Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
I love the Executioner Greatsword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Maybe it's just a matter of getting gud, but I feel like a lot of weapons just aren't viable in this game :( In DS2 I had no problem doing whatever gimmick build I could come up with (be that daggers, swords, maces or all sorts of weird hybrids), but in this game there are so many enemies that I can't deal with without certain moves/shields/ranged attacks. For example, Daggers (and a lot of other non-Straight Sword weapons) deal terrible damage and have no way of dealing with a lot of the situations the game throws at you. Same with Thrusting Swords, and to a lesser extent Curved Swords. It's like the game expects you to either be able to block, guard break or stunlock and tailors encounters around that design.

The AI is a lot better and I think it worked well for Bloodborne since you could regain your health, but I feel like the improved AI instead narrows your options in this game.

Re: thrusting swords--give the Estoc a try. That thing is a beast (and has a guard break on its weapon art!).

Straight swords are still the most versatile and reliable weapons, but after the 1.04 greatsword (and two ultra greatsword) buffs, I think the issue is less dramatic now. There are a lot of extremely viable heavy weapons. All the regular greatswords are much improved, as are the Astora Greatsword and Zweihander, and the other ultra greatswords, great hammers, and great axes have been good all along. I think there was sort of just an adjustment period with the speed of play and learning how to use heavy weapons around that.

The dual-weapons are all great, too, especially the dual-maces (Drang Hammers).

The weapon balance still isn't amazing--most spears are still hot garbage, damage-wise--but it's not to the point that anything other than a straight sword just isn't viable. Spears just need some help. But gimmick builds are absolutely still possible. Daggers might be a huge pain but that quickstep weapon art goes a long way.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 19, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

punk rebel ecks posted:

So, now due to Dark Souls III actually being difficult like the first Dark Souls, can we disparage the myth of Dark Souls II not being easier than Dark Souls as its excuse was "the game didn't get any easier you just got better".

Dark Souls 2 is IMO quite a bit harder than DS1, mostly because it has way more enemies per zone, more zones with enemies that block your path, and a lot more "bullshit" sections; the poison spitting statues, everything in Iron Keep, the absolutely bafflingly long gauntlet to get to Drangleic Castle. It's harder, and also less fun/interesting as a result.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Aldrich: Plip. Plop. Plip. Plop. Splish. Splash. Splish. Splash.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Demon King was such bullshit. Dodging felt like a complete crapshoot when you went into melee range. Luckily I was able to bait his specific attacks in the last half of the fight by running away. Felt little unsatisfying though.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

LoG posted:

I love the Executioner Greatsword.

I found that and the Firekeeper's Set, and ever since I've been cosplaying as Severian from The Book of the New Sun. It's pretty great. I just need to get my faith up high enough to cast some miracles and I'll pretty much never stop co-oping with this guy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I'm still willing to throw down that Yhorm is the same species of giant as those in DS2 :colbert:

he is.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Dark Souls 2 is IMO quite a bit harder than DS1

I feel like the games in this franchise have been pretty linearly getting harder, other than Dark Souls being easier than the beginning of Demon's Souls. I'm legitimately impressed by the people who jumped in with Bloodborne or DkS3 and didn't just get stonewalled.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

So, now due to Dark Souls III actually being difficult like the first Dark Souls, can we disparage the myth of Dark Souls II not being easier than Dark Souls as its excuse was "the game didn't get any easier you just got better".

Dark Souls III's levels are pretty hard but I'm finding the bosses to be pretty easy overall, with a couple of standout exceptions.

You might be finding Dark Souls III to be harder than Dark Souls II because the build you posted was straight-up baffling to a lot of us. It actually made a lot of sense as a Dark Souls 1 PvE build--stack Endurance and you can kinda just power through anything, just watch ENB's "From the Dark" playthrough where he basically never levels Vitality and starts by pumping Endurance sky-high--but not as a DS3 build.

I kinda stand by "the game didn't get any easier, you just got better," if only because my Dark Souls 1 experience let me basically steamroll Demon's Souls and I still see people talking about how hard that game is.

Dark Souls II was also easier to cheese, so maybe that's part of why some people found it easier. Sorcery and hexes were (and kinda still are) really good and, until the first DLC came out, miracles just trivialized the whole thing.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Your Computer posted:

Maybe it's just a matter of getting gud, but I feel like a lot of weapons just aren't viable in this game :( In DS2 I had no problem doing whatever gimmick build I could come up with (be that daggers, swords, maces or all sorts of weird hybrids), but in this game there are so many enemies that I can't deal with without certain moves/shields/ranged attacks. For example, Daggers (and a lot of other non-Straight Sword weapons) deal terrible damage and have no way of dealing with a lot of the situations the game throws at you. Same with Thrusting Swords, and to a lesser extent Curved Swords. It's like the game expects you to either be able to block, guard break or stunlock and tailors encounters around that design.

