Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Szymanski posted:

I don't think the Bstx gets slaughtery

It doesn't really outside of some secret levels ("Fireking Says No Cheating", for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
okay so I'm trying to use a version of Samsara I found while randomly doing Zandronum the other day, but I can't seem to get it to work with GZDoom, anyone know what I should do, this link has all the files the server was using; http://www.best-ever.org/wadpage?key=eba44501f3c6601af5a50cc8cdb7e8a5

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's probably built specifically for Zandronum and you would have less headache just using it.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Samsara's ZDoom support has always been flaky at best, and I certainly can't speak for the quality of the add-ons. It would certainly just be much better to use Zandronum.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Elliotw2 posted:

It's probably built specifically for Zandronum and you would have less headache just using it.

Tried doing it in Zandronum as well, ran into a bunch of Decorate errors, not sure what the issue is

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Out of nowhere: Battlezone Redux, a remaster of Activision's 1998 hybrid FPS/RTS/tank combat game for PC: http://store.steampowered.com/app/301650/

It's very loosely tied to the classic Battlezone franchise, created by Atari and now owned by Rebellion (the Sniper Elite/AvP studio).

I also learned that Battlezone '98 got a N64 port, which I'm sure plays marvelously.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 19, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Out of nowhere: Battlezone Redux, a remaster of Activision's 1998 hybrid FPS/RTS/tank combat game for PC: http://store.steampowered.com/app/301650/

It's very loosely tied to the classic Battlezone franchise, created by Atari and now owned by Rebellion (the Sniper Elite/AvP studio).

I also learned that Battlezone '98 got a N64 port, which I'm sure plays marvelously.

The N64 port is actually really good, does a great job of streamlining and merging the gameplay of Battlezone (1998) and elements of Battlezone II which came out the end of 99.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

TerminusEst13 posted:

Samsara's ZDoom support has always been flaky at best, and I certainly can't speak for the quality of the add-ons. It would certainly just be much better to use Zandronum.
Honestly, it's always seemed fine to me, speaking as a guy who doesn't use Zandronum outside of multiplayer servers.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Colon Semicolon posted:

When the composers from the original UT came around, Epic wasn't willing to pay them, so a spat happened where they told Epic to gently caress off. It got deleted, and then somehow everyone's acting like that never happened. It's all really weird.

Holy poo poo, they turned down van der Bos and Brandon? Wow, that's a really bad move.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pyrolocutus posted:

So far I've done Alien Vendetta, Hell Revealed 1 and 2, Going Down, and Plutonia 2. Anyone have recommendations for ones that don't devolve into slaughtermaps at the end? Honestly, once a level starts pushing above ~200 monsters, my eyes just start glazing over and I just want the thing to be done. At least Going Down exploited former humans and sergeants as part of the count by way of its tight levels, as opposed to the others where they were like "have fun with these 70 Revenants."

Scythe, though MAP30 is fairly slaughtery.

e) i was trying to remember off the top of my head if Scythe2 has slaughter stuff and then I remembered this map

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6GMt4tKLiE

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 19, 2016

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Alain Post posted:

Scythes entire last third is mostly slaughtery, and mostly bad.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Other than MAP30 Scythe has like one map that has a slaughter-like enemy count, and that one is one of the easiest slaughter maps I've played, to the point where I like it as an intro to slaughtermaps for people who don't like the idea of them.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Alain Post posted:

e) i was trying to remember off the top of my head if Scythe2 has slaughter stuff and then I remembered this map

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6GMt4tKLiE

I love this map :allears:.

I usually hate slaughter stuff, it really put me off the latter parts of Hell Revealed, but here it felt much better paced.

I suppose Alien Vendetta had a lot of slaughter maps actually, but I remember enjoying that a lot more than HR.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

laserghost posted:

Holy poo poo, they turned down van der Bos and Brandon? Wow, that's a really bad move.

even if the big spat didn't happen (which is starting to look like a no since I can't even find the post talking about it anymore) it's still pretty awful that they wouldn't want to give a shot after something that alot of people are really interested in. It would've helped there standings with everyone, and maybe there'd still be people super excited for it.
I think it's pretty clear that Epic as a bigger company doesn't really care about this project as much as they like to make it out they do. I question if it'll get the plug pulled since fan/hobbyist interest in creating content is falling apart.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 19, 2016

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Crap, I wouldn't ever guess things went so much south, I'm not playing UT4 because my PC is way too piss poor to handle it, but I hoped that lack of significant news is because some people are silently working on the game. This is awful :(

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuzojzR3LmQ&t=416s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD1oIEjxQFc

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like Gearbox are in one of their destroying-all-goodwill moods again.

