Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Who bombs an empty bus though.

I would Hazzard a guess in saying someone who made the timer too long. Or The Weathermen, they would bomb empty buildings or place a bomb and have them evacuate the place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Or someone who couldn't place the bomb on a full bus, or someone who wanted to put the bomb on an empty bus and explode it next to a full bus.

Or it's not a bombing attack. Or it's not a terror attack but rather something felonious. Or who knows.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It's obviously a terror attack, the only question is who did it and why? A bomb - a time bomb, no less, and one powerful enough to set other vehicles around it on fire - points to a level of sophistication that mostly isn't seen lately in either the usual day-to-day attacks or the mini-intifada of the last six months. That's very concerning.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh, as we're already on the subject of the drums of war beating in their mad crescendo, the IDF has confirmed the reports from last week about the detection of a cross border tunnel coming out of Gaza.

There are unconfirmed rumors that a Hamas senior officer has defected to PA\Israel (rumors are unclear) and that he provided some critical intel; this is an unconfirmed rumor so don't crucify me if this turns out to be pure fiction.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Do you have a link to an article or is it just a twitter rumor?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It was in a facebook post, I was looking for it but the guy has apparently deleted it since so let's place this in the tinfoil drawer for now. if something more substantial surfaces I'll let you guys know.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
apologies for double posting but of course Richard Silverstein has an article up about the defection rumors: http://www.richardsilverstein.com/2...ments-of-story/

posting of Richard Silverstein articles is in no way an endorsement of the articles or of Richard Silverstein

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

CNN is quoting Israeli police saying that the bus explosion was a deliberate attack.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

emanresu tnuocca posted:

posting of Richard Silverstein articles is in no way an endorsement of the articles or of Richard Silverstein
For a good chuckle you might check out his doppelganger's twitter page. https://twitter.com/tikkunolame

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yosef Ben David and his two cousins who've brutally murdered 16 year old Muhammad Abu Khdeir a couple of weeks before Protective Edge have all been convicted of Murder, Ben David and one of the cousins have been sentenced to life in prison, the remaining culprit has been sentenced to 21 years.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/211106

Edit: When it rains it pours, Yishai Schlisel the ultra orthodox psychopath who went on a stabbing spree in the Jerusalem Gay Pride parade and murdered 16 year old Shira Banky has also been convicted of murder and is expected to be sentenced to life in prison. Reminder that Schlisel is a repeat offender who pulled the exact same stunt 11 years ago in the Jerusalem Gay Pride Parade only that time he only injured a couple of folks.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 19, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Not surprised that Schlissel got the book thrown at him, considering both his status as a repeat offender and his defense of "I refuse to be subject to any law besides the Torah and do not acknowledge the authority of this court".

Biden gave a speech at J Street last night, saying that Netanyahu's actions cause "overwhelming frustration" at the White House, and that settlement expansion and other policies are moving Israel toward a "one-state reality" which would "not be Jewish and not be Democratic". He said that he saw "no political will among Israelis or Palestinians to move forward", noting that "the trust that is necessary to take risks for peace is fractured on both sides".

Meanwhile, random nobody Zionists continue to rail against the "cultural lobotomies" the evil gentiles are committing against Diaspora Jews, who need to hurry up and move to Israel before it's too late:

quote:

As we noted, the Pesach Haggadah begins by emphasizing that a Jew can only be considered free when he or she lives in the Land of Israel, as it says: “This year, we are here; next year, in the Land of Israel. This year, we are slaves; next year, free people.”

Many Jews in the Diaspora don’t understand the meaning of this statement. They think it is talking about some other time and place in history, and not about today. For example, take all of the Jews living in America – they think that they are already free. But as we pointed out in our previous article, they are enslaved in the foreign, gentile culture which surrounds them. This cultural enslavement and identification with the foreign country they live in is so deeply ingrained in their psyches, it is almost like a cerebral lobotomy.

In order to illustrate this widespread amnesia, allow me to give a few examples of the difference between a Jew who grows up in Israel and his counterpart who grows up in America:

The Jewish youth who grows up in Israel learns Hebrew in school, while the Jewish youth who grows up in America learns English. Interestingly, Rashi teaches that if parent doesn’t speak to his child in Hebrew, it is “as if he buries the child” (Devarim, 11:19.)

