Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Fashion souls talk: anyone have any opinions on which armor set has the best/biggest rear end? As cool as the Fallen Knight set is, is a bit overplayed and I'd like something nice to wear when I visit other worlds.

The more I look like I'm twerking when rapidly tapping the block button while 2 handing a straight sword the better.

Dancer set, deffo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I just use the shield of want because it's a free 20% extra souls on a 100% block shield. If the boss is some other element then I'll use the appropriate crest shield but so far that's just been two bosses who use fire damage a lot.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I need help with Pintiff Sulyvhan's second form. His first form is hilariously easy as all I have to do is play ring-a-round the rosey with him and attack his back. But his second form is a bitch as it seems that there is rarely an opening.

Here are my stats for the hell of it:

Hope everything seems up to standards. Already defeated Yhorm the Giant FYI.

Also why do you have an insane amount of endurance and nothing else, what the gently caress

edit: And your rings. And your tiny amount of estus. You're blowing my mind.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I have so many different shields, is there any reason to use the shields that give don't give 100% physical protection? I mean I have a greatshield that actually provides less physical protection than the smaller crest one. Does blocking with the bigger shields reduce the stamina hit maybe? Is that how that stability stat works?

Yeah thats what stability does. Small shields have less damage block, but much better parry frames.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Jia posted:

Also why do you have an insane amount of endurance and nothing else, what the gently caress

edit: And your rings. And your tiny amount of estus. You're blowing my mind.

I took away my rings to make me more agile. The ring I have don't help. I haven't found other estus shards. I have high endurance so I can't get hit. It has helped me in most boss battles, especially Yhorn.

I'll try investing more into vitality and dexterity.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

Jia posted:

Dancer set, deffo

Dancers set with Prayer robe bottoms is my favorite armor set.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Shields that don't have 100% physical sometimes have better stats in other areas like elemental resistance, so if you're going into an area with enemies that don't use physical attacks it'd be better to go with one of those. Of course, places like that are a lot less frequent, but they do still show up here and there.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cardboard Box posted:

what's really fun is when you summon someone to help with a boss, they follow you into the fog, and then immediately bail leaving you to fight a buffed boss by yourself

I've unintentionally done that to people because the game's netcode is arse and sometimes I just can't walk through the fog.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Apparently the name filter in DS3 doesn't check for upper-case letters, so that's why people named gently caress or whatever can get past the censor. :ughh:

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
I know I am probably just a drop in the bucket. I loving love this game. It's (atleast imo) the fairest darksouls yet. I've never had a death where I am like HOLY poo poo THIS loving GAME GOD drat IT. I think the one time I ever felt that way was in a positive manner. Like crossing that rooftop that takes you towards the big ladder that leads you to the square with the winged knight. Went towards the hollows and that dude just going absolutely bankers and transforming into the ash monster. I didn't expect it and got dipped off the end and fell down the roof to my death. This game is like... perfect and I have only been playing it offline as I don't have PSO

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Had the best invasion ever in Deep Cathedral.

I ran into the walkway with the giant and two phantoms just beelined it after me and got completely squashed by the giant instantly.

The host then goes back to the bonfire to summon two more and as they make their way up on the elevator I jump down and crush the two additional phantoms before finishing off the host.

I installed shadowplay just because I have so many clutch moments doing even the most basic invasions.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Exodee posted:

Apparently the name filter in DS3 doesn't check for upper-case letters, so that's why people named gently caress or whatever can get past the censor. :ughh:

Amazing.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Thought I broke the patches quest line today. Did the firelink bell tower before the cathedral and patches showed up then, but not in the cathedral.

After zoning in and out of cathedral like twenty times, I'm running around firelink all pissed off...and there he is just chilling in the corner.

You're welcome for not going naked Siegward.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Toebone posted:

Would DS3 be at all playable with a GTX 560 Ti? My PC meets all the other specs.

I have the same card and the game runs fine on low. The framerate in the tutorial area and firelink will be unusually low but every other area has been fine.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Not on the wiki but if you buy every single sorcery form Orbeck - he has a goodbye dialogue with you and admits to being an assassin, after which you can find his ashes in the Grand Archives. It's a slightly nicer way of getting his ashes and, not confirmed on my end, possibly the only way to get from the maiden his sweet rear end vest.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

MrLonghair posted:

Yes, but poison is garbage in PvE unless you have no choice but to poison and run bosses in circles for ten minutes. Poison is an alright form of PvP utility though, it helps keep track of poisoned enemy players, and if they run out of heals it'll eventually get them killed.

