Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Go back to Irithyll proper, you missed some mandatory stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Man i two shot Abyss Watchers. Even deacons was more of a pain than them.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 375 days!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ah ok, that makes perfect sense actually. The dark firelink is the twin prince's kiln of the first flame (why the black knights are there), and the firelink the player uses as a hub is sort of a nexus that's pulled out of time and space, created by Ludleth apparently since he can do soul transposition. The princes won't link the fire, and want it to burn out, so you step in and have to do it for them, kinda like Vendrick. That's why Iudex Gundyr is already stabbed through with the coiled sword at the start of the game and has a dark beast second phase, Ludleth already came and light the fire but needs a champion to gather all the other lords. Meanwhile in the unattended graves Champion Gundyr is still waiting for the first person to arrive, since he arrived late to the party. Since no one linked the flame, the abyss has started to creep in, hence why Yoel's ashes are there, the vendor sells artorias's armor, and you find the firekeeper's eyes there.

Yeah, that all seems to fit. I just wonder if the whole convolution of time and space is because of Ludleth mashing those worlds together so you'd have a fighting chance to undo what he's already seen. He's definitely responsible for it to some extent in DS3; maybe the fading of the fires doesn't actually have anything to do with the worlds of the Lords fading in and out. Maybe that's just him.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

2/2 against that awful rat face thing you face on the bridge to Ithyrill. 0/3 against them in their second location

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Nameless King down. Every bossfight beaten by myself :toot: :toot: :toot:

Thank god there's nothing like Vendrick in this game

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I think, regardless of the specifics, the Untended Graves is explicitly there to give you a visual reference for what will happen should the First Flame finally go out, and what will then become of the world.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is there a way to get back to where you first start? I want to get my revenge on that crystal demon there.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

Infusions are kind of independent of the weapon's base scaling, in some ways. Some weapons have disproportionately good scaling when infused when it doesn't seem like they should going by their normal scaling. (The Astora Greatsword is one of them. It goes from no Faith scaling to loving S Faith scaling if you infuse it with Lightning.) So part of your confusion with the Bident and the Astora Straight Sword is down to that--you gotta compare Lightning version to Lightning version, not normal version to Lightning version, kinda.

There are a surprising number of weapons in DS3 that require Faith but don't scale with it at all. Lothric's Holy Sword is another one, and it's even more confusing with that one, because its weapon art shoots a big beam of white light that looks like it should scale with Faith but doesn't.

Well the first part explains some things at least, thanks. Maybe I should take another look at the Astora Greatsword.

Harrow posted:

How the damage splits is just dependent on how much of each type of damage a weapon has. I'd guess that the Astora Sword's Str/Dex scaling either tanks when you Lightning infuse it, or its base physical damage plummets, because scaling is a percentage of the base damage. It then probably has a bigger chunk of Lightning damage than the Bident, or better scaling. Remember that the letter you see doesn't tell the whole story. If you see a weapon has C scaling, that's actually a range--C isn't just one value.

But neither the Astora Sword nor the Bident lose any scaling numbers-wise - so the former still has D Str/E Dex scaling while the Bident has E Str/E Dex, meaning that doesn't check out since the Bident should still have weaker scaling Physical stats. Both of them have slightly less than half their base damage as Physical and slightly over half as Lightning too.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm sure there's some lore implications to the fact that instead of popping humanity in this game to revert hollowing, you're popping embers to become all firey, and instead of going hollow when dying you have to specifically draw out your dark sign to start turning into jerky. And what exactly does it mean to be 'unkindled'? One of the NPCs (Greirat? I think?) even refers to you specifically as 'some of that unkindled ash.' Is it implying you somehow failed to be burned up at some point in the past? Or is it more like 'not kindled yet'?

They're clearly trying to make a parallel with the original Dark Souls but I can't quite make all the pieces fit together yet.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

DeadlyHalibut posted:

It supposedly takes 30 seconds until help will be summoned, at least somebody said this before in the thread. No idea if it holds true.

30 seconds to a minute in my experience.

Nice thing is, they stick around until all invaders are gone. That being said, there seems to be a cooldown on cop summons, so if you get invaded right after a cop is dismissed, you won't get another.

Orv
May 4, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm sure there's some lore implications to the fact that instead of popping humanity in this game to revert hollowing, you're popping embers to become all firey, and instead of going hollow when dying you have to specifically draw out your dark sign to start turning into jerky. And what exactly does it mean to be 'unkindled'? One of the NPCs (Greirat? I think?) even refers to you specifically as 'some of that unkindled ash.' Is it implying you somehow failed to be burned up at some point in the past? Or is it more like 'not kindled yet'?

They're clearly trying to make a parallel with the original Dark Souls but I can't quite make all the pieces fit together yet.

