Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

So I just leased a new car, and my insurance went from 588->788/6 months. I'd like to shop around. I live in NJ, since you work East Coast can you quote me on some different plans? I did Essurance's on line thing and got 480/6 months which is nice.

My profile is that I commute to work via bike and train, my wife doesn't work, so we only drive maybe 5-8k miles a year. Wife has no tickets for years, and an not-at-fault accident from 2009. I have one minor violation from 4/4/2013, so it's almost three years old.

What do you suggest I do?

Who are you insured with right now? A lot of that cost is likely from the newer vehicle being more expensive to repair and NJ being expensive in general. You can always hit a broker to find out what the best rate is for you. Esurance I would avoid if you can find someone else comparatively priced. Hit up a broker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jastiger posted:

Who are you insured with right now? A lot of that cost is likely from the newer vehicle being more expensive to repair and NJ being expensive in general. You can always hit a broker to find out what the best rate is for you. Esurance I would avoid if you can find someone else comparatively priced. Hit up a broker

Geico and I have been with them for years. How do I find a broker in my area?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Geico and I have been with them for years. How do I find a broker in my area?

A good way is to just google it :) Google "Insurance Broker" and your town name and you'll find tons. You can also call the 1800 numbers for the major carriers like Metlife, Liberty Mutual, Progressive, etc.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jastiger posted:

A good way is to just google it :) Google "Insurance Broker" and your town name and you'll find tons. You can also call the 1800 numbers for the major carriers like Metlife, Liberty Mutual, Progressive, etc.

Google shows a broker's office one block away. I'll call them.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Google shows a broker's office one block away. I'll call them.

Be a prepared shopper, be sure to let them know all of the information up front, including VIN!

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Well this is interesting. I'm moving from Cali to a much more rural/red state next month, and just for fun I got a quote from GEICO (my present insurer) to get an idea what my new insurance would be.

My 6 month premium dropped from $550 to $299 for the exact same coverage. I knew that insurance varied state by state, but I didn't know just shifting my address would drop it by that much. I guess so few people live out here that the likelihood of hitting another car is insignificant compared to hitting moose, bison, or other large mammals.

E: Looking at the specifics, this actually bears out. My collision dropped by over half, and the liability coverage also dropped substantially. However, comp went up by 15%. How interesting.

sparkmaster fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 4, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sparkmaster posted:

Well this is interesting. I'm moving from Cali to a much more rural/red state next month, and just for fun I got a quote from GEICO (my present insurer) to get an idea what my new insurance would be.

My 6 month premium dropped from $550 to $299 for the exact same coverage. I knew that insurance varied state by state, but I didn't know just shifting my address would drop it by that much. I guess so few people live out here that the likelihood of hitting another car is insignificant compared to hitting moose, bison, or other large mammals.

E: Looking at the specifics, this actually bears out. My collision dropped by over half, and the liability coverage also dropped substantially. However, comp went up by 15%. How interesting.

Which state are you moving to? And from which part of Cali?

You're absolutely right though, location SERIOUSLY matters, as does the state you're moving to due to insurance laws. Some states are just off the charts crazy for insurance while others are relatively mild.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Which state are you moving to? And from which part of Cali?

You're absolutely right though, location SERIOUSLY matters, as does the state you're moving to due to insurance laws. Some states are just off the charts crazy for insurance while others are relatively mild.

My favorite craziness is Michigan lifetime PIP.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Michigan is a shitshow in general. One of my old teammates just inherited a claim from 1979 thats still going. Anyone i know that handles Michigan has a thousand yard stare.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Michigan really does suck. For those that don't know, it's a no fault state, has unlimited personal injury protection limit, and requires $1m in property liability for every car. Combine that with some of the most economical devastated cities in the country and you have a recipe for an insurance nightmare. It's prohibitively expensive to insure a vehicle there for most people, especially near the epicentre of bad insurance risks, Detroit. So you have a catch 22 of really high payouts with fewer insured drivers with all the reason in the world to throw a cost to a company when you DO have a claim.

I don't know why that state is so backwards on its insurance, maybe another goon knows the history there.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

sparkmaster fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 4, 2016

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Is it possible to be an independent agent part time? As in keeping a full-time job, but selling and doing policy work with supplemental income in mind?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I know an agent that works as an accountant and owns a restaurant supposedly full time on all 3. No idea when she sleeps.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Untagged posted:

Is it possible to be an independent agent part time? As in keeping a full-time job, but selling and doing policy work with supplemental income in mind?

You'd be working for an agent most likely, not an agent yourself. Availability and accessibility to clients is important, wouldn't be easy to work only part time.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Untagged posted:

It's possible. I know some folks that maintain a license to write policies for friends or as a side bit of another job. For example one guy was a car salesman and also wrote auto policies for car purchases at the dealership.