Yeah I'm thinking more for PvP someone is likely to get caught off guard if they suddenly see two effect statuses building up on them.

I tried using the Crystal Sage Rapier as a backup weapon but so far very unimpressed, I upgraded it to +2 and went up against a Darkwraith who killed me 4 times before switching back. Maybe it'll also be a useful poke-stick in PvP, but with around 25 dex and 20 int the damage felt underwhelming.

Dodadoodoo
Jun 15, 2007
Do you have a dad? I wanna meet that dad.
Beat the game with a generic knight quality longsword build, looking for something fun for the next playthrough. Thinking of making a pyro with some ability to melee, what weapons would work well for that?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
So i'm about level 100, just finished the game for the first time and haven't started NG+ yet...where the gently caress do I go to PVP? Every place I've gone that was a hotbed at lower levels is a ghost town. I've leveled out of those areas, obviously, but where to now? I'm not ready to re-roll just yet.

Dodadoodoo posted:

Beat the game with a generic knight quality longsword build, looking for something fun for the next playthrough. Thinking of making a pyro with some ability to melee, what weapons would work well for that?
Just build for pyromancy and put a fire gem on any weapon you like the moveset of. Done!

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

MrLonghair posted:

Yes, and wait until you see the Boss.

:aaaaa:

:darksouls:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

found a sign in the farron woods that pointed to a illusionary wall. i was quite shocked to discover it was a "real" illusionary wall.

you can walk straight through the wall into madness.

Where is this located?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dodadoodoo posted:

Pick any weapon you like that you can infuse. Make it Raw or Fire in the early game and Chaos in the late game (Chaos scales, Fire and Raw don't). Carry a Dark weapon too in case something resists fire, or dark pyromancies.

Good infusion candidates include the Estoc (great moveset, B/B Int/Faith scaling when Chaos infused) and Astora Greatsword (high base damage after yesterday's buff, reasonable requirements, A/A Chaos scaling).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
whats a good fast weapon to stick a heavy infusion on for the times i don't want to use the fume ultra great sword?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jose posted:

whats a good fast weapon to stick a heavy infusion on for the times i don't want to use the fume ultra great sword?

Drang Hammers are fast, good, and ridiculously fun.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jose posted:

The Dark Sword hits like a greatsword and is as fast as a straight sword. Or just a standard long sword can work.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Do I have to fight the Nameless King? Almost all his attacks kill me in one hit, and I may as well be flicking him when I hit him with my weapon.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
I'm OK at Dark Souls but hardly great at it. My attempt to go through the game without exceeding Level 25 is starting to get real hard.

Took me about 10 embers/tries to beat High Lord Wolnir with summon help.

In other news, it is sadly far easier/quicker to replenish you embers by invading than by helping people. I get about a 2:1 ratio spending the same amount of time invading in the catacombs vs. sunbroing Vordt. And that's including getting murdered every other invasion by a 3-1 gank squad.

It seems like a good 50%+ of the people who summon me for help are practically going out of their way to get killed.

Boosted_C5 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 19, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Just kidding yeah you do. Also you think he's bad now, wait for phase 2.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jade Mage posted:

Do I have to fight the Nameless King? Almost all his attacks kill me in one hit, and I may as well be flicking him when I hit him with my weapon.

He's optional, but his soul makes two great weapons and he owns.

What are your stats/weapon upgrade levels?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Dodadoodoo posted:

Anything that scales with Dex (so you can pump it for cast speed), anything that scales whatever blend of int/faith you roll with, or any appropriately infused weapon whose moves you like.

My pyro is using the Dark Sword w chaos infusion, which has been amazing and is easily my favorite of the straight swords, but a lot of goons like astoras and broadswords.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

Just kidding yeah you do. Also you think he's bad now, wait for phase 2.

It's phase 2 I'm talking about

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

I need help with Pintiff Sulyvhan's second form. His first form is hilariously easy as all I have to do is play ring-a-round the rosey with him and attack his back. But his second form is a bitch as it seems that there is rarely an opening.

