Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Wierd question, but just how tuneable are snare drums? Im building a tiny kit for tracking some bits for electronic music (kick hihat and snare to start). Im planning to add a set of rototoms eventually but was wondering if i can tune the snare to a root note with the springs off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

field balm posted:

Wierd question, but just how tuneable are snare drums? Im building a tiny kit for tracking some bits for electronic music (kick hihat and snare to start). Im planning to add a set of rototoms eventually but was wondering if i can tune the snare to a root note with the springs off?

This is totally possible; I usually tune an ascending in my low tom, high tom, snare. DW inscribes their shells with the note they resonate at, so you can tune the heads to it.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Yes.

also lol @ roto toms.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
This thread has been quiet and boring for, literally, all month.

So here, have a thing I just did yesterday for a project Troy Wright is putting together. Not anywhere near my best take but I just flat ran out of time to do another/better one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v16ssO3mP8

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I struggle with where to stick my camcorder when I'm trying to record myself to be able to see all of my kit clearly, I never thought about just strapping it to my chest/head and going POV, that's awesome.

Also I just picked up a Zildjian K pack which added a second crash to my kit and I felt like I had cymbals everywhere, but I see I still have a ways to go :stare:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What do you call the pattern that the drums are doing here at this point in the song? (after the fill, obviously)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtYpkY9Iqds&t=63s

The kick seems to be 1, 3, And while snare is on the 2 and 4

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Quoting myself from a few pages ago

timp posted:

People always seem to come into this thread to ask what certain beats are called, but in all honestly very few beats have names! Even really distinctive and iconic ones like [the beat originally in question] are usually just tagged as the name of the song they most famously appeared in. To me, that's the Wipeout beat, but even that could be confusing because people often think of the Wipeout drum solo first.

As for beats not really being named, my guess would be because drummers are stupid drum set is a unique instrument in that improvisation is not just expected, but 99% of the time it's encouraged. Therefore, even the most iconic part of a beat, in this case the "2 +" snare hit, may not always be played in every measure depending on what's going on in the other parts, the drummer's mood, or whatever. The closest we come is in naming individual styles of beats, like rock, samba, bossa, disco (lol), etc; that way, the drummer doesn't feel too locked into any one beat. Kind of unfortunate though because most drum set you hear is all grouped in as "rock" and since we hear a lot of it, we pick up on differences like the one in your example, and it'd be nice if they had names.

That's my guess, anyway.

If it were up to me I'd probably describe the beat in your link as a fast punk thrash or something. The snare is on 2 and 4, and the bass is actually on beat 1 and the + of 3. So if it were slowed down it'd sound like 'boom clap...boomclap. boom clap...boomclap'

quick edit: just listened again, there's actually double bass thrown in there for flavor so it's 'boom clap boomboomclap boom clap boomboomclap'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaT6EKzKb4k

timp fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 13, 2016

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

timp posted:

Quoting myself from a few pages ago

If it were up to me I'd probably describe the beat in your link as a fast punk thrash or something. The snare is on 2 and 4, and the bass is actually on beat 1 and the + of 2. So if it were slowed down it'd sound like 'boom clap...boomclap. boom clap...boomclap'

quick edit: just listened again, there's actually double bass thrown in there for flavor so it's 'boom clap boomboomclap boom clap boomboomclap'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaT6EKzKb4k

Ah ok, I didn't see that. It's just hard to explain things and talk with my drummer friend when I don't know the vernacular. I always called that beat exactly what you called it but when I ask my drummer friend to play a fast punk beat he'll do something like this, which I guess is sorta like that beat but not as aggressive.

That's why I capitalized "And" to show that it's 3 kicks per measure, the extra accent can be done with one foot apparently which is why I always thought it's kind of a modified D-beat. That's kinda why I wondered if there was a special name for it. It may just be a d-beat but super fast, but I thought the accent on a d-beat is before the 3, not after it. I could be hearing it wrong, I'm only learning drum stuff so I can get better at programming them for demos as I'm utterly garbage at drumming.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ah ok, I didn't see that. It's just hard to explain things and talk with my drummer friend when I don't know the vernacular. I always called that beat exactly what you called it but when I ask my drummer friend to play a fast punk beat he'll do something like this, which I guess is sorta like that beat but not as aggressive.

That's why I capitalized "And" to show that it's 3 kicks per measure, the extra accent can be done with one foot apparently which is why I always thought it's kind of a modified D-beat. That's kinda why I wondered if there was a special name for it. It may just be a d-beat but super fast, but I thought the accent on a d-beat is before the 3, not after it. I could be hearing it wrong, I'm only learning drum stuff so I can get better at programming them for demos as I'm utterly garbage at drumming.

