Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
You also have to buy some form of sous vide machine, which isn't all that cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I recently started doing the reverse sear and have never had an indoor steak come out good before. It don't even smoke that much and is easy to do when making 4 steaks.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

DekeThornton posted:

You also have to buy some form of sous vide machine, which isn't all that cheap.

mindphlux told me that crockpots work pretty good for that.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

mindphlux told me that crockpots work pretty good for that.

Crockpots take up too much space, at least if you live in an apartment with limited storage.

However the Anova circulator recently became available over here, which pretty much cuts cost for available home sous vide setup in half, so I have started to consider taking the plunge.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

DekeThornton posted:

I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to. I got an Anova on sale for around US$100, which is less than either my toaster oven or my microwave. And it's a gently caress of a lot less than either an oven or a range. And I've been using some form of puddle machine (not always the Anova) several times a week for around six years, so the incremental cost is pretty loving tiny.

I mean yeah they cost money and if you don't have money you don't have it. But the cost to use ratio for s-v has been really great for me compared to most poo poo I use in the kitchen, with the exception of a few other over-performers (insert tiresome discussion of inexpensive Chinese cleavers and woks here).

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

SubG posted:

I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to. I got an Anova on sale for around US$100, which is less than either my toaster oven or my microwave. And it's a gently caress of a lot less than either an oven or a range. And I've been using some form of puddle machine (not always the Anova) several times a week for around six years, so the incremental cost is pretty loving tiny.

Well, over here the cheapest puddle machines available have prttyy much started at about 400$, until the Anova became available aa few months back. And in my case I already had a good convection oven, microvave and induction cooktop, so a puddle machine wouldn't really be needed, just fun.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Where do you live, Deke

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Sweden,

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

DekeThornton posted:

Well, over here the cheapest puddle machines available have prttyy much started at about 400$, until the Anova became available aa few months back. And in my case I already had a good convection oven, microvave and induction cooktop, so a puddle machine wouldn't really be needed, just fun.
I understand what you're saying. The point I'm trying to make is that a puddle machine isn't something that I just use for fun, it's something I use more frequently than most other appliances in my kitchen. As in if I had to replace everything from scratch, a s-v device would be right at the top of the list, above for example a good conventional oven.

I mean I'm not trying to hard sell you on getting a puddle machine. I'm just trying to get across the fact that it's as essential to what I do day-to-day in the kitchen as any of the other cooking appliances more generally accepted as needed in the kitchen.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

SubG posted:

I understand what you're saying. The point I'm trying to make is that a puddle machine isn't something that I just use for fun, it's something I use more frequently than most other appliances in my kitchen. As in if I had to replace everything from scratch, a s-v device would be right at the top of the list, above for example a good conventional oven.

I mean I'm not trying to hard sell you on getting a puddle machine. I'm just trying to get across the fact that it's as essential to what I do day-to-day in the kitchen as any of the other cooking appliances more generally accepted as needed in the kitchen.

If that would be the case I wouldn't really consider even 400 to be all that expensive. What keeps me from pulling the trigger is the nagging feeling I'll buy it, make a bunch of eggs, a steak or two and then let it collect dust in a drawer, which would be a waste.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I use my sous vide circulator a shitload because it's so hands-off. I don't have to fuss around with roasting things in the oven or using the stove much at all. I just get home from work, toss some poo poo in the water, and then after a bit I can sear it on my cast iron with a few extra ingredients that give it a good finish and flavor. There's little to no cleanup and it gets great results. The whole process takes a while but 80% of it is me making lovely posts on the internet while my food cooks.

Most of the stuff in my kitchen is incredibly cheap so $400 is still a lot comparatively and would be a hard sell, I guess my main point is that it grew on me and isn't just some kitchen gimmick.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
A sv machine is a godsend for advanced food prep. I don't use it much for eggs because a nice sunny side up is faster and more convenient, but I use it regularly on prepping bulk chicken breast for salads for the week or duck or chicken confit for a meat that reheats beautifully that I use throughout the week. Any dinner party I host usually has the meat main done sv because it's easy to precook and hold or reheat gently.

I'm with SubG that it's more useful than my oven, especially if you have a nice toaster oven like the Breville, and is a core staple of my kitchen.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
If you're of the even mildly technical sort of person you can buy a knock-off PID controller, solid state relay, and probe thermocouple for like $20-$25 USD and combine them to control a crock pot to within perfectly functional sous vide temperatures. I did this a few weeks back and have been impressed enough with the results that a proper commercial version with active circulation is likely a near future purchase.

If you're not the technical type just try doing some reverse sear steaks - that method removes a ton of variables and darn near guarantees a good result with wider tolerance on the exact cooking time/temp than straight cooking raw meat in a pan allows.

Also, who doesn't have room in their house for a crock pot? It's like the exact opposite of a single-use gimmick device.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Yeah I totally don't get having room/budget for a sous vide setup but not a crockpot...

Also re steaks I tend to do everything in a cast iron on stovetop, the thicker the steak the lower the heat and as it gets close to temp you increase the heat until you finish with a super hard sear, with a hard dark crust, flipping frequently with tongs. When it's almost done throw in butter herbs and garlic and baste until you rest and pour the butter over it. Unf.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I am unfussed by a crust on my steak. As long as it has good mallards, I don't care whether it has a crust or not.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Apparently NY strip streaks are not meant to be ~1/2 inch thick and I ended up with hilariously overdone steaks. :downs: They were still tasty, but they also exuded a lot of juice while they rested which made them become kind of waterlogged and soggy. Next time, I'm resting them on a rack of some sort.

