Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I loved the Rapier in DS2 and built many characters around it. If I invest titanite shards in levelling it up will it be worth it? Right now im using the broadsword and I really like it but man I love Rapiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I've discovered a new way to dodge Pontiff's slicing laser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7z8yh6MiPY

I was merely expressing my sorrow, I didn't expect it to save my life :ohdear:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Begemot posted:

I found the Pontiff to be a complete pushover. I stumbled onto him after exploring for a while and I only had 4 estus left. Summoned a couple of sunbros and we took him down no problem.

thx

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I've appeared to have hit a brick wall - I have no idea where to go next. I just killed Yhorm the Giant and now I just seem to be doing continual laps of the Irithyll dungeon trying to find where to go. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Builds I'm currently looking forward to trying out:
  • Pure pyromancer. Looks like a ton of fun. I really want to try out that pyromancer whip weapon, too.
  • The smashy run. Only blunt weapons allowed. Gonna pancake things with Morne's Great Hammer (if I can spare the Faith) and the Drang Hammers.
What else have people found fun? My current dude is just straight-up quality, might respec him to try out Faith in NG+.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Begemot posted:

Meanwhile, I found the Pontiff to be a complete pushover. I stumbled onto him after exploring for a while and I only had 4 estus left. Summoned a couple of sunbros and we took him down no problem

How do you "stumble" into him? His arena has a fog door in front of it and I've yet to use an actual fog door in this game that wasn't a boss. I new right away what I was looking at and finished exploring (finding a really useful shortcut first) before taking him on.

Also lol at calling any boss a pushover that you summoned two other people for. Coop breaks the difficulty curve of this game hard (even if I think the bosses are on the easy side of things).

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Streaming a little Irithyll PvP if you've the stomach for it

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I loved the Rapier in DS2 and built many characters around it. If I invest titanite shards in levelling it up will it be worth it? Right now im using the broadsword and I really like it but man I love Rapiers.

Broadsword is objectively better for most uses, but a sharp rapier is fun, cool, and effective. I still keep my sharp +6 on hand for use with Leo Ring, and I'm at the third lord of cinder.

Still, I am now rocking a Carthus Shotel for my main. That thing is fast and awesome.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ice Fist posted:

How do you "stumble" into him? His arena has a fog door in front of it and I've yet to use an actual fog door in this game that wasn't a boss. I new right away what I was looking at and finished exploring (finding a really useful shortcut first) before taking him on.

Also lol at calling any boss a pushover that you summoned two other people for. Coop breaks the difficulty curve of this game hard (even if I think the bosses are on the easy side of things).

I mean I found the boss when I wasn't out looking for it.

I summon for every boss, always have. I'm in this for the jolly cooperation!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Begemot posted:

I mean I found the boss when I wasn't out looking for it.

I summon for every boss, always have. I'm in this for the jolly cooperation!

And let me be clear: I have 100% no problem with that. I like cooping too. I just find it funny that you said the boss was a pushover when you summoned two people. That's all.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

So what's the pvp SL meta right now?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Begemot posted:

Welp, I died more times to the crocodile dog at the entrance to Irithyll than to any boss so far. It's hitboxes are insane, some of those attacks hit you no matter what side of it you're standing on. I only beat it by just hitting it in the face a few times and stunning it for a critical attack. Which is a weird mechanic that I'm not sure I fully understand.

Meanwhile, I found the Pontiff to be a complete pushover. I stumbled onto him after exploring for a while and I only had 4 estus left. Summoned a couple of sunbros and we took him down no problem. A good shield seems really essential to that fight, I've upgraded my lothric knight shield a few times and he basically never broke my guard.

you can just run down the bridge to irithyll central and the croc dog can't make it through the forcefield there :shobon: (it took me a while to figure this out too)

Thumbtacks posted:

supposedly 80/100/125

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ice Fist posted:

And let me be clear: I have 100% no problem with that. I like cooping too. I just find it funny that you said the boss was a pushover when you summoned two people. That's all.

I was expecting something more like the Fume Knight from talk in this thread, I guess. That was hard even with phantoms.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Eventually it'll probably settle around 120-125, but right now most people aren't there yet and most of the action is around 70-80.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

Lol you just reminded me of when I first ran into the Crystal Sage. I walked into the area and was like "Oh man wouldn't it be hilarious if this was a boss area? Then again knowing this game maybe i-"
*music kicks in, red bar appears at bottom of screen*
:gonk:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The broadsword is loving mental. I think the R1 attack does a quickhit combo if you actually connect and the two-hand R2 charged swing does like 300+ damage to Vordt unupgraded with just a base Herald class. It's insane. Slow but it hits like a goddamn dump truck.

I was a little disappointed that dual-wielding isn't a big thing this time around, but I like the utility of the weapons so far, nothing has felt "useless" like it did in DS2.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TheQat posted:

you can just run down the bridge to irithyll central and the croc dog can't make it through the forcefield there :shobon: (it took me a while to figure this out too)

While this works, prepare for a fun surprise later on.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Question about PvP and covenants:

Does being hollowed effect PvP and covenants? Because I was minding my own business in Crucifixation Woods and I got invaded by two watchdogs of Farron and I had no help from any bluecops, even though I had the way of blue equipped. It didn't flash or anything indicating it was even trying to summon bluecops. I also didn't think you could get double-invaded unless you popped fingers, which I definitely didn't.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the gatordog is a great enemy and the perfect opener to yharnam on ice

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

codo27 posted:

Someone mentioned before the trigger is entering the catacombs, I can confirm that

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Once you beat the abyss watchers and enter the next area he dies. I of course in my current playthrough triggered this before learning about it or using his services at all. Sigh.

