Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

I don't think I've ever played a Platinum game before, what's a good one that's also on PC?

Metal Gear Rising is the only one on PC as far as I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I don't think I've ever played a Platinum game before, what's a good one that's also on PC?

Metal gear rising: Revengeance

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Metal Gear Rising is the only one on PC as far as I know

There's also Transformers and Korra. You can skip Korra unless you really, really like Korra and platinum games.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I heard that their Transformers is pretty rad and true to the animated show. It's also short if you just plan on playing it once but has a lot of replay value.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Real hurthling! posted:

new ps4 mandated to be fully compatible according to rumors. no "project neo" (lol) only games allowed.
games to ship with 2 sets of display settings. probably gonna not be worth it for a while unless you have a 4k tv or have to have a stable 30 fps (cause i bet you aren't going to get 60 on there in most AAA games when devs can just make it prettier and smoother and call it a day considering both units are going to be in the same mp matches and that would lead to much whining im sure)

So it just seems like its ps4 version of the xbox elite except it works for 4k tv's better. seems kinda pointless.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Transformers is really good, some issues with them trying to put in a equipment system but it's minor gripes.

That said it's €40 while MGR is like €20 so i'd dive into MGR first.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Transformers is legit good and worth the money even if it's P short

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Kins posted:

don't seem too emotionally invested in keeping their own IP

Wonderful 101 was basically Kamiya saying "I really wish I owned Viewtiful Joe" as loud as he possibly could.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kamiya already said like 8 years ago that he's not involved with those games anymore and is fine with it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How similar are these games to Devil May Cry because I suck at Devil May Cry games

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

How similar are these games to Devil May Cry because I suck at Devil May Cry games

You'll suck at Platinum games!

Just try to ignore the game treating you like trash when you don't get Pure Platinum/S rankings and you're fine.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jay Rust posted:

They're a lot more friendly to garbo players, but I would still say they're kinda tough for newcomers

MGR is probably one of the less beginner friendly games though since a lot of beginners seemed to struggle with stuff in it so you might still have some difficulty

I like it the most out of all their games tho and highly recommend it

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Baal posted:

They're a lot more friendly to garbo players, but I would still say I like DMC more

MGR is probably one of the less beginner friendly games though since a lot of beginners seemed to struggle with stuff in it so you might still have some difficulty

That's solely just the precise cuts for zandatsu's.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bayonetta is the most like Devil May Cry out of any of the platinum titles. The other titles have their own feel that may or may not be easier to get into.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Actually a lot of people also seemed to struggle to grasp how parry actually worked too

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Baal posted:

Actually a lot of people also seemed to struggle to grasp how parry actually worked too

The game does a really bad job of explaining it, which is weird because it's the most important mechanic.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh yeah! Sorry at this point parry's are super natural for me to pull off in B & MGR.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean I watched a lot of gameplay vids before the game came out so I guess it just came to me how to do it and I never actually read how the game described it, but I picked it up super quickly

I've also been playing games like this sonce DMC3 came out so I might be more savvy than most people wrt to this stuff

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

The game does a really bad job of explaining it, which is weird because it's the most important mechanic.
Yeah, MGR has many strengths, but explaining certain mechanics to newcomers to the genre is not one of them.

Requiring players to manually unlock the dodging mechanism after the prologue level is also a pretty weird decision.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yeah I think i'm forgetting that Parry and Zandatsu's are in the center of the combat mechanics of that game so there is a slight learning curve. It's not too bad though.

Just if you're playing and the parry doesn't click for you try taking a look at the BeforeIPlay writeup for the game.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Kins posted:

Requiring players to manually unlock the dodging mechanism after the prologue level is also a pretty weird decision.

I think that was so they'd focus on the Parry mechanic over the dodge.

It's worse in W101 with putting the defensive stuff as purchasable cause they're super required.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Baal posted:

I mean I watched a lot of gameplay vids before the game came out so I guess it just came to me how to do it and I never actually read how the game described it, but I picked it up super quickly

Once you know it's really simple, yeah. But this is how the game tells you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHcqoCiud3E&t=170s

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah okay, I can see how that would confuse some people.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I just want another God Hand game

Why is that so much to ask

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mikami is off making worse games is why

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

What was his last game?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Evil Within

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That wasn't too bad though wasn't it?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
At its best Evil Within is alright, it's not an amazing game and is really sketchy in a lot of places in terms of optimization and just being really unfun for long periods of time

The game does a good job with its atmosphere tho, it just kinda also doesn't know when to chill the hell out about it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I gave up on after the twelfth time I stumbled in to an instant death trap 15 minutes from the last save.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh yeah there's a lot of that too

Those uh... They aren't too fun.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
don't act like you don't like the ball buster

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

don't act like you don't like the ba'al buster

Fixed.

(Play Bravely Second please)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FirstAidKite posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/25900/

King's Bounty: The Legend

It's pretty fun, tho I've never beaten it. Kinda janky, but charming enough. I am glad that easter egg exists.

I wish Dark Side was cheaper tho. I know they've been making the same game just with different plots and poo poo for a while now and the latter games haven't been received as well as the earlier ones like Armored Princess and The Legend but I still would like to try Dark Side some day.

fake edit: oh I thought dark side was 10 bucks, turns out it is just 4 bucks. oh well, still too rich for me but that's a lot more reasonable

Dark Side is pretty good and its a lot better than the vikings one

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I own all the King's Bounty games but I've never finished any of them.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Fixed.

(Play Bravely Second please)

I haven't played the first game yet though

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Mr E posted:

I haven't played the first game yet though

Play that too.

Then regret playing to the true ending.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I enjoyed my time with BD

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I rushed to the true ending of BD and while the true ending was fantastic I still think the looping was super dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Dark Side is pretty good and its a lot better than the vikings one

I will play it some day then, and probably enjoy it

Is it true they took out spouses tho in those games, cause that was a neat thing in The Legend

• Locked thread