Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Attack at range with magic like a smarty.

Nah, there's a better way.

Get between their feet. There's literally fuckall they can do to you there except an occasional extremely telegraphed stomp attack that a blind person could dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

They're pretty easy when you get down by their feet. Just get in there, try to stay behind them, and smack 'em on the ankles. When they stomp roll at the last second and you'll avoid the shockwave.

Use a charcoal resin too, the slimes are super weak to it and it will keep you from getting surrounded.

e: I like how the rubbish descriptions have gone from "why carry this" to "you need help"

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Stay behind their feet and they fall easy. kite them to the clear water in the center and trap them with the gates to make it even easier as you'll be no longer slowed down and don't have to dodge roll but can just casually walk around while stabbing them slowly to death.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Orv posted:

Follow Sirris' quest line. You might be able to kill him when you join Mound Makers but I kind of doubt he'd drop it.

Can anyone confirm if he drops it if you murder him in the Pit of Hollows?

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
This game is pushing all the buttons for me that 2 just didnt for some reason :sun:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Can anyone confirm if he drops it if you murder him in the Pit of Hollows?

Wiki chatter says no, sorry.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Speaking of giants, is there a reason why the Storm Ruler doesn't do its crazy damage when used against regular giants? I get that it's a gimmick weapon for a specific boss, but the description makes it sound like it should kill the regular giants just as well.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
If you hold R2, or whatever weird button you're using for heavy attack, you can hold the swing back for a second to hit at least 50% harder. Does more poise damage, too - my big spiky mace staggers guys on a normal R2, lays them down on a charged-up one. Can bait out rolls against other human. Appears to work with every weapon.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 19, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Orv posted:

gently caress, I don't wanna follow Sirris stupid quest all the way to Aldrich just for a chance to see if I even like the helmet.

Fashion souls is hard! :saddowns:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Attack at range with magic like a smarty.

Nerd.

Yep, brute force solved it.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Orv posted:

Do you get anything for killing him? He's a huge pain on my pyromancer when I tried. He's actually pretty good at dodging and the greatsword super armor always messes with me.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The DLC is going to introduce a fifth ending where you and Hawkeye Gough pilot the Millennium Falcon through the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Speaking of giants, is there a reason why the Storm Ruler doesn't do its crazy damage when used against regular giants? I get that it's a gimmick weapon for a specific boss, but the description makes it sound like it should kill the regular giants just as well.

I guess Yhorm is a different kind of giant from DS1 giants, but he also has a face so he's not a DS2 giant either...?

e: tbh he could be a DS2 giant just with a slightly revised face area - the Storm Ruler references felling Greatwoods, and DS2 giants are the ones with a propensity to turn into trees. So it works on multiple levels and crap.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 19, 2016

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
For anyone that's interested:

Dark Souls Board Game is live on Kickstarter as of 1min ago.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Man, I got to the icy castle and suddenly everything's damage blew up. They still die reasonably fast but one sword swing from those knights does more than Wolnir's attacks.

I feel like there's so many paths in this game. I went down into the sewer thinking it was a dead end because there was multiple other paths to take. Then it... kept going. Great stuff.

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 19, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Stokes posted:

I have absolutely no idea what I did wrong but Patches wasn't in the Cathedral, yes I know he's dressed as Onionbro, no I didn't kill the boss at Farron's Keep. Every single door is open to the Cathedral but he's nowhere to be found.

Did you meet our dear friend in the Firelink Shrine tower? If so, I think that prevents the rendezvous you're looking for. It happened to me, too.

Don't worry; you can still get what you need. Once you've escaped his trap at the Firelink Shrine tower, you can go speak to him in the shrine's upper level. Just don't go outside like you would to climb the tower. Stay inside and go to the dead end. He should be there. Don't forgive him and he'll give you some things. If you've already met Siegward in the well, Patches will sell you Siegward's armor. Buy it (helm, chest, legs, hands) and return it to Siegward to save him. The only thing you really missed out on was being trapped by Patches with one of the Cathedral giants, as far as I know. Gun for that path on NG+!

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
I have Dark Souls 3. I finished Dark Souls 2 (sans DLC) but I also haven't played through SotFS. I did play the intro of Dark Souls 3 but I really feel like I should do Dark Souls 2's DLC content before jumping in. So that brings me to a dilemma that goons can help with because I'm a huge baby that cannot decide for himself.

Should I just drop SotFS and just play Dark Souls 3 and come back to SotFS later? I only just killed the Lost Sinner and got through Huntsman's Copse.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Rolling is such an end-all move in PvP that I decided to kill a guy just by rolling into, grazing him with my thorny armour.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Merauder posted:

YOU DIED

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If anyone's playing a Sorcerer and wants to see a kinda low-quality PvP video from someone who seems to have a lot of fun playing Sorcerer in DS3, here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOkLmUqaQs8

He even uses Soul Greatsword well! And look at the damage he's getting out of the Flashsword!

NT Plus posted:

I have Dark Souls 3. I finished Dark Souls 2 (sans DLC) but I also haven't played through SotFS. I did play the intro of Dark Souls 3 but I really feel like I should do Dark Souls 2's DLC content before jumping in. So that brings me to a dilemma that goons can help with because I'm a huge baby that cannot decide for himself.

Should I just drop SotFS and just play Dark Souls 3 and come back to SotFS later? I only just killed the Lost Sinner and got through Huntsman's Copse.