The Jewish youth who grows up in Israel learns about the history of the Jewish People and Israel, while the Jewish youth who grows up in America learns about the history of America.

The Jewish youth who grows up in Israel learns that Abraham was the founding father of his nation, while the Jewish youth who grows up in America learns that George Washington was the founding father of his nation.

For the Jewish youth who grows up in Israel, the school year follows the Jewish calendar and its Jewish holidays, while for the Jewish youth who grows up in America, the school years follows the American calendar and America’s gentile holidays.

The Jewish youth who grows up in Israel sings the “HaTikvah” at the conclusion of important school and national events, while the Jewish youth who grows up in America sings “The Star Spangled Banner.”

When a Jewish youth in Israel watches the news on TV it’s all about Israel, while when a Jewish youth in America watches the news it’s all about America.

When a Jewish youth in Israel celebrates the Jewish holidays, he or she celebrates them in the Holy Land where the holidays are meant to be observed, while when a Jewish youth in America celebrates the Jewish holidays, he or she celebrates them in an impure and gentile land.

The Jewish youth who grows up in Israel becomes an Israeli soldier, defending the people and Land of Israel, while the Jewish youth who grows up in America, if he goes into the army at all, becomes a fighter for the United States army.

When the Jewish youth in Israel comes of age, he votes for the Prime Minister of the Jewish State, whose main concern is the welfare of Jewish People, while the Jewish youth who comes of age in America votes for the President of the United States whose main concern is the welfare of America.

The Jewish youth who grows up in Israel identifies with Israel and considers himself an Israeli, while the Jewish youth who grows up in America identifies with America and considers himself an American.

Whatever profession a Jewish youth chooses in Israel helps build the economy of Israel, while the profession which Jewish youth choose in America helps the economy of the United States.

You get the idea. The list goes on and on. In our home, on Shabbat, we often host young Jewish Americans who are visiting Israel on a Birthright program, and we are always struck by the gaping difference between them and our children. It is almost as if they were a different species of Jew because of their total absorption in America’s culture and values. That is why the beginning of the Haggadah is as true today as when we left Egypt. The Jews of the Diaspora are still slaves to a foreign culture. They may not feel their bondage, but they are as glued to America as were the Jews in Egypt who perished in the plague of darkness.

This Pesach, may the Almighty open our eyes to the messages of the Exodus story, and help us to live up to the declaration, “Next year in Jerusalem!”

Tzvi Fishman

About the Author: Tzvi Fishman was awarded the Israel Ministry of Education Prize for Creativity and Jewish Culture for his novel "Tevye in the Promised Land." A wide selection of his books are available at Amazon. His recent movie "Stories of Rebbe Nachman" will be available soon as a DVD.

The author's opinion does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Jewish Press. 

If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.

Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.

If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

A further example of how Zionists and anti-Semites mostly disagree on whether or not Jews are good, and on few other points.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Volkerball posted:

So now they are Israeli puppets? Ignoring the fact that this completely undermines your point about Israel being "allied" with any Palestinian body, you're way off base. Pretty sure Israel wasn't very happy about releasing prisoners as concessions to the PA during negotiations, or the PA applying to UN charters and the ICC very publicly to stick their thumb in Israel's eye. Israel is not politically aligned with anyone who wishes to unlock the ball and chain on Palestines ankle, because at the end of the day, they are not open to giving up concessions on basic human rights that would allow Palestine to thrive as a normal nation. That's why the situation has been stagnant for so long.

There are a lot of reasons it's been stagnant, Netanyahu isn't a dictator for life, there was a long period where Kadima was eager to make a deal. There's plenty of blame to go around, and certainly Hamas and Fatah have incited violence at points to bring in more right wing governments.

