Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

the Orb of Zot posted:

AOE slow, AOE sleep on a boss that almost never uses physical attacks, stopping his extremely brutal RES-ignoring tsunami from firing off is very difficult (you get 1 turn to stop him and have to hit him with 3 separate lightning abilities/SBs, multiple hit SBs only count for 1 of those 3 hits), counter Stop (single target), extremely durable (350k HP)... His only mercies are he's basically nothing but magic damage and that he has exploitable elemental weaknesses (Ice normally, lightning when charging tsunami).

And it doesn't help that in contrast to the three or so events before and after it the banners in that event are absolute garbage.

It's the first Ultimate+ that actually lives up to the name, at any rate.

EDIT: For reference, my basic plans that will probably crash and burn for that are as follows

Agrias (Thundara Strike/Saint Cross) (SSB available)
Celes (Blizzara Strike/Thundara Strike) (Runic Blade)
Tyro (Full Break/Magic Breakdown) (Sentinel's Grimoire)
Quistis (Blizzaja/Thundaja) (Mighty Guard VIII)
Y'sholta (Curaja/?) (SSII, Medica II)

Thank god he's only 1 stamina to attempt!

EDIT 2: Also worth noting is that when he's NOT charging Tsunami he's immune to lightning and when he is he's immune to ice.

I'm curious if Doublecasts will count as separate casts. Probably to risky to gamble on, but...

And you still have a really good chance with those SBs. I wonder if I should just go full-Ice, bring a Runic RW, and gamble on Dreamstage to save me from Tsunami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Attestant posted:

Nice that they moved the +/++/+++ at the start of the event, and reduced some of the lower level clutter. While they're important for newer players, I was getting real tired of anything below diff 99. It's nice that older players have something interesting to do when the event starts.

They were kinda irrelevant for newbies as well since one 5* weapon is more than enough to destroy the normal dungeons, and even enough to go a bit into some elite.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Shoenin posted:

They were kinda irrelevant for newbies as well since one 5* weapon is more than enough to destroy the normal dungeons, and even enough to go a bit into some elite.

Yeah, but at least most of the rewards still matter early on. Get far enough and only mythril and 4* or higher orbs and accessories matter.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
0/41 since SSBfest :negative: I think I'm just going to stop pulling until BSBfest/Serah's event...

At least multiplayer is something to look forward to.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

the Orb of Zot posted:

AOE slow, AOE sleep on a boss that almost never uses physical attacks, stopping his extremely brutal RES-ignoring tsunami from firing off is very difficult (you get 1 turn to stop him and have to hit him with 3 separate lightning abilities/SBs, multiple hit SBs only count for 1 of those 3 hits), counter Stop (single target), extremely durable (350k HP)... His only mercies are he's basically nothing but magic damage and that he has exploitable elemental weaknesses (Ice normally, lightning when charging tsunami).

And it doesn't help that in contrast to the three or so events before and after it the banners in that event are absolute garbage.

It's the first Ultimate+ that actually lives up to the name, at any rate.

EDIT: For reference, my basic plans that will probably crash and burn for that are as follows

Agrias (Thundara Strike/Saint Cross) (SSB available)
Celes (Blizzara Strike/Thundara Strike) (Runic Blade)
Tyro (Full Break/Magic Breakdown) (Sentinel's Grimoire)
Quistis (Blizzaja/Thundaja) (Mighty Guard VIII)
Y'sholta (Curaja/?) (SSII, Medica II)

Thank god he's only 1 stamina to attempt!

EDIT 2: Also worth noting is that when he's NOT charging Tsunami he's immune to lightning and when he is he's immune to ice.

I don’t think I am going to beat this one, but it’s only 1 stamina to try so it’s worth a shot. It seems you need:

Mage meta (he counters with physical attacks with stop)
3-4 sources of lightning damage
Ice damage
Runic (this may be needed, um carbuncle will heal him)
Shellga
Magic breakdown
Poison shot (he is vulnerable to poison this will be work horse ability)
Hastega (to counter slowga)

That leaves two more slots for something.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
A Runic/Grand Cross RW won't last the whole fight, so you'll still want enough magic mitigation or to risk Stop counters.