Is there a simpler way to bread something than the standard three-station breading process? Using up three different dishes/bowls and wasting a bunch of ingredients sucks, and I'm wondering if I can't just dump what I need on the plate of meat as-is.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scientastic posted:

I am unfussed by a crust on my steak. As long as it has good mallards, I don't care whether it has a crust or not.

I generally like a good confit for mallards

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Pollyanna posted:

Apparently NY strip streaks are not meant to be ~1/2 inch thick and I ended up with hilariously overdone steaks. :downs: They were still tasty, but they also exuded a lot of juice while they rested which made them become kind of waterlogged and soggy. Next time, I'm resting them on a rack of some sort.

Is there a simpler way to bread something than the standard three-station breading process? Using up three different dishes/bowls and wasting a bunch of ingredients sucks, and I'm wondering if I can't just dump what I need on the plate of meat as-is.

You can batter it instead of breading it. It's not exactly the same, but it takes less dishes.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Pollyanna posted:

Soak it in buttermilk then go straight to the flour.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Rurutia posted:

A sv machine is a godsend for advanced food prep. I don't use it much for eggs because a nice sunny side up is faster and more convenient, but I use it regularly on prepping bulk chicken breast for salads for the week or duck or chicken confit for a meat that reheats beautifully that I use throughout the week. Any dinner party I host usually has the meat main done sv because it's easy to precook and hold or reheat gently.

I'm with SubG that it's more useful than my oven, especially if you have a nice toaster oven like the Breville, and is a core staple of my kitchen.

For confit in the SV do you freeze the oil? Or is there a sub-chamber-sealer vacuum machine capable of pulling a vacuum on liquids?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Sextro posted:

For confit in the SV do you freeze the oil? Or is there a sub-chamber-sealer vacuum machine capable of pulling a vacuum on liquids?

Chamber sealers are definitely capable of vacuuming with liquids. But no, I use the moist setting, and hang the bag off the side. It does a pretty good job. I also don't use much oil, since that does nothing (per Modernist Cuisine). For fatty cuts, Kenji from serious eats actually doesn't put in any oil and just depends on the fat rendered while cooking.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Sextro posted:

don't use liquid oil. use solid pork or duck fat, or lard, or crisco, or butter, or ghee, or or or or or or

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

mindphlux posted:

don't use liquid oil. use solid pork or duck fat, or lard, or crisco, or butter, or ghee, or or or or or or

Butter flavored crisco. I've seen this and always been so curious. Finally a justification!

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

You can use oil. Just cut the vac process off short. Small amounts of air will always be in the pocket even w/ pro setups for low oxygen setups like 72 hr short ribs.

But yeah other oils are probably better. I have no idea what you're doing but now I want to do coconut oil and pork.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Awwwww sheet yo, A Bite Of China is on Amazon. Free with Prime. The narrator is different then the version on youtube. Though. Younger.

Edit: Oh, now there's a lady narrating.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 18, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My local supermarket was actually selling duck breast, so I snagged some. :dance: I don't know how I'm gonna cook it yet, but I'm looking forward to it! I haven't had duck in such a long time, I don't actually remember how it tastes. I guess I'll find out.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Picked up a 1968 book of salad recipes from Goodwill at the weekend. I now have a new favourite recipe direction: Partly Congeal.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
So...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

i have felt this way for a long time

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Cavenagh posted:

Picked up a 1968 book of salad recipes from Goodwill at the weekend. I now have a new favourite recipe direction: Partly Congeal.

:barf:

Are you waiting for Jell-o or a mayo mixture to congeal in that?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Marta Velasquez posted:

Are you waiting for Jell-o or a mayo mixture to congeal in that?

Only after you add the greatest ingredient I have seen to date on any American potted meat product: "Mechanically Separated & Defatted Chicken Parts"

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
The partly congeal direction comes from the recipe for 'Salad Supper' by Mrs Joe C Parrish, Kenbridge Va.

1 c hot chicken broth
2 pkg. lemon flavored gelatin
1 c mayonnaise
2 7-oz bottles Seven-Up
3 c grated cabbage
3 tbsp prepared horseradish
2 8 oz cans smoked turkey
2 1 lb cans jellied cranberry sauce
Bibb lettuce.

Add broth to gelatin; cool. Beat in the mayonnaise. Add Seven-Up. Partly congeal. Stir in cabbage and horseradish. Chill till firm in 8 cup mold. Serve with smoked turkey and cranberry sauce on crisp lettuce. Yield" 7-10 servings.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
So, it was Jell-o *and* mayo with chicken broth.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm sure Mrs Gunderson has made and served that dish to great acclaim.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Cavenagh posted:

The partly congeal direction comes from the recipe for 'Salad Supper' by Mrs Joe C Parrish, Kenbridge Va.

1 c hot chicken broth
1 c mayonnaise
2 7-oz bottles Seven-Up
3 c grated cabbage
Bibb lettuce.

Add broth to gelatin; cool. Beat in the mayonnaise. Add Seven-Up. Partly congeal. Stir in cabbage and horseradish. Chill till firm in 8 cup mold. Serve with smoked turkey and cranberry sauce on crisp lettuce. Yield" 7-10 servings.

It's...it's beautiful.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cavenagh posted:

1 c hot chicken broth
1 c mayonnaise
2 7-oz bottles Seven-Up
3 c grated cabbage
Bibb lettuce.

There's got to be a picture with the recipe please tell me there's a picture

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

This thread has heard of http://lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html right

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Sadly the book has very few pictures. Even Mrs Dwight D. Eisenhower's Chicken Jewel Ring Salad doesn't get one.

If the 7-Up were added when the gelatin was partly congealed, would that mean there's a chance the bubbles will stay? So it could be a Sparkling Salad, with more Cranberry sauce per portion than turkey.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Reminds me of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME