Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Double Rabite posted:

You have two options shout meta and retaliate meta. If you haven’t been playing for long use retaliate meta.
http://ffrk.kongbakpao.com/retaliate-meta/

So this "retaliate" meta is just activating the skill and everyone else just keeps attacking that person? How long does retaliate last?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

KataraniSword posted:

This is Wrong. Shout is not essential, though not using it/having it active is an explanation for low damage and using it/having it will make life a lot easier. But saying "you will not do enough damage" without any further qualifiers is just misleading hype-bait towards Shout.

With the amount of hones listed there, taking on most ultimates without a heavy Boostga (Shout/PP) or Advantaliate is, in fact, downright reckless and likely to not have the output to get the job done. I'll agree with that. On the other hand, honing up his skills will make up a lot of the difference there, easily just as much if not more than Shout.

tl;dr I'm kind of sick of people acting like Shout is mandatory.

I meant for his specific case. Since he had Ramza in his party. I am using pp myself when use a physical meta. Based on his hones it is much better for him to use Advance.

Tae posted:

So this "retaliate" meta is just activating the skill and everyone else just keeps attacking that person? How long does retaliate last?

You also use Advance with it. Retaliate last for 2 action under haste (use every 3rd turn) and like 1.5 when not under haste.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Erdricks posted:

Is mist cave or fabul castle better for grinding rm? It's most efficient based on lowest energy cost per # of rounds, which makes mist cave better, right?

Also, still looking for opinions on alex v. Diaga for Chandarnook

Mist yeah. Fabul castle seems more tempting because it's 1 stamina but that would only be more cost efficient if you got a RM on the first fight. Possible but not likely.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Tae posted:

About 15s, if memory serves. If you pop Retaliate every other turn (or every third turn, while hasted) you should be able to keep it going without any downtime. It's not the strongest team setup in the game but it's functional and it works well if you're starting out because it's amazingly orb-cheap and only needs one really solid weapon to see returns. In the past I've likened it to "a bunch of 98 pound weaklings bouncing pennies off a swole dude's chest and watching them fly at the enemy".

Erdricks posted:

Is mist cave or fabul castle better for grinding rm? It's most efficient based on lowest energy cost per # of rounds, which makes mist cave better, right?

Also, still looking for opinions on alex v. Diaga for Chandarnook

Correct. Since each round has a drop chance, 2 Stam for 3 rounds is slightly more efficient than 1 Stam for 1 round.

For your other question, it depends. Is that going to be your only source of Holy damage in the fight, or are you going to have characters with physical Holy attacks (St Cross, Banishing Strike) carving the dude up?

Diaga is cheaper and more efficient to hone, for sure, and chances are either of them is going to do some hefty damage on Demon Form Chad. On the other hand, if you're not looking to use it for anything but the initial barrier-melt (and you don't have Flower of Trabia) then Alex is going to be slightly more damage for that one single hit.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Double Rabite posted:

I meant for his specific case. Since he had Ramza in his party. I am using pp myself when use a physical meta. Based on his hones it is much better for him to use Advance.

He'll be able to push Gilgamesh right up to soft-cap with Shout alone. Even if he didn't have Shout, he'd be better off using RW on it rather than Advance, because he has other viable physical attackers.

At the end of the day, I 100% agree with Katarani - Shout is a better (the best) version of an ability that more than a dozen characters have, and you don't actually need any of those to succeed. All you really need are a Wall, shared Medicas, and some form of Regen and Haste. Even the White Magic versions of the last two can be good enough, if you're struggling.

Niton fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 19, 2016

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Next Chamber of the Abyss/Nightmare in Japan is once again oriented around White Magic; this time the main boss is FFV's Soul Cannon, notorious for those confusion/old missile spamming launchers and of course for being the first thing in that game to use Wave Cannon.

The new 6* ability ("Cure Flurry"?) is a bit weird; a large single target heal that also effectively overheals the target by 2000 HP. Basically imagine Golem from FFV/FFVI if it was single target and also a heal spell that worked on magic damage in addition to physical damage. So really good, but it's a 6* skill and thus getting it well honed isn't happening anytime soon.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Niton posted:

At the end of the day, I 100% agree with Katarani - Shout is a better (the best) version of an ability that more than a dozen characters have, and you don't actually need any of those to succeed. All you really need are a Wall, shared Medicas, and some form of Regen and Haste. Even the White Magic versions of the last two can be good enough, if you're struggling.