And as you'd probably concede in another thread, Israel is now allied with most of the Sunni states in the region even if they're not so eager to announce it.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
There was a rally organized to show support for Elor Azaria and his family in the Rabin Square in Tel-Aviv yesterday organized by former Yisrael Beitenu MK and passionate racist Sharon Gal, attendance wasn't as high as the organizers originally hoped with less than 10,000 people showing up; based on the photographs from the rally it would seem most attendants were Kahanists and other assorted Kookists. Highlights include David Sheen getting chased out of the square by Kahanists for the crime of being openly leftist in public - https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/death-arabs-rally-draws-thousands-tel-aviv

quote:

Jeff Hali - "I don't get ti, what did he do to earn those responses??? Can't figure anything out from this video you only see an angry mob yelling at him"
Yoav "The Shadow" Eliassi - "[He's a] leftist activist, a photographer for B'Tselem"

Should be noted that Eliassi himself despite being a Grand Wizard and outspoken fascist was told by the organizers of the rally not to show up as they do not wish to be associated with him and his brand, he posted a few salty posts on facebook one of them including the following heart-wrenching quote: "I won't tell you this doesn't hurt because it does, it feels like I've been kicked out of a party that I organized". He also admitted to having originally lied about being hospitalized for appendicitis to avoid owning up to the fact that he was banned from the rally.

and also this:

And here's some Kahanists:

The yellow flag says "Kahane Was Right", foreground sign says "A dead terrorist doesn't return to murder jews".

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Does Hamas give life in prison or does it give the death penalty to Palestinians who murder Israelis?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Congratulations to Israel for being the recipient of the "Slightly More Moral Than Hamas (in certain respects)" award for the year 2016.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hakimashou posted:

Does Hamas give life in prison or does it give the death penalty to Palestinians who murder Israelis?

I dunno, let's ask the guy who blew up kids playing on the beach in Gaza. Then again, he'd probably just spout some racist rhetoric, rather than pointing out say that you're deliberately comparing government-sanctioned killing to unsanctioned acts by private individuals in order to push a false dichotomy!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

hakimashou posted:

I'm no expert, but I don't think Israel allows Palestine to have any sort of jurisdiction when it comes to crimes committed against Israelis.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The most badly wounded victim of the bus bombing, a man who lost both legs as a result and later died in the hospital, is suspected to be the bomber. Something is seriously wrong with the media coverage, though - apparently he's a suspect because the bomb was between his legs when it exploded, but reports are still saying the bus that the bomb was on was empty? I have yet to see anything that resolves that inconsistency. Meanwhile, Hamas has stated that the bomber was "one of [their] members", but have not claimed credit for the attack. An unnamed Palestinian who knew the suspect says that the suspect's cousin was accidentally killed by the IDF in January (the IDF broke up a protest with live fire, a stray bullet hit the cousin who was passing by in the chest) and that the suspect was "angry" at the funeral.

The "center-left" parties in the Knesset are rapidly becoming a joke after Herzog declared that Labor and the Zionist Union need to be "more right-wing" and that they need to shed "the impression that we are always Arab-lovers". Given that Netanyahu just had a public falling-out with Bennett and that Herzog is under investigation for illegal campaign contributions and other improper payments, this might be a sign of political shifts to come.

Six settlers have been arrested by the Shin Bet as members of a "Jewish terror cell", accused of a long list of crimes that include stone-throwing, torching Palestinian cars, throwing tear gas grenades into occupied Palestinian homes, pepper spraying a Palestinian farmer and beating him with clubs, and attempting to firebomb an occupied home at night in what was clearly an attempt to copycat the Duma arson. The right is raising a huge fuss about how the Shin Bet is clearly abusing these poor patriots and forcing them into false confessions by applying measures that are normally only used against Palestinians. Sorry if it sounds like I'm glorifying prisoner abuse, but given that Ettinger recently claimed that a prison guard abused him by filing a complaint saying that Ettinger was threatening him, it doesn't sound like they're exactly enduring the Guantanamo treatment.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Zionist Union MK Erel Margalit released a trump-esque campaign video yesterday where the slogan is "Give us our country, go back to hell" (well not goddamn the actual word was Kibinimat which I think is russian in origin, not sure maybe Xander can illuminate on the subject).

Those dudes have went beyond a mere joke.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 21, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

The right is raising a huge fuss about how the Shin Bet is clearly abusing these poor patriots and forcing them into false confessions by applying measures that are normally only used against Palestinians.

