Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

.e think of it like this, you know how your grandma is still paying for dial-up AOL even though you set her up with cable internet ten years ago, solely because she refuses to understand that the AOL email client isn't literally "the internet"? At some point it's not worth arguing about it because hell, she's probably got less than ten years to live anyway.

Jeez, I had to have this talk with my parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

ChesterJT posted:

But actual questions that are no long relevant? I don't understand why people humor his autism.

It's an unofficial "official" team policy to not post the questions in here. I don't see other teams doing it, and even if they are there's no reason to follow by example.

If people want to see the questions like I always say, join the IRC and we'll gladly show them to you.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

BeOSPOS posted:

Also, I work in an academic library so maybe I can help round up obscure info some way?

I pestered a friend who works at a university library to get us a book on track and field over the past 50 years or something like that, so almanacs would be useful.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Leperflesh posted:

What I am envisioning is a public chat room anyone can join. A handful of admins monitor the room. If you want to join Trivia you go there and ask to join. An admin gets to you when its convenient (e.g., not in the middle of a frenzied attempt to answer a tough question) and if you check out, you get the password to the password-protected main Trivia chat channel.

It's one added step, it's a little less convenient for people to join, but it means there's no chance of a random unapproved person popping into the pw-protected channel at an inopportune moment... and that means there's no need to constantly be on the lookout so you can super-fast kick someone who wanders in at an inopportune moment.

We essentially already do this with the spreadsheets. You can get spreadsheet access if someone looks you over and accepts that you're a genuine goon. You get the pw and you're good.

I've been wishing it worked this way for years

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
A private forums thread would be great to discuss things for next year. I tossed out a few ideas on IRC, but wouldn't want to post them publicly.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
A 8:30am deposition and other stupid real life things prevented me from doing much, but the hours I got to spend in the chat were awesome as always.

I knew the jack donaghey guess was wrong because 30 Rock is my preferred show to be a giant sperg about

This is a lot of fun every year and the guys that hang out in IRC during the dead months are the ~true heroes~

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

ChesterJT posted:

But actual questions that are no long relevant? I don't understand why people humor his autism.

The man can literally shut you out of the contest forever if he doesn't like you. We already have a strike against us for being an internet team, which is a form of team that's tolerated, but not liked. There's no benefit to posting them here when you can join IRC and see them in our private hosting, and there's no need to aggravate the contest organizers.

Contrary to many Goon projects, we are good citizens on this one. Oz spends spends hundreds of hours a year on organizing this thing, so least we can do is follow his rules.

The most we can do is donate to the station. Details in...irc.

I Greyhound fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 19, 2016

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I agree that things got a little too tense a few times during the weekend; however, I also know that we're all only human, and that "heat of the moment" things happen. The stress of competition exacerbated by the stress of moderation even further exacerbated by sleep deprivation can lead to the occasional unfortunate flare up of poo poo that nobody really likes.

Like, keeping the chaos limited is truly critical to our team's success. It sucks whenever feelings get hurt as a result of moderator actions, though. I just think it's important not to go too far in EITHER direction. Have fun, just don't let the chat fall to pieces at the expense of the contrast. Moderate the room, just don't get so iron-fisted that people can no longer just relax and enjoy the social aspect of the weekend. If one moderator handles something, don't dog pile the guy needing correction. If someone is corrected on something, don't ignore the moderator and keep loving off.

Or something. I hope that made sense.

Love the idea of a "staging" area for access into #tp! Also love the idea of a password on the caller room.

To answer a previous poster -- callers almost always DO have a consensus answer ready when we start calling. poo poo can always change at the very last second, like for the one singing question we had on Sunday! Gets WAY intense sometimes.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 19, 2016

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I also though OZ claimed copyright on the questions he writes? I know it's a bit fuzzy because trivia questions are essentially statements of facts and it can get murky unless you put in trap questions like Columbo's first name or fake streets on maps. Which are themselves trivia questions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trivia_Encyclopedia

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

In a couple weeks, I want to see the Google metrics on usage over this weekend. I know one was posted in the past, but I'm always curious to see it every year.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pubic Lair posted:

I also though OZ claimed copyright on the questions he writes? I know it's a bit fuzzy because trivia questions are essentially statements of facts and it can get murky unless you put in trap questions like Columbo's first name or fake streets on maps. Which are themselves trivia questions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trivia_Encyclopedia

Thanks for that link, I actually didn't know that. That's interesting.