The AI is a lot better and I think it worked well for Bloodborne since you could regain your health, but I feel like the improved AI instead narrows your options in this game

Do you feel that it's possible to do any gimmick built in SotFS DS2? I can see it for base DS2, but I don't know how much SotFS changed the base game because I never played it.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Wolnir is perhaps the coolest looking and most disappointing boss of the entire franchise, holy poo poo. It was over in under two minutes.

The real difficulty of the fight comes from the fact that my game crashed right after it.

Edit: Christ on a bike, the Boreal Valley is gorgeous :stare:

HnK416 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 19, 2016

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Anyone got the bonewheel shield yet? Does it take infusions well?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
All I remember was how my rapier was literally incapable of hitting crystal lizards in Dark Souls 2.

But yeah, SotFS balanced so much that pretty much everything was viable. I loved it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Like Albrecht There's no reason to suggest that Gwyndolin was alive when Albrecht found him, since I definitely always take the time to murder his twink rear end to death. That said, it makes perfect sense also that upon his "defeat" Gwyndolin, being a God, doesn't just up and die; maybe he magics away, or is reduced to soul energy, and over the years slowly nurses his wound, or exists in a transient state, until Albrecht comes and finds his corpse or barely living body and starts chowing down.

Well, Pontiff's soul states that Pontiff Sulyvahn of Irithyll imprisoned a god of the old royalty in the abandoned cathedral, to be fed to the devourer. so I'd assume it's canon that you never killed him. Speaking of, Pontiff is the craziest person in DS3 and the amount of poo poo he did/caused is insane.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Since when is it a "myth" that playing a bunch of DS1 makes DS2 easier? :confused: I'm sure there are valid criticisms against DS2 but the difficulty is hardly one.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

HnK416 posted:

Wolnir is perhaps the coolest looking and most disappointing boss of the entire franchise, holy poo poo. It was over in under two minutes.

The real difficulty of the fight comes from the fact that my game crashed right after it.

Actually it's the Dancer. Wolnir looks cool but it's an obvious gimmick boss. Dancer looks like she's going to be a crazy epic fight then dies after doing a whole lot of nothing.

Genocyber posted:

The Deep seems like a different thing than the Abyss. It seems to be more strongly associated with the sea and insects than humanity, though it is certainly similar to the Abyss given the magic associated with it is hex-type stuff. The main reason I think it's different is that some item or other mentions that the Deep used to be a sacred place before being corrupted. Perhaps the Deep was born from the corruption of the Abyss, and it became its own thing.

Coincidentally i was watching a YouTube video on Kanji last week and the guy mentioned that Abyss is literally 'deep sea'. Not sure if that affects anything.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Dark Souls 2 is IMO quite a bit harder than DS1, mostly because it has way more enemies per zone, more zones with enemies that block your path, and a lot more "bullshit" sections; the poison spitting statues, everything in Iron Keep, the absolutely bafflingly long gauntlet to get to Drangleic Castle. It's harder, and also less fun/interesting as a result.

I very much agree with this. I don't think its harder in the sense that Souls games are usually hard; its cheap like a bad SNES game. DS2 crawled all the way up its own arse with the whole "prepare to die" thing and seemed designed to make the player rack up as many deaths as possible. It was basically incapable of thoughtful encounter/level design.

Excluding DS2 being awful cheap bullshit, and DS1 being my entry point and thus the one I struggled with most due to having to learn it, I think Bloodborne is the hardest and Demon's Souls the easiest.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Finally got my copy after Amazon fuckery. Are shields still a good go to? I'm not always the best at dodging so I like a buffer for mistakes.

Also is there anything that's "I wish I knew this before I started" that's specific to this game (and not the series in general)?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I feel like the games in this franchise have been pretty linearly getting harder, other than Dark Souls being easier than the beginning of Demon's Souls. I'm legitimately impressed by the people who jumped in with Bloodborne or DkS3 and didn't just get stonewalled.

Bloodborne is actually a fair bit more forgiving than a lot of its predecessors, DLC excluded. The combat engine is more "action" based, there's less delays to attack, you can quickly roll out of attacks and parrying is fast, fluid, and pretty easy to do, compared to the much tighter and more risky parrying of the Souls games.

