Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Played Sorceress run for the first time, then found a healing shrine on the last floor. Let myself get lazy since I could just heal up 14 hearts of damage over the course of the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
good to know:

the crosshair is a bit of a lie. When aiming at the bottom half of the screen, your shots come out a little above the crosshair. It depends on which gun you're holding, too - some point closer to the apparent crosshair, some farther.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Zorodius posted:

good to know:

the crosshair is a bit of a lie. When aiming at the bottom half of the screen, your shots come out a little above the crosshair. It depends on which gun you're holding, too - some point closer to the apparent crosshair, some farther.

Yeah there is something funky with the crosshair and actual shot locations in the game.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Power of Pecota posted:

The Proton Pack and Moonscraper are both pretty good.

Proton Pack is good simply because it homes and does better damage than most. Moonscraper is hell of overrated imo. Sure, it bounces, but it does negligible DPS (same as most of the beam weapons). Not sure if it's confirmation bias or what that has created a consensus that it's good. Looking powerful != being powerful. Basic bullet-based firearms do more DPS.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Proton Pack is good simply because it homes and does better damage than most. Moonscraper is hell of overrated imo. Sure, it bounces, but it does negligible DPS (same as most of the beam weapons). Not sure if it's confirmation bias or what that has created a consensus that it's good. Looking powerful != being powerful. Basic bullet-based firearms do more DPS.

Unicorn horn is also pretty good as the beam can catch extra guys in it with the lightning bits, overall probably as good as the proton pack with the caveat that the music it makes is somewhat annoying (to me)

The knockback on it is also insanely strong

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Moonscraper is really good for shooting around corners. It's not the best weapon out there, but it's good for floor clearing, so it's a weapon I like getting.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The Tangler is actually a pretty solid shotgun for floor clearing all the way to the end, despite suffering from a limited effective range.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Megaman arm is my favorite floor clearing weapon. I assume eventually charge shots drop off in power though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nevvy Z posted:

Megaman arm is my favorite floor clearing weapon. I assume eventually charge shots drop off in power though.

Nah, the Megahand is good all the way through. It's not that good for bosses, but it's extremely ammo efficient, and can serve as a great floor clearing weapon throughout the entire game.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Similarly the Dungeon Eagle works well for general use but the charge-time hurts its DPS during boss fights.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
any weapon is good until a full charge or full clip is not enough to kill a single enemy, which happens at various floors for various items. mega hand has the advantage of allowing uncharged shots as well, which can be used to finish off enemies with only a sliver of health remaining, and the knockback is good so it's not a disaster either way if it doesn't get an instant kill

i like beam weapons more than most people here because you won't be interrupted by reloading and almost all of them have knockback which can keep enemies away for an extended period of time. taking a gamma ray into the forge might be tedious, but it'll also keep you safe for the most part while you plink away at rooms

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Two things I think need to be changed with Gungeon:

1. Money can't drop into pits.
2. Transmorgified enemies give money.

At least every time I've turned an enemy into a chicken, I never got any money from them.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Kuros posted:

At least every time I've turned an enemy into a chicken, I never got any money from them.

I could be wrong but I think money that falls in pits is still collected at the end. Ammo boxes that for some reason spawn right over pits can't be collected though and it is very frustrating to lose all of your Mines drops to pits.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Actually if money falls into a pit it just appears on top of you. Point 2 definitely needs to happen though.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Digirat posted:

Actually if money falls into a pit it just appears on top of you.

I never noticed this I guess.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Apparently there are two more transformations you can attain by gathering certain weapons/items in the same playthrough. There is the Beholster form, which you can get by getting all his weapons: The Eye of the Beholster, the Comm4ndo, the Machine Pistol, and the Void Marshal.
And then there's
(some pretty huge spoilers here)
a form related to the flavour text on the Gilded Hydra. It consists of the seven items referencing Edwin, the first Gunsmith, and it might be related to a secret ending or character of some sort that hasn't been discovered yet. Gathering all of these in one run is going to be tricky, as a lot of the items are quite rare.

Kuros posted:

Money that drops into pits is automatically teleported to you, you won't lose it.
As for the transmogrify money. Eh, I just see it as the cost of using a weapon capable of oneshotting even the strongest normal enemies. It might be intended.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
It is good practice to tap a treasure chest with your gun before attempting to open it. Sometimes it is a mimic and its worth the small effort to save a key and some damage.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

If you are after a roguelite shmup/bullet hell game but aren't really enjoying Gungeon I recommend Deathstate. Although it is a single stick shooter so more focus is on the dodging, there is no issue with getting cool stuff and being without ammo/keys.
You get loads of power up items: swords which alter your attacks, books that add additional attacks, relics that cast various spells and ingesting organs from champion enemies/bosses can give a variety of bonuses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tr1-6GMWeY

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Sage Grimm posted:

Similarly the Dungeon Eagle works well for general use but the charge-time hurts its DPS during boss fights.

Dungeon Eagle actually sucks without any upgrades. A charged shot won't even kill a normal bullet-kin on later floors.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Nevvy Z posted:

It's one of the best guns accounting for how relatively low rarity it is. With just one damage upgrade you can oneshot trash enemies in the bonus floor which is really good, with the charged shot.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I should mention re: beam weapons that I think the unicorn horn thing is way worse than it should be because the rainbow animation makes it harder for me to identify what's going on with bullets nearby. I don't know if that's just my broken brain or what.