But I think that The Oz would have a good case arguing that the specific wording of (some? all?) of his questions can be considerd works of art in and of themselves.

But, IANAL

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

brylcreem posted:

Thanks for that link, I actually didn't know that. That's interesting.

But I think that The Oz would have a good case arguing that the specific wording of (some? all?) of his questions can be considerd works of art in and of themselves.

But, IANAL

Maybe in a court of law but all he has to do is ban us from trivia which is entirely within his power.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Yeah, one of the rules for entering trivia is you can't post the questions online publicly. Breaking that rule means you don't get to enter. We want to enter, so we don't post them publicly.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

If you hunger for more Oz, stat watching the 90FM Trivia Facebook page! Daily questions will start up again soon, if they haven't already.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

I Greyhound posted:

The man can literally shut you out of the contest forever if he doesn't like you. We already have a strike against us for being an internet team, which is a form of team that's tolerated, but not liked. There's no benefit to posting them here when you can join IRC and see them in our private hosting, and there's no need to aggravate the contest organizers.

Contrary to many Goon projects, we are good citizens on this one. Oz spends spends hundreds of hours a year on organizing this thing, so least we can do is follow his rules.

The most we can do is donate to the station. Details in...irc.

I understand all that. I guess my thought is if his contest is losing participants it is very likely due to his own mistakes, stubbornness, and nonsensical rules and I find it hard to feel sorry for him. The contest itself is interesting enough and is a great team activity but let's be honest here, he's not doing anything special.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

ChesterJT posted:

I understand all that. I guess my thought is if his contest is losing participants it is very likely due to his own mistakes, stubbornness, and nonsensical rules and I find it hard to feel sorry for him. The contest itself is interesting enough and is a great team activity but let's be honest here, he's not doing anything special.

I think people have been merging teams because the internet has facilitated the ability to do so - also the increased chances of doing way better when teaming up.

I don't see any reason for us or anyone else to feel sorry, I'm not sure where that idea came from.

So yeah - we do everything in our power to not attract eyes and we're gonna keep doing that

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

ChesterJT posted:

The contest itself is interesting enough and is a great team activity but let's be honest here, he's not doing anything special.

yeah totally anyone can organize 52 straight hours of loosely themed trivia with questions, music, photo hunt, and beam less scavenging with a phone bank staffed with volunteers to handle that many teams.

Which is why so many other places do it.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Do you want to help in the offseason but you can't stand the lovely sitcoms Oz watches? If you see pics of cereal boxes, limited edition products, whatever Vince Offer is shilling, etc., send me pics! Please pm me or check #tp or the mailing list for more info.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Having organised pub quizzes in the past, which only last a couple of hours, I dread to think how hard it is to organise this competition. Saying it's nothing special is pretty ignorant.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

CrashCat posted:

spoken like someone who actually got to hear Popcorn :argh:

I actually missed it this year. :(

Next time....

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

This was my first year hanging around, but I think if you guys are looking for an alternative to IRC you should consider starting a Slack channel. I think you can set it to pre-approved users only, we could set up different channels for music/images/bullshitting around/etc., and the free version can either handle 1,000 or 10,000 users.

We switched from IRC to Slack in Work Crew (because of course we did) and it's been a pretty good experience so far, plus the phone app is pretty easy to use if you have to run out to grab a pizza or something.

e: You can also set up invite-only channels (I think?) depending on how paranoid we should be about goon secrecy.

But I definitely agree that "let's have a fun goon hivemind weekend" is more important than "SIXTH PLACE ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH WE NEED TO BE FIFTH", full stop.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

FadingChord posted:

This was my first year hanging around, but I think if you guys are looking for an alternative to IRC you should consider starting a Slack channel. I think you can set it to pre-approved users only, we could set up different channels for music/images/bullshitting around/etc., and the free version can either handle 1,000 or 10,000 users.

We switched from IRC to Slack in Work Crew (because of course we did) and it's been a pretty good experience so far, plus the phone app is pretty easy to use if you have to run out to grab a pizza or something.

e: You can also set up invite-only channels (I think?) depending on how paranoid we should be about goon secrecy.

But I definitely agree that "let's have a fun goon hivemind weekend" is more important than "SIXTH PLACE ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH WE NEED TO BE FIFTH", full stop.

