Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

My thoughts on that ending; I believe that is the natural state the world is working towards. For the fire to fade away but not gone completely, existing as faint embers that still illuminate the world in small ways. Its not the total darkness that would come from the abyss engulfing all, or the false age of fire that can only be continued by throwing more bodies onto the dying flame. I mentioned it before, but I think the dark sign resembling a solar eclipse is supposed to represent the nature of age of dark; brief light barely slipping bast a barrier a shadow.

I don't think it is a "good" ending though, only because these games don't really have good ones. The age of dark might be the natural state but that doesn't mean it will be a pleasant one.

Yeah, I like that interpretation. Letting the Fire actually, finally die leads to a temporary Age of Darkness that might not be good, and may lead to a lot of suffering, but will eventually lead to a new age not reliant on the First Flame. A painful rebirth.

That said, I can see arguments for linking the Flame, too. Sure, it's only delaying the inevitable, but hell, you could say that about life in general. I can't blame anyone for thinking it's better to keep going just a little longer than to face the unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Dark Souls 2 is IMO quite a bit harder than DS1, mostly because it has way more enemies per zone, more zones with enemies that block your path, and a lot more "bullshit" sections; the poison spitting statues, everything in Iron Keep, the absolutely bafflingly long gauntlet to get to Drangleic Castle. It's harder, and also less fun/interesting as a result.

I'm sorry but I refuse to believe that Dark Souls 2 isn't easy as poo poo. With the exception of the poison spitting statue marathon and really all of Iron Keep, the entire game was piss easy. I fought so many bosses where I didn't even die once.

Harrow posted:

Dark Souls III's levels are pretty hard but I'm finding the bosses to be pretty easy overall, with a couple of standout exceptions.

You might be finding Dark Souls III to be harder than Dark Souls II because the build you posted was straight-up baffling to a lot of us. It actually made a lot of sense as a Dark Souls 1 PvE build--stack Endurance and you can kinda just power through anything, just watch ENB's "From the Dark" playthrough where he basically never levels Vitality and starts by pumping Endurance sky-high--but not as a DS3 build.

That could be it. I still remember people saying never invest in health invest in endurance. It worked like a charm in Dark Souls II as well. But what stands out to me about Dark Souls II is that it is so easy to avoid enemy attacks, and yes, cheese them. Pretty much all the bosses in Dark Souls II could be avoided very easily.

Your Computer posted:

Since when is it a "myth" that playing a bunch of DS1 makes DS2 easier? :confused: I'm sure there are valid criticisms against DS2 but the difficulty is hardly one.

I mean it certainly is a reason, but, to me, another big reason is that because the game was just easier.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Insurrectionist posted:

He literally soloed the whole fight for me I didn't even pick up Storm Ruler until old lady decided to teleport me away haha

I mean I did purposely draw some attention when I realized he was doing a billion damage while I was chipping at the bar I guess

I heard you needed Storms Ruler so I ran right for it, quipped it, realized I didn't know how to do the special attack and then he was gone.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

This game is way easier on PC than PS4 due to the higher frame rate. Or maybe it's just because I got gud by 100%ing Bloodborne between playing the two.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
I used heavy armor to reduce the amount of instakills Dancer had, I bring shame upon my house.

Next I start using magic and summoning people, its a slippery slope.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Irithyll is beautiful and the moon being in eclipse is a nice touch.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

That could be it. I still remember people saying never invest in health invest in endurance. It worked like a charm in Dark Souls II as well. But what stands out to me about Dark Souls II is that it is so easy to avoid enemy attacks, and yes, cheese them. Pretty much all the bosses in Dark Souls II could be avoided very easily.

Yeah, DS3 sorta bucks that trend. In Dark Souls 1 you could make it through with base Vitality if you were good at dodging, especially because there weren't a lot of enemies that could just juggle you to death like some enemies in DS3 can. DS3 demands at least some Vigor so that you don't get combo'd to death quite as easily, and it has faster Stamina regeneration so you don't need to level Endurance quite as high quite as quickly.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wow, good thing I didn't care about pyromancy because I beat the game without even finding Cornyx

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
From a few pages back:

Alabaster White posted:

Anyone know if you can get blue hits while sitting at a bonfire? I'm going to get these 30 ears even if it kills me.