No worries! It's just easier to quote that than to explain each time. :)

I actually did misspeak in my first post, the bass is on 1, 3, and the + of 3 (edited now, I accidentally said the + of 2 the first time). I think this beat gets its identity from the '1 2..+4' I sounded out earlier, and the bass that falls on beat 3 is added for flavor. (you're right that a double bass is not required, it's kind of just like a diddle on a bass pedal, two quick taps of the foot in succession) Kinda like this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF4uH6qY_pQ Lars starts out with 1 2 3+4, but after that he switches to 1 2..+4 but it sounds pretty much the same.

ANOTHER EDIT: Sometimes he actually does play 1 2+ +4 making this whole conversation even more confusing. But I guess it just goes back to my original point about the drums set being such an improvisational instrument y'know?

timp fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 13, 2016

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

timp posted:

No worries! It's just easier to quote that than to explain each time. :)

I actually did misspeak in my first post, the bass is on 1, 3, and the + of 3 (edited now, I accidentally said the + of 2 the first time). I think this beat gets its identity from the '1 2..+4' I sounded out earlier, and the bass that falls on beat 3 is added for flavor. (you're right that a double bass is not required, it's kind of just like a diddle on a bass pedal, two quick taps of the foot in succession)

Ooooohhhhh I get it now, the hit on the 3 isn't as hard as the 3+. I was getting that backwards and wondering why it sounded kind of off. I'll play around with it since as you say, drums are really improvisational and playing around until I get stuff I like seems to be the way to go.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I tried mocking it out in MuseScore and this sounds pretty similar to the opening drum beat:

That should be ONE ANDA EAND THREE ANDA EAND

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Does anyone have that Sonor foldable Jojo Mayer kick pedal? Looks interesting but reviews are kinda mixed. I'm also a toe player and I think he's a heel to toe player so not sure if it's okay for my kick style. I really like the look and the fact that it folds though.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

stupid puma posted:

Does anyone have that Sonor foldable Jojo Mayer kick pedal? Looks interesting but reviews are kinda mixed. I'm also a toe player and I think he's a heel to toe player so not sure if it's okay for my kick style. I really like the look and the fact that it folds though.

Yup! Did you have any questions about it?

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

How long have you had it? Any issues with parts breaking? How does it compare to other pedals you've used in terms of feel and responsiveness? I have a DW5000 that I've used forever so if you've used any DWs in particular that would be a helpful comparison.

Unfortunately I don't have any local availability so I'm trying to do a little more investigation before potentially ordering one.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So my kit thus far is Tama imperialstar shells, 16 and 17 inch a custom projection crashes, 22 inch a custom ride, 12 inch Saluda decadence China splash, 10 inch Saluda mist splash, Saluda v-bell and a set of old 14 inch zildjian Amir large logo hats.

I love the sound of the hats, kind of trashy and deep. But im thinking of getting a new set and handing these off to a buddy who needs them.

The kit is obviously geared to rock music, so any recommendations on hats aside from the normal a customs? I'm just a hobby drummer, no band or anything, I just enjoy playing.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

stupid puma posted:

How long have you had it? Any issues with parts breaking? How does it compare to other pedals you've used in terms of feel and responsiveness? I have a DW5000 that I've used forever so if you've used any DWs in particular that would be a helpful comparison.

Unfortunately I don't have any local availability so I'm trying to do a little more investigation before potentially ordering one.

I've played a stock Mapex pedal, a couple Iron Cobras, and this Perfect Balance. The Perfect Balance is very lightweight and has a quick, even response. Very little springiness, but it's designed that way. I have an earlier model, which is apparently a little springier than the newer ones. I've had it a little over a year, and the only noticeable thing is that one of the washers(?) on the cam where the spring attaches came loose and fiddles around when the spring isn't on it. I asked someone at my local drum store about it and they said they'd never seen it happen before. I like it a lot, and so do several of my drummer friends. I bought it after watching Jojo's foot technique DVD since I liked a lot of his reasoning behind how he designed it, but honestly my favorite feature is its collapsibility.

oh god I sound like an amazon review shill v:v:v

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So my kit thus far is Tama imperialstar shells, 16 and 17 inch a custom projection crashes, 22 inch a custom ride, 12 inch Saluda decadence China splash, 10 inch Saluda mist splash, Saluda v-bell and a set of old 14 inch zildjian Amir large logo hats.

I love the sound of the hats, kind of trashy and deep. But im thinking of getting a new set and handing these off to a buddy who needs them.

The kit is obviously geared to rock music, so any recommendations on hats aside from the normal a customs? I'm just a hobby drummer, no band or anything, I just enjoy playing.

I really like my zildjian K Custom Darks but all my other cymbals are K so it may just be that it sounds good with like sounding cymbals. I played Zildjian Master sounds prior and liked them too.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
Just did a photoshoot with my custom show kit!

