Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

wolrah posted:

The HTPC thread will be a better place to ask this sort of thing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2386006

As a quick answer though, if you want full functionality including being able to record DRM-flagged content I'm 99% sure WMC is still the only option. HDHomerun's kickstarted DVR project is supposed to at some point, but as far as I'm aware it doesn't yet.

Ixian posted:

This is correct. It's not specific to Cablevision, it's any provider that flags channels as copy-once (or copy-never). To make matters more interesting, individual franchises often do this on an ad-hoc basis - there's rarely a "corporate" policy (Cablevision being one of the exceptions I believe). For example some Comcast franchises flag channels, some don't. The only consistent among them is they all flag the premium channels like HBO.

And yes, outside a cable box or a Tivo WMC is the only option for copy-protected channels and CableCard. SiliconDust is indeed working on a solution...but it isn't going too well if you read their forums, and the EPG they have to use (or lack of one) due to patent "problems" has a large number of users up in arms. It won't seamlessly integrate with Kodi if that is what you are thinking. That is likely to never happen, at least with the current state of pay tv in the US.

Thanks for the answers. Sounds like it's not looking good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I got a letter in the mail about me using more power than the average for my neighborhood. I run my Kodi stuff from my old desktop, which has 5 fans running, and I don't have sleep. I've been thinking of trying to do a NAS setup with a Raspberry Pi doing some of the other work. Basically use the Pi for the SQL server so I can leave that running the whole time with no power usage. Maybe try to get Sickbeard running on that too to manage the NAS. I was also thinking of buying a Drobo for storage, but that's like a grand after all the drives are put in.

Has anyone done something similar? Any recommendations?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IUG posted:

So I got a letter in the mail about me using more power than the average for my neighborhood. I run my Kodi stuff from my old desktop, which has 5 fans running, and I don't have sleep. I've been thinking of trying to do a NAS setup with a Raspberry Pi doing some of the other work. Basically use the Pi for the SQL server so I can leave that running the whole time with no power usage. Maybe try to get Sickbeard running on that too to manage the NAS. I was also thinking of buying a Drobo for storage, but that's like a grand after all the drives are put in.

I doubt it's your PC. According to my Kill-A-Watt, my server with 20-something hard drives in it costs me like 5 dollars per month to run 24/7 (I don't recall what the actuall power usage is as it's been awhile since I measured). For some reason, people talk about computers like they use a lot of power. It would certainly be quite surprising if a computer or two caused your power usage to be so out of whack that you're getting letters about it.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, something's weird. I have a server running 24/7 with 11 hard drives in it and my power bills are nearly half of what friends and family in my city are paying.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
You definitely need to check other things in your house.

My server has a i3-4330 with 4 hardrives and it averages 55 watts idle which costs me around $4 per month.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

IUG posted:

Someone is running a grow-op in your house, or the meter is reporting wildly wrong numbers. With modern hardware you'd have to be running an insane amount of devices to prompt a letter like that.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'll have to look into the power usage of stuff then (I do have a Killawatt that I haven't used, so I'll have to see what the damage it's doing then).

However, the computer is 8 years old and has only 1TB drives in it. I'm due for a hardware upgrade anyways. So I guess my question still stands on should I do a Pi for SQL, Sickbeard, etc, and also get a NAS?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Out of curiosity, what's your average kWh use?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm not even really sure where to begin and I dont see an explicit thread dedicated to it so I guess this is closest. Before I get into a big description, is this the thread to ask about android TV boxes?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

codo27 posted:

I'm not even really sure where to begin and I dont see an explicit thread dedicated to it so I guess this is closest. Before I get into a big description, is this the thread to ask about android TV boxes?

There's a Fire TV thread and a Nexus Player thread (which is kind of a catchall for other Android TV boxes like the Shield)

People also use this one and the cutting cable thread.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I had a look at the XBMC thread and saw the Wetek Core is highly regarded. I'm just looking to get my feet wet in this whole thing and maybe get one for my parents as I personally dont consume a whole lot of video. I see a lot on amazon ranging from $50-90 Canadian, many with a pile of positive reviews. What do I need to look out for here? Any other recommendations or things to avoid?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

IUG posted:

Probably you got caught up in some green initiative, the top 2% users in each neighborhood probably all got letters, it sounds like it's working.

Your top power consumers are going to be A/C, Heat, Washer/Dryer, Hot Water Heater, Fridge, Stove/Oven

Your PC probably ranks somewhere between your wife's hair dryer and your surround sound system. Modern PCs (2012- and newer) sip like, 80w. That's like, turning off one lamp in your house.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, I'll look into my power usage too. I'm sure it's them pushing some kind of green services onto you. Eversource is a really lovely company.

HOWEVER

I was wondering if anyone tried to setup a Pi as a SQL server, and used a NAS for the storage. It's probably cheaper energy-wise, and hopefully even the 10/100 port on the Pi is fast enough for the SQL server to run for Kodi across the house.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

If you are doing that why not just run Emby on the NAS and skip the RPI? Its not like the Pi can transcode much anyways.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've not used Emby before, but I just looked at it (some YouTube video). It looks like I have to run an Emby server, which I don't see on Drobo. I see it's on FreeNAS and Synology, but I'm not familiar with those NASs. I don't need to transcode either, this is strictly in my local network.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

IUG posted:

I've not used Emby before, but I just looked at it (some YouTube video). It looks like I have to run an Emby server, which I don't see on Drobo. I see it's on FreeNAS and Synology, but I'm not familiar with those NASs. I don't need to transcode either, this is strictly in my local network.

I don't see any support for Drobo, but from reading the NAS thread in shsc its highly suggested to get a synology over Drobo anyways, so.

The nice thing is if you don't need transcoding you can just run emby on the NAS and I would imagine it should work fine.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

IUG posted:

Everything I've read here and on the Packrats thread is to not buy a Drobo. Just don't do it, and instead buy a Synology, QNAP or build a FreeNAS box.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Friends don't let friends use Drobos.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Not to pile on, but I wanted to add some more info:

Don't by Drobos because they're overpriced for inferior functionality and they use proprietary poo poo thats going to make it difficult to recover data. Get a Synology.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
How do I get shows to list in the main TV Shows menu when Kodi doesn't recognize them? I'm having a problem with Horace & Pete, specifically. For some reason it's only listing the 1st episode of the season for me even though I've got the other 9 in the same directory with the same naming structure and have updated the library a few times since putting them there.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Y'all, I'm not gonna have time/energy to make a new OP. Looking through it barely any of it is useful anymore, and with stuff like SPMC and new Android TV boxes it's desperately in need of an update. If anyone wants to do that work I'll update the OP, otherwise it might be time for a new thread?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Gunslinger posted:

Also is there a way to get Netflix out of the Shield Hub and into the lower part?

The app selection for Android TV covers the basics but needs more work too.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/907012/is-it-possible-to-move-around-apps-on-the-home-screen-like-netflix-/#4768899

Essentially you remove the Shield Hub, then uninstall Netflix updates, restart, then reinstall them. After that the Netflix app should appear in the same section as your other video apps.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Not to pile on, but I wanted to add some more info:

Don't by Drobos because they're overpriced for inferior functionality and they use proprietary poo poo thats going to make it difficult to recover data. Get a Synology.

I think I'm going to lean towards this, since everyone else has also mentioned Synology as well. Plus, it can run the SQL server too according to their site. I might have to look into what Emby can do besides transcoding, maybe it can pick up what Sickbeard and CouchPotato do, and I won't need a Pi at all.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

IUG posted:

I think I'm going to lean towards this, since everyone else has also mentioned Synology as well. Plus, it can run the SQL server too according to their site. I might have to look into what Emby can do besides transcoding, maybe it can pick up what Sickbeard and CouchPotato do, and I won't need a Pi at all.

Just bear in mind that trans-coding requires CPU power and the processor in many of these NAS's won't cope with high bitrate or multiple simultaneous transcodes.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah I don't want to bother with transcoding. I just would be using Emby if it can take downloads and sort them into folder structures and file names I like. That's entirely why I use Sickbeard. I just use Kodi to play the files, and I only download 720 files to keep the stress low on the network, and the file sizes down.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

IUG posted:

Yeah I don't want to bother with transcoding. I just would be using Emby if it can take downloads and sort them into folder structures and file names I like. That's entirely why I use Sickbeard. I just use Kodi to play the files, and I only download 720 files to keep the stress low on the network, and the file sizes down.

Emby isn't really a replacement for sickbeard. It's a centralized library/server that sickbeard/sonarr/whatever can feed files in to. It saves you from having to set up libraries and dealing with fileshares on each device you stream to, you just point Kodi with the add-on or an Emby app at the server and it goes. It only transcodes if the device can't handle what you're feeding it or the network is real bad, but I believe you can turn it off entirely.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

IUG posted:

Emby doesn't replace Sickbeard or CP but it can compliment them.

In one respect it acts like Kodi's MySQL implementation on steroids. If you want to use it in direct mode with Kodi (that is, let the Kodi client handle media decoding duties) then it's basically a nice centralized metadata manager for your media with a kickass web interface and dead-simple API integration for apps like Sickbeard to allow it to be automatically updated by them.

It can do a lot more than that - the transcoding side is really useful for "thin" clients on low power devices (or devices with limited codec support). You can enable transcoding to the Kodi addon even, if you want (for example, if you are running on a Pi or something you can set a threshold where the Emby server starts transcoding before streaming if it is a file the Pi would struggle with). And lots more.

As a starting point though, if all you are looking for is central media library management with sync'd watched statuses, etc, like the MySQL method for Kodi, then it's a decent upgrade from that. You can always start letting it do more, work with its own native clients on mobile devices, etc. as you use it and get more familiar with it.

On the other side, if you are already familiar with running MySQL/MariaDB for Kodi and just want to keep things super simple and manage everything from the Kodi client there's nothing wrong with that either. Emby is free (there are extra features that have pay options, but none of them are relevant to Kodi integration) so no harm in trying.

I am not affiliated or compensated by the Emby project, btw. Just a fan.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Bought a Wetek Core. Seems to work fairly well. I put Eminence 2.0 on and it's extremely cool and nice. It definitely crashes less than Kodi on the Fire TV. I haven't bothered looking up the CPU specs on either but the Emby plugin seems to run its startup updates almost immediately and not crash so much if you try to browse the library at the same time. Seems moderately faster than the Fire at everything.

The Android stuff seems to work fine. I kinda thought there'd be more Google TV apps that would work with a regular remote. It comes with a ripped YouTube TV app and you can find a Netflix TV app on their forum that both work 100% with regular remote buttons. But for anything else, you have to use the airmouse feature of the included remote and use the cursor like a finger, which is a little fiddly but works OK. Like Google Music, thought there'd be a remote-friendly version of that but I'm just using the one from the Play store and the remote can't even pause and play without turning on airmouse. It still works fine otherwise.

Bought it for 24p and general Kodi quality of life. Kodi seems to work perfectly with its own auto-24p settings. I'm on a new beta firmware with kernel-level refresh-rate switching and some TV stuff on Netflix looks terrible with that turned on. It goes through weird frame drops for 10 seconds or so at a time and then seems to play fine for a minute or two. I think Netflix movies play fine in 24p. You can still disable 24p at-will per app. The hosed up Netflix refresh rates are a problem on Netflix's end, according to Wetek devs. Also no surround sound in Android Netflix, but it does do 1080p.

I'll probably just use the Fire for Netflix though, because I haven't noticed a huge difference with 24p in Kodi or Netflix. Might be my TV's 24p mode. It's just a 60hz LG that drops into 48hz for 2:2 pull-down. No interpolation features.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

el_caballo posted:

Bought a Wetek Core. Seems to work fairly well. I put Eminence 2.0 on and it's extremely cool and nice. It definitely crashes less than Kodi on the Fire TV. I haven't bothered looking up the CPU specs on either but the Emby plugin seems to run its startup updates almost immediately and not crash so much if you try to browse the library at the same time. Seems moderately faster than the Fire at everything.