Bloodborne also only has one correct "style" to its combat, meaning it's easier to learn how to play and thus easier to dive into researching which weapon movesets you want.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

voltcatfish posted:

Do you feel that it's possible to do any gimmick built in SotFS DS2? I can see it for base DS2, but I don't know how much SotFS changed the base game because I never played it.

SotFS didn't really change that much, in my opinion. It's less friendly for gimmicks than vanilla DS2 probably, but that's because of a single area which they completely hosed up. If you do Iron Keep in SotFS without a bow and/or a shield you're gonna have a bad time.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Quick newbie question. Yoel of Londor gives you free levels now and then exchange for hollowing status. What does that mean exactly?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HnK416 posted:

Edit: Christ on a bike, the Boreal Valley is gorgeous :stare:

Yep, that area is beautiful. My favorite area, visually, in the game.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

BigRed0427 posted:

Quick newbie question. Yoel of Londor gives you free levels now and then exchange for hollowing status. What does that mean exactly?

Just let the nice man keep giving you candy.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Ok so I got a strat for King of the Storm-

stand just in front of the dragon's head, not by his feet. You have a better view of what he's doing, and can move in to hit the head/neck when he attacks. If the dragon roars and flies up, start rolling backwards. I can beat this phase pretty easily now, but then I get immediately pasted on the second :sigh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Hollowing is purely cosmetic. It makes you look like a beef jerky zombie when you die until you use a Purging Stone. It has no negative mechanical effects. It does give you extra Luck if you use a Hollow-infused weapon.

As for Yoel, get five levels from him before you finish the Farron Keep area and you can start a special and pretty cool quest line.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I feel like DS2 is easily the hardest of the three games. Last year I went straight from 1 to 2 (Scholar), and found that even early fights like the Pursuer were beyond what first game had taught me to deal with. It was a continuation of the learning curve rather than a reset.

What I'm finding with 3 is that individual sections are quite intense, but they're also much shorter due to the frequent bonfire placement, so progression turns out to not be that harrowing. It's very different from DS1, which was all about long gauntlets that wore you down gradually.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I wonder why the Painting Guardian Sword isn't a dual-wield weapon.

So many strange decisions in this game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

It opens up one of the endings, and the only downside is turning into beef jerky. If you care about how your character looks that means you're gonna want to spend a ring slot on the "look like a human" ring, but the rings in this game aren't that good anyway so..

Wagrid posted:

I very much agree with this. I don't think its harder in the sense that Souls games are usually hard; its cheap like a bad SNES game. DS2 crawled all the way up its own arse with the whole "prepare to die" thing and seemed designed to make the player rack up as many deaths as possible. It was basically incapable of thoughtful encounter/level design.

Excluding DS2 being awful cheap bullshit, and DS1 being my entry point and thus the one I struggled with most due to having to learn it, I think Bloodborne is the hardest and Demon's Souls the easiest.

Prepare to Die was DS1 though :eng99:

People are so selectively angry at DS2. What about the entirety of DS1's endgame? The Tomb of Giants, the eye-searing Dragon-butt paradise, etc. I also feel like this game (DS3) had some even worse SNES-style "gently caress you" moments at the very end, specifically around the end of Lothric Castle. It feels like it's designed to be run through, which isn't very Souls-like.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

So... the King, in the Archdragon peak.

How do you deal with the attack in the first phase where he flies up and breathes fire straight down? It seems to have little wind up or warning and covers a huge area, plus you can't actually see where he is. Put on a dragoncrest shield and pray?

Also, the wind wall attack both he and the dragon do- how do?

Figuring out how to not get him to do this was the key to this fight for me.

You need to stay right in front of the dragon's head for as much of the fight as possible. Don't go underneath where it's safe. Don't run far away where it's safe. Stay right where all his normal attacks are going to try to hit you and dodge them. He'll never do that terrible flame attack.

Wagrid posted:

Get hit once then hammer the roll button once you get back up and you should survive it.

That attack loving sucks and that was the best counter I could come up with.

This is what I was doing originally but man I cannot imagine having been able to beat that fight by tanking that every time. I needed my estus for the final phase. Preventing it entirely is the way to go.

Mazerunner posted:

Ok so I got a strat for King of the Storm-

stand just in front of the dragon's head, not by his feet. You have a better view of what he's doing, and can move in to hit the head/neck when he attacks. If the dragon roars and flies up, start rolling backwards. I can beat this phase pretty easily now, but then I get immediately pasted on the second :sigh:

Oops I was too slow you figured it out already.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Y'know what strikes me about that famous Bartholomew trailer is that "Prepare to Die" is there, but people forget that it then goes through Prepare to Fight, Struggle, Suffer, Endure, and then Live. It was actually totally appropriate: it's a game about facing what seems like inevitable death and somehow surviving. It's pretty hopeful.