But it's not sustainable as a main source of income part time for most people.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I figured this might be a relevant thread for this. How does one find decent dental insurance that actually covers poo poo? I am in the US and finding private insurance that is worth a drat seems impossible.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

cr0y posted:

I figured this might be a relevant thread for this. How does one find decent dental insurance that actually covers poo poo? I am in the US and finding private insurance that is worth a drat seems impossible.

Do you have a dentist you prefer? If so, call them up, ask what insurances they take, then google the companies and shop/compare.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wickerman is right. Just find a dentist and ask who they have and shop that company for dental options. Metlife has pretty good dental too, but I don't know what the costs are.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Jastiger posted:

It's possible. I know some folks that maintain a license to write policies for friends or as a side bit of another job. For example one guy was a car salesman and also wrote auto policies for car purchases at the dealership.

But it's not sustainable as a main source of income part time for most people.

That is purely what it would be, a part time side thing. I'd like to keep my full-time job.

I keep finding myself giving advice about finances and insurance to friends and coworkers because allegedly I've become known as a guy who pays attention to that kind of stuff. The thought crossed my mind about getting my insurance license(s) after a friend of mine got a really bad deal on some policies and was upsold to a bunch of whole-life nonsense. I also have a coworker who does part-time real estate and had mentioned he'd like to have an in-house so to speak or partnered insurance agent for certain customer related policies.

I wouldn't be getting in to it with an eye to make full time money, just supplemental income and/or as an as needed thing. Several of the results Google spits out about part-time agents make it seem like a bad idea. Stuff about maintaining your own EO insurance and licensing fees etc. It also looks like the independent agent policy pools can be expensive.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Untagged posted:

That is purely what it would be, a part time side thing. I'd like to keep my full-time job.

I keep finding myself giving advice about finances and insurance to friends and coworkers because allegedly I've become known as a guy who pays attention to that kind of stuff. The thought crossed my mind about getting my insurance license(s) after a friend of mine got a really bad deal on some policies and was upsold to a bunch of whole-life nonsense. I also have a coworker who does part-time real estate and had mentioned he'd like to have an in-house so to speak or partnered insurance agent for certain customer related policies.

I wouldn't be getting in to it with an eye to make full time money, just supplemental income and/or as an as needed thing. Several of the results Google spits out about part-time agents make it seem like a bad idea. Stuff about maintaining your own EO insurance and licensing fees etc. It also looks like the independent agent policy pools can be expensive.

Yes thats exactly right. My buddy actually worked for an agent part time that was affiliated with I think Allstate. Or maybe Liberty Mutual. Either way, he wasn't the one fronting the money for E&O and licensing fees. That is what you'd have to do though, is maintain all of those yourself. On top of that you need to be appointed with certain carriers in order to offer their products. Often they'll require either a fee to join up, or have minimum business requirements in order to maintain an appointment. So it'll be tough to you to offer a bunch of quotes to people part time if you're not appointed with anyone.

Its totally doable, but your best bet is to do something like find an established agent, sign on under them, and they'll take a cut of everything you sell. Good luck with that though, it can cause them to have additional expenses or guidelines too. Best to find someone you already have a good relationship with.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
My job provides me with a car, and they have insurance on the vehicle. It is a mixed used vehicle, meaning that I use it for both work and personal use. Personal use is counted as income and appears on my taxes or however that works.

My question is this - should I get my own insurance on the vehicle? I'm not sure how this works - my employer didn't say anything about it. I don't know if their insurance would cover medical expenses (I have proper health insurance for what it's worth, but that would still cost me a fortune in a serious accident)... and I am guessing it wouldn't be a work comp claim if it was personal use.

Thoughts?

I have existing coverage through State Farm on a motorcycle, and renters insurance. It would be pretty cheap for me to get additional insurance, assuming this is a good idea, or even possible?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

`Nemesis posted:

My job provides me with a car, and they have insurance on the vehicle. It is a mixed used vehicle, meaning that I use it for both work and personal use. Personal use is counted as income and appears on my taxes or however that works.

My question is this - should I get my own insurance on the vehicle? I'm not sure how this works - my employer didn't say anything about it. I don't know if their insurance would cover medical expenses (I have proper health insurance for what it's worth, but that would still cost me a fortune in a serious accident)... and I am guessing it wouldn't be a work comp claim if it was personal use.

Thoughts?

I have existing coverage through State Farm on a motorcycle, and renters insurance. It would be pretty cheap for me to get additional insurance, assuming this is a good idea, or even possible?

Thats a tough one. I have a hard time believing their company insurance would cover you if you were on a road trip to the Grand Tetons with the family and you got involved in a huge liability issue off the clock. I'm leaning towards getting personal insurance just to be safe. I have known some companies that DO provide insurance for off the clock work, but they are usually companies that own the car already like Car salesmen, or professional use vehicles like vans. Often though, there are clauses where if you take the van like say, out of state, its not going to cover it since that isn't really the scope of many work vehicles.

