Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Can't go a day without 4-5 user connection failures in our Citrix farm (minor stuff, usually people's terrible internet connections/home computers) so I'm waiting for one to happen so I can test a notification script.

It's now 3:30pm and there hasn't been a single failure for the entire day.

How :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

You fool! You changed the outcome by observing it!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is why most ticketing systems have a "cannot reproduce" option in the resolution dropdown.

Sorry users, I tried, but I can't break it the way you did. :shobon:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

xzzy posted:

This is why most ticketing systems have a "cannot reproduce" option in the resolution dropdown.

Sorry users, I tried, but I can't break it the way you did. :shobon:

I've had customer service complain about me to upper management because I refused to work on their tickets.

Sorry guys, "update failed" is not a valid problem, you need to provide me with build version, logs, and other info pertinent to the problem. "Unable to reproduce." :smug:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ratbert90 posted:

I've had customer service complain about me to upper management because I refused to work on their tickets.

Sorry guys, "update failed" is not a valid problem, you need to provide me with build version, logs, and other info pertinent to the problem. "Unable to reproduce." :smug:

Did you communicate this? Or did you just smug-face as you closed the ticket?

One of those is good. One of those is not.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

ConfusedUs posted:

Posted video of :smug: with bug report.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Pissing me off is Cisco trying to make us beta testers of their new Hyperflex system while swearing it's a fully functional, finished product that's in place all over.

How do I know it's not? We asked for a reference. The best that Cisco could produce (because cdw didn't have a single one) was a large retail organization that is currently evaluating the system. We asked what kind of load they've put on it, they say "oh a couple vdi's, no servers yet, we haven't tried load testing the system. We have installed it in our dev lab though, and it works!"

Oh and a Cisco engineer was on the call, which isn't exactly how references are supposed to work. Total waste of time.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh of course I did. The company only has 40 people in it. Kind of hard to be the anonymous smug rear end hole when customer service is 50 feet away. :v:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Doctor had a problem with his VDI. I was working on it but I couldn't fix it right away, doctor's leaves for "clinic".

Come later that day it turns out I promised him a laptop and left and never came back and if he doesn't get on the system right now he's going to complain to the CEO. I manage to get it fixed that time.

I would never promise anyone a laptop, I told him to use a nurse's machine which is just as good (better actually, it can print). I didn't leave and not come back, it was more he left and I didn't bother to stay in the same place waiting for him to eventually come back whenever the hell that was going to be. I was pretty much in "I wish a motherfucker would" mode just so I can point out what a liar/lunatic this piece of poo poo doctor is. That's another quack on my "refuse all treatment" list. If he's going to dream up a promise for a laptop, what else is he going to get wrong.

Truth be told I'm sick of the EMR and VDIs too and the users have a point. Let me ask you, if you have a system that needs resetting literally every day and has for 3 years, is it a good system? Nobody ever wants to sit down and fix it, and just tells us desktop people to just reset the VM. They probably need a contractor because the senior guys all bounced and the guys left behind are probably out of their depth, or at least too busy to really try and fix it barring a major dustup.

I'm interviewing for a similar position on Thursday :yotj:. It's a software firm and they have a proper NOC with round the clock staff (I think anyway). Hopefully desktop is left alone after hours, but we'll see. I could certainly do with more pay for the amount of grief I put up with.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
poo poo pissing me off ...

ISP notifies us that due to network upgrades one of our (small) sattelite offices will lose their internet connectivity for a day. I send out an email detailling the impact and possible workarounds (they don't have a backup internet connection). For simple system queries, I propose they use their cell phone to create a hotspot and use the laptops from the sales guys to connect to the server via VPN. Sales guys have a data plan and our ERP runs over terminal sessions so it should be sufficient. I don't hear anything back, which I should have taken as a warning.

On D-day, we get phone calls from the sattelite office to look prices and poo poo. I give them a call asking why they're not using the workaround.

:byodood: I don't have data on my phone.
:) Yes, you do. You asked for it for more than a year ago. I checked the bill, we're paying for it. Now you're telling me it's never worked and you didn't say anything?
:byodood: Uh, never mind. I don't understand what you want me to do.
:) Make a local hotspot, like I said in the email.
:byodood: I don't know how to do that, it's all technical mumbo-jumbo to me.
:) Wait, you had a full week to ask for help or tell me you didn't have a clue but you didn't because?
:byodood: ...

Of course, managment tells me I should have expected this outcome.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

lodewijk posted:

Everyone in this thread could have told you to expect that outcome. Sounds like you have good management.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
poo poo pissing me off...

I've been finishing my work sooner than expected so I am rewarded with picking up other people's jobs they are dragging their feet on that I am not familiar with at all instead of new projects. I'm also having to work on projects that were handed off to another agency over a month ago because they still haven't gotten around to taking it over yet.