You can check out the gallery of some of the other shots here:
http://patrickrfblakley.com/drumset/drum-setups/epiarch-custom-show-kit-gallery/

The drumset was built by Epiarch Custom Drums in 2008 or so. I use this setup for shows because it's so easy to set up and tear down quickly. I have two studio drumsets too if you wanna check them out here:
http://patrickrfblakley.com/drumset/drum-setups/

All the specs for all the kits are on that link. Let me know what you think!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

How many legs do you have?

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!

sebzilla posted:

How many legs do you have?

One on the left, one on the right, and one right in the middle.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I've decided to get a drumset again after donating my 15 year old starter kit when I graduated college. I kept my zildjian cymbals, my pacific pedal, hi-hat and cymbal stands. I just want a basic entry level practice kit to start.

Guitar center doesn't really have much near me.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Drums-Percussion.gc?N=33300&postalCode=43206&radius=100#narrowSideBar

And neither does craigslist
http://columbus.craigslist.org/search/msa?query=drum

Best I've found seems to be the Pearl Forum kit for $200.
http://www.musicgoround.com/search?Advanced=True&Q=&Cid=67&Mid=0&Pf=&Pt=&Dist=25&Zip=43206&Sn=&sid=true

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/5549846200.html

I mean... come on dude it practically sells itself! :v:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Duke Chin posted:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/5549846200.html

I mean... come on dude it practically sells itself! :v:

And it looks so easy to break down and set back up! Just a quick 50 minute weld and you're all set.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I've decided to get a drumset again after donating my 15 year old starter kit when I graduated college. I kept my zildjian cymbals, my pacific pedal, hi-hat and cymbal stands. I just want a basic entry level practice kit to start.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Drums-Percussion.gc?N=33300&postalCode=43206&radius=100#narrowSideBar

http://www.musicgoround.com/search?Advanced=True&Q=&Cid=67&Mid=0&Pf=&Pt=&Dist=25&Zip=43206&Sn=&sid=true

What's your budget like, and what do you plan to do with it? Are you looking for a beater kit just to mess around in your own house, or will you be gigging? Keep in mind that you don't necessarily have to shop local, as there are lots of sellers who won't mind shipping cross country.

If you just need something that sounds like a drum set, I'd say the $200 Pearl set you linked will work just fine. At least, the shells look alright; I'd recommend investing in some new heads, though. If you're unfamiliar with the head changing and tuning process someone at the store should be able to help, and there's also tons of videos on vicfirth.com and youtube and other places like that.

It's good that you hung onto your cymbals, that was smart!

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I'd spend a little more and get that Gretsch Catalina Ash or something similar. Honestly, I'd super recommend that Yamaha Stage Custom but you'd need to buy an arm to mount the floating floor tom to a stand. That was the only thing I didn't like about my stage custom was that drat floating floor tom.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

timp posted:

What's your budget like, and what do you plan to do with it? Are you looking for a beater kit just to mess around in your own house, or will you be gigging? Keep in mind that you don't necessarily have to shop local, as there are lots of sellers who won't mind shipping cross country.

If you just need something that sounds like a drum set, I'd say the $200 Pearl set you linked will work just fine. At least, the shells look alright; I'd recommend investing in some new heads, though. If you're unfamiliar with the head changing and tuning process someone at the store should be able to help, and there's also tons of videos on vicfirth.com and youtube and other places like that.

It's good that you hung onto your cymbals, that was smart!

Budget is probably $500 max for everything, including kit, throne and new heads. And yeah I'm just looking for a beater kit. I guess I could buy online, but it seems like being able to inspect the kit before buying would be nice.

No issues replacing the heads if needed. Should I just figure any used kit I buy is going to need new heads?

I think I will take a look at that pearl set this weekend.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Budget is probably $500 max for everything, including kit, throne and new heads. And yeah I'm just looking for a beater kit. I guess I could buy online, but it seems like being able to inspect the kit before buying would be nice.

No issues replacing the heads if needed. Should I just figure any used kit I buy is going to need new heads?

I think I will take a look at that pearl set this weekend.

In theory, yes, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't sometimes keep a head exactly as I got it on a drum because I liked the way it sounded with no changes. But yeah, be prepared to change them if you don't do it immediately, especially if the originals look like they could go soon.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I Might Be Adam posted:

I'd spend a little more and get that Gretsch Catalina Ash or something similar. Honestly, I'd super recommend that Yamaha Stage Custom but you'd need to buy an arm to mount the floating floor tom to a stand. That was the only thing I didn't like about my stage custom was that drat floating floor tom.

