How many of these Alien "handbooks" are there? Do you have a shelf full of these things?

Not that I'm judging, we've all benefited from that Colonial Marines Technical Manual because you've posted shots from it multiple times. I'm just glad I'm not the one having to spend $40 on these.
There's only two "in universe" books, the WY Report and the Technical Manual.

There's also an RPG book from Leading Edge from 1989 or so that's much lesser known, it's interesting because the Aliens themselves are almost a footnote - the bulk of the book is about routine Colonial Marine stuff, corporate politics, interstellar frontier life, etc.

And then there's several "Making Of"/concept art/production diary "coffee table" books, including 'Giger's Alien' (Giger's actual diary while making the movie, chock full of set photos, concept art, etc), a production book for AvP Requiem, 'The Alien Vault' (a really cool production book for the first movie), 'The Book of Alien' (another production book, but originally written in 1979), concept art books for Prometheus and Alien: Isolation which are both really great, and 'Alien: The Archive' (a production book for all four Alien movies which just came out in 2014).
There's a new book called 'Aliens: The Set Photography' that comes out in late July for the 30th anniversary, and it'll be exactly what the title suggests it is.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I talked before about all the drama behind the scenes of the entire series. On that tip I ran across a recent interview with Yaphet Kotto where he sets the record straight about some things but nonetheless still sounds pretty dramatic.

http://www.blastr.com/2015-2-11/exclusive-alien%E2%80%99s-yaphet-kotto-playing-parker-passing-star-wars-and-running-man%E2%80%99s-silver

quote:

Did Ridley Scott instruct you to intentionally badger Sigourney Weaver on set to increase tension?

Yeah, it's true, but Ridley's a copout Irishman, or Scotsman, because he made me f*** with Sigourney and then after the show was over he never told her. He never even said a single word about it. Ridley needs an rear end-whippin.' He'd say, "Keep messin' with that chick. Don't talk to her no more. When you go into the dressing room, aggravate her." drat.

quote:

Another Alien rumor claims you got into a real fight with Bolaji Badejo, the 7-foot Nigerian actor inside the creature suit. Any truth to that?

Lemme get this straight right now. I am so tired of reading s*** about how I'm challenging him, he's challenging me, I knocked him down, he knocked me down. I spoke to him twice! Bolaji was a nice guy, I liked him. One time he had the drat alien head off and I asked him if he was hot. The other time he was coming onto the stage and I was going out. The Internet created these tales about it. Look, I'm a professional actor, I don't go around doing stuff like that, it's insane, and I resent people who write those kinds of things about my character. They said, "Oh, Yaphet was touching this guy and finally Bolaji got up and knocked the poo poo out of Yaphet." Number one, this guy was too skinny to knock me out. Number two, I hardly spoke to him. He was a guy they found on the street somewhere in London, and they gave him a job and he was very professional, very African, and I had the utmost respect for him. Sorry, movie fans, make up some other s***.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Alien Covenant: Very African

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yaphet Kotto is as black as he is awesome.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yaphet describing geordie lad Ridley Scott as an "Irishman, or Scotsman" is really funny to me. On set, his brow all wrinkling as he tries to decipher what the gently caress accent this is.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nationality is very important to yaphet

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For anyone who hasn't watched Prometheus with the Ridley Scott commentary, I suggest it. It's not a particularly insightful commentary in terms of filmmaking knowledge like his 'Alien' commentary, but it IS pretty drat entertaining.
The commentary is a bit rambly and all over the place, and heavily plagued with Ridley Scott straight up describing what's going on on-screen in real time, but it's still a good time overall.