Kuros posted:

I was showing the game to a friend this weekend and when he played through the tutorial, he spoke to Manuel from below and the health kit fell directly into the water.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Beam weapons would be pretty good duct taped to any other gun that works with autoaim, now that I think about it.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I just really like duct tape, despite the fact you have to be extremely careful to not ruin two perfectly good guns.

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

It is good practice to tap a treasure chest with your gun before attempting to open it. Sometimes it is a mimic and its worth the small effort to save a key and some damage.

If you wait a few seconds you can see mimic chests breathing.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Sweet thread tag!

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Holy poo poo I did not expect Bundle of Wands to be as outrageously powerful as it is :aaaaa:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Holy poo poo I did not expect Bundle of Wands to be as outrageously powerful as it is :aaaaa:

Yeah, that thing is a loving nightmare, it's amazing. Try opening up on Treadnought or some other beefy boss with it; it carves a respectable chunk off the lifebar with every blast. :stare:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Hexagun, Witch Pistol, and Bundle of Wands are all very powerful.

There's a huge disconnect between how good non-homing beam weapons are for me between mouse + keyboard and controller. I can't hit poo poo with the devil head gun with a controller, but if I can hold the mouse cursor over an enemy with it, it's super strong.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

This might be common knowledge but I wasn't aware: if you're fighting a boss and an add hits you it doesn't matter unless the boss does. I don't think I've ever noticed because I usually tilt enough to take another hit of damage when it happens and I'm guessing I'm not the only one.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I guess I've got gud after 70 deaths because I just back to back cleared pilot and marines pasts. Also AU gun duct taped to a scrambler is a mean boss killer.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

http://steamcommunity.com/games/311690/announcements/detail/965270081474978411

quote:

Teleporters will no longer spawn in the way of traps (rolling logs or projectile traps)
Performance improvements for the Forge
The Lead God acheivement now correctly unlocks the Super Hot Watch
Map zoom level will no longer reset each floor
Fixed an issue where enemies could spawn inside of sarcophagi
Fixed a problem where homing modifiers would cause genade launcher rounds to angle away from targets
Chests and health pickups now have more descriptive icons on the map
Decreased the quality of the Chaos Ammolet (will spawn more often in lower level chests and less often in black chests)
Pushing a table into another room will no longer cause it to become invisible
Fixed an issue with reflected bullet directions for some enemy projectiles
Fixed an issue where the Kill Pillars could be injured from blanks fired in adjacent rooms
Fixed an issue where the electric guitar would fire extremely quickly if you left an amp on the previous floor
Blizzbulons that die in pits will no longer reappear when you reenter the room
Homing modifiers will no longer allow the Black Hole Gun projectiles to live forever
Fixed a visual bug that occurs when completing <REDACTED> (final secret floor)
Players can no longer get stuck on Trorc's (truck merchant's) display in the Breach
The cop will no longer immediately die if acquired in the Forge
Gun selection hotkeys on the keyboard now only affect the player using the keyboard (in coop)

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
Things I learned today:
a) If you get max curse, just restart. The Lord of the Jammed follows you in to boss rooms.
b) The Clone is the worst thing in the world. When you die, you go back to level 1 with all your stuff. I died at the Dragun.
c) Special rooms are kind of buggy. The Gunsling king didn't let me go again, but Winston did.
d) The game doesn't respond well to infinite massive bees. I had Angry Bullets, Fat Bullets, +1 Bullets, Alpha Bullets, the Backup Gun, Double Vision and the Potion of Gun Friendship. I fired the Stinger once and was reduced to ~2fps until I took 12 hits and died.

MorphineMike fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 20, 2016

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

The SAA pistol owns, and it such a good sidearm for the whole game.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Digirat posted:

Fixed a problem where homing modifiers would cause genade launcher rounds to angle away from targets

Yeah, I had a run where grenades would just oscillate sort of towards the target, but not really.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Lol Fat Bullets synergizes with Table Tech Rockets

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Waffle! posted:

Lol Fat Bullets synergizes with Table Tech Rockets

Yeah. Awesome to flip a table and have it double in size before rocketing off into the sunset

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

MorphineMike posted:

b) The Clone is the worst thing in the world. When you die, you go back to level 1 with all your stuff. I died at the Dragun.

Naw, man, you can go through again and get more poo poo. It sucks if you have somewhere to be but its basically a guaranteed Dragun kill. I had like 3 different ammo upgrades, 8 health and 9000 guns by the end.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
TFW you are 4/5 boss mastery so far and doing some serious work in the Forge and the game crashes... Had Medallion of Courage and a Stinger for ez boss kills :(

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Got to bullet hell for the first time with nothing but 4 anvil shots left because the game dropped 2 ammo boxes the entire game. Nothing like a slow drag to an inevitable loss with nothing but the starter pistol on floor 6. I've had this happen a lot on floor 4 but this is a new record for Bad.

The runs where you actually get enough ammo to have fun are great but this is happening so many times that I'm pretty close to done waiting for the loving RNG to let them happen. I would just play the gungame mode because it's awesome, except the devs went out of their way to make sure you can enjoy it as little as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I've gotta stop playing this game while high. Despite how fun it is my reactions are just not quick enough to deal with the lower floors and if I get hit I get hellll flustered and just lose chunks of health.

I've never really had an issue with not getting enough guns or ammo but I usually use the Convict or Hunter. I can imagine it happening with the Pilot but his whole gimmick is just a huge dice roll.