Do they actually admit to that last part?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

I dunno, let's ask the guy who blew up kids playing on the beach in Gaza. Then again, he'd probably just spout some racist rhetoric, rather than pointing out say that you're deliberately comparing government-sanctioned killing to unsanctioned acts by private individuals in order to push a false dichotomy!

This is the part I can't wrap my head around. Most of the people who defend Israel in conversations like this tend to genuinely believe that government-sanctioned violence committed by an organized military is somehow less bad than private individuals committing acts of terror. Usually I can at least understand the warped logic that leads to dumb right-wing opinions, but I honestly don't know where they're coming from here.

The only thing I can think of is that they consider military violence more justifiable solely because the military (in this case the IDF) attempts to make excuses for its violence, whereas terrorists just flat out say "yeah we wanted to kill civilians." Like, it's somehow better for the IDF to kill orders of magnitude more civilians as long as they claim it wasn't their primary goal.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Ytlaya posted:

The only thing I can think of is that they consider military violence more justifiable solely because the military (in this case the IDF) attempts to make excuses for its violence, whereas terrorists just flat out say "yeah we wanted to kill civilians." Like, it's somehow better for the IDF to kill orders of magnitude more civilians as long as they claim it wasn't their primary goal.

I think it's more about this perception that terrorists are responsible for all the people who die when we bomb them. Much like the various civilian casualties the US military will continue to cause the world over for decades to come.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Nevvy Z posted:

I think it's more about this perception that terrorists are responsible for all the people who die when we bomb them. Much like the various civilian casualties the US military will continue to cause the world over for decades to come.

It's the belief that military operations have objectives that conform to the rules of war, Geneva convention, what have you. There's also an implicit belief that those undertaking those objectives will do their best to avoid civilian harm. Thus people can accept civilian harm as an unavoidable consequence of achieving an important strategic/practical objective. Terrorists however seek to achieve their objectives specifically by harming civilians (sticking to the notion that terrorists are fighters seeking to bring about political objectives by using harm and violence towards a state's populace to exert political pressure on that state).

Now of course this doesn't neatly conform to what we actually see, in certain cases like the demolishing of houses for example (or more controversially in destruction of Gazan infrastructure), the IDF is specifically aiming to cause harm to the civilian populace, arguably to exert political pressure on Hamas. However the messiness of real life doesn't affect the ideals people have in their heads and that dichotomy above is what people are thinking of when they apply those kind of judgements. The cases they see are generally explained along those lines.

Hamas have tunnels? Hamas are terrorists so those tunnels can only be for attacking Israeli civilians.
The IDF mortared some kids on a beach? An unfortunate mistake in the process of achieving legitimate military objectives.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's because we're the good guys and we want peace and they're the bad guys and they want to drive us into the sea; everything the IDF does it does out of necessity, everything they do is terrorism born out of antisemitic malice.

It's like you guys have never lived in an Orwellian dystopia or something.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Do they actually admit to that last part?

Not openly, no. Usually they don't mention that these practices are used against Palestinians, and pretend that they are novel and unprecedented violations of human rights, despite being completely legal in the West Bank and routinely used against Palestinians. Sometimes they even claim that Jews are being treated worse by the Shin Bet than Arabs are. Sometimes they slip, though.

quote:

Honeinu’s Eran Shoretz said that the state had crossed a line in this case by preventing Jews suspected of crimes that were not as dangerous as Duma and certainly not “ticking bombs” from meeting with their lawyers.

He cautioned that the state is making the definition of “security” detainees and the extreme measures that can be applied to them so broad that it will spin out of control.

The Post learned that the Justice Ministry does view the crimes of which the detainees are suspected of as security offenses, both because they involve allegations of arson, using gas grenades and violence, and because their acts could inflame a wave of further violence with the Palestinians.

Section 35 of the Criminal Procedure Law lists the conditions where the state may prevent suspects from meeting with lawyers for “security crimes.”