I'm not sure how well Summoners will do in that fight - Shiva won't be doing a lot and even with a R4 4* Summon they only get four shots at interrupting Tsunami. I guess if you have the Storm Staff Garnet has her SB, but trying to interrupt using that on reaction might be difficult.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm curious if Doublecasts will count as separate casts. Probably to risky to gamble on, but...

I don't understand why they wouldn't, it has been in literally every possible instance before now.

Hell, the second cast doesn't even follow targeting, it uses the auto-targeting rules.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Does Yuffie ever pick up Dancer 5 in JP?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Attestant posted:

Nice that they moved the +/++/+++ at the start of the event, and reduced some of the lower level clutter. While they're important for newer players, I was getting real tired of anything below diff 99. It's nice that older players have something interesting to do when the event starts.

Do we still get as much Mythril as before? :ohdear:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

IllegallySober posted:

Does Yuffie ever pick up Dancer 5 in JP?

Yuffie? Not so far. Rikku did, though.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
For Chandarnook Ultimate, do I go with Diaga or Alexander?

Need to create a holy magic attack to use for the fight.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Zurai posted:

Yuffie? Not so far. Rikku did, though.

Darn. Was thinking Multi Break would be worth giving her. Still haven't found a great second skill to give her to add to Thief's Revenge. She's toting Dismissal at the moment. Any better ideas for her?

I'm running Sazh as a second Support and he's got Full Break/Magic Breakdown so I either need damage or something to complement that.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So for the dollar pull I pulled my second golden bangle. Now I have a full set of ffvii 5* armor, 4 bangles and a mage hat. So essentially I'm forever set on armor for ffvii.

Edit: Is it bad that I want Vincent's gun? I really would like to have a magic boostga. I mean I can always RM it like I do scream.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 19, 2016

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

IllegallySober posted:

Darn. Was thinking Multi Break would be worth giving her. Still haven't found a great second skill to give her to add to Thief's Revenge. She's toting Dismissal at the moment. Any better ideas for her?

I'm running Sazh as a second Support and he's got Full Break/Magic Breakdown so I either need damage or something to complement that.

Steal Power if you're not running Shout. Dismissal or Tempo Flurry are fine. Ninja spells if you have a magic thrown weapon she can use and the boss is weak to one of them. Any of the 4 star dances against multi-target enemies.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I have been chasing Valiant Knife in the Relm 1 Banner for the past week nonstop using the mythril from the new Daily Dungeons and have managed to pull a Chocobo Brush, Morning Star, two Oath Veils, and a Thief's Bracer.

I just want the knife.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Give me your Chocobo Brush, all I'm getting are IV armors and XII weapons.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Any reason why you want the Knife? It's a good weapon and good SB for a decent character, but keep in mind that its additional effects will go over the soft cap anyway with Shout.

The Valiant Knife also comes back six months from now on a much better banner - Celes Dress Record 1 not only has the Valiant Knife and Chocobo Brush, but also Celes' Lightbringer, which has probably one of the top 5 BSBs at the moment. Both the Valiant Knife and Chocobo Brush also have 2% rates instead of the 1% on the current banners. Plus Locke's BSB is featured in the celebration banners about 5 months from now.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Any reason why you want the Knife? It's a good weapon and good SB for a decent character, but keep in mind that its additional effects will go over the soft cap anyway with Shout.

The Valiant Knife also comes back six months from now on a much better banner - Celes Dress Record 1 not only has the Valiant Knife and Chocobo Brush, but also Celes' Lightbringer, which has probably one of the top 5 BSBs at the moment. Both the Valiant Knife and Chocobo Brush also have 2% rates instead of the 1% on the current banners. Plus Locke's BSB is featured in the celebration banners about 5 months from now.

It's kind of (ok, really) irrational, but I just really want to fully kit out my murder party. My primary team right now is Locke, Ramza (Shout/Tailwind), Agrias (Hallowed Bolt), Terra (-ajas) or Cloud (Bladebeam), and Tyro healing (Sentinel/Last Judgment). Locke and Terra are the only ones missing their SSBs :(

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
In all honesty if you can hold out for six months, the Lightbringer banner also has Terra's much better second SSB.