My assumption is the unkindled are viewed as subhuman (or extrahuman), something not quite natural due to the dying of the Flame, not allowed to die, like the Darksign, meant for some higher purpose most of them refuse to fulfill.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Is there a way to get back to where you first start? I want to get my revenge on that crystal demon there.

Just walk. There's nothing blocking you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TRON JEREMY posted:

Yeah, that all seems to fit. I just wonder if the whole convolution of time and space is because of Ludleth mashing those worlds together so you'd have a fighting chance to undo what he's already seen. He's definitely responsible for it to some extent in DS3; maybe the fading of the fires doesn't actually have anything to do with the worlds of the Lords fading in and out. Maybe that's just him.

What I'm not sure I understand yet about the story:

1. What makes these Lords of Cinder special? Why do they need to return to their thrones? Is it because the others already have and/or they're amalgamated into the Soul of Cinder so they're already there?

2. And what makes this cycle special? We never had to worry about previous Lords of Cinder before--though there was only one in DS1 and maybe DS2 just got straight retconned, I dunno. Or is this cycle special at all? I remember this being billed as the definitive end to the cycle of flame, but is that true if we pick the Link the First Flame ending again?

3. Is "Unkindled" different from "Undead?" Is there something special about being Unkindled compared to just being a normal undead?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I think, regardless of the specifics, the Untended Graves is explicitly there to give you a visual reference for what will happen should the First Flame finally go out, and what will then become of the world.

Well as long as grandma is okay...

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Internet Kraken posted:

When I first saw Ludleth I thought he was a whimpy little impostor trying to sound important. I decided to test this theory on another character by killing him.

Well he sure showed me, in a way :smith:

I don't have it in me to murder him, I like him too much. What happened?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Just walk. There's nothing blocking you.

Ill have to explore again. I thought I hit a dead end. :3:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

But neither the Astora Sword nor the Bident lose any scaling numbers-wise - so the former still has D Str/E Dex scaling while the Bident has E Str/E Dex, meaning that doesn't check out since the Bident should still have weaker scaling Physical stats. Both of them have slightly less than half their base damage as Physical and slightly over half as Lightning too.

That part I don't really know. I'd have to take a look at the numbers--it's one of those things where I'm like "I'm sure there's a rational explanation!" but I have no real idea.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, just walk out of Firelink Shrine the way you came in. You can go back there any time.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

turtlecrunch posted:

Well as long as grandma is okay...

I get a weird "end of time" sense from that character in that place.

Also, is she the same character model as Emma in the Lothric Cathedral?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I don't think it's quite as hopeless as it might appear. Given what the firekeeper says. she sees other, smaller flames in the darkness. The First Fire fades, but that doesn't truly mean the end of everything. Existence goes on, and somewhere out there, people are still going.

Edit: I wonder if DLC will potentially get into what Aldia/the DS2 protag, assuming they got the crowns, have been up to. Technically, there's no reason they wouldn't still be around.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

1. What makes these Lords of Cinder special? Why do they need to return to their thrones? Is it because the others already have and/or they're amalgamated into the Soul of Cinder so they're already there?

2. And what makes this cycle special? We never had to worry about previous Lords of Cinder before--though there was only one in DS1 and maybe DS2 just got straight retconned, I dunno. Or is this cycle special at all? I remember this being billed as the definitive end to the cycle of flame, but is that true if we pick the Link the First Flame ending again?

3. Is "Unkindled" different from "Undead?" Is there something special about being Unkindled compared to just being a normal undead?

I think, barring more specific answers, the gist is that everywhere in the Souls multiverse has its own series of cycles, that never stop, that always refresh themselves (with the blood of idiots). We're seeing the end of this particular universe, the end of its entropy, and so instead of your normal hollows and undeath, we have the Unkindled, the First Flame trying one last desperate attempt to get someone else to kindle it, which is why it matters that people who already have linked it, and absconded, bring that power back.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

This cycle is only significant because it's clearly not the first, or even the second. This whole thing has happened hundreds, maybe thousands of times over. The reason there are so many Lords of Cinder is quite obvious: the flame won't burn with just one any more. What do you do when a fire is dying? You keep piling on fuel. We're at the point where you need FIVE equivalents to Lord Gwyn to satiate the flame; or else, the soul power of people has waned so much in the years that one person just won't do.

Know that we're seeing a world pre-linking the flame, so this chaotic flux of reality is an actual state of the world; where before it may have been ambiguous as to the state of existence outside the borders of the game world, it's clear that DS3's world is really far past its expiration date. The constant rekindlings have only created more fertile ground for deep horrors to infest the land; the Abyss is stronger than ever, there's a new threat in the Deep, there are Angels up on roof tops, reality is falling apart at the seams. The world's more past saving than it ever has been, yet what else can you do?