An order to extend the postponement of a prisoner’s right to meet with a lawyer beyond 10 days requires the signature of both the attorney-general and the president of the relevant district court. The two officials must first holding a hearing at which a senior police or Shin Bet official appears to justify the need to deny the client-lawyer meeting.

But Shoretz said that in the past this has only applied to Palestinian terrorists who were considered ticking bombs, and that it should not apply to Jews who are not ticking bombs.
At first glance, it's a straightforward defense of liberty and human rights, accusing the government of over-broadening special crisis measures - not unlike something you'd see arguing against Guantanamo abuses. But the last paragraph gives it away: if it's really just about the broadness of "security threat" and "ticking bomb" measures, why mention ethnicity at all? It suggests he thinks that Palestinians are inherently more of a security threat than Jews are; not a terribly surprising bias, given that Honeinu exclusively defends Jewish right-wing extremists.

Ytlaya posted:

This is the part I can't wrap my head around. Most of the people who defend Israel in conversations like this tend to genuinely believe that government-sanctioned violence committed by an organized military is somehow less bad than private individuals committing acts of terror. Usually I can at least understand the warped logic that leads to dumb right-wing opinions, but I honestly don't know where they're coming from here.

If a person wants to believe something badly enough, there's no fact they can't twist or distort or rationalize to suit their worldview. It's not just the IDF that benefits from that. When an IDF soldier kills a Palestinian child, it's "a heroic soldier from the most moral military making an understandable mistake in self-defense under heavy pressure while putting their own life at risk to protect Israel". When a Jewish extremist cell kills a Palestinian family, it's either "a false flag attack by savage Arabs carrying out a blood feud and faking all the evidence" or "a devout yet misguided youth motivated by his love of Israel, who intended to scare the Arabs in revenge against them, but his minor unimportant scuffle with them accidentally got out of control". The justifications they offer are just an excuse for them to believe what they want to believe.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

If a person wants to believe something badly enough, there's no fact they can't twist or distort or rationalize to suit their worldview. It's not just the IDF that benefits from that. When an IDF soldier kills a Palestinian child, it's "a heroic soldier from the most moral military making an understandable mistake in self-defense under heavy pressure while putting their own life at risk to protect Israel". When a Jewish extremist cell kills a Palestinian family, it's either "a false flag attack by savage Arabs carrying out a blood feud and faking all the evidence" or "a devout yet misguided youth motivated by his love of Israel, who intended to scare the Arabs in revenge against them, but his minor unimportant scuffle with them accidentally got out of control". The justifications they offer are just an excuse for them to believe what they want to believe.

Though I have trouble coming up with examples, I want to say that this idea of military/government violence being less evil than violence committed by private individuals is something more widespread.

After thinking about it for a bit, I can think of one other reason why this might be the case. In the case of military violence, the blame is distributed; the soldiers directly commit the crimes but aren't necessarily responsible for the broader decisions involved, while politicians and military higher-ups might be responsible for decisions but don't actually pull the trigger. It's a lot easier to get the "full package" of evil in the form of someone who independently plans and carries out violence, since you know exactly who to blame. This is irrational of course, but I can understand why people might feel that way psychologically.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Part of it's causation, in that Israeli actions in Gaza are fundamentally in response to Hamas, even if you want to argue about the recent tit for tat, that's clearly the genesis as Israel has renounced territorial claims on Gaza. Secondly, there isn't a meaningful distinction any more between Hamas and a governmental actor, they are the elected government.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Kim Jong Il posted:

Israel has renounced territorial claims on Gaza.

In that case, under what authority do they control the border?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't think it's that strange for people to believe the IDF is in the right. The Israeli narrative has a pretty strong media presence, and even if you're savvy enough to steer clear of "they want to kill all Jews" and "most moral army in the world," you'll learn that Hamas uses human shields and provoked the IDF by kidnapping those teenagers and/or launching rockets at Israel. They even set up a propaganda department during Protective Edge to churn out posters justifying the bombings of major landmarks and civilian centers, and at least a dozen iterations of "Israel uses missiles to defend its people, Hamas uses people to defend its missiles."

In addition, the IDF makes a lot of token concessions toward preventing civilian casualties. like dropping flyers telling people to evacuate without providing anywhere to which people actually could evacuate, or unilaterally declaring a humanitarian ceasefire after bombing a comm station and then being surprised when Hamas agents violate it.