The Android stuff seems to work fine. I kinda thought there'd be more Google TV apps that would work with a regular remote. It comes with a ripped YouTube TV app and you can find a Netflix TV app on their forum that both work 100% with regular remote buttons. But for anything else, you have to use the airmouse feature of the included remote and use the cursor like a finger, which is a little fiddly but works OK. Like Google Music, thought there'd be a remote-friendly version of that but I'm just using the one from the Play store and the remote can't even pause and play without turning on airmouse. It still works fine otherwise.

Bought it for 24p and general Kodi quality of life. Kodi seems to work perfectly with its own auto-24p settings. I'm on a new beta firmware with kernel-level refresh-rate switching and some TV stuff on Netflix looks terrible with that turned on. It goes through weird frame drops for 10 seconds or so at a time and then seems to play fine for a minute or two. I think Netflix movies play fine in 24p. You can still disable 24p at-will per app. The hosed up Netflix refresh rates are a problem on Netflix's end, according to Wetek devs. Also no surround sound in Android Netflix, but it does do 1080p.

I'll probably just use the Fire for Netflix though, because I haven't noticed a huge difference with 24p in Kodi or Netflix. Might be my TV's 24p mode. It's just a 60hz LG that drops into 48hz for 2:2 pull-down. No interpolation features.

It uses the same AMLogic/Mali combo as other Android boxes. The Wetek is just known for better support and updates.

It doesn't use the Android TV Launcher or officially support leanback which is why you aren't finding any apps that are remote friendly (outside of a few hacked ones, etc.). Apparently there is some way to dick around and psuedo-enable this, or sideload your own apks from Android TV boxes, etc, which sounds like a complete pain in the rear end to me but YMMV.

The current king, beating out even the Nexus box, is the Shield TV. It is expensive (though not that expensive) and you get what you pay for. If you want an Android TV box that runs Kodi well along with official Android TV support and a nice remote that's the one to get. It also supports HDCP 2.2 meaning you get 4k apps like Netflix with HDR, etc. The Wetek Core doesn't support HDCP 2.2 nor does it have 10 bit HEVC support for that matter. The Shield also runs the latest Marshmallow and supports the new internal storage features.

With that said, for a cheap box that does 1080p video and runs Kodi well the Wetek is a solid choice.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Why the gently caress has the Cast button on movie/show/episode info been replaced with some "Set my rating" poo poo no one cares about on Jarvis version Aeon Nox? This is LITERALLY worse than Hitler

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
gently caress me. I was up at some ungodly hour so I fixed my Shield TV like I mentioned a few posts above: essentially moving the installed apps from the 64gb SD card back to the internal storage. After that I configured SPMC: setup libraries, scanned all my media, installed Eminence 2.0, created all my shortcuts, and made sure everything was working.

When I get home today, the Shield says there's a new update. I install it, the system reboots, and now SPMC is basically blank again. Default theme, no libraries, etc. I guess maybe I hadn't rebooted after moving the storage back to the internal memory or something? I don't know.

I guess tomorrow I'll remove the SD card entirely and try restoring the Shield to default, then set everything back up again.

:(

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

EC posted:

gently caress me. I was up at some ungodly hour so I fixed my Shield TV like I mentioned a few posts above: essentially moving the installed apps from the 64gb SD card back to the internal storage. After that I configured SPMC: setup libraries, scanned all my media, installed Eminence 2.0, created all my shortcuts, and made sure everything was working.

When I get home today, the Shield says there's a new update. I install it, the system reboots, and now SPMC is basically blank again. Default theme, no libraries, etc. I guess maybe I hadn't rebooted after moving the storage back to the internal memory or something? I don't know.

I guess tomorrow I'll remove the SD card entirely and try restoring the Shield to default, then set everything back up again.

:(

Kodi backup addon is updated for Jarvis: http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Backup

It'll back up your config, addons, etc. Can even back up to Dropbox.

Some skins, like Titan, also have a backup function specifically for their settings which I find fantastically useful, especially if I am setting up a new device. I don't know if Eminence 2.0 has this but check.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It does, I should have backed all that up when I got that finished but I forgot. :(

Edit: christ, it wouldn't even work after a reinstall, it still thought it was attached to the external SD card for some reason.

EC fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 22, 2016

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
So is it best to avoid this new unified storage feature on the Shield TV for the moment? And is an SD card preferable over a USB 3 thumb drive, even besides just being tidier?

^^Perhaps a bit device specific for this thread, though I've ordered mine predominantly for kodi.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

MeKeV posted:

So is it best to avoid this new unified storage feature on the Shield TV for the moment? And is an SD card preferable over a USB 3 thumb drive, even besides just being tidier?

^^Perhaps a bit device specific for this thread, though I've ordered mine predominantly for kodi.

I haven't fully tested it, but it seems like with the 3.1 update you're better off installing apps to the internal storage and using the SD card for just data files (I'll be using mine for ROMS, mostly). I haven't messed around with USB 3.0 at all.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Strange, ive not had any issues with 3.1 on my shield. When you do the switch to internal it does say it can take up to an hour running behind the scenes. Did you update to 3.1 shortly after? Stupid if it does screw it up.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Bigsteve posted:

Strange, ive not had any issues with 3.1 on my shield. When you do the switch to internal it does say it can take up to an hour running behind the scenes. Did you update to 3.1 shortly after? Stupid if it does screw it up.

Yeah, it went like this:

- Installed 3.0
- Adopted my 64gb card
- Shield took awhile to move everything over
- I start having issues with Kodi
- I move the storage back to the 16gb
- I install SPMC, get everything done
- Get the prompt for 3.1, install that
- After reboot, SPMC still seems to be looking for the 64gb card
- I have the Shield "forget" the card
- I remove the card, uninstall SPMC, reinstall
- Everything works now

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

EC posted:

Yeah, it went like this:

- Installed 3.0
- Adopted my 64gb card
- Shield took awhile to move everything over
- I start having issues with Kodi
- I move the storage back to the 16gb
- I install SPMC, get everything done
- Get the prompt for 3.1, install that
- After reboot, SPMC still seems to be looking for the 64gb card
- I have the Shield "forget" the card
- I remove the card, uninstall SPMC, reinstall
- Everything works now

You might have just hit the magic combo. Dark magic. One item 3.1 does have fixes for, after all, is internal storage. It's possible you ran in to a bug during your moves.

What "issues" were you having with Kodi? Might be helpful to know in order to avoid them in the future. I always grab logs when Kodi does weird stuff. Or SPMC in this case since I prefer it on Android TV.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I'm running Kodi on a RasPi2 using openELEC, which is streaming movies and TV shows from a samba share to my TV.

I have a few movie files that I would like to keep hidden from the Confluence menu system during everyday browsing, like if I have a family member round. Then I'd like to access these with a couple of presses on the remote to view the hidden files. At the moment I'm just logging in to the samba server and moving the directory when I want them to disappear from Kodi but I'm wondering if there's a more elegant solution. I'm not bothered about putting a password on the directory: just something that hides them from normal browsing. Any ideas.

Yes. They are movies of a rather obvious nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

DeaconBlues posted:

I'm running Kodi on a RasPi2 using openELEC, which is streaming movies and TV shows from a samba share to my TV.

I have a few movie files that I would like to keep hidden from the Confluence menu system during everyday browsing, like if I have a family member round. Then I'd like to access these with a couple of presses on the remote to view the hidden files. At the moment I'm just logging in to the samba server and moving the directory when I want them to disappear from Kodi but I'm wondering if there's a more elegant solution. I'm not bothered about putting a password on the directory: just something that hides them from normal browsing. Any ideas.

Yes. They are movies of a rather obvious nature.

Don't scrape them and access them through file list?