Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
So, as a player always obsessed with mobilility and fast travel I made a teleposition sigil, hoping it'd be some kind of cool blink oir something (I'm playing regrowth, and the thaumcraft blink focus looks annoying to make) and... uh yeah.

So it teleported me about 4km away outside the map so I just fell out of the world. And basically crashed my server, but not before killing me.

Wish I knew it'd do that so I could stash all my gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Fayk posted:

So, as a player always obsessed with mobilility and fast travel I made a teleposition sigil, hoping it'd be some kind of cool blink oir something (I'm playing regrowth, and the thaumcraft blink focus looks annoying to make) and... uh yeah.

So it teleported me about 4km away outside the map so I just fell out of the world. And basically crashed my server, but not before killing me.

Wish I knew it'd do that so I could stash all my gear.

Are you sure it's called a Teleposition Sigil? I googled it and it looks like a thing for moving tile entities around.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Mzbundifund posted:

A lumberjack golem should be the only golem you need for a no-RF charcoal farm. Use a hopperhock to collect logs and saplings into two barrels, a rannuncarpus adjacent to the sapling barrel to to replant saplings, an itemduct from the log barrel going into an open crate or dropper above an infernal furnace to convert logs to charcoal, use a hungry chest or another hopperhock to collect the charcoal, and pipe it to the redstone-controlled charcoal autodropper of your choice.

I thought the rannucaprus couldn't pull from barrels? Then again I haven't actually tried before but if that fails then I can probably sort something out instead.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

McFrugal posted:

Are you sure it's called a Teleposition Sigil? I googled it and it looks like a thing for moving tile entities around.

Yeah, it's a sanguimancy thing, but googling it surprisingly pops up no info.

There's also the teleposer, which is a block that can teleport things above it (players, blocks, etc) those rule and I've used them a bunch.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Krakatoah posted:

I thought the rannucaprus couldn't pull from barrels? Then again I haven't actually tried before but if that fails then I can probably sort something out instead.

Even if they can't it's not an issue. Just replace the barrel with a chest with a sapling-displaying item frame on it.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
The rannuncarpus places dropped items. It cannot pull from inventories.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Pretty easy to use a 2nd golem to plant

I think it is the use core?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Even if they can't it's not an issue. Just replace the barrel with a chest with a sapling-displaying item frame on it.

usually you use an open chest and feed items into there and if you have a hopper feeding into it with a hovering hourglass to trigger a drop every minute or so.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Krakatoah posted:

Any ideas what I could do for an endoflame feeding tree farm setup on Blightfall? I've done one before but it was a sorta-messy system with about four different golems and a handful of automagi stuff...all because I REALLY did not want to spend any RF Power. I'm wondering if it's possible to create a positive power loop using the Mana to RF block from Botania and routing excess mana to that block.

This is probably way too complicated a setup (also spoilery) but it produces all the RF I need for the (admittedly limited) poo poo I have to do in Blightfall. But it works well.

Some notes:
- Charcoal gets exported into the chest and then 1-per-moverate basic servos dripfeed the charcoal onto the endoflames. Any charcoal not immediately eaten gets sucked up by a Hopperhock a second or two later and goes back into the ME network to get exported again.

- I could also probably figure out a more optimal setup for the tree farm but this was my first time really doing anything deep in Thaumcraft so I just have a flesh and thaumium golem chopping trees and a hay one planting and I manually turn mushrooms into herba essentia for the growth lamp over on the left.

- Bothering to go into the elf stuff in Botania would (I assume) get me better spreaders and thus more output.

- My earlier-game version of this was basically the same but laid out worse and using only itemducts without any ME network stuff.

- Once the Mana Fluxfields can't produce any more power, they don't accept mana so if whatever batteries you are using are full the mana pools will just fill up rather than getting fruitlessly spread.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 19, 2016

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Fayk posted:

Yeah, it's a sanguimancy thing, but googling it surprisingly pops up no info.

There's also the teleposer, which is a block that can teleport things above it (players, blocks, etc) those rule and I've used them a bunch.

