Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Who gives a poo poo, designated parking is just marketing and has nothing to do with safety or making the world better. Some market analyst decided that partitioning off front row parking would earn them a couple extra customers so they put up a sign and collected a performance bonus for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Why would you want to park next to someone who has a much higher than normal likelihood of one of the vehicle's occupants smashing their door open into your bodywork?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Who's bringing a car full of kids to the grocery store at 3AM?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PCOS Bill posted:

After a while, you stop even thinking questions like that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

PCOS Bill posted:

So you agree I'm not hurting anyone or in anyone's way. Got it.

Neither are people who hog the left lane when no one's behind them (at the moment), run stop signs when there's no one coming the other way, and go the wrong way down one way streets when no one's coming.

I agree, but you're also still being a knob. On that note I'm going to stop wasting my time on your idiocy...

Here's someone I shared my lane with a few weeks ago, literally. They decided to straddle two lanes at a light and then slowly inch forward until they were in the middle of the intersection as well.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

PCOS Bill posted:

So you agree I'm not hurting anyone or in anyone's way. Got it.

I mean, until the pregnant woman with a 2 AM craving for pistachios swings by and is mildly inconvenienced by your mildly inconvenient rear end.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Safety Dance posted:

I mean, until the pregnant woman with a 2 AM craving for pistachios swings by and is mildly inconvenienced by your mildly inconvenient rear end.

With any luck, 11 others won't have shown up in the meantime. Since there are twelve of them.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
PCOS Bill you knew what you were doing when you started stolen valor'ing pregnant women. Expect a call from an angry Navy Seal.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PCOS Bill posted:

When working third shift, we would avoid the local grocery story on the first of the month because the checkout line would extend half way through the store with families at midnight. I would wonder why people would bring their kids shopping at that hour, but then I stopped by during the day one time and it was about ten times worse despite having all the checkout lanes open.

It's the day Link cards would get refilled.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its a difference of what, 20, maybe 30 feet? You're probably gonna walk further in the store if you forget something and have to backtrack to get it, so try not being a terrible human being. Why do I get the feeling that you'd happily park in handicap spaces too if you weren't afraid of getting your poo poo towed? I mean afterall, its not like those spots are used either at 3am!

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Hey guys I hard park across all available handicap spaces please tell me in many many words how you feel about this.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

Seriously, this isn't hard to figure out or hard to do and you are again showing that you are the person we share the road with.

If we just had to share the road with him, that'd be better, but we have to share the drat forums with him too. I swear there's not a thread he hasn't shitpost in.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I get that dogpiling PCOS Bill is a thing but this is a particularly grasping at strawsy example. Parking in one of twelve expecting mothers spots at 3 in the morning isn't a big deal no matter how you spin it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Elmnt80 posted:

Its a difference of what, 20, maybe 30 feet? You're probably gonna walk further in the store if you forget something and have to backtrack to get it, so try not being a terrible human being. Why do I get the feeling that you'd happily park in handicap spaces too if you weren't afraid of getting your poo poo towed? I mean afterall, its not like those spots are used either at 3am!

I walk up and down every aisle even if I only need 2-3 things, it's a good way to stretch the legs out after a ride.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

PCOS Bill posted:

I walk up and down every aisle even if I only need 2-3 things, it's a good way to stretch the legs out after a ride.

How PCOS Bill sees himself:

How everyone else sees PCOS Bill:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Elmnt80 posted:

Its a difference of what, 20, maybe 30 feet? You're probably gonna walk further in the store if you forget something and have to backtrack to get it, so try not being a terrible human being.

So if I go to a store at 3am that *doesn't* have Expectant Mother parking spots, and park in the closest spot to the store, am I also being a terrible human being because there *might* be, but almost certainly isn't, some 8-month pregnant mom with three small kids to deal with pulling in 30 seconds behind me? Or am I only a terrible human being if I ignore a sign that was installed at the direction of the store's marketing manager?

quote:

Why do I get the feeling that you'd happily park in handicap spaces too if you weren't afraid of getting your poo poo towed? I mean afterall, its not like those spots are used either at 3am!

There are plenty of places where the handicapped spot *isn't* the closest one to the door. If I park in the closest spot, am I being a terrible human being?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Phanatic posted:

So if I go to a store at 3am that *doesn't* have Expectant Mother parking spots, and park in the closest spot to the store, am I also being a terrible human being because there *might* be, but almost certainly isn't, some 8-month pregnant mom with three small kids to deal with pulling in 30 seconds behind me? Or am I only a terrible human being if I ignore a sign that was installed at the direction of the store's marketing manager?

There are plenty of places where the handicapped spot *isn't* the closest one to the door. If I park in the closest spot, am I being a terrible human being?

Is this really a hill worth dying on?

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I always park in the furthest spot and give myself 10 lashes before leaving my car.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

Measly Twerp posted:

How everyone not involved in this goofy-rear end argument sees both sides:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Honestly I was a little proud that he doesn't just park in the Fire Lane.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GutBomb posted:

Is this really a hill worth dying on?

I can't even get up the hill because the top's already occupied by the cars of pregnant women and cripples who didn't feel like walking all the way up there.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Lol

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Phanatic posted:

So am I being a terrible human being?

For parking in the front of a parking lot? No.

For taking PCOS Bill's side in an argument? Absolutely.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Measly Twerp posted:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
This thread really works impressively well as an rear end in a top hat honeytrap.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This thread really works impressively well as an rear end in a top hat honeytrap.

These are the people we share a forum with?

That said I really want to stick a camera at the top of the hill going to the highway from my apartment. In the morning you ride straight out to find the sun directly in your face, and it blows my mind how many people decide "sun, poo poo. Slam on the brakes in a 45 zone where everyone behind me can't see me!" Rather than, you know, throwing on the $10 sunglasses you got at Walmart.

There are always chunks of bumper and bits of random cars laying on the road. Fun times!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Seriously, I've ignored more people just from this thread than the rest of the forums combined.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I saw this on the way into the office yesterday... not super terrible, yet at the same time it's a bit horrifying that he's sharing my roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB1XzsRqCMg

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
On my way home from work, cruising the right lane. Some loving wangmaster comes blazing up behind me, tailgates me, passes, all in about 500 feet, then cuts me off and throws out the loving anchor to turn right into a gas station. If I hadn't been capable of threshold braking (no ABS in the truck) I would have rearended them and probably been listed at fault.

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress YOU you abominable douchebag I hope you drown in a toilet

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I passed at least a half- mile of cars, maybe further, in a road construction zone by riding the soon to be closed lane which has signs stating 'use both lanes to merge point' and ending in a sign that says 'take turns merge here'.

To fully accomplish this I had to get past two vigilantes that were straddling the striped line, and who both flipped birds so hard they were like flocks. They were maybe 300-500 feet apart.

You can get far in this world by following directions but you're going to make a few enemies I guess. I've been avoiding this section of the road due to the construction but I left work early and wanted to see what it was like. I think I'll continue to avoid it, since it gets really bad in rush hour, but then another part of me likes the feeling when doing that. The signs say to do so and I really did pass a lot of people.

edit: my vehicle has my company logo and name on the side, now that I think about it, even though I'm right I'm still going to avoid the area. No sense getting a call from the main office about it.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 21, 2016

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Not this again, we just finished round 15 of the parking argument.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

StormDrain posted:

I passed at least a half- mile of cars, maybe further, in a road construction zone by riding the soon to be closed lane which has signs stating 'use both lanes to merge point' and ending in a sign that says 'take turns merge here'.

To fully accomplish this I had to get past two vigilantes that were straddling the striped line, and who both flipped birds so hard they were like flocks. They were maybe 300-500 feet apart.

You can get far in this world by following directions but you're going to make a few enemies I guess. I've been avoiding this section of the road due to the construction but I left work early and wanted to see what it was like. I think I'll continue to avoid it, since it gets really bad in rush hour, but then another part of me likes the feeling when doing that. The signs say to do so and I really did pass a lot of people.

edit: my vehicle has my company logo and name on the side, now that I think about it, even though I'm right I'm still going to avoid the area. No sense getting a call from the main office about it.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

:golfclap:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I really hate when people are just using the EXIT ONLY lane to skip the lines of traffic in the regular travel lanes and I have to sit there waiting for them to find a spot to merge in when LOOK RIGHT loving THERE IT'S MY EXIT, I COULD JUST GET OFF RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW AND AVOID THIS JAM BUT FOR YOU SITTING AT THE TOP OF THE RAMP TRYING TO MERGE BACK IN.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I once parked in a 'mothers with children' spot at an HEB without seeing the sign and a random woman knocked on my window just after I parked and asked me to move so I did so and I noticed a brotruck with one occupant, a man, had parked there instead about a minute after I moved so I don't really give a gently caress where I park anymore as long as its a valid space.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I'm going to park in the expectant mothers section right now when i head to lunch.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
We don't have expectant mothers parking, rather it's "family with stroller". I'd totally park there all the time if I wasn't a single guy in a miata.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
What is it about some people?

I visited my parents yesterday. They're a 20 minute highway drive away. It's a pretty good tolled highway (E470 for those familiar with Colorado) with a higher speed limit of 75MPH and people are usually over that anyway.

I scoot along in the rightmost lane like I'm supposed to. Fly up on a Texas car going like 60mph, so I flip on my turn signal to go in the left lane and pass them. There's a truck probably 10 car lengths back in the left lane going the same speed as me that immediately starts speeding up as soon as I hit my blinker.

I still have plenty of room to merge over so I do, and the guy comes flying up my rear end (while I'm still doing 85 in a 75) and I can see the truck driver flip me off in my rear view mirror.

I get back over in the right lane. The truck slows back down, but finally passes me 5 minutes later.

What do you have to gain by being a dick like that? He clearly wasn't in a rush, there just must have been something he didn't like about having people indicate intent to merge some distance in front of him?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PCOS Bill posted:

I really hate when people are just using the EXIT ONLY lane to skip the lines of traffic in the regular travel lanes and I have to sit there waiting for them to find a spot to merge in when LOOK RIGHT loving THERE IT'S MY EXIT, I COULD JUST GET OFF RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW AND AVOID THIS JAM BUT FOR YOU SITTING AT THE TOP OF THE RAMP TRYING TO MERGE BACK IN.

I approve of this post. There's one area on my semi-regular route that's really bad for this after morning rush-hour (during morning rush-hour, shitwits in the other lanes block those trying to edge into the stopped exit-only lane). If you know you're not going to exit, you deserve a horse-whipping for blocking the exit-only lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Protocol7 posted:

What is it about some people?

I visited my parents yesterday. They're a 20 minute highway drive away. It's a pretty good tolled highway (E470 for those familiar with Colorado) with a higher speed limit of 75MPH and people are usually over that anyway.

I scoot along in the rightmost lane like I'm supposed to. Fly up on a Texas car going like 60mph, so I flip on my turn signal to go in the left lane and pass them. There's a truck probably 10 car lengths back in the left lane going the same speed as me that immediately starts speeding up as soon as I hit my blinker.

I still have plenty of room to merge over so I do, and the guy comes flying up my rear end (while I'm still doing 85 in a 75) and I can see the truck driver flip me off in my rear view mirror.

I get back over in the right lane. The truck slows back down, but finally passes me 5 minutes later.

What do you have to gain by being a dick like that? He clearly wasn't in a rush, there just must have been something he didn't like about having people indicate intent to merge some distance in front of him?

If you're in front of him, that means you're winning, so even if he doesn't actually want to go as fast as you, his fragile ego and tiny penis cannot handle the thought of you being in front of him.

On another note: what the hell is wrong with people who go 20 km/h in a school zone when there aren't even children around and the school is completely across the street, with a concrete median down the centre? 30 km/h (the limit) is quite slow enough already, we don't need to 33% slower than that!