Thanks. That's really weird, I wish they gave a reason for that.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

In case anyone was wondering, if you kill the firekeeper she'll come right back when you leave and return to the shrine. I was popping boss souls in front of her and the confirm y/n box doesn't ignore your attack buttons like other dialog boxes. Clicked yes, big slash, dead. Oooooooops... :ohdear:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The broadsword is loving mental. I think the R1 attack does a quickhit combo if you actually connect and the two-hand R2 charged swing does like 300+ damage to Vordt unupgraded with just a base Herald class. It's insane. Slow but it hits like a goddamn dump truck.

I was a little disappointed that dual-wielding isn't a big thing this time around, but I like the utility of the weapons so far, nothing has felt "useless" like it did in DS2.

The special dual wield weapons are mostly good, at least. Special mention goes to the Drang Hammers and Gotthard Twinswords--they both own incredibly hard.

CJacobs posted:

Thanks. That's really weird, I wish they gave a reason for that.

I'm pretty sure it's just down to the fact that he's on his way to dead when you find him. Pilgrims like him are supposed to die, so he probably wasn't exactly avoiding it. Eventually he just gives out.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Manatee Cannon posted:

the gatordog is a great enemy and the perfect opener to yharnam on ice

Also if you hit his face a handful of times it opens him for a frontstab :ssh:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Is the Irithyll dungeon a mandatory or optional area? I'm trying to decide whether to do that or work through the area proper.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Mandatory

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Is the Irithyll dungeon a mandatory or optional area? I'm trying to decide whether to do that or work through the area proper.

It's part of the main path. You can do either it or the rest of Irithyll first, but eventually you'll have to do both.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Also if you hit his face a handful of times it opens him for a frontstab :ssh:

getting a visceral on him was really cool and cemented the bloodborne connection in my mind

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 360 days!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Say, people are saying that the other Firelink Shrine is one from the past or something, but I don't think that's necessarily the case. Certainly, then, I think it's located in roughly the same spot as the one you use for most of the game; which would mean that big castle you see standing over the cemetary is actually Lothric Castle? It seems possible, you can't walk back that way from either version of the zone.

You should talk to the little lord about it.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What gem should I stick in a Dark Sword? Heavy or Refined?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

It's part of the main path. You can do either it or the rest of Irithyll first, but eventually you'll have to do both.

Okay. I'll probably clear the city first, then.

Also, that picture of Gwynevere? The one that's guarded from off-screen by one of THOSE fuckers? Totally got me. Well done, From.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TRON JEREMY posted:

I accidentally skipped through him talking about it, got a link to a video on it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

What gem should I stick in a Dark Sword? Heavy or Refined?

Depends on your stats. People swear by the Heavy Dark Sword, but if you're not a mostly-Strength build Refined might be a better choice. You can compare their ARs before infusing in the menu at Andre.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Begemot posted:

I was expecting something more like the Fume Knight from talk in this thread, I guess. That was hard even with phantoms.

Literally every boss is a easy if you summon, including fume knight.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 19, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So, while we're talking about the NPC Yoel of Londor. He died for me before I defeated Abyss Watchers, though I had gotten all 5 Dark Sigils from him, and he died not too much longer after that. Yuria showed up at that point, as well.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I don't really 'get' scaling on my weapons. I've got a Saint's Bident that requires 16 Faith, and scales at D. And I've got an Astora Sword. that requires 12 Faith and doesn't scale with Faith at all. They're both reinforced to the same level. Naturally I would guess that infusing them with Lightning, the Bident would get a bigger bonus from Faith...but it goes from Faith D to C while the Astora Sword goes from - to C. Why?

Also, for whatever reason the Bident, which has mediocre Str/Dex and inherent Faith scaling, splits its scaling damage pretty evenly between physical and Lightning damage - +47 and +54 respectively. But the Astora Sword which has slightly better inherent Str/Dex scaling and no Faith scaling, gets almost its entire bonus in Lightning - +8 Physical and +79 Lightning. What determines which damage-type scales how with these kinds of split-damage infusions exactly?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am trying to join the Mound Makers but there's no giant guy with a cage on his back anywhere in this level. I've talked to the weird npc who tells you about it, I haven't even activated the tree boss, so what else do I need to do? Or else, where is this guy hiding?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

TRON JEREMY posted:

Pretty sure I tried this, and I don't recall him saying anything different. The firekeeper was also asking if he had mentioned anything special, but going straight from that to talk to him, he still has the same dialogue. I'm assuming there's supposed to be something there to point you towards the eyes. NPC dialogue triggers seem to be a little screwed up, anyway, considering the way the crestfallen dude had the same line to spout for most of the game, and then eventually disappeared for no reason I could fathom.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

So, while we're talking about the NPC Yoel of Londor. He died for me before I defeated Abyss Watchers, though I had gotten all 5 Dark Sigils from him, and he died not too much longer after that. Yuria showed up at that point, as well.

that's just what happens when you take his offer 5 times. yuria taking his place is the continuation of that side quest chain

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Finster Dexter posted:

Pretty sure he bites it one boss after you finish his questline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, that's normal. There are two ways things can go with him:

1. If you take his deal five times, he dies the next time you come back and Yuria will show up. You can do this right after meeting him if you die enough in between getting his levels.

2. If you take his deal fewer than five times, he dies after you kill Abyss Watchers and Yuria never shows up.