Fun choice moments include:

- Ridley Scott going on a profanity laden rant about studio filmmaking and how he STILL has to justify himself to studio know-nothing idiots and how he wishes people would leave him the gently caress alone and let him make his loving movies how he wants since he obviously knows what he's doing, and daring the commentary people to censor him

- Ridley Scott hypothesizing about what it would take to live on Mars (commentary was recorded before he decided to make The Martian)

- Ridley Scott giving his opinion on spoilers

- Ridley Scott making up back stories for characters on the fly

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Fun choice moments include:

- Ridley Scott going on a profanity laden rant about studio filmmaking and how he STILL has to justify himself to studio know-nothing idiots and how he wishes people would leave him the gently caress alone and let him make his loving movies how he wants since he obviously knows what he's doing, and daring the commentary people to censor him
And yet he got to make Gods & Kings, so somebody is just handing him hundreds of millions of dollars to make crap anyway.

Ridley Scott posted:

"I can't mount a film of this budget...and say that my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such...I'm just not going to get financed"

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 18, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Gods and Kings owned.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Everblight posted:

And yet he got to make Gods & Kings, so somebody is just handing him hundreds of millions of dollars to make crap anyway.

I'm not sure what point you're making with that quote, it seems to prove that he actually can't make whatever he wants. If he wanted to cast a random no-name Middle Eastern actor, he'd never be able to convince a studio to commit to the budget he was looking for.

They "hand him money", but theres plenty of strings attached, which is what he likes to bitch about. He feels like he's proven himself and the studio shouldn't mess around with his films on any level.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ridley has enough bad movies on his resume that he shouldn't just be handed a blank check to do whatever he wants despite his feelings.

Case in point: Prometheus.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

Ridley has enough bad movies on his resume that he shouldn't just be handed a blank check to do whatever he wants despite his feelings.

Totally agreed, I'm just making the point that if he wants to make a big budget movie he's just as beholden to the studio as any other successful director. He's also like 80 years old so naturally he complains about it more.

And I'm ignoring your Prometheus comment.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

oldpainless posted:

:can:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Gods and Kings owned.

God being a petulant child was great.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xenomrph posted:

Ridley Scott giving his opinion on spoilers

Well, what is it?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Well, what is it?

you really should listen to the commentary, it loses a lot of impact if somebody just tells you

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

you really should listen to the commentary, it loses a lot of impact if somebody just tells you

well played

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Well, what is it?
Basically "gently caress you, too bad". Then again at least when it comes to an audio commentary, he's not wrong - who would watch a movie with the commentary as a first viewing?

Seriously it's an entertaining commentary. Scott gives a lot of his logic on why certain things are designed the way they are, and while it's interesting and his thought processes generally make sense, they also often highlight why I wish Prometheus wasn't an Alien prequel and had just been able to do its own thing without franchise baggage.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 19, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

oldpainless posted:

Better Example: Robin Hood.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

oldpainless posted:

You know, he wanted a blank check for Prometheus. They told him no. He said its an alien prequel and the studio was like,

He has done basically nothing for the alien franchise. Cant wait for the abortion that is Alien: Covenant.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 19, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Darko posted:

God being a petulant child was great.

It's the kind of cheerful blasphemy only an old guy could get away with.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Alien: Covenant is going to be tits.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Basically "gently caress you, too bad". Then again at least when it comes to an audio commentary, he's not wrong - who would watch a movie with the commentary as a first viewing?

Unrelated really, but this reminded me a bit of the Gremlins commentary when Dick Miller was wondering if viewers would be annoyed to hear them talking over the movie.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

He has done basically nothing for the alien franchise.

Ridley Scott has nothing for the Alien franchise. Yes.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Immortan posted:

Alien: Covenant is going to be TITS.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Ridley Scott has nothing for the Alien franchise. Yes.

To be fair, he owes no loyalty to the franchise.

The only person I can respect for caring about a franchise in this context is Xenomrph, since he's made that his thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dave Angel posted:

Unrelated really, but this reminded me a bit of the Gremlins commentary when Dick Miller was wondering if viewers would be annoyed to hear them talking over the movie.
Oh that reminds me, Ridley Scott starts out the Prometheus commentary by explaining to the listener what an audio commentary is. :kiddo: