Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think they should do what they did with Aliens and pretend that the expanded universe still exists but change everyone's name.

I look forward to a re-release of Zahn's trilogy starring Grand Admiral Snoke featuring the birth of Han and Leia's twins Rey and Ben.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

I think they should do what they did with Aliens and pretend that the expanded universe still exists but change everyone's name.

I look forward to a re-release of Zahn's trilogy starring Grand Admiral Snoke featuring the birth of Han and Leia's twins Rey and Ben.

Twins. That are almost a decade apart in age.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

Twins. That are almost a decade apart in age.

It is called a joke, jivjov, and intentionally does not stand up to closer analysis.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Well obviously there were complications so they had to freeze Leia in Carbonite for a decade in the middle of labor.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm glad c3p0 was only a one shot cuz I just read it and it was barely holding my attention.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Still thought it would have been nice for Lucasfilm to do the EU die-hards a solid and write one final wrap-up story for that universe. Reference everything, good and bad, and go out with a bang. Then never talk about it again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Teek posted:

Still thought it would have been nice for Lucasfilm to do the EU die-hards a solid and write one final wrap-up story for that universe. Reference everything, good and bad, and go out with a bang. Then never talk about it again.

This was what Crucible was supposed to be; but about midway through writing, they called up Troy Denning and told him to seed lots of future plot points in.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Teek posted:

They were doing that with the New Jedi Order (which is where the old EU should have ended) and then they just kept going and it wasn't pretty.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
What mind altering drugs convinced you that that would be received with anything but death threats and nerd rage. "They are KILLING OUR UNIVERSE so J.J. Hackbrams can replace it with his garbage!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teek posted:

Oh yeah I'm sure that's an accomplishable task that wouldn't lead to hurt EU fanboys feelings and whining about "underwhelming" things.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

So SWTOR still continually getting story expansions doesn't count as "continuing the EU" then? :confused:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The kotor stuff is in a pretty special place canon-wise.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kainser posted:

The kotor stuff is in a pretty special place canon-wise.

No it isn't. It's explicitly Legends.

Cross-Section posted:

So SWTOR still continually getting story expansions doesn't count as "continuing the EU" then? :confused:

Eh. Often seen as "not enough" or disconnected entirely from the post RotJ storyline.

You are completely right though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Where the gently caress is my comic explaining 3P0's silver lower leg I'd ANH? RICHARRRRRRRRRDS!? :doom:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I like this Agent Terex guy from the new Poe Dameron issue. He's so cocky, sassy, and relaxed.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I like this Agent Terex guy from the new Poe Dameron issue. He's so cocky, sassy, and relaxed.

I'm reading his dialogue with a French accent.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It was a good idea to get a sassy cocky villain to the sassy cocky hero. I'm having fun with this comic.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So turns out the Vader ongoing comic is coming to an end as Issue #25. They had a planned story arc and are actually wrapping it up rather than stretch it on forever. I'm actually pretty okay with that

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's surprising but I won't really complain.

That'll be the end of Gillen working for Marvel, too.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I've loved the book, but if they've come to the end of their story it's better to wrap it up rather than drag it on just for the sake of sales. It's been a great run. It another creative team comes up with a solid idea they can always restart it with a Vol 2 and a new #1, and Marvel loves their #1s.

Wonder if they have the same idea in mind for the main Star Wars book. Couldn't hurt there either and maybe it would free up Aaron to get Southern Bastards out more than once every six months. :mad:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dunbar posted:

I've loved the book, but if they've come to the end of their story it's better to wrap it up rather than drag it on just for the sake of sales. It's been a great run. It another creative team comes up with a solid idea they can always restart it with a Vol 2 and a new #1, and Marvel loves their #1s.

Wonder if they have the same idea in mind for the main Star Wars book. Couldn't hurt there either and maybe it would free up Aaron to get Southern Bastards out more than once every six months. :mad:

I am pretty sure that's an art issue as none of his other books have such delays.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

jivjov posted:

So turns out the Vader ongoing comic is coming to an end as Issue #25. They had a planned story arc and are actually wrapping it up rather than stretch it on forever. I'm actually pretty okay with that

Awwww. :( I loved the hell out of the book.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I hope we get a Dr. Aphra or BT-1/000 series soon.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Like there's any way Aphra gets out of #25 alive. She's no Dash Rendar!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I'm surprised they're ending Vader with it selling so highly. I thought they'd keep it going up to Return of Jedi or Empire Strikes Back.

I wonder if they'll replace it with another ongoing or a mini series?

Vader might take a bigger role in the main Star Wars comic now his own book is over. His focus now he's re-secured his place would be hunting Luke 24/7.

edit: Confirmed another ongoing will take it's place.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 17, 2016

KReader
Feb 21, 2011

OhFunny posted:

edit: Confirmed another ongoing will take it's place.

Any more details as to what that'll be?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
I'm a confused by the resolution of the egg situation in Poe Damron. Did two creatures hatch? Did one die? Did they merge into one creature off-panel? What was the point of that set-piece?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

plainswalker75 posted:

I'm a confused by the resolution of the egg situation in Poe Damron. Did two creatures hatch? Did one die? Did they merge into one creature off-panel? What was the point of that set-piece?

I think to be a weird thing. Both were in the same egg. The dark one laser spewed the white one to death.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

The new han solo series looks like it'll be fun, the art is good.

edit: it continues to be fun!! Loving Poe Dameron too.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 7, 2016

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Where the he'll are the traaaaaades

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

ShineDog posted:

Where the he'll are the traaaaaades

The Obi-Wan and Anakin trade came out yesterday.

These new special forces Stormtroopers are rad.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm surprised the Obi-Wan/Anakin TPB hit so quickly. Didn't that series just wrap up a handful of weeks ago? I'm used to there being a 6-month+ gap before the trade.

And yeah, I hope the special forces troopers are a recurring set of characters.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Holy poo poo, that line from Aphra about the Emperor in yesterday's Darth Vader was loving hysterical.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

OhFunny posted:

The Obi-Wan and Anakin trade came out yesterday.

These new special forces Stormtroopers are rad.

I''m digging the Imperial Commando vibes they give off. I'd like to read an ongoing from the perspective of the regular Imperial forces.

I recall one of the first comic arcs I ever read through single issues was an arc of Star Wars: Empire where the Imperials land on an unsettled planet, and end up in a horrifying fight against the native population. I loved that story, and I'd like more Star Wars stuff like that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of the old John Wagner Boba Fett comics (Enemy of the Empire) had that in its backstory.

It was on of the order entries in the EU - it came out in 1999 so it was part of the flood of stuff that accompanied Episode I but it felt more like it would have fit in better with the Bantam era stuff that preceded it.

It was actually a similar situation then as it is now - new film coming out for the first time in ages and a whole lot of new material coming with it, and nobody was quite sure whether the old stuff would still count (there's a panel where Stackpole explained that when the licence for Star Wars novels switched to Del Rey around the time TPM came out, they were thinking of making a completely clean break with the older EU stuff like Disney has done now).

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Han Solo series owns

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I've been reading the older Dark Horse comics and I think the newer Marvel stuff is really putting most of it to shame. Especially when it comes to the quality of the art.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I disagree, except the art part. DH never could get good artists for SW.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Star Wars Tales was the best thing to come out of Darkhorse's ownership of Star Wars comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Roth posted:

Star Wars Tales was the best thing to come out of Darkhorse's ownership of Star Wars comics.

It's a bit of a mixed bag, but that's true of any anthology comic.