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

quote:

Virus/Malware: Ransom_CRYPTESLA.SMQ
Computer: DRG-06
Domäne: XXX\Usb-deaktiv\
Datei: C:\Users\XXX-azubi\AppData\Local\Temp\Low\A990.tmp.exe
Datum/Uhrzeit: 20.04.2016 12:22:31

After I got the above notification, I called the user to ask what mail attachment he opened so that I can look at improving filter rules and check why our mail-scanner didn't stop the attachment.

First reply: "Wasn't me, I didn't even have Outlook open at that time."

A quick look at the mail-log seemed to confirm this as there was no suspicious e-mails sent to the user in the past 3 weeks. And my investigation concluded with him being right, he really didn't have Outlook open at the time.

He was browsing his personal E-Mail account and opened a attachment from there. :negative:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Why does our AS400 have 4 different A records in DNS. Why.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Our data replication system has been down for over 6 months. 6 months of reporting we have not been able to do. This impacts our ability to report on business operations, user participation, performance metrics for yearly reviews, and most importantly: broken things in the system. I haven't been able to get a pulse on one of the big 3 applications in our company because of this.

Guess who runs it? The folks who bought out my old company. A lot of the issues with the service is that it was developed by outsourced engineers and only had one onshore person running the project, so a lot of things slipped through the cracks.

They log things, which is good, but it's to a database table. No indexes. Temporary tables were never cleaned up. Foreign key violations were happening left and right because the schema was never spec'd correctly. Their developer ran a fix in production, then quickly rolled it back only after realizing he was in the wrong environment, but it was too late and we had to flush and resynchronize. It has been months of blunders, gently caress ups, and deflection on their side.

Deflections you ask? Here's some of the examples in which they pushed this back on us and claimed the problem was on our side:
  • The timestamp for the window to pull changes can't be a millisecond.
  • The timestamp for the window to pull changes can't have a timezone offset.
  • Oh, the mismatch of changes is on your side? It must be an issue on your side.
  • You can just flush the data on your side to make the counts match.
  • You can just accept the data as-is, it is no worry, it is safe.

This is why I hate everything.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
gently caress fax machines and everything else that runs on analog in a voip environment

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hihifellow posted:

Why does our AS400 have 4 different A records in DNS. Why.
That's a little feature called Round-robin DNS :downs:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

gently caress fax machines and everything else that runs on analog in a voip environment

Yep. I love it when salespeople say 'oh sure your stuff will still work when you go to VOIP" and then you spend days trying to get a 15 year old fax machine to work.

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.

hazzlebarth posted:

After I got the above notification, I called the user to ask what mail attachment he opened so that I can look at improving filter rules and check why our mail-scanner didn't stop the attachment.

First reply: "Wasn't me, I didn't even have Outlook open at that time."

A quick look at the mail-log seemed to confirm this as there was no suspicious e-mails sent to the user in the past 3 weeks. And my investigation concluded with him being right, he really didn't have Outlook open at the time.

He was browsing his personal E-Mail account and opened a attachment from there. :negative:

I hope he gets reamed for trying to brush it under the rug. But I know he won't, they never do.

The temp folder location also demonstrates that it was launched from outside of Outlook. I had a user trying to restore days of lost work from an Excel spreadsheet, and it wasn't in the usual temp folder because he had been working on it from within Outlook:
<USER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Yep. I love it when salespeople say 'oh sure your stuff will still work when you go to VOIP" and then you spend days trying to get a 15 year old fax machine to work.

We got them working after like 4 phone calls to AT&T techs. The first time was 3 different guys in other countries "Sir there is nothing for us to change" then I got some guy who sounded like he was from Alabama and he was like oh I know what to change give me a few minutes then reset your router...

I called back to rub it in the face of the foreign dudes but they wouldn't take it.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

quote:

I called back to rub it in the face of the foreign dudes but they wouldn't take it.

I did something similar with a particularly cunty Solarwinds tech that was incredibly abrasive and wouldn't help us with a problem that was clearly a bug related to a recent upgrade. Swore up and down it was a gently caress up on Cisco's part and that the MIB on THEIR end was all hosed up, and the fact that it started happening literally seconds after the upgrade was purely a coincidence.

In the end a hotfix was released a few days later and I sent the tech an e-mail giving him a bunch of poo poo for the entire ordeal. Never heard anything back.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Bigass Moth posted:

eFaxing has treated us well once the Riotous Outrage Against Change calmed down.

... and people realized they don't have to hover over a stupid fax machine anymore.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Lord Dudeguy posted:

eFaxing has treated us well once the Riotous Outrage Against Change calmed down.

... and people realized they don't have to hover over a stupid fax machine anymore.
I haven't used that particular solution, but I concur that e-faxing is far superior to fax machines.