(HTTKC = a mobile port of Duke3D w/ eDuke32 that's been in development under an official license/contract since before the Gearbox takeover)

TerminX posted:

Gearbox is actively trying to kill HTTKC now, I just haven't made much of a public statement about it yet. They seem to think they're above the law and that certain facets of our judicial system regarding contracts just don't apply to them. They claim the contracts for HTTKC are invalid, but upon my request for a written statement as to their invalidity they refuse to state why. I've been trying to get them to tell me for the last two months and they're just dicking me around and doing anything they can to avoid giving me an answer. Then they tell me they're unwilling to discuss the contracts unless I have a lawyer, so I have my lawyer contact them, only to have them waste another entire month of time before making vague legal threats and telling me they now refuse to have a discussion involving lawyers. It's complete nonsense and I suspect we will end up in court.

TerminX posted:

It looks like they're trying to wipe out every other version available so that they can peddle their own and collect any and all revenue from the game for themselves. They're lucky I'm not as big of a dick as they are, because they showed me a lot of stuff without ever getting my signature on any kind of NDA.

Seems like I'm not even going to get a check for the last two months Megaton Edition was on sale, because Gearbox is allegedly demanding Devolver give them the money.

TerminX posted:

They aren't stupid. I'm not sure that we'll find a middle ground, though, unless they modify the terms under which they'll actually discuss finding one. They want me to sign an NDA that also agrees to being bound to their local court venue in Texas and I'm not doing that. If the discussions were to fall through, because they don't respect my contracts and want to use "they aren't valid" as the starting point of negotiations, it's too much of a liability as far as the plan to just release it and see how court plays out goes.

TerminX posted:

Oh, no, they sent it to my lawyer. Everything was pretty civil until their guy replied without having actually reviewed any of the materials he was sent or knowing what the gently caress he was talking about. You would think he could have come up with an answer to the simple question of why my contracts are invalid or at least looked at all the pdfs we sent during that month of thumb twiddling.

It's very frustrating and it seems like they're drawing things out on purpose--they know I'm disabled and have jack poo poo for income and that I need to release HTTKC to survive. I need the income so that I can get off disability and give my family some semblance of the life they deserve. It's a drat shame, everyone seemed really cool when I visited their offices in Frisco, TX a few months ago and I was looking forward to working with them.

TerminX posted:

Yes, they were aware of HTTKC when I visited them. Randy even played it on my phone. They wanted to absorb it into something they're doing and they wanted to pay me royalties on my own legit licensed product. They never got into the specifics but it didn't sound like a great deal... they kept saying I would "probably" make as much doing it their way, and that I would make "just as much as" another person I won't name (because I'm not a dick and don't want to spoil their plans). Meh.

The whole thing has left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Randy Pitchford being a huge liar, as usual. Duke couldn't have ended up in worse hands.

Actually, wait, yes, he could've. But still, this is some grade-A disrespect here.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Duke is old news, man. Why not play the Badass Battleborn, which lets you play as over 50 badasses, from a ripoff of Saber from the Fate series to a literal Penguin of Doom, as they fight to protect or destroy the last star in the galaxy with lore spanning the beginning of the galaxy????? It's freaking epic and you're gonna love it!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

duke's going to be in borderlands 3 right

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

gently caress, I remember TX posting some time ago that things are looking pretty hopeful, hoped that now GBX owns Duke things will be good. loving TerminX over his own work is just the biggest dick move they could pull, as he was one of the few people maintaining eDuke32 and basically keeping the game alive.
Oh and they demand money from Devolver Digital because you one can't have enough and hey, why not twist the knife a little more? Megaton Ed. had it's issues but at least it was to run and play.
gently caress Gearbox forever.

laserghost fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 19, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

Looks like Gearbox are in one of their destroying-all-goodwill moods again.

(HTTKC = a mobile port of Duke3D w/ eDuke32 that's been in development under an official license/contract since before the Gearbox takeover)

:sbahj: WTF Gearbox!?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

"How can we write a script that's worse than DNF's? Wait, I know...!"