EDIT: The similarities between the Cinder Lords and the First Lords are also mostly cosmetic, I think; in truth, each Lord is actually an equivalent to a player character from the previous game, particularly a certain boss.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 19, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011

Obligatum VII posted:

Edit: I wonder if DLC will potentially get into what Aldia/the DS2 protag, assuming they got the crowns, have been up to. Technically, there's no reason they wouldn't still be around.

It's somewhat implied that Wolnir is the DS2 PC.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Orv posted:

I think, barring more specific answers, the gist is that everywhere in the Souls multiverse has its own series of cycles, that never stop, that always refresh themselves (with the blood of idiots). We're seeing the end of this particular universe, the end of its entropy, and so instead of your normal hollows and undeath, we have the Unkindled, the First Flame trying one last desperate attempt to get someone else to kindle it, which is why it matters that people who already have linked it, and absconded, bring that power back.

Somehow when you said "multiverse" it all started to make more sense, especially with the "transitory lands of the Lords of Cinder" converging. It never really occurred to me that this is one particular universe, only existing the same multiverse as DS1 and DS2, and that what makes this special is that all of those universes are converging on a single First Flame.

Orv posted:

Wait, what? I severely missed that. Where's that implied? I'm really curious.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

Wait, what? I severely missed that. Where's that implied? I'm really curious.

His various items talk about Wolnir being a lord that stole the crowns of the other lords and conquered "all the lands his warriors knew of."

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Harrow posted:

1 and 2, I assume are parallels to the original, in that you are effectively gathering the Lord Souls and bringing them back to the Lordvessel (which is sitting in the middle of Firelink the whole time) in order to open the way to the Kiln of the First Flame again, so you can once again link the fire/become the dark lord. Maybe the thrones are implying that during some past cycles the souls didn't have to be gathered by force, but instead they all got together amicably and opened the path. But that's pure speculation.

Also, on the subject of that very last area, did anyone else notice that the area you fight not-Gwyn in is the top of a giant tree stump? If you look out from the Flameless shrine, before you warp down to it, you can see it off in the distance. Which reminded me that in DS1 you can see the Great Hollow off in the distance from Firelink Shrine. Makes me wonder if they're implying that the Flameless Shrine/Kiln area takes place in the 'real' Lordran, or whatever is left of it after who knows how many eons have passed and the realms have all pancaked together.

On 3, I have no idea.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Wolnir is nowhere near as stylish as the DS2 PC :colbert:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Obligatum VII posted:

I don't have it in me to murder him, I like him too much. What happened?

He respawns, perfectly fine. However he'll be asleep at first and you can hear him dreaming. He laments his fate as a lord of cinder and the anguish it causes him. Of course when he wakes up he acts like nothing is wrong.

Orv posted:

To me it sounds like Wolnir is what would happen to the DS2 PC minus the SOFTS ending. You gather the crowns together but don't harness their true potential, which is why you don't escape the cycle of the undead.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Caidin posted:

About Aldrich, anyone find him pretty underwhelming? For a guy billed as a freaky god eating cannibal saint he's really just a naga with a corpse tail and over telegraphed attacks.

Dude you are nuts, it took me longer to beat him WITH a phantom than any other boss. gently caress that arrow rain attack.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Okay I'm tired of my one trick pony smash build. Also its so loving slow and every boss is so aggressive. I want to respec to a faith build now that I have enough levels that it won't be rear end. What's some good weapons to make lightning infused and some good weapons to make raw for lightning blade?

It seems like this game has really doubled down on making certain weapons get random rear end scaling bonuses to different elements so its kinda hard to tell without the wiki being functional. So far I'm looking at the Lothric Knight Greatsword, Astora Greatsword for lightning, Astora Straightsword for raw. Open to other weapon types.

Or should I just saw gently caress it and farm two dark swords since they seem to be the best for every goddamn infusion?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orv posted:

His various items talk about Wolnir being a lord that stole the crowns of the other lords and conquered "all the lands his warriors knew of."

I like to think that Wolnir and his dudes were always just skeletons because there just being a skeleton realm that people trade with/get conquered by is hilarious to me. Imagine a legion of bonewheels and bonespheres descending on a kingdom.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

RBA Starblade posted:

Welp, computer's sitting at 40C, which isn't terrible, but 15 higher than before DS3 started running. That's with the gpu at MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE though. I cleaned it out so I can start poking around a bit more, wasn't too dusty.

Of course it's hotter in my apartment now. drat summer. :haw:

Yeah, I don't know what it is about Dark Souls 3 specifically, but I was having a terrible time. CTDs independent of bonfires, 60fps to sub-1fps shenanigans that persisted through reboots and caused hiccups outside the game, other crap. You'd think these issues would rear their heads with Witcher 3, but nope, I guess DS3 is just weird.