That said I can understand the desire to go full in for favourite characters. I'm already sure a good bulk of Mythril will go to Basch 1, and even then I'm going to pull on Basch 2 just because I'm not going to listen to Ondore's lies.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
So I realized I'm actually in need of some good ff7 SBs because all I got are clouds hard edge, Tifa first glove and aeriths dragonforce. I'm kinda tempted to pull on banner 2 because of the promise of 2 physical SSBs. Are they pretty good, or am I better off pulling the long con and waiting for Cait siths event?

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

ApplesandOranges posted:

In all honesty if you can hold out for six months,

6 months in this game would make the Knife useless due to power creep.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Man, I remember when +++ bosses first came out and they were the scary poo poo. Nowadays my A-Team just wrecks them in 4 turns with SC/TR spam. Bring on the U+.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Huh. After the next FFXIV event, a Wall hasn't reappeared at all, has it? Outside of the slim chance on lucky draws, at least.

I was planning out what draws to do and came to the horrible realization that if I don't get a Wall there or BSB fest it'll be a big mystery when the next one will show up, with no guarantee I'd get it too. Even if there's another XIV event, all the banners right now in JP seem to follow the pattern of 5 (B)SSBs, 1 SB and a generic, so Thyrus appearing will be really slim.

Might pull on Kuja 2 since it's a double chance at a Hastega, but I think I'll need to skip out on everything else from now on. Need to save...

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

bilperkins2 posted:

Outside of the number of hits going up on SB/SSBs, Power creep isn't half of what it's hyped up to be. Sure, it exists, but something like Valiant Knife has a ton of room to grow because it's a low-modifier, 8 hit SB. Even if gear gets better later on, Locke is still going to hold a single-skill, 3.5 potency ability (Thieves' Revenge) with an 8-hit, high potency SB.

You know who feels power creep? Characters from near release, and characters who have the earliest SBs and SSBs. They have lovely ability spreads that will never really get better (Combat 5 + Support 3 + filler skill says hi), or their best SBs cap out well below their peers. Tidus' SSB often hits for the exact same damage as a regular SB, with no added effect. That's power creep.

Niton fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 19, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

bilperkins2 posted:

Not really - it's still a really good SB and the creep isn't as big as the last six months. It gets easier to hone 5* skills, but in terms of relative power physical creep isn't that huge - the only major physical BSBs to come are Pecil, Vaan and Celes (and maybe Gilgamesh). If anything, the biggest boon in the last month in JP is that magic is getting good again.

Imperil and Attach becoming more common is kind of a negative to the non-elemental nature of Valiant Knife, but you have to build a team around those anyway.

RagnarokAngel posted:

So I realized I'm actually in need of some good ff7 SBs because all I got are clouds hard edge, Tifa first glove and aeriths dragonforce. I'm kinda tempted to pull on banner 2 because of the promise of 2 physical SSBs. Are they pretty good, or am I better off pulling the long con and waiting for Cait siths event?

Banner 2 is pretty good. Cait Sith is okay but not really that great, considering it has a Barret relic on it. It's a good Barret relic because of Imperil Thunder, but if you don't have Last Judgment Grimoire or Peacekeeper it's a risky pull.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Niton posted:

Outside of the number of hits going up on SB/SSBs, Power creep isn't half of what it's hyped up to be. Sure, it exists, but something like Valiant Knife has a ton of room to grow because it's a low-modifier, 8 hit SB. Even if gear gets better later on, Locke is still going to hold a single-skill, 3.5 potency ability (Thieves' Revenge) with an 8-hit, high potency SB.

You know who feels power creep? Characters from near release, and characters who have the earliest SBs and SSBs. They have lovely ability spreads that will never really get better (Combat 5 + Support 3 + filler skill says hi), or their best SBs cap out well below their peers. Tidus' SSB often hits for the exact same damage as a regular SB, with no added effect. That's power creep.

Even Cloud is showing his age; Fenrir is good, and Blade Beam was good, but neither is really any more than "acceptable" and Spellblade 4/Samurai 3, while better than Support 3/whatever, is still getting overshadowed by a significant swath of characters now.

Cloud was once heralded as the best character in the game by a country mile, and now he's... "eh"? I have problems fitting him into teams in any capacity past Lifesiphon spam now.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Chadarnook ultimate beat my rear end pretty bad.

Cloud (80) Fira Strike (R3) / Retaliate (R5) - Flowers of Trabia
Terra (66) Firaga / Alexander (R2) - Blood of Espers
Mog (64) Curaja (R4) / Diaga (R2) - Oath of Tycoon
Agrias (67) Saint's Cross (R1) / Lifesiphon (R3) - High Scorer
Ramza (68) Magic Breakdown (R2) / Banishing Strike (R2) - Battleforged
RW: Mighty Guard (VIII)

So mistakes

1) with all that holy I have, Flowers of Trabia is pointless. I didn't realize it did damage based on magic stat, not attack, so it did like 200 damage. My RM kinda suck so there's not a whole lot better to give Cloud here than like Soldier Strike though.

2) Didn't realize Chadarnook used so many physical attacks. Think I should replace Diaga with protectga. That's really what killed me, constant 4 x 1000dmg attacks whittling me down too fast.

3) Need Mako Might or Dr. Mog BADLY so I can swap Mog out for tyro and pop his SG right away and/or Cleansing Strike to help mitigation.

4) I used Saint's Cross on Chadarnook before hitting him with a holy SPELL, so lost one of my two charges. It's too expensive to hone right now still.

5) I still wasn't doing enough damage. 1500-3500 damage per attack was just not cutting it. Not sure how to get more damage, or how people were wiping the floor with this.

My synergy in FFVI is okay. I have Celes' Rune Sword, a ++ maneater and a ++ crystal sword for my physical guys, and Oath Veil and Gaia Gear and ++ red jacket and other decent armor. Nothing earth shattering, but I didn't think I'd be doing that little damage with an 80 cloud that had 411 attack. What am I missing?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Tauntaliate worked well in that fight. What's even better is that you can retaliate for 2 turns on goddess form (which has less armor) and there's no counter risk!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Pander posted:

My synergy in FFVI is okay. I have Celes' Rune Sword, a ++ maneater and a ++ crystal sword for my physical guys, and Oath Veil and Gaia Gear and ++ red jacket and other decent armor. Nothing earth shattering, but I didn't think I'd be doing that little damage with an 80 cloud that had 411 attack. What am I missing?

What kind of SBs are your characters rocking? And do you have any SBs that don't regularly make their way into your main party? In particular, White Staff would be super valuable to you if you own it (since I noticed you've done FFT pulls), since it would allow you to bring Shout as your RW rather than Mighty Guard.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Tauntaliate worked well in that fight. What's even better is that you can retaliate for 2 turns on goddess form (which has less armor) and there's no counter risk!

My gil is about level 63. I could try to egg him up into the 70s to help with damage.

Would you use Advance (or Sunbath perhaps?) on him and make ret the primary damage dealer? Or do you just do draw fire to help mitigate the physical damage and still try to deal damage with the other party members?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I usually place all my bets on the Retaliator's damage. If your synergy sucks then use Advance but if you can hit 600+ attack with shout then do that for the faster team actions.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Niton posted:

What kind of SBs are your characters rocking? And do you have any SBs that don't regularly make their way into your main party? In particular, White Staff would be super valuable to you if you own it (since I noticed you've done FFT pulls), since it would allow you to bring Shout as your RW rather than Mighty Guard.

My WHM equipment sucks. I don't think I have a single unique staff, just some shared ones (werebuster (FFII), that FFVII candle).

Cloud: None
Ramza: Shout, Tailwind
Agrias: Cleansing Strike
Mog: Shared medica I (mass mending from werebuster)
Terra: None

I don't have that many SBs of note, mostly damaging ones from Squall, Tidus. I have Beatrix' Thunder Gloves, Golbez's Ebon Armor (useless here), Celes' Rune Blade, Vaan's Zwill Crossblade, Tyrfing, Butterfly Sword, Blazefire Saber, Dusk Lance, Aeris' Guard Stick, Vanille's Binding Rod, two Rydia whips, Seifercoat...

Mostly useless stuff or strictly damage dealing mehness. In hindsight I should have used Aeris more, I kind of forgot I had her medica.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pander posted:

3) Need Mako Might or Dr. Mog BADLY so I can swap Mog out for tyro and pop his SG right away and/or Cleansing Strike to help mitigation.