I'd argue that a group heal isn't really necessary, especially if you have a source of heavy regen (which some would say falls into that category anyway).

It ultimately comes down to what your team is capable of, though. If you can't kill a boss fast enough then yeah you'll probably want the group heal.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

I'd argue that a group heal isn't really necessary, especially if you have a source of heavy regen (which some would say falls into that category anyway).

It ultimately comes down to what your team is capable of, though. If you can't kill a boss fast enough then yeah you'll probably want the group heal.

Of the trinity medica is the weakest in necessity, but having one changes how you approach a battle completely. It opens up a lot of avenues for your team and frees up a lot of actions/turns in general. The trinity isn't necessarily REQUIRED to play the game but it's the trinity because of how much pressure it alleviates from your team.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I was able to get Reno/Yuffie/Zack's MCs but I think Vincent's is out of reach for the moment. MC2's are a far off dream for me at this point, I'm going to ignore the event and focus on stamina shards again, since I can ignore the lower level Daily Dungeons since I already got their mythril.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Niton posted:

He'll be able to push Gilgamesh right up to soft-cap with Shout alone. Even if he didn't have Shout, he'd be better off using RW on it rather than Advance, because he has other viable physical attackers.

No one actually said it was required though? :confused: He was speaking specifically in the context of that team with those hones, and wasn't wrong.

Just a weird post to pick to use as a anti-shout-hype soapbox.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014
Also for what it's worth, as someone who still uses retaliate when I'm lazy/bored, under the effect of haste if you are playing at 1 speed you can do three actions and then reapply retaliate as long as you're careful with how late you attack after your retaliator uses their third action.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I may have forgotten that Yuffie does not have Dancer 5 and jumped the gun a little bit. :cripes:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

2 SPOOKY posted:

No one actually said it was required though? :confused: He was speaking specifically in the context of that team with those hones, and wasn't wrong.

Just a weird post to pick to use as a anti-shout-hype soapbox.

Not really? It's part of a chain talking about Shout not being mandatory (or even necessarily the best option).

He's still incorrect on Advance being better than Shout for that specific team, though - due to running 2 actual attackers on top of Gilgamesh, he'd see a much larger return from getting all three of them to the soft cap (though it's kind of a moot point because he has Plat Sword).

Niton fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 19, 2016

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So hey, apparently the 6*+ crystal bangle is like 20 defense and 11 resistance away from the golden bangle's stats with synergy. I'm just gonna combine the golden bangle then. I don't care to lose out on 4 points in offensive stats and worthless defensive stats.

Edit:

Attestant posted:

I may have forgotten that Yuffie does not have Dancer 5 and jumped the gun a little bit. :cripes:

Nonsense! Just like full break, that dance is best honed to r2 and left that way. You're just ready for a multiple boss fight earlier than most will be. Which is also known as jumping the gun, but

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 19, 2016

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Attestant posted:

whats Tyro up to

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

With the sheer amount of Multi Target high level bosses comming up think the Dances are pretty necessary.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

MotU posted:

whats Tyro up to

Getting back to the A-team for multi-target bosses, by the looks of it. It's not too bad, since I have both Stormlance and Last Judgement Grimoire. That's solid damage with Shout.

I'm mostly annoyed since I've been salivating at the idea of AoE full break on my Instant-medica having Yuffie, starring occasional Thieves Revenge.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 19, 2016

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Not a lot of Dancer 5 people, but since I've got Mog's Holy Lance these latest dances mean Mog can act as a merging of my Full Break user and Aerith (PP). Not a straight upgrade because Sunbath is a weaker Boostga and dances don't deal damage, but it should add some welcome diversity to the upper tier boss fights. I'm very pleased with this.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Attestant posted:

Getting back to the A-team for multi-target bosses, by the looks of it. It's not too bad, since I have both Stormlance and Last Judgement Grimoire. That's solid damage with Shout.

