Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

be nice wicka posted:

but again, this has nothing to do with what he's saying

It is though, he's talking about promoting the sport in order to strengthen it as a brand and bring new fans and money in Senna passively promoted the sport and brought international fans into it simply by being Senna, in his home country he actively promoted it by saving the lives of tens of millions of poor people. If you look at the current grid, Alonso brought an entire country into the sport, the massive crowed in Mexico were in part down to there being a Mexican driver on the grid, Rio has millions of new Indonesian fans tuning in to support him, the Chinese have made Kimi their guy for unexplained reasons, Kvyat has the Russians watching and a stand named after him and so on. English speaking media don't report on what forrins do in their home countries so we get a very warped view of things.

Lewis may be doing a great job promoting himself on social media but it's a teenage audience, the adult fan base who actually buy race tickets are abandoning him like a sinking ship and switching to Palmer or Pascal Nameiwillneverbeabletospell. It's also rather unfair of him to say other drivers do nothing when those poor bloody Toro Rosso drivers are made to do all of those Red bull events when they are not racing while he's cocking about in America wearing silly clothing. I suspect Marko has a cage.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I agree with forums poster be nice wicka. Hammy seems to be all over the place promoting F1 to audiences that wouldn't necessarily know about it otherwise.

I still think he's a massive twat, but technically he's probably right. It doesn't mean he's the right person to promote F1 or he's doing it correctly, but he is doing quite a bit of it.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Being recognized with a Kardashian or grinding some Brazilian street performer isn't promoting a sport. I highly doubt the followers of these endeavours actually watch F1 or subsequently give a toss about it either.

e: I don't think anyone actively promotes the sport outside of scheduled media appearances and advertisements which are part of their contracts anyway.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 19, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lewis, yesterday, posted without comment.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Mormon fundamentalist chic.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Nerd Jack City.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

I agree with forums poster be nice wicka. Hammy seems to be all over the place promoting F1 to audiences that wouldn't necessarily know about it otherwise.

I still think he's a massive twat, but technically he's probably right. It doesn't mean he's the right person to promote F1 or he's doing it correctly, but he is doing quite a bit of it.

yes, exactly. it doesn't mean he's actually accomplishing anything, just that he's an F1 driver and he's everywhere. trying is the first step toward failure.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

learnincurve posted:

This conversion got bad and strange.

Lewis is being a cock again. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/i-don-t-owe-anything-to-f1-says-hamilton-688604/

edit:
aaand he's now the most hated man in formula 1 http://www.crash.net/f1/news/229574/1/hamilton-i-promote-f1-more-than-any-driver-ever-has.html

Lewis: "I actually probably promote the sport more than any other driver ever has,”

Pissed off journalist who has a point "...claiming he does more for the sport than all the other drivers on the grid combined as well as more than icons like Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher."

I didn't think I could like Their Lewis less than what I do now. I was wrong.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

learnincurve posted:

Not by a long shot even on this tiny lovely little Island. In my youth Hill and Mansell were household names and loving everywhere on mainstream TV, it's only been since the year 2000 that Satellite/Cable became a thing and for most of TV history we only had 2-4 channels and they used to be switched off for the night, and sometimes not switched on again till 12pm well into the late 90s. F1 had ludicrous viewing figures mostly because there was nothing else on TV.

Hunt, Prost, Senna, Mansell, Hill, Schumacher, Stirling moss, Jackie Stewart, John Surtees, Niki Lauder, David Coulthard, Mika Hakkinen were all bigger stars in their day here than Lewis is now. The man couldn't even win sports personality of the year after winning the 2015 championship and got less votes than a sexist racist chav boxer, when Hill and Mansell both won it twice with ease. This is without even getting in to how much Non-English drivers did for the sport in their own countries. For example Senna, Nelson Piquet and Emerson Fittipaldi for Brazil, and when Fernando Alonso started F1 wasn't even shown on Spanish TV until he started winning stuff.

Then you get into the doing more for the sport thing, What about Bruce Mclaren? Bernie started out as a driver and I doubt Lewis has done more to promote the sport than the literal promoter.

I may have read the comments sections on those articles.

And this is the truth. Britain loving loved The Lion Mansell, and Hill was dear to our hearts with the father son equation. Noone gives a gently caress about Lewis.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Hmm, I wonder what is different about Lewis that makes the British not like him as much as Mansell and Hill

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Just FYI everyone here loves Pastor.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

yea, ironically

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Lewis is a nerdy little kid from Stevenage who now has the opportunity to hang out with famous people. I find it hard to criticise him very much, even though I would probably find him very annoying to actually be around.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Fluffdaddy posted:

Hmm, I wonder what is different about Lewis that makes the British not like him as much as Mansell and Hill

Probably the fact he has fake hair installments.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

El Hefe posted:

Just FYI everyone here loves Pastor.