I'd call your HR department or even your boss and just ask to take a look at the policy, find the company that carries the policy and ask them.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Would this be a good thread to ask about company medical insurance benefits? I didn't notice much talk about it in the opening post.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

How do insurers calculate the replacement cost of a house? I found a few pay services to get a replacement assessment done -- is there anything free that would give me a vague ballpark figure?

My home insurer thinks my replacement cost is 25% more than the purchase price of the property, and I don't live in an exceptionally cheap area. I am suspicious since it allows them to charge me more.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Trillian posted:

How do insurers calculate the replacement cost of a house? I found a few pay services to get a replacement assessment done -- is there anything free that would give me a vague ballpark figure?

My home insurer thinks my replacement cost is 25% more than the purchase price of the property, and I don't live in an exceptionally cheap area. I am suspicious since it allows them to charge me more.

Have you asked your agent? Replacement value is not the same thing as market value though

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Trillian posted:

You have to remember that replacement cost is different than retail cost. Especially if you have multiple stories and a basement. You have to consider rebuilding on a now messed up foundation with additional labor costs.

Every company I've dealt with has used the same cost estimate tool to find the value of a home, Marshall,Swift, and Boecke. It's unlikely you'll be able to reduce the coverage amount with your company. If you have a separate estimate go ahead and tell your agent and company but they will likely not use it.

Sorry friend.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Currently paying $65 a month for insurance through Geico on a 17 year old car with 100k+ miles on it. I am planning on moving out of the US for a few years and my parents would like to keep the car around just in case they need it. Is there a way I can contact Geico to see if they can lower my current premium if the car is only going to be driven a few times a month at most?

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Jastiger posted:

You have to remember that replacement cost is different than retail cost. Especially if you have multiple stories and a basement. You have to consider rebuilding on a now messed up foundation with additional labor costs.

Every company I've dealt with has used the same cost estimate tool to find the value of a home, Marshall,Swift, and Boecke. It's unlikely you'll be able to reduce the coverage amount with your company. If you have a separate estimate go ahead and tell your agent and company but they will likely not use it.

Sorry friend.

It just seems weird to me that the cost of rebuilding would be more considering the empty lot would be worth at least half of the retail value of the house, but then I don't build houses. Thanks, if it is generally a standard value then I am happy.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Busy Bee posted:

Currently paying $65 a month for insurance through Geico on a 17 year old car with 100k+ miles on it. I am planning on moving out of the US for a few years and my parents would like to keep the car around just in case they need it. Is there a way I can contact Geico to see if they can lower my current premium if the car is only going to be driven a few times a month at most?

Well thats pretty danged low to be honest, depending on what state are you in.

As for lowering the premium, you can probably just put it on their insurance with GEICO and that may be cheaper. Otherwise, just see if they offer "Storage" insurance.

Trillian posted:

It just seems weird to me that the cost of rebuilding would be more considering the empty lot would be worth at least half of the retail value of the house, but then I don't build houses. Thanks, if it is generally a standard value then I am happy.

Well when they built the house it was an empty lot. If they are REBUILDING its not really an empty lot now. It has finished structures near it, access issues, a basement to dig out, etc. etc. Not to mention new building codes and materials.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Well thats pretty danged low to be honest, depending on what state are you in.

As for lowering the premium, you can probably just put it on their insurance with GEICO and that may be cheaper. Otherwise, just see if they offer "Storage" insurance.

In addition, your best bet is to make sure you are listed as a driver somewhere. If you aren't, you're going to pay much higher premiums when you get back because you haven't maintained continuous insurance.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Trillian posted:

Figure 20k demo, and $125-200PSF to build.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I am looking into life insurance and know nothing about it. I've just been Googling around, but I want advice from someone who knows about it. My dad recommended Whole Life, but the quote was really expensive.

So it sounds like term is the way to go I guess? That means I would not get any of the money back when the term ends, right? It just ends and that's it, they keep all of the money I gave them if I'm still alive?

20 year term sound right? My youngest kid would be 21 years old by then.

Amount? $750,000? $1,000,000? LifeQuotes.com estimates that (for a 20-year term) it would be about $39/month for me ($32/month for my wife). House + Student debt is about $180,000 right now.

Should my wife and I get separate policies? Or is there some joint policy that makes sense?