The UNHRC and Amnesty International seem to be the only major western agents to want to hold the IDF responsible for their actions, and I will admit that I am a bit baffled when people dismiss those out of hand.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Part of it's causation, in that Israeli actions in Gaza are fundamentally in response to Hamas, even if you want to argue about the recent tit for tat, that's clearly the genesis as Israel has renounced territorial claims on Gaza. Secondly, there isn't a meaningful distinction any more between Hamas and a governmental actor, they are the elected government.

I'm sure you'll argue that it's ultimately their own fault, but I'm pretty sure a lot of recent Hamas action is in response to the fact that they live in a bombed out open-air prison whose borders are controlled by Israel.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Happy Passover Jews!

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Ytlaya posted:

Though I have trouble coming up with examples, I want to say that this idea of military/government violence being less evil than violence committed by private individuals is something more widespread.

After thinking about it for a bit, I can think of one other reason why this might be the case. In the case of military violence, the blame is distributed; the soldiers directly commit the crimes but aren't necessarily responsible for the broader decisions involved, while politicians and military higher-ups might be responsible for decisions but don't actually pull the trigger. It's a lot easier to get the "full package" of evil in the form of someone who independently plans and carries out violence, since you know exactly who to blame. This is irrational of course, but I can understand why people might feel that way psychologically.

People will always admire uniforms, it's deeply cultural.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
It's not just military violence. Many people believe that imprisoning somone who is convicted of a crime is not the same as kidnapping, that a fine imposed by a court is not extortion or robbery, or that the death penalty is not murder.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

hakimashou posted:

It's not just military violence. Many people believe that imprisoning somone who is convicted of a crime is not the same as kidnapping, that a fine imposed by a court is not extortion or robbery, or that the death penalty is not murder.

That's a pretty loving gross mischaracterization of what people are saying and completely ignores the complicated reality of the I/P situation. But you probably already knew that going in.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

It's a convenient rationalization for the fact that, largley for various political reasons, people usually support the state actor over the civilian rebels. It's not by any means an ironclad thing. People are more than willing to condemn military violence when it's ordered by, say, Gaddafi or Assad, but not when it's ordered by Netanyahu or al-Sisi. Personal biases and even political convenience are things that can change people's whole perception.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Secondly, there isn't a meaningful distinction any more between Hamas and a governmental actor, they are the elected government.

Hamas resigned from the government of Gaza and handed over power to the PA shortly after the 2015 war. Moreover, the Israeli government acknowledged this by entering into a Gaza reconstruction deal with the PA, implicitly recognizing their authority and control in Gaza.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

hakimashou posted:

The last of these examples is the only meaningful analogy here, and also a lot of people believe that the death penalty is murder.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Apparently free speech violates the Torah and causes gay marriage and Islamic terrorism. I loving love the Jewish Press's constant screeds about how liberalism and freedom are destroying society, and this one's crazier than most

http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/opinions/modern-liberalism-and-the-death-of-civilization/2016/04/27/

quote:

Modern Liberalism and the Death of Civilization

The Nihilism (involving moral relativism) that contaminated higher education in America begins with the early 20th century flood of European philosophy in American academia. Most influential was Germany’s (or Hegel’s) historical relativism, which contradicts the biblical narrative, as did England’s (or Hume’s) atheistic empiricism. Both dominate higher education to this day, even in the “Jewish” state of Israel.

As Leo Strauss has shown, the father of modern liberalism is none other than Spinoza. Spinoza is also the father of biblical criticism. This made Spinoza the darling of Germany, of the nineteenth-century German school of Bible Critics.

Spinoza must therefore have encouraged the European-educated John Stuart Mill, whose mid-nineteenth essay On Liberty made him the world’s leading exponent of unfettered freedom of speech, hence of the free speech Liberalism that continues to predominate the mentality of American law schools and judicial institutions.