I was glad to see him go. Not a fan.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Britain loved Lewis when he was just some awkward kid coming from nowhere beating the cheating Spaniard in his rookie year, then he started opening his mouth and it turned out he was an egotistical little tit and it all went downhill from there really. The pussycat doll didn't help.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I like him because him just living his life the way he wants to somehow warrants lovely think pieces and pearl clutching and other weird reactions

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I wonder what the overlap is between people who think Lewis living a playboy lifestyle is outrageous and people who think Kimi is the coolest guy in F1

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

I wonder what the overlap is between people who think Lewis living a playboy lifestyle is outrageous and people who think Kimi is the coolest guy in F1

Kimi is poo poo and a drunk. But atleast he isn't constantly posting dribble to Instagram.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This is the thing, British people don't think he's a playboy or particularly outrageous, and when people I mean the middle aged middle class fans who disliked Hunt, they think he's trying too hard and dressing like a chavvy twat with too much money and no taste. We see far more drunken debauchery and shocking behaviour from every day people on a Friday night. For more information (NSFW) google Cardiff after dark.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

learnincurve posted:

This is the thing, British people don't think he's a playboy or particularly outrageous, and when people I mean the middle aged middle class fans who disliked Hunt, they think he's trying too hard and dressing like a chavvy twat with too much money and no taste. We see far more drunken debauchery and shocking behaviour from every day people on a Friday night. For more information (NSFW) google Cardiff after dark.

Honestly I find his total lameness despite trying so hard quite endearing

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

It's actually rather annoying and I get the sense that if you got a drink with him at the pub instead of having a good chat he'd be trying to impress you with all these stories of questionable validity.

Also I rate all drivers based on how much I'd like to have a drink with them.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

when did we start talking about drake

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

It's actually rather annoying and I get the sense that if you got a drink with him at the pub instead of having a good chat he'd be trying to impress you with all these stories of questionable validity.

who would you most like to have a drink with?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

1500quidporsche posted:

I rate many celebrities like this and it is in my opinion a valid option. Lewis I fear, If I went for a drink with him, would end up getting my head kicked in, in my local pub because of his twatery.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

JFairfax posted:

ricciardo
perez
grosjean

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Noone gives a gently caress about Lewis.

Well this is wrong. Positive or negative, nigh on everyone I've ever spoken to about F1 has given a gently caress about Lewis.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

JFairfax posted:

Susie Wolff.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Are Jenson looks like a man who knows where they serve a good pint.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

JFairfax posted:

Ricciardo for sure

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEZaEYPr04C/

You Lewis haters are a bunch of heartless monsters.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gret posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEZaEYPr04C/

You Lewis haters are a bunch of heartless monsters.

why does he want to fight that kid??

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

JFairfax posted:

Right now?
Alonso,
Their Jens,
Grossjean.

Maybe Big Sebs, but I think we would tell him it's a one off and see how he does.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

be nice wicka posted:

You haven't lived until you've beaten up a terminally ill child.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

be nice wicka posted:

After you've won three WDCs everything seems bland.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

What is Pastor doing this year?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Vladimir Putin should be "running" Europe and Donald Trump would make a "fantastic" American president, the Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone has claimed.

The 85-year-old chief executive of the Formula One Group added that he was “100 per cent an outer” when it came to the EU referendum and said he believed immigration has brought no benefits whatsoever to Britain.

Speaking at Advertising Week Europe in London, he told the WPP chief executive, Sir Martin Sorrell: “I think Europe has become less important, full stop.

Russian President Vladimir Putin walks to meet Palestinian National Authority
Russian President Vladimir Putin walks to meet Palestinian National Authority
As it was pointed out that he is a great admirer of Putin, Ecclestone responded: “He should be running Europe.”

Asked if he should be in Brussels "running Europe?” he replied: “No, we should get rid of Brussels and he should just be in charge.

“He does what he says he’s gonna do, he gets the job done. I mean people don’t understand exactly what he wants to do ... He wants to put Russia back to what it was.”

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump
Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump
Asked on his views of the Republican favourite, Donald Trump, he said: “I think he’d be fantastic [as president].

“I’m sure he’s much more flexible than most of them. If he’s made a mistake, he’s more likely to say: ‘It was a good idea at the time.’”

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
He said he's gonna make Germany great again. Finally our Reichsmarks will mean something again.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Helicon One posted:

What is Pastor doing this year?

he's at the gym

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
In all this racist talk about Their Lewis, I never got a real answer to why Kimi is huge in China. Although I liked the answer about them not being able to pronounce "Lewis".

• Locked thread