He has a huge opening when he stops and makes that illusion double and he does it repeatedly so just hold out until he does that and then run in and go to town on him.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I had a thought today that makes Firelink's fog walls make sense all of a sudden: The game loads only the central area of Firelink so that it takes 10 or less seconds to warp into it from anywhere else, because you can't see any of the outside from the area around the bonfire- therefore, there's no point in loading it in unless you're going to go there.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Jade Mage posted:

It's phase 2 I'm talking about

yeah that's when he stops loving around and goes ssj3, it's rough

CJacobs posted:

I had a thought today that makes Firelink's fog walls make sense all of a sudden: The game loads only the central area of Firelink so that it takes 10 or less seconds to warp into it from anywhere else, because you can't see any of the outside from the area around the bonfire- therefore, there's no point in loading it in unless you're going to go there.

I managed to roll through it once, it actually still loads the entire outside area, enemies and all

Elerion
May 31, 2011

rotaryfun posted:

Is the heal aid spell pretty worth it as a knight? I can use it without having to spend any points into attributes. How much does it heal?

I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but it is more efficient to do FP Estus + Heal Aid than to chug normal HP Estus, plus you can heal in smaller increments to top off without losing potential heals. That's good for clearing through zones. Straight Estus is faster though, so much better for emergency heals and bosses. Eventually you will upgrade your Estus enough that there's no point casting Heal Aid anymore.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Okay, I'm at Farron's Keep, or the swamp around it. I've been using a Raw Astora's Sword for a long time but I don't want to upgrade it past +2. I has a bunch of titanite shards/twinkling, when can I find another good 1hander? I like using a shield, and I'm current 29 dex/16 str, but I'm going for a 40/40 build eventually.

I also got the Astar's Spear from transposition, but I feel like it sucks compared to my sword. Should I upgrade it, or can I get another good Soul Transposition 1hander soon?
1. All weapons are good, use what you like the look and feel of. If you absolutely want a "best" 1-hander, you could go buy a Broadsword from a vendor, or you could progress to Farron's Keep and farm the Darkwraiths for a Dark Sword. I've heard people complain that those weapons kind of trivialize the game with their high damage compared with stunlocking, so I spoilered them. That may apply to a ton of weapons for all I know. I just used Claymore (comfortable moveset, mediocre damage) through 99% of the game.
2. Don't be stingy with Titanite Shards, Large Titanite Shards and Titanite Chunks. Those start dropping like candy shortly after you get enough to upgrade a single weapon. Twinkling and Scales are less plentiful, but you eventually get plenty of these too. When you've finished the game, all materials except Titanite Slabs are available in infinite supply from vendors.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah that's when he stops loving around and goes ssj3, it's rough

I managed to roll through it once, it actually still loads the entire outside area, enemies and all

Yes, but what I mean is that it plops you in Firelink while the area is still loading, so that you don't have to wait the full 30 or so seconds it otherwise would take, which was smart of them.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just learned that you can start a pyro cast and then instantly redirect it 180 degrees by locking on. This is ideally used to gank the host running a fight club outside of the pontiff boss room.

*steps down into fighting area, back to host, bows for honour, starts casting, instantly turns around and throws chaos fire orb for 900 damage*

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Walrus posted:

I just learned that you can start a pyro cast and then instantly redirect it 180 degrees by locking on. This is ideally used to gank the host running a fight club outside of the pontiff boss room.

*steps down into fighting area, back to host, bows for honour, starts casting, instantly turns around and throws chaos fire orb for 900 damage*

You can do that with sorcery and miracles, too. It's about the only way to hit someone with a Soul Spear.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Anyone play with a notched whip yet? I'm thinking of rolling a Castlevania themed gimmick character, and I'm thinking that + bleed infusion might be the way to go for such a thing.

Luck scales up the bleed damage, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

punk rebel ecks posted:

I took away my rings to make me more agile. The ring I have don't help. I haven't found other estus shards. I have high endurance so I can't get hit. It has helped me in most boss battles, especially Yhorn.

I'll try investing more into vitality and dexterity.

Just as a note, your current equip load may as well be 69.9% for as much difference as it's making. You only get the fastest roll speed under 30%, and differences in between don't effect anything (that I'm aware of). That being said, medium roll is really good in this game, so you should just equip whatever you want as long as you're 70 or under.

The current tiers are

0 - 30
30.1 to 70
70.1 to 100