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I had a bitter chuckle at this post:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

laserghost posted:

I had a bitter chuckle at this post:

Fffffffffuuuck, that one's good. I'm hoping for the best but prepared for the worst with new Doom.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
a kickstarter campaign to fund someone to fly to gearbox so they can take a poo poo on randy's desk

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
That doesn't sound good. I remember Gearbox loving over the guys that made that fan made Duke game despite previously telling them they were fine to go ahead with it. Wish I knew why they were so ultra protective of a 20 year old DOS game (besides the obvious "bunch of dicks" explanation)

Good thing the source code is out under the GPL otherwise I expect they'd try to shut down eDuke32 as well.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

If I had to guess it would be Gearbox trying to secure something as their legacy, like how id has Doom, Valve has Half life, whatever. Gearbox didn't really do anything particularly special or by themselves until Borderlands.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Elliotw2 posted:

If I had to guess it would be Gearbox trying to secure something as their legacy, like how id has Doom, Valve has Half life, whatever. Gearbox didn't really do anything particularly special or by themselves until Borderlands.

But Borderlands is good enough in that regard, its a successful franchise with a distinct tone, mechanical identity and visual style. Which just makes their treatment of Duke Nukem all the more confusing. I know this is the early FPS thread and everything, but lets be honest, Duke's done, he's a relic of a bygone age, its been more than twenty years since the franchise has been anything other than a punchline, I don't even know what they could expect to do with the IP at this point, they didn't even create the bloody thing, it would probably be for the best to let other, smaller developers mess around with Duke because he is not going to reenter the AAA arena anytime soon.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Well, they can re-release Duke games on all the systems/platforms ad infinitum and have profits from sales. All the dirty work developing ports and backends was already done. 3DR provoked GBX like complete idiots and gave away all the rights. loving over TerminX of his work is just pure dickery.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elliotw2 posted:

Christ they better not put Duke in Battleborn :smith:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I love the new thread tag! :supaburn:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Christ they better not put Duke in Battleborn :smith:

I'll admit I wouldn't be against that, if mostly cause I enjoyed the Battleborn beta

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I love opening up youtube videos of Quakeworld Team Fortress and just drinking in the memories.

I probably spent the most time in my teenage years on playing QWTF, especially as a spy (where my SA avatar actually comes from-- since the bad James Bond skin looked more like an demented butler to me).

Hearing the old quake sounds and seeing the speed of the camera/movement fills me with nostalgic joy, even if I know I'll probably never play a real QWTF server again. Hearing those sounds like GAWK AWK AWK AWK GAAAAA when people got hurt is just so :v:

Plus sometimes I think I can probably map out all of Canalzon, the best nice dark level to be a rambo spy in ever, by memory on a napkin or something. gently caress I miss my old 24/7 canalzon QWTF server.

edit - oh god the old spy tranq gun sound, forgot all about that PSSSST. However, watching these videos is hard sometimes, esp if someone is playing spy. They will see 3 guys all lined up with their backs facing the POV of the youtube video and I will be screaming KNIFE KNIFE KNIFE

jeeves fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 20, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Man I would give The Kins all of the money if a standalone release of Reelism with split-screen support came out

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Should just give Kins all of the money as thanks for one of the best SA tags that now adorn this very thread!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

jeeves posted:

I love opening up youtube videos of Quakeworld Team Fortress and just drinking in the memories.

I probably spent the most time in my teenage years on playing QWTF, especially as a spy (where my SA avatar actually comes from-- since the bad James Bond skin looked more like an demented butler to me).

Hearing the old quake sounds and seeing the speed of the camera/movement fills me with nostalgic joy, even if I know I'll probably never play a real QWTF server again. Hearing those sounds like GAWK AWK AWK AWK GAAAAA when people got hurt is just so :v:

Plus sometimes I think I can probably map out all of Canalzon, the best nice dark level to be a rambo spy in ever, by memory on a napkin or something. gently caress I miss my old 24/7 canalzon QWTF server.

edit - oh god the old spy tranq gun sound, forgot all about that PSSSST. However, watching these videos is hard sometimes, esp if someone is playing spy. They will see 3 guys all lined up with their backs facing the POV of the youtube video and I will be screaming KNIFE KNIFE KNIFE

Was 2fort as loving awful to play back then as it is now?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Oh, so much awfuller.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

jeeves posted:

2fort has not changed at all over the years. :allears:

EDIT: "You can kill snipers" Like that hasn't always been a colossal waste of time and energy.

Klaus88 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

DoombatINC posted:

Oh, so much awfuller.

Hah, was it grenades? I never got to play QTF or TFC so I've always been curious how those changed the game.

gently caress, how has that accursed map managed to stay so popular for almost 2 decades.

Klaus88 posted:

2fort has not changed at all over the years. :allears:

I depresses me that I noticed all the little changes, there's a stairs now going down to the intel instead of an elevator, the room between the spawn and said elevator has a re-positioned path, there's no roof over the bridge and the sewers have different layout (a lot less water).