That's not a bad idea, actually. How much feature-wise do you get for free?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I hang around on a goon's private Slack and it's a pretty great tool. It has way more features than IRC - for example, if you place a link to a video inline, slack loads an embedded video player. Paste a link and slack loads a quick preview/title for it. Paste a link to an image and it loads a thumbnail of the image. You can easily spawn side-conversations, you can comment on a specific post someone just made, you can set up notifications, etc.

You can connect to slack using a browser tab, or you can install a client on mobile, plus there are dedicated desktop clients.

You can upload documents to a slack room and share them with others. Slack also supports bots and scripting macros etc.

I do not know how well it will perform when 100 of us are hammering it with links. If we consider slack I think we need to test it. One issue might be all the previews cluttering up the page so they fly by too fast, but I think that sort of thing is configurable.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Teddybear posted:

That's not a bad idea, actually. How much feature-wise do you get for free?

This is actually the only Slack I'm in so I don't really know what I'm missing out on, but we're running the free one and it seems pretty functional. It looks like you only get 10 plugins and your archive only goes back 10k messages, but I don't think either of those would be much of an issue for Trivia. If there's a really important message that you just have to save, you can either pin it (100 pin limit per channel) or you can star it, which will save it for you and only you. 5 GB total storage too, but I can't imagine we'd store that much stuff?

There's a "the unlimited trial has limits!" article from Business Insider but the SHOCKING SECRET LIMIT is that a guy's free channel stopped letting people in when he got to almost 8,500 users which is... probably bigger than we would be.

I think as an admin you can set the whole thing to be approval-only or invite-only, so it would just be a matter of everyone posting "please add me, it's username at gmail" in a thread once (or in IRC, I guess?)

https://www.slack.com/pricing

e:

Leperflesh posted:

I do not know how well it will perform when 100 of us are hammering it with links. If we consider slack I think we need to test it. One issue might be all the previews cluttering up the page so they fly by too fast, but I think that sort of thing is configurable.

This would be the one issue, but it wouldn't be any more of an issue than it is in IRC. You can react to any post with an emoji, actually, so doing thumbs up/thumbs down (or custom emotes; you can import and emote, so we could pretty quickly get SA emotes up and running) might save some "YOU MORONS THE ANSWER IS HARRY POTTER" spam when we're trying to figure out if Daniel Radcliffe's breakout role was Harry Potter or J. Pierpont Finch, for example.

e2: You can also set up push notifications on your phone for slack, so potentially I could pop in and go "hey guys I'm going to be busy all weekend, but I know a lot about Happy Days trivia" and then I could get summoned by a hundred goons when there's a question about the Laverne and Shirley spinoff cartoon or whatever.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 19, 2016

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

ChesterJT posted:

So are we going to have the ChesterJT 54 hour trivia contest this year? I don't know how anybody can think what he's does is easy. Just the fact that most of his Q's are answered is pretty freaking impressive IMO and that says nothing about organizing the contest and actually sustaining operations and keeping everyone in line...

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Is difficulty of first time connecting about equal to IRC on slack?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

joke_explainer posted:

Is difficulty of first time connecting about equal to IRC on slack?

As somebody who just started using both within the last two years, Slack is a bit harder to join but it's also more intuitive to join if you've never used either (plus we can link directly to it, instead of "go to your favorite IRC client and load the channel").

There would be a bit more set-up if we made it invite-only, but that's no worse than the current verification process in IRC and wouldn't necessarily interfere with simultaneously googling trivia questions and once you're in, you're in for good. (You can still be banned, for what that's worth.) If there were several admins (I think the IRC channel had, like, 12?) then it would just be a matter of having someone check the thread every 15 minutes or so.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Can you set up boys on slack for ?emma and ?grease, though?

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
+1 for slack

I'm on a few slack groups and its miles above irc wrt ease of use

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Scientastic posted:

Can you set up boys on slack for ?emma and ?grease, though?

There's support for bots, yes

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Yeah as far as getting going for new people slack is stupid easy. No idea how getting bots set up works. There's a ton of institutional knowledge and history and Emma pics tied up in deepthought, and losing that would be a no-go.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

It also occurs to me that a non-negligible feature of Slack is that you could constantly make the main room topic be the current question (which you can do in IRC) but still have links to everything else (Google Docs, the thread, scores, radio stream) in the Channel Purpose.