I'm mostly annoyed since I've been salivating at the idea of AoE full break on my Instant-medica having Yuffie, starring occasional Thieves Revenge.

The good news is that you can satisfy the second part at least in about 4-5 months, when Rikku gets her Dancer 5 buff.

I'd say you could get it earlier with Faris, but that needs Record Dive.

Also looking forward to Rufus and Dark Nation. I've got Lunatic High, Banishing Blade, and Heroic Harmony at the ready.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Today has been pretty great. Shattered a bunch of old busted skills and Doppelblade, combined a bunch of orbs, honed Meteor to R2, Saint Cross to R2, Banishing Strike to R4, Alexander to R4, and beat Chadarnook with only one S/L after I accidentally got hit with lullaby.

Still wish I had a Valiant Knife though.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Hope multiplayer isn't essential to the game, because I tend to despise online multiplayer stuff.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Well, it looks like I might be getting a multiplayer beta invite (only certain people were given the chance to sign up in the JP client, and I was and did), so I'll at least be able to provide immediate first-hand knowledge. I doubt it'll be essential. I expect it to just be another thing like the fragment dungeons where you can do it for benefit but the benefit you get isn't critical to success.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

the Orb of Zot posted:

The new 6* ability ("Cure Flurry"?) is a bit weird; a large single target heal that also effectively overheals the target by 2000 HP. Basically imagine Golem from FFV/FFVI if it was single target and also a heal spell that worked on magic damage in addition to physical damage. So really good, but it's a 6* skill and thus getting it well honed isn't happening anytime soon.

Nice that White Magic finally got its first new useful skill since loving Diaga. :colbert: Now maybe Bard can catch up there.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Nice that White Magic finally got its first new useful skill since loving Diaga. :colbert: Now maybe Bard can catch up there.

Bard is reportedly getting a 5 star and 6 star skill during the Brass de Bravo II collab in a week and a half. Remains to be seen how useful they'll be, of course.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Hey how does the new 5* monk skill compare to exploding palm?

And as far as an actual ninja skill goes, how's this new 5* skill? I mean the 4* can do sap, but that's about it on my ninja. The 3* skills suck, and the multi-hit 4* is a let down.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

Kawalimus posted:

Hope multiplayer isn't essential to the game, because I tend to despise online multiplayer stuff.

I would personal love to see the analytics for the income of this game. I say this because I would guess that a large portion of the game’s income comes from dollar pulls and not whales. If that is true then implementing a more or less mandatory multiplayer, unless done very carefully, would kill this game. Such an implementation could push this game into pay-to–win status. Not because the game is designed that way, but because the whales get such a huge advantage over everyone else it could force you to whale to stand a chance. Then the non-whales actually stop standing a chance and start slowly leaving the game. Which in turn would slowly turn the game into a ghost town, before it dies off completely. But I could be completely wrong, I am just basing this assertion off an Extra Credits episode.

Double Rabite fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 19, 2016

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Sprite141 posted:

Hey how does the new 5* monk skill compare to exploding palm?

And as far as an actual ninja skill goes, how's this new 5* skill? I mean the 4* can do sap, but that's about it on my ninja. The 3* skills suck, and the multi-hit 4* is a let down.

The new 5* monk skill in Japan? Earthshaker is meh. 2x150 potency earth damage and self +50% attack buff (doesn't stack with Shout). I'd rather have Exploding Palm or just Full Charge.

Doppelblade sucks. It's no better at applying Sap than Shadowblade and not much better at dealing damage.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I hate the idea of breaking things down unless youre directly converting those orbs into something you need. Like what if somehow Doppelblade becomes good? I'm pretty sure that won't happen due to being able to see into the future thanks to the Japan version but what if....

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

U-DO Burger posted:

Not a lot of Dancer 5 people, but since I've got Mog's Holy Lance these latest dances mean Mog can act as a merging of my Full Break user and Aerith (PP). Not a straight upgrade because Sunbath is a weaker Boostga and dances don't deal damage, but it should add some welcome diversity to the upper tier boss fights. I'm very pleased with this.

Oh. Ohhhhhhhhh. I also have Holy Lance.