It was my CPU fan's heatsink being caked in dust. Whoops! I'll admit that my Ivy Bridge and GTX 660 are getting a bit long in the tooth, but man are they workhorses.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
gamefaqs.com

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

codo27 posted:

You know that there is an area (two actually) you reach by breaking that bridge right

Well yeah, but we were both in the middle. The flames stopped him in his tracks right when the bridge broke.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This cycle is only significant because it's clearly not the first, or even the second. This whole thing has happened hundreds, maybe thousands of times over. The reason there are so many Lords of Cinder is quite obvious: the flame won't burn with just one any more. What do you do when a fire is dying? You keep piling on fuel. We're at the point where you need FIVE equivalents to Lord Gwyn to satiate the flame; or else, the soul power of people has waned so much in the years that one person just won't do.

Know that we're seeing a world pre-linking the flame, so this chaotic flux of reality is an actual state of the world; where before it may have been ambiguous as to the state of existence outside the borders of the game world, it's clear that DS3's world is really far past its expiration date. The constant rekindlings have only created more fertile ground for deep horrors to infest the land; the Abyss is stronger than ever, there's a new threat in the Deep, there are Angels up on roof tops, reality is falling apart at the seams. The world's more past saving than it ever has been, yet what else can you do?

EDIT: The similarities between the Cinder Lords and the First Lords are also mostly cosmetic, I think; in truth, each Lord is actually an equivalent to a player character from the previous game, particularly a certain boss.

I think what I'm curious about is why these Lords of Cinder? If I'm not mistaken, a Lord of Cinder is someone who has already linked the flame in a past cycle, right? And now we need some of them back in order to let an Unkindled link the flame again?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Harrow posted:

1 is a good question. Either they're just the latest five or they have the biggest parts of the DS1 Lord Souls? I understand Aldrich as a candidate more than the others since he has a habit of eating gods, and I guess Ludleth and Prince Lothric from the plot... I guess Yhorm because of whatever he did to gently caress up the first time, so he probably still has a pretty intact/powerful soul? Someone else can try Abyss Watchers, no idea there.

2. I think this cycle is definitely special - I think it's the closest the flame has come to ever going out, and it also seems that the cycles are getting shorter and shorter - 1000 years passed between Gwyn going into the Kiln and the time of DS1, whereas the last few Lords of Cinder have definitely been closer together than that. Also my interpretation of the Link the Fire ending is that it doesn't work - compare the kind of wimpy fire effect, your character's rather baffled reaction, the muted zoom away and the way your attention is drawn to the Darksign sun still being very present. You've maybe given the fire a spark of life, but it's not enough - just embers brought into being by an accursed undead that we've known all along was unfit to be cinder.

3. My impression is that they're former seekers of the First Flame, candidates who tried to Link the Fire and failed.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I think you need these specific lords of cinder because they represent the previous important souls of lords from the other games.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

f#a# posted:

Yeah, I don't know what it is about Dark Souls 3 specifically, but I was having a terrible time. CTDs independent of bonfires, 60fps to sub-1fps shenanigans that persisted through reboots and caused hiccups outside the game, other crap. You'd think these issues would rear their heads with Witcher 3, but nope, I guess DS3 is just weird.

It was my CPU fan's heatsink being caked in dust. Whoops! I'll admit that my Ivy Bridge and GTX 660 are getting a bit long in the tooth, but man are they workhorses.

I was gonna reply to that post about how I'd loving love 40C, but actually probably what's happened is what happened to you.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

To me it sounds like Wolnir is what would happen to the DS2 PC minus the SOFTS ending. You gather the crowns together but don't harness their true potential, which is why you don't escape the cycle of the undead.

From has never shied away from declaring one ending de facto regardless of player choice or community preference/interpretation, so it's entirely possible that that's the case.

Harrow posted:

I think what I'm curious about is why these Lords of Cinder? If I'm not mistaken, a Lord of Cinder is someone who has already linked the flame in a past cycle, right? And now we need some of them back in order to let an Unkindled link the flame again?

They're the ones that are left of these converging lands. The others have presumably been killed in the eons since, as more and more champions slaughter more and more Lords of Cinder. They were the ones that did it the last few times, they hold the power and that's why it's all going wrong, they won't give it up, they're afraid. Also the obvious through line of the Lord Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Sorry if this has already been posted, this thread is too fast for me to keep up with at work (and I'm home I'm playing, natch).

I'm doing a low level (~50), low weapon upgrade (+5-6) Aldrich Faithful PvP dark build, and I need the Sunless talisman as early as possible. I know that the earliest Sirris shows up is after you meet Anri in Road of Sacrifice. If I try to kill them in Firelink and I die, will they be there still so I can try again, or do they leave? Same question for Yuria.