That Yamaha is really pretty. I could probably swing $380.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
'lo drumming goons. I just bought a nice new Roland electronic set and I'm playing it through headphones right now but I'd like to get some speakers for it. They don't have to be loud or do anything but play things at a reasonable level in my home. Any suggestions on what type of speaker is most appropriate? Powered cabinet/monitor/home theater system/one of those fender suitcase things?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Vino posted:

'lo drumming goons. I just bought a nice new Roland electronic set and I'm playing it through headphones right now but I'd like to get some speakers for it. They don't have to be loud or do anything but play things at a reasonable level in my home. Any suggestions on what type of speaker is most appropriate? Powered cabinet/monitor/home theater system/one of those fender suitcase things?

I used a set of Logitech 2.1 computer speakers pretty successfully, can't remember the specific model but it was one of their mid range sets but it worked really well, the speakers were small enough to mount on guitar stands around the kit and the sub gave enough oomph for a solid kick drum. I ended up going back to headphones after a while, you always have the thwack of the drum pads interfering with the sound from the speakers at lower volumes but it's a lot of fun when getting loud. I use a set of custom IEMs now which block out almost all external sound so I just hear the drum sounds and no pad noise.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
I ended up getting a pair of PA speakers and a small mixer. Hopefully it doesn't blow up!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I use a bass amp, but I almost always prefer headphones if I'm just practicing by myself.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Headphones have been working great honestly and I'll probably keep doing that, but sometimes I have friends over and you know.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I decided a few days back to dust off my Yamaha DTXpress III and try to get back into drumming. I had to borrow my girlfriend's knitting needles for a few days but now that I've got a pair of new Vater sugar maple 5As I'm feeling pretty good. I completely forgot how fun playing drums is. It was never anything more than a fun side hobby but now I'm really interested in taking it more seriously and getting better. As a musician my "natural" talents lead me more towards rhythm than melody so it was pretty shameful to have this set shoved in the corner never being played. Plus hitting things is ace.

I'll probably grab Stick Control as it seems to be the go to classic. Has anyone read the Anatomy of Drumming book by John Lamb? The health/science/physiology behind playing music is something I'm always intrigued by and it looks to be well received and not full of poo poo. Any other recommendations would be cool.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Kilometers Davis posted:

I decided a few days back to dust off my Yamaha DTXpress III and try to get back into drumming. I had to borrow my girlfriend's knitting needles for a few days but now that I've got a pair of new Vater sugar maple 5As I'm feeling pretty good. I completely forgot how fun playing drums is. It was never anything more than a fun side hobby but now I'm really interested in taking it more seriously and getting better. As a musician my "natural" talents lead me more towards rhythm than melody so it was pretty shameful to have this set shoved in the corner never being played. Plus hitting things is ace.

I'll probably grab Stick Control as it seems to be the go to classic. Has anyone read the Anatomy of Drumming book by John Lamb? The health/science/physiology behind playing music is something I'm always intrigued by and it looks to be well received and not full of poo poo. Any other recommendations would be cool.

I learned how to play drum set using Syncopation. There was one page in particular my teacher had all of his students play over and over, but with different styles and variations. Play the rhythm on bass drum, play it on snare, swing it, play it straight, add fills every 4 bars, etc. I wish I could remember which page but honestly it doesn't matter, they're all good. Especially helpful for developing limb independence if that's something you need help with.

I've also heard really good things about The Art of Bop Drumming but to be fair I've never actually used it myself.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

My teacher started me on The Art of Bop Drumming and later recommended Syncopation, and I prefer The Art of Bop. When I was going through Syncopation everything outside of the 48 bar reading exercises/tests felt like filler. Art of Bop also includes solo ideas, brushwork, Latin grooves, ideas on how to phrase your comping, etc., all with explanations.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Has anyone read the Anatomy of Drumming book by John Lamb? The health/science/physiology behind playing music is something I'm always intrigued by and it looks to be well received and not full of poo poo. Any other recommendations would be cool.

Me too! I was actually studying biomechanics and kinesiology for a minute so I could learn more about drumming! I ended up writing a 15-17 page movement analysis of drumming (lots of pictures; it's probably only 8-10 pages of actual writing) and becoming interested in Alexander Technique. Thanks for the recommendation on Anatomy of Drumming, I'm definitely gonna pick it up!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Would you guys say that the snare hits in a typical blast beat are about medium strength and not even close to full strength or are they typically triggered (and mixed accordingly) to the point where hit velocity doesn't really matter?

iMonarch
Mar 19, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Would you guys say that the snare hits in a typical blast beat are about medium strength and not even close to full strength or are they typically triggered (and mixed accordingly) to the point where hit velocity doesn't really matter?

If your snare is triggered you wouldn't necessarily need to play loud unless you set your parameters to be realistic of an acoustic snare. Otherwise untriggered you should be playing with conviction. Derek Roddy made a point about blast beats being at the top of an ascending level of bombast, really what's the point of blast beats if they aren't going to be heard.

iMonarch
Mar 19, 2007
I made a Goon-inspired blast beat, I hope you all enjoy <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejujshOC8OI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -