Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Abyss Watchers go by another name, Guardians of the Galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Wolnir is cool, I never noticed he summons skeletons. Imagine my surprise when those dudes suddenly popped up when I was sunbro'ing. They weren't really much of a danger, though, since Wolnir killed most of them instantly...
Also just discovered you don't have to hit the bracelets, hitting the hands is enough :woah:

As an aside: I'm gonna start over! And this dude, I'm planning on taking all the way to NG++ (hellooooo platinum trophy). I want to try out Pyromancy. What's a good weapon for that? I figure I'll infuse something with Chaos or Dark, and use some weapon for it that moderately scales off of Dexterity for casting speed. I don't want to go with katana again, though, I used that extensively on my last Dex/Int dude (I wish I had beaten Nameless King earlier, the sword you get from his soul is rad...).

Any ideas? Maybe a suitable boss weapon too for mainly Int/Faith plus moderate Dex?

I like the candlestick sword from the Deacons, though it's mainly just a also-faith scaling longsword.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Decrepus posted:

How much further past the Crystal Sage is the option to respec? My friend said it was that direction and I want to know if I should soldier on or just remake my character because I'm unhappy with the stats I did.

It's most of the way through the next zone (The Cathedral).

Orv
May 4, 2011

Decrepus posted:

How much further past the Crystal Sage is the option to respec? My friend said it was that direction and I want to know if I should soldier on or just remake my character because I'm unhappy with the stats I did.

It's in the following area, though more or less all the way through it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Golden Goat posted:

If the four kings possess a split lord soul then the watchers can totally be a mini-set of Cinder Lords.

If you think about it, the lords of cinder are basically the heirs of the great souls from DS1

Abyss Watchers are obviously the four kings soul. Twin Princes are Gwyn and or Seath. Yhorm is the witch of Izalith. Aldritch is Nito. And ludleth is the pigmy. Bing bang boom, all tied together.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Decrepus posted:

You gotta make it decently into the zone after crystal sage, but the covenant is in there before the boss. If you're stats truly are that abysmal just coop the dungeo and look up where the covenant lady is.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Harrow posted:

They linked the fire together as one, so they share one "Lord" essence apparently.

They are, yeah. Decided to burn in the Kiln as one rather than let a single man sacrifice himself alone.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you think about it, the lords of cinder are basically the heirs of the great souls from DS1
Sounds right since DS2 did the exact same thing.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Abyss Watchers are obviously the four kings soul. Twin Princes are Gwyn and or Seath. Yhorm is the witch of Izalith. Aldritch is Nito. And ludleth is the pigmy. Bing bang boom, all tied together.

The Four Kings are derived from Gwyn's soul, they did not hold one of their own. They were men (descended from the Pygmy).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ice Fist posted:

My reaction to every boss I've encountered so far:

IG - I'm not used to boss fights this early, game owns. 2 Tries.
V - Meh. 1 Try.
RG - Meh. 1 Try.
CS - Meh. 1 Try.
DooD - Whoa. Cool. Not completely obvious mechanics. Fight can get away from you if you're not careful. 3 tries.
AW - SoY from Bloodborne combined with some Lady Maria. Cool fight. Easy though. 1 Try.
HLW - This guy doesn't seem so ba-WHY AM I DYING SO FAST WHAT IS HAPPENING. 3 Tries.
ODK - For the LOVE OF GOD stop using AOE attacks guy. 3 Tries.
PS - CHRIST GET AWAY FROM ME GET AWAY FROM ME GET AWAY FROM ME. 4 Tries.

Some of the bosses are really really cool, but ultimately I think I'm generally good enough at the game that most bosses are tending to be pushovers. The PS fight in particular was perfect I think. Cool boss design, the arena was fantastic and the music was amazing. However some random enemies that you fight throughout the game have killed me more than any boss.

Game is great though. I'm loving every minute of it.

what build are you.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Question about armor, aside from weight and resistances, can I ignore the other stats and wear whatever looks good? Or does a 2.1 difference matter in physical defense? I really want to wear something other than the knights armor.

Orv
May 4, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

The Four Kings are derived from Gwyn's soul, they did not hold one of their own. They were men (descended from the Pygmy).

That's not to say it's an entirely wrong tack, if the wrong interpretation. The Lord souls are primeval enough that they probably outlast whatever ending you decide is the real one for 3, they're just that integral.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
I've reloaded the game several times and warped in & out of Firelink, but unless there's some trigger I'm missing I think I broke Patches, he never appears. I'm wondering if this is because I had already climbed the tower after getting the key and went down the hole to open the other door before I was supposed to, but I guess this means I also can't complete Seigward's story :(

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's most of the way through the next zone (The Cathedral).

Orv posted:

It's in the following area, though more or less all the way through it.

Barudak posted:

You gotta make it decently into the zone after crystal sage, but the covenant is in there before the boss. If you're stats truly are that abysmal just coop the dungeo and look up where the covenant lady is.

Thanks, I will push through it then. I figured it would have been further.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

turtlecrunch posted:

I always mix that up, but the pygmy is glaringly obvious in this one.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ice Fist posted:

Agreed, it felt weird to fight him up close because of that. My favorite boss is Champion Gundyr because I really like his armor

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
I think trying to solo the pontiff is going to make me quit this game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

flowinprose posted:

Then don't solo him. If he brings a friend into the fight you are totally entitled to do the same.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Decrepus posted:

Thanks, I will push through it then. I figured it would have been further.

just beware that joining the covenant that allows you to respec and actually using said covenant item to respec will permanently make one of your firelink NPCs hostile for the current playthrough. it's the lady who is a member of the darkmoon blades. so think about whether you care about that or not before you respec. in general this game is not so punishingly brutal that a few points that weren't spent 100% optimally won't break your ability to beat the game, just roll with it.

on a different note, what on earth is the typical strategy for beating the two wolf-lizards at the bottom of the ladder before the faithful covenant after the pontiff? i can pull just one or the other no problem, but the space you have to fight them in is so small, the camera goes bonkers and their attacks seem to just clip through geometry and they eat me for breakfast before i ever move on to the second one. what are people doing to make this easier?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was there supposed to be anything at the end of the illusory wall hallway in AL? It looked like the queens chamber from ds1 but there was nothing in there.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

what build are you.

The "got gud" build. Sweet christ I wish I could consistently beat bosses in under 4 goes.

First time soloed Wolnir and Oceiros, so at least there's a verifiable floor to my incompetence.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

NESguerilla posted:

Was there supposed to be anything at the end of the illusory wall hallway in AL? It looked like the queens chamber from ds1 but there was nothing in there.

It's Darkmoon Tomb/Gwyndolin's house, you can have a hot date there if you meet the requirements.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Uuuuh what the gently caress. Do I have to buy a whole set of seigward's armor from patches when he's in the well to complete this questline in the cathedral?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Uuuuh what the gently caress. Do I have to buy a whole set of seigward's armor from patches when he's in the well to complete this questline in the cathedral?

Yup, it's only like 10k total and you don't need the shield.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
Somebody before asked if the NG+ rings are available in NG++, yes they are. Just started doing NG++ and I'm also finding the +1 rings on the way.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I always mix that up, but the pygmy is glaringly obvious in this one.

Seath also did not hold his own Lord soul. Gwyn gave him a piece too.

The true holders are these:

Gwyn = Light
Pygmy = Dark
Witch = Life
Nito = Death

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

flowinprose posted:

What level are you

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

turtlecrunch posted:

Seath also did not hold his own Lord soul. Gwyn gave him a piece too.

The true holders are these:

Gwyn = Light
Pygmy = Dark
Witch = Life
Nito = Death

Whatever man, I'm just pointing out that it's the same kinda poo poo as in DS2.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

My reaction to every boss I've encountered so far:

IG - I'm not used to boss fights this early, game owns. 2 Tries.
V - Meh. 1 Try.
RG - Meh. 1 Try.
CS - Meh. 1 Try.
DooD - Whoa. Cool. Not completely obvious mechanics. Fight can get away from you if you're not careful. 3 tries.
AW - SoY from Bloodborne combined with some Lady Maria. Cool fight. Easy though. 1 Try.
HLW - This guy doesn't seem so ba-WHY AM I DYING SO FAST WHAT IS HAPPENING. 3 Tries.
PS - CHRIST GET AWAY FROM ME GET AWAY FROM ME GET AWAY FROM ME. 4 Tries.

Some of the bosses are really really cool, but ultimately I think I'm generally good enough at the game that most bosses are tending to be pushovers. The PS fight in particular was perfect I think. Cool boss design, the arena was fantastic and the music was amazing. However some random enemies that you fight throughout the game have killed me more than any boss.

Game is great though. I'm loving every minute of it.

Your experience seems pretty much the same as mine, only I only took one try on Iudex. You even have the same amount of tries as me on ol' Pontiff.

I definitely think the levels are significantly harder than the bosses, at least for the most part. There are a few really difficult bosses towards the end (including a couple optional ball-busters) but by and large it's the areas that hosed me up way more than the bosses.

AW, in particular, was kind of disappointingly easy for me. If the second phase had, like, 500-1000 more HP I think it would've taken me a several tries, but as it is I was able to just rush him down without ever being in too terribly much danger.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 19, 2016

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Been avoiding this thread like the plague so as to avoid spoilers. Went into this one completely blind. Lackluster start, I gotta say - but it just keeps getting better from Crucifixion Woods on.

So some questions:

- am I wasting titanite by leveling up my Sorc Staff?
- are the keys in Dungeon of Ihrhrhrhyryhryhryh broken? or is the guide just wrong? I couldn't open ANYTHING until I got the Jailer's Keyring.
- is Pyro as OP as I think it is as the start of the game? In previous games you were limited to 8 casts of Fireball. Now you start with Fireball and Combustion until you run out of FP. I chumped the Katana dude by Firelink like a sissy.
- I made friends with the Giant in Undead Settlement, which according to what I've read makes him stop firing arrows, but he definitely kept firing them. Did I miss something? I finally had to murder him cause that poo poo was getting annoying.

Thanks in advance!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

HaB posted:

- I made friends with the Giant in Undead Settlement, which according to what I've read makes him stop firing arrows, but he definitely kept firing them. Did I miss something? I finally had to murder him cause that poo poo was getting annoying.

Thanks in advance!

He keeps firing them, just not at you.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I've bought and attuned a healing spell, but when I equip med staff and try and cast it, he does the animation, but nothing happens, and he looks confused. What am I missing?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HaB posted:

He fires them at enemies, not at you. Why did you kill your buddy :smith:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also you hosed up by killing one of the few actually helpful NPCs in the game.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Oxxidation posted:

Then don't solo him. If he brings a friend into the fight you are totally entitled to do the same.

I finally beat it solo, but god what a pain in the rear end.

Malcolm XML posted:

What level are you

Soul level 51, using a +7 mace.

I used the dragon crest shield and stayed primarily towards the side with his fire sword.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

HaB posted:

- am I wasting titanite by leveling up my Sorc Staff?
- are the keys in Dungeon of Ihrhrhrhyryhryhryh broken? or is the guide just wrong? I couldn't open ANYTHING until I got the Jailer's Keyring.
- is Pyro as OP as I think it is as the start of the game? In previous games you were limited to 8 casts of Fireball. Now you start with Fireball and Combustion until you run out of FP. I chumped the Katana dude by Firelink like a sissy.

Thanks in advance!

- there's no risk of wasting titanite until you get to the chunk level, at which point you'll probably have found a better staff
- no, i'm not sure what guide you're using though. jailbreaker's key opens the window right on the same level/side as the bonfire, i forgot the rest
- it's okay, and is indeed OP for certain bosses
- you monster

Orv
May 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

He fires them at enemies, not at you. Why did you kill your buddy :smith:

I need rings man!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pontiff made me a believer in the ultra greatsword again. I had a +7 Astora Greatsword for that fight (thanks, two random chunks I found before I even got it to +5!) and was taking off 300-400 damage per swing. The fight still took me four tries, but it was good that the rare times I could actually hit him between his seven-hit combos really counted.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Groovelord Neato posted:

what build are you.

Dex with some spare points mixed into strength because I wanted to try some weapons out. I've been using a combination of the Wolf Curved Sword (Watchdog reward) and swapping to the Ucigatana for most bosses. However, I had a lot of spare titanite and last night I took the sellsword dualswords to sharp +6 and I was amazed at how much damage they crapped out. Gunna be using those as my quick weapons for the forseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
My giant killed himself. He was nice for a while, then shooting at me again at the poison swamp crab and I went to go see what's what and he was sitting there dead.