I'm not sure how the "call successfully placed" bot would import to Slack, but having a separate #callers channel could probably make that work. As somebody who wasn't on call duty and will never make a call, I honestly couldn't care less about successfully placed/unsuccessfully placed calls as long as somebody gets it in by the buzzer, so missing out on that wouldn't be the end of the world. (You could probably make a bot to do this pretty easily; I just don't personally know how.)

We'd have close to a year to figure it out, after all.

e: VVV I saw that ninja edit :smuggo:

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 19, 2016

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

FadingChord posted:

It also occurs to me that a non-negligible feature of Slack is that you could constantly make the main room topic be the current question (which you can do in IRC) but still have links to everything else (Google Docs, the thread, scores, radio stream) in the Channel Purpose.

I'm not sure how the "call successfully placed" bot would import to Slack, but having a separate #callers channel could probably make that work. As somebody who wasn't on call duty and will never make a call, I honestly couldn't care less about successfully placed/unsuccessfully placed calls as long as somebody gets it in by the buzzer, so missing out on that wouldn't be the end of the world. (You could probably make a bot to do this pretty easily; I just don't personally know how.)

We'd have close to a year to figure it out, after all.

Watching the calls be placed is like half the excitement

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

I'm not a fan of moving to slack. I use it already for work and really dislike it.

The barrier to entry for the IRC is pretty low as it stands anyway. Slack has a bunch of bullshit features that make it a glorified IRC and requires a lot of custom configuration to make it run well. It also makes us rely on a 3rd party service for stability. What happens if slack goes down during the weekend?

Counterpoint: what happens if IRC goes down during the weekend right? Well we've been planning to move to our own IRC server for a while now.

Counterpoint to slack: you have to pay for logs to my knowledge, we would BLOW past the free log history in about an hour during the contest. What use is that to us?

Slack is not a good idea just for that alone and I'm not inclined to pay for that service either.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
IRC is fine, keep using IRC

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

We've been using IRC for years and it works fine, we've built systems around it and it works. We can set up our own system and continue to enhance the existing tools. There really isn't a need to over complicate the chat room - if you're itching to work on something, there are plenty of shows to note/tools to build.

.random
May 7, 2007

rawillkill posted:

I'm not a fan of moving to slack. I use it already for work and really dislike it.

The barrier to entry for the IRC is pretty low as it stands anyway. Slack has a bunch of bullshit features that make it a glorified IRC and requires a lot of custom configuration to make it run well. It also makes us rely on a 3rd party service for stability. What happens if slack goes down during the weekend?

Counterpoint: what happens if IRC goes down during the weekend right? Well we've been planning to move to our own IRC server for a while now.

Counterpoint to slack: you have to pay for logs to my knowledge, we would BLOW past the free log history in about an hour during the contest. What use is that to us?

Slack is not a good idea just for that alone and I'm not inclined to pay for that service either.

I don't understand the actual benefit of Slack in our use case. It's not like we need to support markdown or show inline images...? (Besides, if you really like inline images, there are HTML-rendered IRC clients which do that for you. they are not as sleek as simpler text-based IRC though for obvious reasons.)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Eeh, +1 for keeping IRC, if only because we wouldn't have to spend time rebuilding and/or reconfiguring bots/scripts/macros/whatever. Building those in the first place is a big time commitment for the people who've done it, and I don't want to stretch their good graces and energy levels so far that they start to feel burnt out on the trivia experience. :shobon:

Slack is an okay service, and so is Discord, but I feel like IRC's age is a bonus in its favor. It's a pretty stable environment, and the SynIRC admins are highly responsive in #help.

Maybe it's something we can look into in the future if it looks like our IRC presence is going to become unreliable, but for now, I don't think it's something in our game that really needs to be polished.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I agree that there's a lot of benefit to keeping things as simple as possible and that basically means IRC. I don't really think slack is great for the fast paced stuff that happens in trivia. It gives people flexibility, which is what's important. If you WANT inline images to show or something then you can set up IRC clients to do that. And, if we want to increase security, we can do that through IRC (institute lobby and then +k the main channel, for example, or at least registered only).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I don't really see how IRC is limiting us or how any of the unique features of Slack would benefit us. We really didn't miss any questions this year because chat was too chaotic. Our organization and communication between people has improved every year and is a well-oiled machine at this point.

• Locked thread