Grind. Grind like you've never ground before. Take Tyro (if he's broken) and Cloud to Mist Cave and just keep hammering the second stage. Make those RMs drop. (Also, you have to get SOLDIER Counter before Mako Might, so check that you have that, first; if not you have to beat Elite JENOVA-Birth with Cloud in your team; no problems if you're taking on Ultimates.)

Seriously, Mako Might/Mog's Teachings is absolutely crucial at this point in your teambuilding; if you don't have them you're crippling yourself almost as badly as if you didn't have Mana Spring II/Concentration II earlier in the game's life, if not moreso. The ability to pop off SG and/or a Hastega/Shout on Turn 1 is absolutely, positively indispensable.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Oh, you have SG, Shout and Tailwind.Okay, new suggestions. Get at least one of the two RM materia, as described by KataraniSword, and try to hone Banishing Strike up to R3. Then run something like this:

Gilgamesh / Rune Blade / Draw Fire / Retaliate | SOLDIER Strike
Tyro / Armor Breakdown & Double Cut
Agrias / Saint's Cross / Banishing Blade / Agrias +Knight RM or Attunement 2
Ramza - Magic Breakdown / Lifesiphon | Battleforged
Aeris - Curaja / Shellga | Flower of Trabia

RW: Divine Guardian, for extra RES with your Hi-Regen effect.

Don't be afraid to shatter Major Powers /Holies to boost your hones. They'll grow back, and you have more immediate needs for them.

Niton fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 19, 2016

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Grind. Grind like you've never ground before. Take Tyro (if he's broken) and Cloud to Mist Cave and just keep hammering the second stage. Make those RMs drop. (Also, you have to get SOLDIER Counter before Mako Might, so check that you have that, first; if not you have to beat Elite JENOVA-Birth with Cloud in your team; no problems if you're taking on Ultimates.)

Seriously, Mako Might/Mog's Teachings is absolutely crucial at this point in your teambuilding; if you don't have them you're crippling yourself almost as badly as if you didn't have Mana Spring II/Concentration II earlier in the game's life, if not moreso. The ability to pop off SG and/or a Hastega/Shout on Turn 1 is absolutely, positively indispensable.

I definitely have soldier counter, I beat that stage about a week ago and got that RM. That's how I know I've been at his a week, and Dr. Mog's for a bit longer (2-3 weeks).

Guess I'll just grind the dailies too, get mythril along the way. Never got mana spring/concentration earlier, so probably have run things semi-crippled since the getgo.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Niton posted:

e: oh, you have SG, Shout and Tailwind.

Okay, new suggestions. Get at least one of the two RM materia, as described by KataraniSword, and try to hone Banishing Strike up to R3. Then run something like this:

Gilgamesh / Rune Blade / Draw Fire / Retaliate | SOLDIER Strike
Tyro / Armor Breakdown & Double Cut
Agrias / Saint's Cross / Banishing Blade / Agrias +Knight RM or Attunement 2
Ramza - Magic Breakdown / Lifesiphon | Battleforged
Aeris - Curaja / Shellga | Flower of Trabia

RW: Divine Guardian, for extra RES with your Hi-Regen effect.

Don't be afraid to shatter Major Powers to boost your hones, there's more where they came from and Gil isn't really a thing once you've been through a couple of Orbfests.

Yeah, I'm agreeing on all of this. There is a noticeable power gap between Gil at 60-70 vs Cloud at 80, but you'll more than make up the difference in damage with Tauntaliate drawing away the single target hits in the first half. I also agree that Tyro is the only one that needs to be exploiting the Retaliate meta; Agrias and Ramza both got more important poo poo to do (and will probably do more damage anyway, even if it was on Cloud). Try to space out the Holy attacks a bit if you're low on them; you want to keep that Goddess form away as much as possible; even if you aren't proccing Counters, you're still going to get smacked around by Entice, and hitting a bunch of confused characters out of that state when you have Shout active is just asking to be hosed up, especially if Gil still has Retaliate active.

EDIT:

Pander posted:

I definitely have soldier counter, I beat that stage about a week ago and got that RM. That's how I know I've been at his a week, and Dr. Mog's for a bit longer (2-3 weeks).

Guess I'll just grind the dailies too, get mythril along the way. Never got mana spring/concentration earlier, so probably have run things semi-crippled since the getgo.