Which, I mean, is a tremendously low bar, but still.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I literally cannot install an IP-based Fax solution right now. Barred from it. This in an environment whose cost per PBX line is 1.3 -1.5 times the going rate of a cell line :stare:

I need some people to :frogout: so we can stop burning literally a thousand dollars per PBX line per year.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If people can't dial five digits to reach someone, their heads explode. The number of times I have had to explain to someone that you can't dial five digits to get directly to a phone number outside our organization :eng99:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

lodewijk posted:

poo poo pissing me off ...

ISP notifies us that due to network upgrades one of our (small) sattelite offices will lose their internet connectivity for a day. I send out an email detailling the impact and possible workarounds (they don't have a backup internet connection). For simple system queries, I propose they use their cell phone to create a hotspot and use the laptops from the sales guys to connect to the server via VPN. Sales guys have a data plan and our ERP runs over terminal sessions so it should be sufficient. I don't hear anything back, which I should have taken as a warning.

On D-day, we get phone calls from the sattelite office to look prices and poo poo. I give them a call asking why they're not using the workaround.

:) Yes, you do. You asked for it for more than a year ago. I checked the bill, we're paying for it. Now you're telling me it's never worked and you didn't say anything?
:) Wait, you had a full week to ask for help or tell me you didn't have a clue but you didn't because?

haha, you expected a user to read an email.

hahahaha

fool.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

evobatman posted:

Everyone in this thread could have told you to expect that outcome. Sounds like you have good management.

If that was simply what was said, I'd be fine with that. But if that was the official stance and no email along the lines of "please pay attention to emails in the future because we can't hold your feet to the fire to ask if you don't understand something" was sent then I'd be pretty annoyed too.

He did what he was supposed to and notify them of a problem with a solution. IfWhen they can't handle that and call after the fact, it still needs to be on them to actually be proactive in the future.

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

Shuntly posted:

I hope he gets reamed for trying to brush it under the rug. But I know he won't, they never do.

In this case it was a trainee and I made it pretty clear that the problem wasn't the private browsing/emailing (when it becomes a problem, his direct manager will take care), the problem is the dishonesty. Everybody makes mistakes and we have security software in place to try and provide a safety net, but in order for that to work, IT needs to know what you did so that we can prevent it in future. I think he got the message and trust that it won't happen again.

In general though you are right, if it had been a doctor he wouldn't even have listened to me and just tell me that he has no time and if I had fixed it. Doctors.

quote:

The temp folder location also demonstrates that it was launched from outside of Outlook. I had a user trying to restore days of lost work from an Excel spreadsheet, and it wasn't in the usual temp folder because he had been working on it from within Outlook:
<USER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\

I didn't know that, thank you!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Time for another exciting episode of "being blamed for problems out of your control"

Had a client who lost internet all day yesterday, and it happened about 10 minutes after I showed up to work on a laptop and troubleshoot their wireless router. Cleaned the laptop, went to do updates...and no internet. Then I hear screeching from up the hall about everyone losing connectivity. I go to the switch closet to troubleshoot and the first thing I hear from the front desk lady was "this didn't happen until YOU got here", and in the most angry, serious tone.

Bear in mind, I hadn't touched ANYTHING network related at this point. I cleaned up a laptop, went to check for updates and noticed internet was down right before Harpy McBitchface tried to throw me under the nearest bus.

So I spend literal hours fighting CenturyLink support because they're a bunch of retarded assholes, and found out they didn't program the cable modem on site properly. Instead of using the client's email and password for PPPoE auth, they left a temp email/password that CL uses for testing connectivity :doh: swapped that out, verified the static IP info, tested firewall and all was good. Made sure McBitchface was within 5 feet of me while i had CL on the line stating that this was their fault and not MY fault and she finally apologized for being such a royal oval office about it. Everyone else in the office was laid back and understood my hands were tied until CL could get their poo poo together, but this one lady always flips out and blames us for problems.

Best part was sending a rough transcript of bitch's behavior to her boss, who is awesome and always understanding whenever we chat. Don't piss me off lest you incur my wrath and wanna be back in the soup line, cuntwagon :fuckoff:

lodewijk posted:

Always, ALWAYS put together a small Word document with the easiest technical baby steps possible. This has saved me plenty of times, I keep one that details iOS/Android mail setup, connecting to wireless and setting up a semi-secure hot spot. No complaints so far and everyone said it was super easy to follow, from the tech illiterate on up to engineers and sysadmins. A few minutes of time saves hours of headaches later, bonus points for CCing their boss and yours (BCC is great for this) so there's a paper trail and no excuses.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 20, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

poo poo pissing me off?

Cisco Field Notice 64110

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Thanks Ants posted:

I can see why people get pissed off trying to have a bank account in the US, it just seems really medieval.

We've had this for ages, for instance: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster_Payments_Service. Most providers now have a facility to transfer funds with no surcharges using a phone number.