Hmmm. Maybe I sideline Yuffie and her insta-heal for a while and run Mog (Curaja/Multi Break), Garnet (Maduin/whatever) and run Squall/Terra/Vivi for damage?

That sounds better than trying to cram Yuffie into a semi-support role.

When do we get Mog's MC2?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Double Rabite posted:

I would personal love to see the analytics for the income of this game. I say this because I would guess that a large portion of the game’s income comes from dollar pulls and not whales. If that is true then implementing a more or less mandatory multiplayer, unless done very carefully, would kill this game. Such an implementation could push this game into pay-to–win status. Not because the game is designed that way, but because the whales get such a huge advantage over everyone else it could force you to whale to stand a chance. Then the non-whales actually stop standing a chance and start slowly leaving the game. Which in turn would slowly turn the game into a ghost town, before it dies off completely. But I could be completely wrong, I am just basing this assertion off an Extra Credits episode.

Pretty sure that, like most Mobile Games, the Whales contribute far more money then the Dollar Pull folk.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Double Rabite posted:

Equipment is streamlined in the multiplayer, its mostly about hones + skills. Soul Breaks can be brought of course but with 4 people and 8 characters, you should be alright

also analytics would be really funny when you notice that one Big Whale on one banner would bring in as much money as several thousand 'dollar pull' players

MotU fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 19, 2016

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Cast Odin, win multiplayer?

or is it not PvP?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Snazzy Frocks posted:

or is it not PvP?

Co-Op Speed Boss Rushes

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

IllegallySober posted:

When do we get Mog's MC2?

Celes's Opera Dress Record event. Which just ended yesterday in Japan. Call it 5 months.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

or is it not PvP?

Pure PvE.

MotU posted:

Equipment is streamlined in the multiplayer, its mostly about hones + skills. Soul Breaks can be brought of course but with 4 people and 8 characters, you should be alright

5 players, 10 characters total.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Zurai posted:

Celes's Opera Dress Record event. Which just ended yesterday in Japan. Call it 5 months.

Pure PvE.

5 players, 10 characters total.

sorry I meant '4 other players' as if the person participating had nothing good :v:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I hate the idea of breaking things down unless youre directly converting those orbs into something you need. Like what if somehow Doppelblade becomes good? I'm pretty sure that won't happen due to being able to see into the future thanks to the Japan version but what if....

By the time you find a use for Doppelblade your supply of Major Orbs will be greater than it is now, and recrafting it won't be a horrible inconvenience. It's better to break it down now when your supply is scarcer and put the orbs to actual use instead of letting them languish in a useless ability.

My mind knows this, but I have the same problem. I crafted Odin months ago and got some solid use out of him, but now the meta's changed and AoE instant death moves aren't really needed anymore. I'm in love with summons and could really use those orbs for other summons that I'm actually going to use but what if...

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Zurai posted:

Dang. Well, I'm still going to try it for a while.

Last dumb question for the day (I hope)- does Multi Break do the exact same level of breaks as Full Break, just as an AoE- or is it less of an effect compared to Full Break?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Zurai posted:

The new 5* monk skill in Japan? Earthshaker is meh. 2x150 potency earth damage and self +50% attack buff (doesn't stack with Shout). I'd rather have Exploding Palm or just Full Charge.

Doppelblade sucks. It's no better at applying Sap than Shadowblade and not much better at dealing damage.

Well, the attack buff might not stack with shout, but it IS the same buff. I guess it might be a punishing palm upgrade for non-shout usage.

Hey, does steal power stack with shout?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

IllegallySober posted:

Dang. Well, I'm still going to try it for a while.

Last dumb question for the day (I hope)- does Multi Break do the exact same level of breaks as Full Break, just as an AoE- or is it less of an effect compared to Full Break?

Multi Break reduces stats by the same amount as Full Break (i.e. 30%).

Sprite141 posted:

Well, the attack buff might not stack with shout, but it IS the same buff. I guess it might be a punishing palm upgrade for non-shout usage.

Hey, does steal power stack with shout?

Steal Power does not stack with Shout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Mirificus posted:

Steal Power does not stack with Shout.

Oh good. That's what I thought, but I didn't want to gimp myself.

• Locked thread