Okay it looks like it used to be a thing to move blocks/tile entities around, but got turned into a "teleport home" tool. You shift-right click it to set your home point and just right click to teleport back. I assume you used it without setting your home point first, and so it assumed you wanted to teleport back to spawn, which is over void in Blightfall, I guess.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Ah. Interesting if so. I wonder if the home point is locked per character or set per sigil. Regrowth in this case (not blightfall) but wouldn't surprise me if your conclusion is right.

Sucks to lose all my gear (just gonna be a half hour of work to remake it all probably) to what is essentially a bug, since that wasn't even worldspawn or anything.

edit: tried in creative mode/separate game and unless it just doesn't like my input keys on my laptop, coudn't even get it to set home or whatever with shift click. Bummer. Oh well!

Fayk fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 19, 2016

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

Hi do any of you have HTC Vives at all?

Because I just played Tekkit Legends in VR.

Then Blightfall (although there is some design issues like there is no way to input text with the Vive controllers, and some aspects of the dialog system don't quite fit right as a floating menu) but holy poo poo, Blightfall in VR. Actually being on the planet surface, actually being in the domes and actually walking around the ship.
We're still testing but it looks like any 1.7.10 Modpack can work with this Vive VR mod.

I have a rift, not a vive - what VR setup/mod are you using? Because I'm super interested in this.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Fayk posted:

Ah. Interesting if so. I wonder if the home point is locked per character or set per sigil. Regrowth in this case (not blightfall) but wouldn't surprise me if your conclusion is right.

Sucks to lose all my gear (just gonna be a half hour of work to remake it all probably) to what is essentially a bug, since that wasn't even worldspawn or anything.

edit: tried in creative mode/separate game and unless it just doesn't like my input keys on my laptop, coudn't even get it to set home or whatever with shift click. Bummer. Oh well!

Wait, Regrowth? ...so it sent you 5km away, then the world didn't load so you fell into the void? I don't know what's up with that, then.

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

Vib Rib posted:

IC2 (and to an only slightly lesser extent, Forestry and Railcraft) is super terrible and it's a mistake to include it in basically any pack. People cling to these old mods because they were largely the first of their kind but they never grew and evolved while all other mods moved ahead. Now they're dated relics of an era before convenient energy management or organized wiring.

Is this pretty much the consensus on IC2? I'm working on a pack where I'm more interested in just telling a story in a sci-fi setting and I included IC2 as the main tech mod just because I'm familiar with it. I really don't have any specific loyalty to the brand to be honest, I just need some machines for grinding up ores or making nitrocellulose or something, so would I be better off just swapping it out for mekanism or TE?

I've done what I can to try to address a lot of the general complaints through config changes and minetweaker, but drat, it sounds like a lot of people will never give something with IC2 the time of day.

Mr.Boofu
Mar 22, 2003
~_~

mensrea posted:

Is this pretty much the consensus on IC2? I'm working on a pack where I'm more interested in just telling a story in a sci-fi setting and I included IC2 as the main tech mod just because I'm familiar with it. I really don't have any specific loyalty to the brand to be honest, I just need some machines for grinding up ores or making nitrocellulose or something, so would I be better off just swapping it out for mekanism or TE?

I've done what I can to try to address a lot of the general complaints through config changes and minetweaker, but drat, it sounds like a lot of people will never give something with IC2 the time of day.

When I turn on a pack, if I see IC2 I delete the pack.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mensrea posted:

would I be better off just swapping it out for mekanism or TE?

a million times yes

TE and BigReactors

Khorne
May 1, 2002

mensrea posted:

Forestry is actually one of the better mods. Its power sources suck, but things like bees and tree breeding are pretty cool to do sometimes. In a specialized pack it's your call whether you want to delve into tree breeding/bees though.

IC2 is just fine. You'll never touch it in most packs if normal recipes are available for other mods. Otherwise, there's no harm in adding it if you want to give it a shot. It sounds like in your pack ic2 is a pretty decent choice because you aren't offering the other options. I suppose something like mekanism or factorization could be cool for a pack like that instead. IC2 has great tech progression and some really cool stuff these days.