Paradoxically, however, free speech Liberalism is now eviscerating academic freedom in the United States. American colleges and universities have succumbed to the virtual totalitarianism underlying the prohibition of what is called “hate speech,” speech that offends the sentiments, above all the religious beliefs of Muslims, The ban on “hate speech” means the end of the liberal dogma of unfettered freedom of speech. The ban on “hate speech” may readily be construed as indistinguishable from speech involving, however remotely the character of other human beings.

What irony! The unrestrained permissiveness of Liberalism regarded obscenity as a protected form of speech by the American Supreme Court. This ruling at least denied the existence of truth and of evil, hence of that which denies the existence of a rational God, as well as the distinction between the human and the subhuman.

That denial can readily undermine the distinction between the polite speech appropriate in the company of woman and the obscene speech typical among vile men. This involves a degradation of language. The foulness of language violates the language of Holy Writ, which utterly avoids obscenity and employs only euphemisms to avoid any degradation of the human body, the creation of God.

This lofty attitude toward speech or language was overruled by Israel’s ultra-Liberal Supreme Court president, Judge Aharon Barak, who nullified a law permitting the Film Censorship Board to ban pornographic movies by ruling that nothing can actually be declared pornography, “as one man’s pornography is another man’s art” (Station Film Company v. Film Censorship Board, 1997).

As a free speech Liberal, Barak seems to have been very much influenced by the academic doctrine of moral-cum-cultural relativism. Moral-cum-cultural relativism was, and effectively still is, the ruling dogma of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.

The most famous and influential intellectual founder of this university was the German-educated Martin Buber. Buber, who renounced Judaism to the extent of marrying a Gentile, propagated the anti-Jewish Hegelian doctrine of Historical Relativism (or moral pluralism). Buber’s book, Two Kinds of Faith, happens to provide a philosophical basis of the “two-state solution” to the Israel-Palestinian conflict.

Buber wrote Two Kinds of Faith to justify by his marriage to a Gentile, a convenient academic justification for a Jew-turned cultural relativist!

Epilogue

The free speech Liberalism underlying American as well as Israeli law has sanctified public obscenity and even pornography, which are rooted in atheism.

The denial of God, evident in contemporary Liberal education, engenders the denial of all moral distinctions.

An important set of moral distinctions is related to men and women. The ascendency of free speech Liberalism, of unfettered freedom of speech, diminishes the differences in the language used in speaking to and about men and women.

This unrestrained Liberalism encourages not only homosexuality and the legalization of same-sex marriage. By its denial of truth it generates nihilism which in turn undermines any normative understanding of Islamic terrorism, as is evident in President Barack Obama’s attitude toward that savagery.

Same sex marriage, like Islamic terrorism, is a rejection of Western Civilization. Women (hence children) will be the first victims of this Liberalism, beginning, as mentioned, with our attitude toward Language. Since language distinguishes the human from the subhuman, its degradation in obscenity cannot but degrade human life. This is also the consequence of Islamic terrorism which, consistent with Islamic theology, substitutes the primacy of force over the primacy of reason.

Summing up: Free speech Liberalism – with its denial of truth – is actually a negation of rational speech, hence of God’s gift to man. Unfettered freedom of speech, the tendency of modern Liberalism, and implicit in the above-mentioned decision of Judge Aharon Barak, signals the death of rational speech, hence of civilization.

With Barak-type Liberals laying down the law concerning what was traditionally known as distinctively human, and therefore hence of what is decent and indecent, the word “terrorism” will become as meaningless as the term “marriage.”

Small wonder that neither Israelis nor Americans know where they are going, although there are signs that their ultimate destination is the grave.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

A human being actually wrote these words.

DONATE NOW

Ultramega fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 27, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Everybody's ultimate destination is the grave, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Main Paineframe posted:

Apparently free speech violates the Torah and causes gay marriage and Islamic terrorism. I loving love the Jewish Press's constant screeds about how liberalism and freedom are destroying society, and this one's crazier than most

http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/opinions/modern-liberalism-and-the-death-of-civilization/2016/04/27/

And yet...

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Court-convicts-Gay-Pride-Parade-stabber-Yishai-Schlissel-of-murder-451678

http://www.advocate.com/world/2016/3/01/hamas-leader-accused-gay-sex-killed