DS2's DLC is good, but none of that is strictly necessary for playing DS3. If DS3 is the game you actually want to play right now, go play that; if SotFS is, then go play that.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
106 bucks plus shipping? That's pretty steep.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you want pyromancy to supplement a physical build in this game, it's decent, but not as good as say DS2 where I could put points only in attunement and have access to lots of different spells and use all of them for some nice extra damage.

I still used great chaos fire orb in DS3, but due to how it scales from magic stats, and the way the magic bar worked it meant that there wasn't much point in trying to use a variety. I think a pure pyromancy build could be a lot more fun and I might do that in the future.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

CDW posted:

106 bucks plus shipping? That's pretty steep.

It's pretty common pricing from this style of game (one with lots of plastic minis, tons of dice, tokens, etc.)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Merauder posted:

Someone said "Dark Souls Board Game" and I thought Alright, sure, let's see it.

I am not interested in what appears to be literally just Dark Souls 3 The Board Game With Cards.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Harrow posted:

DS2's DLC is good, but none of that is strictly necessary for playing DS3. If DS3 is the game you actually want to play right now, go play that; if SotFS is, then go play that.

Yeah I may wind up doing both and using the speedrun stick (Rapier) and bows for Souls 2 and doing Sorcery build for Souls 3. I haven't gone full melee (except kind of for Bloodborne) since Demon's Souls; which somewhat punished players lacking a ranged option.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Merauder posted:

Where's sorcerer? :mad:

Oh I see, it's the highest tier unlock, aka the one they are least interested in creating... :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NT Plus posted:

Yeah I may wind up doing both and using the speedrun stick (Rapier) and bows for Souls 2 and doing Sorcery build for Souls 3. I haven't gone full melee (except kind of for Bloodborne) since Demon's Souls; which somewhat punished players lacking a ranged option.

Sorcery has an extremely slow start in DS3, so just know that going in. And be prepared to level Intelligence to 60 to get full scaling, not 40.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Harrow posted:

Sorcery has an extremely slow start in DS3, so just know that going in. And be prepared to level Intelligence to 60 to get full scaling, not 40.

I heard that earlier! So FROM is actually rewarding full-time mages this time around? :getin:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

This explains a lot about my low damage output.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NT Plus posted:

I heard that earlier! So FROM is actually rewarding full-time mages this time around? :getin:

Less "rewarding full-time mages" as "demanding that you be a full-time mage to be a mage at all" but yeah :v:

It helps that infused weapons are pretty decent, so you can have a melee option to fall back on.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 19, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011

NT Plus posted:

No they're punishing full-time mages and rewarding respeccing to it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Where exactly is the hat skeleton hiding my Bone Shard? I can't find him and I've totally combed the place

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This explains a lot about my low damage output.

Yeah, magic scales like Bloodborne magic (which I'm inordinately proud of myself for guessing after the JP release when everyone assumed it was broken).

The Spell Buff stat on catalysts/talismans/the pyro flame breaks the normal scaling rules. Weapon scaling soft-caps at 40, but Spell Buff scaling soft-caps at 60 (including the Pyromancy Flame, but that uses the sum of your Intelligence and Faith, so 30/30 is a good stopping place). That means that if you want your spells to be your main source of damage, you gotta invest heavily in your spell scaling stats. Being a hybrid isn't really an option this time, at least not without also being a glass cannon (or, y'know, just going to SL 200 or something).

You also need to stack up damage-boosting rings. Each magic type has three: two rings that boost that magic type specifically, and one Clutch ring that boosts its damage type. Sorcery has the Crown of Dusk, too, for another boost.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Do you think the other lords look down on Lothric and the Abyss Watchers for co-opting their way to victory?

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 19, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Man i two shot Abyss Watchers. Even deacons was more of a pain than them.

deacons are far and away the easiest boss.

Orv
May 4, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

Where exactly is the hat skeleton hiding my Bone Shard? I can't find him and I've totally combed the place

When you murder the hat skeleton the next time the ball hits a wall it explodes and drops it, so check either end.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I just reached the first boss of Anor Londo. How much more of the game do I have left? Like 33%?

Help Im Alive posted:

I keep hearing that pyro in this game is either way overpowered or complete garbage

Probably due to this:

Harrow posted:

On the contrary, pyromancy is easily the strongest type of magic this time and just melts poo poo all day long. It's just that you gotta level Int/Faith and wear the pyromancy-boosting rings to get the most out of it.

The starter Fireball spell is terrible in the long run but pyromancy picks up pretty quickly as soon as you get Fire Orb. As soon as you hit Catacombs of Carthus the pyro train jumps the tracks and everything just goes bonkers.

In previous Dark Souls pyros started hilariously over-powered and mellowed over time. To me the highlight of pyromancy was when fighting Smough you can glitch the A.I. by having him just run forward to a pillar and just simply throw fire orbs at him.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I'm still willing to throw down that Yhorm is the same species of giant as those in DS2 :colbert:

I'm also willing to throw down that their skulls are mostly vestigial, and in most cases are just kinda grown over by armor skin

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Dancer really does have a tremendous rear end. Is she wearing yoga pants under her armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Orv posted:

When you murder the hat skeleton the next time the ball hits a wall it explodes and drops it, so check either end.

Thanks, got it :toot:

I also just found the sunbros, what an obscure and easily missable spot to put the best covenant in the game.