Railcraft, eh. The machines constantly sap power still, rail is really inefficient in minecraft and I've never had a cool/practical setup for that. The only okay things from it are the tanks, crusher and blast furnace. Which are all out classed by the power creep of other tech mods. There's nothing wrong with railcraft these days either, but it's certainly the least cool mod of the three. It could be decent in this pack too if there's some compelling reason to build rail or some already setup/provided rail stuff. I don't know. It's one of the mods I've wanted to tinker with but probably never will.

And for a disclaimer, the first time I've personally built ic2 stuff was actually over the past month or two. I'm not someone set in their ways or attached to it due to the past.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 20, 2016

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

woah did not notice the new thread tag

MODS????

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Khorne posted:

Railcraft, eh. The machines constantly sap power still, rail is really inefficient in minecraft and I've never had a cool/practical setup for that. The only okay things from it are the tanks, crusher and blast furnace. Which are all out classed by the power creep of other tech mods. There's nothing wrong with railcraft these days either, but it's certainly the least cool mod of the three. It could be decent in this pack too if there's some compelling reason to build rail or some already setup/provided rail stuff. I don't know. It's one of the mods I've wanted to tinker with but probably never will.

Sapping power is dumb. I'm cool with ideas like boilers needing to 'warm up' et cetera. If you wanted a dumb power leeching dsystem they should just offer something like a mode toggle for something to 'keep warm' that uses some energy, or something that is slower to start if it hasn't been running in a while. I mean if you need a dumb system like that anyways.

I'm getting my first exposure to railcraft right now due to Regrowth (which I like a fair bit, but think I had more fun with Agskies1 and some of it is deinitely too grindy for me) and I don't hate it but...the rail stuff seems awfully 'WHY'. There are better ways to do most things, but more than anything, fi you were into trains this is a little disappointing. They look like these piddly little things and more than anything they seem fragile. Let me build and mount a cowcatcher on it to shovel mobs out of the way.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Playing around with Big Reactors Turbines now, and it's almost kind of a shame that the passive cooled designs are too good to make loving with turbines worthwhile most of the time. If people want to add a bit of challenge to RF, they should just disable the passive-cooled reactors, because designing an active reactor turns out to be quite neat, especially trying to feed it with enough water and steam in the first place.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Shipon posted:

Playing around with Big Reactors Turbines now, and it's almost kind of a shame that the passive cooled designs are too good to make loving with turbines worthwhile most of the time. If people want to add a bit of challenge to RF, they should just disable the passive-cooled reactors, because designing an active reactor turns out to be quite neat, especially trying to feed it with enough water and steam in the first place.

just place the turbine and reactor so their inlet and outlets touch each other and they'll transfer steam/water between each other at an infinite rate

then hook up a separate water inlet fed by a bog-standard aqueous accumulator until it has enough water inside to not need it any more

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Rail stuff is cool and the fact that Railcraft is the best rail junk out there is a drat shame

the alternatives are too ambitious and won't go anywhere

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Any mod can work in a pack as long as it makes sense and fits the design. If you want to use IC2, go for it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
IC2 is okay so long as you don't require stupid things like a full stack of plutonium.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

IC2 is okay so long as you don't require stupid things like a full stack of plutonium.

Ala gregtech :suicide:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a typical modded item that can layout a straight line of blocks quickly? I need to get players quickly spitting out the AE2 spatial pylon cages necessary for roughly a 48x16x30 volume, and that is quite tedious!

Note that a builder's wand is a no-go here because these have to be alternating strips.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a typical modded item that can layout a straight line of blocks quickly? I need to get players quickly spitting out the AE2 spatial pylon cages necessary for roughly a 48x16x30 volume, and that is quite tedious!

Note that a builder's wand is a no-go here because these have to be alternating strips.

Builders Wands are great for this, but you could also use block placers and pistons i guess.

Also you could use MFFS if it was in the pack as you can use the forcefields to place blocks

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

In that Infinity pack the IC2 was starting out ok. It made sense that you would need certain machines to do things you could do by hand, but the machine did better.