No, no. That's not the same, that's working at it as you go. What I'm saying is load up Mist Cave, autobattle Mist Cave 2 at max speed, do not stop until you are out of stamina and keep going as soon as you regain stamina. Grinding dailies is going to make the process take longer. Anything other than Mist Cave or the first stage of events is going to make the process take longer. You might get lucky, of course, but if you really need a RM as soon as possible then 2-energy 3-round stages are pretty much the fastest way to do it.

It's not fun, but if you're trying to beat a time-limited event, it's the most reliable method.

EDIT 2: The Spring RMs are a lot less useful than they were in the days before orb conversion; Greaters were rare and you couldn't really reliably afford to do things like hone up Protectga and Shellga, and you could get worn down by trash and end up with a Black Mage or Healer on empty when you got to the boss. Nowdays, honing is a lot easier so it's nowhere near as vital to get them as it was.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 19, 2016

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

Pander posted:

Chadarnook ultimate beat my rear end pretty bad.

Cloud (80) Fira Strike (R3) / Retaliate (R5) - Flowers of Trabia
Terra (66) Firaga / Alexander (R2) - Blood of Espers
Mog (64) Curaja (R4) / Diaga (R2) - Oath of Tycoon
Agrias (67) Saint's Cross (R1) / Lifesiphon (R3) - High Scorer
Ramza (68) Magic Breakdown (R2) / Banishing Strike (R2) - Battleforged
RW: Mighty Guard (VIII)

So mistakes

1) with all that holy I have, Flowers of Trabia is pointless. I didn't realize it did damage based on magic stat, not attack, so it did like 200 damage. My RM kinda suck so there's not a whole lot better to give Cloud here than like Soldier Strike though.

2) Didn't realize Chadarnook used so many physical attacks. Think I should replace Diaga with protectga. That's really what killed me, constant 4 x 1000dmg attacks whittling me down too fast.

4) I used Saint's Cross on Chadarnook before hitting him with a holy SPELL, so lost one of my two charges. It's too expensive to hone right now still.

5) I still wasn't doing enough damage. 1500-3500 damage per attack was just not cutting it. Not sure how to get more damage, or how people were wiping the floor with this.

You are missing consistency ultimate's need a clear meta and not a generic team.
1) Flowers of Trabia does damage based off mind, so you put in on your white mage
2) Your hones are low
3) You should farm Dr mog
4) Saint's Cross is good to keep even at R1
5) Does your Ramza have scream because without it you will not do enough damage

You have two options shout meta and retaliate meta. If you haven’t been playing for long use retaliate meta.
http://ffrk.kongbakpao.com/retaliate-meta/

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I have a strong set of VI gear so it made sense, but man did it feel good to see this team wreck Chardy, especially with all the SBs firing off during the final 45% of her HP.

Squall - Zantetsuken++ - Blasting Zone SB
Agrias - Cyan's first Katana - Cleansing Shot SB
Ramza - Celes' first Sword - Hail of Stones SB
Garnet - RS Shared 5* Mag Rod - Divine Guardian SB
Aerith - Non-RS 5* Mnd Rod - Planet Protector SB

Fingers crossed I can hold my own against Rufus with a solid but aging set of VII weapons (Murasame, Gold Sword+, that free dagger, Full Metal Rod, Aurora Rod, and Tifa's first Fist which no one from that team can use unfortunately). Armor is somewhat lacking though: Wutai Headband, Keepsake Ribbon, and the free Holiday Mittens. :ohdear:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Double Rabite posted:

5) Does your Ramza have scream because without it you will not do enough damage

This is Wrong. Shout is not essential, though not using it/having it active is an explanation for low damage and using it/having it will make life a lot easier. But saying "you will not do enough damage" without any further qualifiers is just misleading hype-bait towards Shout.

With the amount of hones listed there, taking on most ultimates without a heavy Boostga (Shout/PP) or Advantaliate is, in fact, downright reckless and likely to not have the output to get the job done. I'll agree with that. On the other hand, honing up his skills will make up a lot of the difference there, easily just as much if not more than Shout.

tl;dr I'm kind of sick of people acting like Shout is mandatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Is mist cave or fabul castle better for grinding rm? It's most efficient based on lowest energy cost per # of rounds, which makes mist cave better, right?

Also, still looking for opinions on alex v. Diaga for Chandarnook

• Locked thread