Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Welcome to GBS posted:

I'm not saying we don't commit fouls. But I Diego has gotten a total of two red cards in his now 6 seasons in MLS. We play the team to the level they want to bring it, but blaming the Timbers for your injury woes is pathetic. Players don't leave Providence in a wheelchair.

players get away with reckless challenges because MLS refs are bad so the fact that diego hasn't been properly punished doesn't really prove anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Hint: My team is the Galaxy.

:ca:

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

be nice wicka posted:

players get away with reckless challenges because MLS refs are bad so the fact that diego hasn't been properly punished doesn't really prove anything

You are all so loving butt hurt it's hilarious. I know refs in MLS are poo poo. But when they gently caress up, it's reviewed, and players get punished when they do stupid poo poo. Chara is cheeky, but he's also clean and like, 5'6" so tell your poo poo overpaid teams to grow a pair.

Any more of this 'Timbers are dirty' bullshit will be met exclusively with this shot. Everyone is welcome to bring up evidence of the timbers doing anything half as cold blooded as this.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Welcome to GBS posted:

Cleaner than whatever poo poo team you follow.

As a timbers fan, I disagree. Adi loves to go down really easy, Borchers had more than a handful of shirt that was rightfully called a pk, Chara doesn't get reds because everyone is confused why the little guy hurt you and took your ball away, we had Kah on our team, etc,. We aren't San Jose/Lenhart horrible monsters but don't think our players are without sin.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/04/13/yellow-card-ned-grabavoy-booked-tackle-gruezo

\/\/\/\/ I know! I'm having a wonderful time!

B.B. Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 19, 2016

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I was actually originally talking about the crappy plastic turf, but this has been an entertaining as hell derail.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

El Jebus posted:

As a timbers fan, I disagree. Adi loves to go down really easy, Borchers had more than a handful of shirt that was rightfully called a pk, Chara doesn't get reds because everyone is confused why the little guy hurt you and took your ball away, we had Kah on our team, etc,. We aren't San Jose/Lenhart horrible monsters but don't think our players are without sin.

Once again, not claiming our players are without sin. But none of them actively try and hurt someone. And that's exactly the difference between De Jong's bullshit and what Grabavoy did.

B.B. Rodriguez you are especially incompetent even for an LA sports fan.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Yeah, I think this was 5/8 as cold as the NDJ tackle, so it counts. And I say this as Timbers fan #1 since I own this blanket*.

* it was a gift. An itchy, scratchy, expensive gift that I don't have the heart to return since my dad was so happy to get it for us.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Every Montréal player is an angel and I won't hear otherwise.

Also, Joey Saputo met the pope last week:

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2016/04/15/joey-saputo-opens-%E2%80%9Csurreal%E2%80%9D-meeting-pope

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Undoubtedly to have the Pope bless Drogba's knees so they have a shot of making it through an entire season.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Welcome to GBS posted:

Once again, not claiming our players are without sin. But none of them actively try and hurt someone. And that's exactly the difference between De Jong's bullshit and what Grabavoy did.

You're hilariously deluded.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Welcome to GBS posted:

You are all so loving butt hurt it's hilarious. I know refs in MLS are poo poo. But when they gently caress up, it's reviewed, and players get punished when they do stupid poo poo. Chara is cheeky, but he's also clean and like, 5'6" so tell your poo poo overpaid teams to grow a pair.

slugger, i am a fan of none of these teams

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
jesus loving christ mls fans are the absolute worst

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Fucitol posted:

jesus loving christ mls fans are the absolute worst
Actually I'm thinking the Eastern European/Russian fans who throw bananas on the field and start riots at every local derby match are probably worse.

Probably

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

Crazy Ted posted:

Actually I'm thinking the Eastern European/Russian fans who throw bananas on the field and start riots at every local derby match are probably worse.

Probably

no, i'm pretty confident in saying mls fans are bad and they should feel bad

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

Probably

Riots vs. being a Timbers fan

your choice

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Welcome to GBS posted:

I've never felt the need to do this, but :gb2gbs:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Fantastic! You know what's funny? Your team has more fouls committed, yellow cards, and reds than mine.

Hint: My team is the Galaxy.

The Galaxy employ De Jong

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Welcome to GBS posted:

Cleaner than whatever poo poo team you follow.
Timbers fans ITT are not on your side, but please continue.

:munch:

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Seltzer posted:

The Galaxy employ De Jong

That's what makes it funny to me. We have the absolute worst, most dirtiest player in the history of evar* and still we have less fouls, yellows, and reds than the Timbers, supposedly, the Cleanest Team in MLS™.

*According to the internet last week.

edit: I'd say the American EPL/La Liga fan is the worst fan in the world, with MLS fans coming in at #4 behind Eastern European Racism and Lazio fans.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

*According to the internet last week.

You know De Jong's career has existed before the MLS right? People were joking about who he would injure when he signed for the Galaxy.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Yes I do. I even joked about it. But for all the vitriol and really fun buzzwords like 'thug' I was hearing last week, he has stayed remarkably out of trouble for his entire career. He's got only 1 red card ever.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Welcome to GBS posted:

Any more of this 'Timbers are dirty' bullshit will be met exclusively with this shot. Everyone is welcome to bring up evidence of the timbers doing anything half as cold blooded as this.

you're trippin'. making a point that de Jong is a filthy player doesn't mean the timbers are automatically cleaner.

Chara isn't "cheeky", he's a highly technical player who has no fear of professional fouls and just because he's smiling doesn't make it okay.

Powell regularly makes reckless challenges, you gonna try to say he's "cheeky" too?

feel free to go back to GBS.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
Well this is stupid. link Inevitable, it seems, but stupid all the same. I enjoyed going to Rapids games without the security theater.

quote:

Major League Soccer announced on Tuesday that it will bring security measures at MLS events in line with those of other North American professional sports leagues, with new individual screening methods upon stadium entry beginning Saturday, April 23 at all Major League Soccer matches, Soccer United Marketing games, or United Soccer League matches played at MLS venues.

Under the new policy, all guests will be fully screened, either by use of a magnetic search wand or by a pat down. Each venue will make its own decisions regarding what protocols will be used at events to reach this baseline level of security.

Additionally, all bags will be searched, and the league will now prohibit fans from bringing in large purses, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, luggage of any kind, computer bags, camera bags and any bag larger than 14-by-14-by-6 inches.

“Public safety is a top priority and the enhanced security measures will ensure that fans are able to continue to enjoy MLS and SUM events in a safe environment,’’ MLS President and Deputy Commissioner Mark Abbott said in a league statement.

Ray Whitworth, MLS’s Senior VP of Security and Operations added: “The safety of our fans, players and staff is paramount."

I've heard nothing nice about Whitworth from anyone at any point.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

metal flask -> plastic flask

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

The Fire's security let some guy get on the field during the Montreal game, where he was apparently pushed over by a player because security couldn't catch him.

Monterrey is beyond incompetent.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The lines are already bullshit to get through security, so I guess they'll be a little worse now.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
This idiotic poo poo has been happening at Gillette all season, glad to see the rest of the league is being brought down to our level.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

I wonder if this is why we all got clear tote bags a couple weeks ago at the Stub.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

DC United are a bad team with a front office that would rather sell season ticket holding GA areas to AS Roma fan clubs so they don't get embarrassed by the continued protests erupting throughout North America

If anyone calls you asking to watch a boring, awful team in a decaying stadium, ask them why they don't treat the brain damaged regulars a little better

But enough about AS Roma. :rimshot:

At least they're getting a new stadium too!

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah it's the "NFL security protocols" that are being adopted. I bought a tacticool murse from Amazon that meets their criteria. I've trained my drunken self to secure my important poo poo in a bag and I'm not trying to lose poo poo.

I wouldn't call Chara dirty at all. Sure dude fouls a lot, but almost all of his cards are persistent infringement or tactical yellows to prevent a breakaway. I can't recall any injuries he's caused.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

JayMax posted:

Every Montréal player is an angel and I won't hear otherwise.

Also, Joey Saputo met the pope last week:

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2016/04/15/joey-saputo-opens-%E2%80%9Csurreal%E2%80%9D-meeting-pope

Oh my word you mean we could legitimately do the "[team name] went to Rome to see the Pope..." chant?

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

highme posted:

tacticool murse

Mods rename me

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
BTW the Revs are doing some Brazil stuff for the Orlando game on the 30th, so if you attend, you'll get to see me do sexy dance fighting. Or more likely you'll get to see me clapping with the roda while much more skilled members of my capoeira group perform, because I am the group's Ralph Wiggum.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I've never had a problem fitting all my stuff into the pockets of my skinny jeans tbh.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

When I go to a game by myself this policy is NBD, but now you're hosed if you're A: trying to go to a game on a weeknight after work and don't have somewhere to stash your poo poo, or B: have small kids. Security Theater is bullshit regardless of where/when it's happening, but having it suck some of the enjoyment out of something I love for no good goddamn reason is infuriating.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Xylorjax posted:

When I go to a game by myself this policy is NBD, but now you're hosed if you're A: trying to go to a game on a weeknight after work and don't have somewhere to stash your poo poo, or B: have small kids. Security Theater is bullshit regardless of where/when it's happening, but having it suck some of the enjoyment out of something I love for no good goddamn reason is infuriating.

i have been "trailed" by building security into my office because i stumbled in drunk at 11pm to pick up my bag after a baseball game. it's not a good look.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Ben Olsen suspended one game and fined $500 for leaving the area to clear a stray ball during active play, MLS becomes even more draconian and insane with each passing day and NASL/USL/PDL looks better every day

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
mls is a ponzi scheme being kept afloat by expansion fees imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Ben Olsen suspended one game and fined $500 for leaving the area to clear a stray ball during active play, MLS becomes even more draconian and insane with each passing day and NASL/USL/PDL looks better every day

So, what did he actually do? Swear at a referee? That's a pretty stupid punishment, even for our dumb league.

• Locked thread