• 31 Years Old
  • Married (Wife doesn't work)
  • 2 kids (Ages 3, 1)
  • Pretax income approximately $60,000/year
  • $160,000 Mortgage (about 25 years remaining)
  • $20,000 Student Debt

Sorry for the block of questions. I'm fairly financially illiterate and have been avoiding things like this for awhile, now. Between life insurance, retirement investing, and debts I just want to crawl into a hole and (not) die.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

General guidance is the following formula:
[Total current debt obligations] + [10x-20x Annual Income] - [Current Assets]

With your information this would be in the $750k-$1.2M range. Part of the qualitative decision is what kind of life do you want in the event you are no longer there. (e.g. If only you die, would you prefer for your wife to never need to work? Or is her going back to work in 10 years something your both willing to consider? If you both die how much money does the person who is taking your children need to feel comfortable taking on that obligation?). My wife and I decided we'd rather pay more now so that in the event of the unfortunate we are very comfortable and went with close to 20x our incomes.

Whole life is a ripoff.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Harveygod posted:

I am looking into life insurance and know nothing about it. I've just been Googling around, but I want advice from someone who knows about it. My dad recommended Whole Life, but the quote was really expensive.

So it sounds like term is the way to go I guess? That means I would not get any of the money back when the term ends, right? It just ends and that's it, they keep all of the money I gave them if I'm still alive?

20 year term sound right? My youngest kid would be 21 years old by then.

Amount? $750,000? $1,000,000? LifeQuotes.com estimates that (for a 20-year term) it would be about $39/month for me ($32/month for my wife). House + Student debt is about $180,000 right now.

Should my wife and I get separate policies? Or is there some joint policy that makes sense?

• 31 Years Old
  • Married (Wife doesn't work)
  • 2 kids (Ages 3, 1)
  • Pretax income approximately $60,000/year
  • $160,000 Mortgage (about 25 years remaining)
  • $20,000 Student Debt

Sorry for the block of questions. I'm fairly financially illiterate and have been avoiding things like this for awhile, now. Between life insurance, retirement investing, and debts I just want to crawl into a hole and (not) die.

I'm hesitant to give out specific advice on the forum since that isn't really what a licensed professional should do! BUT we can get some good guidelines here. It sounds like you've done some good research so far and as app mentioned, the big question is "What do I want things to look like if I"m not here". Your wife doesn't work so unless she's got some kind of qualifications collecting dust, its likely she'll have no way to cope with you being gone and raising kids plus paying for a house. 20 years isn't a bad term to pick up at your age, though remember, you'll be further in your career, will have less debts, and of course less working years when you're 51. The whole that your dad is talking about was to cover for that part since you'll need to renew at that time since as you said:

HarveyGod posted:

That means I would not get any of the money back when the term ends, right? It just ends and that's it, they keep all of the money I gave them if I'm still alive?

As for your wife, absolutely get her a separate policy. You may not need as big a face amount since she isn't generating income but rest assured, she is absolutely providing financial value that needs to be accounted for in the event she wasn't there with you anymore. Child care alone would torpedo your finances, let alone dealing with a lost spouse.

I'm not going to reopen the whole vs life can of worms right now, but I'd say hit up a local insurance professional and ask the questions you've asked here with a focus on the "what if". Worry about the dollars and cents when he/she gives you the premiums to pay, focus on what you actually want covered and how you want finances to look like if one of you passes and work backwards from there.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Thanks for the responses. That's all about what I expected. I just wanted to make sure there weren't any "Hey, never do this..." things about life insurance.

Off to run some numbers!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Harveygod posted:

Thanks for the responses. That's all about what I expected. I just wanted to make sure there weren't any "Hey, never do this..." things about life insurance.

Off to run some numbers!
Its whole life. Never do it.

(Count down to agents jumping me in 3..2..1..)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I was just in an accident. She has state farm i have geico. My car is currently being towed and probably totaled but i dont know who decides that or what I do. She was at fault 100% for sure and there was a witness. What do I do now?

I'm home thanks to an officer, late for work, and have no idea how this process works or when/how i get a functioning vehicle.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 16, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Call your insurance company and report the accident. Assuming you have the coverage, they can get your car towed to a shop or salvage yard if it's totaled and get you into a rental.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Bovril Delight posted:

Call your insurance company and report the accident. Assuming you have the coverage, they can get your car towed to a shop or salvage yard if it's totaled and get you into a rental.

I did call my insurance to report. I got it towed to wherever the guy the cops called took it because I had no idea. I have coverage for others but not to fix mine, I've gotta get her insurance company to pay for all this.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well I'd call THEIR insurance company as well. You did exchange information, yes?

Go ahead and call yours as well. Her claims department will be in touch with you to figure out the best way to go forward. If you did NOT exchange information, but you know her name and she has GEICO I'd go ahead and call the 1800 number for GEICO to report the incident as well. Also get a copy of the police report so you have proof of what went down. After that, its just a matter of waiting for them to get in touch with you to compensate you for the damages. If they are slow going your own company may be able to provide help that they can later be reimbursed for from her company.

Glad you're ok :(