I guarantee you all American banks have the capability to do this. However, why provide a service for free when you can charge for it? That makes it 100% profit!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Oh no, some fuckface secretary revealed your evil plan to kill the or internet because you clearly have time for that poo poo.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ugato posted:

If that was simply what was said, I'd be fine with that. But if that was the official stance and no email along the lines of "please pay attention to emails in the future because we can't hold your feet to the fire to ask if you don't understand something" was sent then I'd be pretty annoyed too.

He did what he was supposed to and notify them of a problem with a solution. IfWhen they can't handle that and call after the fact, it still needs to be on them to actually be proactive in the future.

This.

Really, I totally wouldn't have minded holding their hands through the whole process, or driving over their to show them how to do it or even just do it myself. He only needed to reply with: "The gently caress you talking about?" Instead he just ignored it. But yes, I should have expected it - or rather, shouldn't have hoped for more.

Ozz81 posted:

Always, ALWAYS put together a small Word document with the easiest technical baby steps possible. This has saved me plenty of times, I keep one that details iOS/Android mail setup, connecting to wireless and setting up a semi-secure hot spot. No complaints so far and everyone said it was super easy to follow, from the tech illiterate on up to engineers and sysadmins. A few minutes of time saves hours of headaches later, bonus points for CCing their boss and yours (BCC is great for this) so there's a paper trail and no excuses.

Been there, done that (still do that when for new features in our back-end systems). Then they come over and ask me how this thingie works. Then I tell them: "It's in the mail I sent you two weeks ago, with a step-by-step explanation and screenshots". Then they say: "Oh that, I didn't read it."

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Pissing me off: I completely blanked my domain password. Like, it's gone. I thought maybe sleeping on it after I tried to log in last night would help. Nope. The loving thing is just gone from my mind. I called IT this morning and got the on-call tech who was like "I'll pull over and get on the hotspot to help you". Nah gently caress that man I'll call back when you get in the office. Coffee and catching up on SA time.

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

Virigoth posted:

Pissing me off: I completely blanked my domain password. Like, it's gone. I thought maybe sleeping on it after I tried to log in last night would help. Nope. The loving thing is just gone from my mind. I called IT this morning and got the on-call tech who was like "I'll pull over and get on the hotspot to help you". Nah gently caress that man I'll call back when you get in the office. Coffee and catching up on SA time.

That's why you have a little post-it with your login credentials under your keyboard. :downsgun:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

If people can't dial five digits to reach someone, their heads explode. The number of times I have had to explain to someone that you can't dial five digits to get directly to a phone number outside our organization :eng99:
Please do the needful and alias every external phone number everyone could ever want to call to an internal extension.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

What the hell kind of construction/power work requires that a building be without power for 12 hours?!? No elevators, HVAC, security systems, etc. Our UPS system is good for about 3 hours before everything will power down. That means I get to come in this weekend and bring everything back up.

EDIT: Also leads to stupid questions like. "Will our phones still work?" No you idiot, it wont. I bet the powers that be are re-thinking that hosted Exchange idea I pitched them earlier now.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 21, 2016

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Asking if the phones will work isn't moronic. Conventional wired handsets worked via power carried on the telephone lines. Your users don't really have a reason to know positively that the desksets they have now are just internet widgets.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Get invited to a 9am meeting. The presenter (a SR Vice President) decides to do the meeting in korean and it turns out I am the only non-korean speaker in the room. I assume he didn't want me in this meeting so I take the hint and bail. 10 minutes later his assistant comes to my desk to let me know that this SVP is upset I bailed on his meeting.

:) : I don't speak Korean, sorry.

:argh: : Some of the meeting was in English, you would have known that if you stayed.

:) : I don't think I am going to sit through a meeting where only parts of it are in a language that I understand.

:argh: : This is very unfair to treat Mr. SVP this way.

:) : I didn't mean to offend him by leaving. Just as I assume he wasn't trying to offend me by doing the meeting in Korean when he knows I don't speak Korean.

:argh: : You should learn Korean, it is polite you know.

:) : Learning any language has its benefits and I admire anyone who learns multiple languages. But this is Texas and it is not a very big priority for me right now.

:argh: Just so you know he is very upset.

:) : Thanks for the heads up.

Nothing will come out of this but the CEO making a rule about English being the only meeting language or something. He has been on top of this Anti-Non-Korean stuff but it does pop up every once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
A couple of weeks ago I inherited a phone system that won't work unless some random Vista box is powered on and connected to the network.

The people who thought such a system was a good idea, pitched the system to us, agreed to the purchase, and installed it should all be taken out back and shot.

Sickening posted:

:argh: : You should learn Korean, it is polite you know.

You should have told them that Dokdo isn't Korean and also lies in the Sea of Japan.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 21, 2016