But then it wanted a reactor built when by the stage you needed the reactor you already had better option working for you. I was 3 steps back just because........

IC2 as you starting tech that gets replaced as soon as you can, i see that. But as a mid/end game solution.... your problems are f'd if IC2 is your solution :/

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Fayk posted:

Sapping power is dumb. I'm cool with ideas like boilers needing to 'warm up' et cetera. If you wanted a dumb power leeching dsystem they should just offer something like a mode toggle for something to 'keep warm' that uses some energy, or something that is slower to start if it hasn't been running in a while. I mean if you need a dumb system like that anyways.

I'm getting my first exposure to railcraft right now due to Regrowth (which I like a fair bit, but think I had more fun with Agskies1 and some of it is deinitely too grindy for me) and I don't hate it but...the rail stuff seems awfully 'WHY'. There are better ways to do most things, but more than anything, fi you were into trains this is a little disappointing. They look like these piddly little things and more than anything they seem fragile. Let me build and mount a cowcatcher on it to shovel mobs out of the way.

Power being constantly drained by machines doesn't happen with Railcraft, either (I've been playing Infinity Evolved Skyblock and specifically tested). The power "perdition" mechanic is implemented via Buildcraft pipes, so as long as you never use those, you don't have to worry. That said, Railcraft, Forestry, and Buildcraft engines will all continue to use fuel (such as steam) even if they cannot store more power or output it (some may explode or break if this happens).

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I've been playing NH and buildcraft kinesis pipes and engines don't constantly drain power. Of course, I don't have any Railcraft machines attached to the pipes.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Similsax Transtructors work great for laying out a straight line of blocks quickly. Make sure to use the 1.7 version.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Fayk posted:

It's especially disappointing when you see how big the Tunnel Bore is and wonder why everything else mobile is the size of a loving minecart.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Serifina posted:

Power being constantly drained by machines doesn't happen with Railcraft, either (I've been playing Infinity Evolved Skyblock and specifically tested). The power "perdition" mechanic is implemented via Buildcraft pipes, so as long as you never use those, you don't have to worry. That said, Railcraft, Forestry, and Buildcraft engines will all continue to use fuel (such as steam) even if they cannot store more power or output it (some may explode or break if this happens).

The therm....... something, the one that builds the transistors with 5 lapis 2 redstone (for example) when using no pipes to power it will still drain a culinary engine. Its the only thing i found that was 'always on'

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

On the Disasterpiece Theater server, we've combined Railcraft and Computercraft into a pretty neat system of train stations.

See? They're shaped like beacons. Clever! :shepface:

The Computercraft portion uses two custom Lua scripts. One's an API for the touchscreen buttons, and the other is the program that writes the screens and sends the output to a ticket machine. The ticket machine prints a ticket and feeds it into the train as it passes by.

(this shot was taken when we installed the first station, so the destinations are generic names.)

Speaking of the trains, those are housed in a train dispenser in the side of the station. We use electric trains for our system, since they don't require that fuel be loaded into them or a warm up time. Once the ticket is printed, the internals of the station dispenses a train onto the tracks(engine, chunk loader cart, empty minecart), sets the train moving forward at a slow speed, and as the train passes by the front of the station, an embarking track automatically pulls the passenger into the cart, and off they go. As the train approaches the station, it gets slowed down, rounds the station, a disembarking track pushes the rider out of the cart and onto the exit area, and then the train runs around the the back of the station and gets picked up and recycled into the system. If the passenger misses the train after the summon one, it simply rounds around the station and back into the holding chest.

As for routing, we have a main loop that runs around the server. In various spots, junctions branch off the loop. The train ticket determines where the train gets routed every time it passes by a switch inside each junction. Trains coming into the loop from each branch get routed to the most direct side of the track that puts them at their destination the fastest. It's all quite efficient and neat in how intricate and slick it presents itself to be.

If anyone wants to see how the internals work, I can post some screenshots of that a bit later.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Meskhenet posted:

The therm....... something, the one that builds the transistors with 5 lapis 2 redstone (for example) when using no pipes to power it will still drain a culinary engine. Its the only thing i found that was 'always on'

Thermionic Fabricator. That one actually has a reason, though, as it requires power to maintain enough heat to keep the glass liquid. Not a great reason, though, since you don't need the types all that often. I like to put some sort of power cutoff to that machine (IE's breaker switch is perfect).

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Serifina posted:

Thermionic Fabricator. That one actually has a reason, though, as it requires power to maintain enough heat to keep the glass liquid. Not a great reason, though, since you don't need the types all that often. I like to put some sort of power cutoff to that machine (IE's breaker switch is perfect).

It also takes redstone input. I usually just slap a lever on it and call it a day.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Cryohazard posted:

It's especially disappointing when you see how big the Tunnel Bore is and wonder why everything else mobile is the size of a loving minecart.

I was also really disappointed when I got set up making tons of steam and it turns out there's nothing bigger to use it in Buildcraft other than the little piddly industrial steam engine*

*The (ugly/boring) turbine multiblock apparently is basically IC2 only.

Also, forestry seems to have some machines that seem to use power even when not 'doing' things like the themionic fabricator. (Gotta keep that glass melted I guess)

edit: beaten, oops

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

Builders Wands are great for this, but you could also use block placers and pistons i guess.

Also you could use MFFS if it was in the pack as you can use the forcefields to place blocks
The wand is a no-go because it will want to make a wall of pylons. I need alternating strips like a cage. I don't think the pylons even work if they're in anything other than a strip. Of course, I could be missing some kind of mode toggle for the wand; it wouldn't be the first time I missed an important feature.

I owe it to myself to play with MFFS, but I don't want to slow down any more on BFSR. I'm basically finishing the new keystone quest of the modpack where you warp a dorkified version of the USS Philadelpha back into physical space and fight all the horrors crawling around the ship before smelting the whole thing back down for scrap steel. I don't have any tangible proof anybody would even want to do that, but if you make it a flashing icon in a quest book, somebody--by God--will climb that mountain.

Glory of Arioch posted:

Similsax Transtructors work great for laying out a straight line of blocks quickly. Make sure to use the 1.7 version.

I forgot about this. I'll have to look at it one more time. The More Wands mod made me sad because it was pretty much all Nether Stars, all the time. IIRC this mod was pretty simple as opposed to MFFS. Well, MFFS was just complicated to me when I tried to use it, which was back before I think I even made a digital miner. It might still just be simpler for people to lay out the pylon strips by hand. I was thinking last night they'd have to do a full cage to make it efficient enough, but I just did two sides and got the cost down to 18 dense energy cells, and I'm already giving them half of them as prelude quest rewards.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Tinker's Construct has the drawbridge. I use those with my Ender Quarry, usually. Just lay them out, throw on a lever and they pump out some number of blocks/fences/what have you. Then you turn them off and they collect them for you if you need to move it. I think the basic one's 7 blocks, but the advanced one does more, but I don't know how many offhand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

McFrugal posted:

I would never do such a thing to another human being. I couldn't even willingly subject people to the IC2 agriculture system, so I got agricraft instead.

I actually changed all the IC2 recipes, almost all the machine and item names, added in tooltip descriptions of what stuff does and added in a lot of new machine recipes. I tinkered with config files to make nuclear worth it, wrenches unnecessary and so on. The IC2 machines and such are even a major element of one of the main quest lines (as well as IE, AE and some project red). A ton of work to try and make IC2 part of the pack, all in all.

So now I'm balls deep in IC2 and there's no way out. I was hoping I could just swap in ME but after looking into it more it looks like ME doesn't work very well with minetweaker/modtweaker, leaving me out of luck.

After checking out TE and big reactors I understand why people prefer them. The machines are better in almost every way. Those GUI's are slick as hell. It's past the point where I can remove IC2 but I really want to include at least ME and big reactors and I think I can do it without it feeling like some bloated, kitchen-sink pack. Are there any good chargeable tool mods that go well with ME? Ideally something that can mine up to a 3x3 area.

mensrea fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 21, 2016