Then the PC version was just Prepare to Die Edition and it was all downhill from there.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Your Computer posted:

It opens up one of the endings, and the only downside is turning into beef jerky. If you care about how your character looks that means you're gonna want to spend a ring slot on the "look like a human" ring, but the rings in this game aren't that good anyway so..

People are so selectively angry at DS2. What about the entirety of DS1's endgame? The Tomb of Giants, the eye-searing Dragon-butt paradise, etc. I also feel like this game (DS3) had some even worse SNES-style "gently caress you" moments at the very end, specifically around the end of Lothric Castle. It feels like it's designed to be run through, which isn't very Souls-like.

tomb of the giants is cool. lothric castle seemed like a normal level to me? they throw shortcuts at you like crazy. I was kinda disappointed it was the one of last few levels. I really liked it, but I just wish there were more dark souls 3. also many of the rings are p fantastic.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Your Computer posted:

Right, that is my complaint. They seem to have turned a corny subtitle into the driving design philosophy of the sequel.

Tomb of the Giants and Lost Izalith being poo poo doesn't make the parts of Dark Souls II that are poo poo (its all of them) less poo poo.

Wagrid fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 19, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wagrid posted:

Right, that is my complaint. They seem to have turned a corny subtitle into the driving design philosophy of the sequel.

Tomb of the Giants being poo poo doesn't make the parts of Dark Souls II that are poo poo (its all of them) less poo poo.

Sounds to me like someone didn't git gud.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Shieldless, no magic Abyss watcher fight put my heart in my mouth, goddamn.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Dark Souls 2 is responsible for me playing and loving this franchise so it has that going for it at least

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Finally getting some time to play and even though I suck at this series it remains one of my favorites just for the sense of gently caress YEAH when you finally get past something like a boss that has been killing you.

Whats the total count of bosses in game by the way? I went to look at the wiki but they didnt have a count, just a list and I didnt want to spoil anything for myself.

FlyingCowOfDoom fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 19, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I don't think Wolnir is specifically who people say he is, but I think the nod to DS2 is clear in his description.

So many of the bosses and events in this game seem to be a "well, this is how it COULD have happened".

Like Albrecht There's no reason to suggest that Gwyndolin was alive when Albrecht found him, since I definitely always take the time to murder his twink rear end to death. That said, it makes perfect sense also that upon his "defeat" Gwyndolin, being a God, doesn't just up and die; maybe he magics away, or is reduced to soul energy, and over the years slowly nurses his wound, or exists in a transient state, until Albrecht comes and finds his corpse or barely living body and starts chowing down.

Much more mysterious is how Alby got Nito's weapon. Who did he eat? Nito's just bones and...bones...

He was still alive.

Yorshka was given her chime by her brother, the former Darkmoon Knight Captain, who is Gwyndolin.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Your Computer posted:

I also feel like this game (DS3) had some even worse SNES-style "gently caress you" moments at the very end, specifically around the end of Lothric Castle. It feels like it's designed to be run through, which isn't very Souls-like.

huh

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

flowinprose posted:

I finally beat it solo, but god what a pain in the rear end.

Soul level 51, using a +7 mace.

I used the dragon crest shield and stayed primarily towards the side with his fire sword.

Level up more to like 60 or 70

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

tomb of the giants is cool. lothric castle seemed like a normal level to me? they throw shortcuts at you like crazy. I was kinda disappointed it was the one of last few levels. I really liked it, but I just wish there were more dark souls 3. also many of the rings are p fantastic.

More specifically, I'm thinking of the bridge before the Prince's chamber. That was like what, 5 Red-eyed Knights and 8 Hollows at once? You can deal with them easily by running away or plinking at them outside their leash radius, but neither of those are good design. Also I could have been more clear about the rings, there are a couple of great rings but having 3 slots instead of 4 isn't as bad as in DS2 (especially if you were going for RoBFlynn).

Let's pray for a bunch of DLC because DS3 is so good :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Finally getting some time to play and even though I suck at this series it remains one of my favorites just for the sense of gently caress YEAH when you finally get past something that boss that has been killing you.

Whats the total count of bosses in game by the way? I went to look at the wiki but they didnt have a count, just a list and I didnt want to spoil anything for myself.

16 by my count not sure if that's right tho.