You can't be invaded by any means while sitting at a bonfire, but that's it. You be summoned as a Farron or Aldritch or Blue while sitting at a bonfire, and you can sit at a bonfire while waiting for your red orb or your summon sign to find a connection.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
This video is the best DS3-related thing I have seen so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf3Wj_d-aOE

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Anyone around to help my lowish pvp alt with The Nameless King (late game optional boss) on PC? Will return favor or something if you need it in the future.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I could use assistance with finding the NPC Unbreakable Patches. I have tried looking for him in the cathedral coming from both ways and in the fire keeper tower but no luck. I know that he interacts with Greirat after you send Greirat out a second time which I have already done so I'm wondering if that threw a wrench in the whole thing.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I don't think Wolnir is specifically who people say he is, but I think the nod to DS2 is clear in his description.

So many of the bosses and events in this game seem to be a "well, this is how it COULD have happened".

Like Albrecht There's no reason to suggest that Gwyndolin was alive when Albrecht found him, since I definitely always take the time to murder his twink rear end to death. That said, it makes perfect sense also that upon his "defeat" Gwyndolin, being a God, doesn't just up and die; maybe he magics away, or is reduced to soul energy, and over the years slowly nurses his wound, or exists in a transient state, until Albrecht comes and finds his corpse or barely living body and starts chowing down.

Much more mysterious is how Alby got Nito's weapon. Who did he eat? Nito's just bones and...bones...

it's explained ingame via text what happened to him

From Pontiff's soul: Pontiff Sulyvahn of Irithyll imprisoned a god of the old royalty in the abandoned cathedral, to be fed to the devourer.

The scythe isn't Nito's. It's an imitation of Priscilla's. Per the Lifehunt Scythe text you get from trading in Aldritch's soul: "Miracle of Aldrich, Devourer of Gods.Steals HP of foes using an illusory scythe. Aldrich dreamt as he slowly devoured the God of the Darkmoon. In this dream, he perceived the form of a young, pale girl in hiding."

Optional things are generally ~non-canon~ in souls stories from what I've seen, but like you said, everything in this world is transitory so it's pretty easy to explain having fought or skipped Gwyndolin either way.

Oh, something else of note: an item confirms that the Ornstein fought in DS1 was in fact an illusion. Smough was the only knight willing to remain at his post. :rip:

"Golden lion helm associated with Dragonslayer Ornstein, from the age of gods, and imbued with the strength of lightning. In the dragonless age, this knight, who long guarded the ruined cathedral, left the land in search of the nameless king."

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Wait a minute, so I came into Smouldering Lake via the broken bridge from Wolnir..does that effectively skip basically the whole area?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Toriori posted:

Wait a minute, so I came into Smouldering Lake via the broken bridge from Wolnir..does that effectively skip basically the whole area?

That's the only entrance to the zone.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

Sure, it's only delaying the inevitable, but hell, you could say that about life in general. I can't blame anyone for thinking it's better to keep going just a little longer than to face the unknown.

I mean, that's how I felt about the original Dark Souls.

After witnessing the alternative - the fate of Artorias and Oolacile - I decided that sacrificing myself to prolong the Age of Fire and temporarily get rid of the undead curse wasn't so bad. I wasn't doing it for the gods and Frampt, who can gently caress right off, but for all the totally decent people like Sieglinde and to allow my undead bros to rest instead of being my immortal mindless slaves or whatever. I feel like the best arc is three playthroughs, maybe on the same character consecutively, where you first kindle the flame because you don't even realize there's another ending or that Kaathe exists, a second playthrough where you dig deep into the game and find Kaathe and Gwyndolin and all that stuff about Anor Londo being a lie and embrace the true destiny of man, and then a third one post-DLC where you link the flame again except this time it's a conscious choice and you're doing it for different reasons.

It isn't hopeless at all; all I have to hope for is that sometime before the flame totally fades somebody else will do what I did again. And the game even shows us a character capable of doing so, Solaire. I think it's a well-built, powerful arc.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Corte posted:

I could use assistance with finding the NPC Unbreakable Patches. I have tried looking for him in the cathedral coming from both ways and in the fire keeper tower but no luck. I know that he interacts with Greirat after you send Greirat out a second time which I have already done so I'm wondering if that threw a wrench in the whole thing.

Kill the cathedral boss then look for him in Firelink

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Corte posted:

Is he already sitting off to the side in fire link, selling his wares? Because I had a similar issue and he was in fire link. When you go up to go to the tower, just keep going straight and he might be sitting on the floor.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Minrad posted:

it's explained ingame via text what happened to him

From Pontiff's soul: Pontiff Sulyvahn of Irithyll imprisoned a god of the old royalty in the abandoned cathedral, to be fed to the devourer.

The scythe isn't Nito's. It's an imitation of Priscilla's. Per the Lifehunt Scythe text you get from trading in Aldritch's soul: "Miracle of Aldrich, Devourer of Gods.Steals HP of foes using an illusory scythe. Aldrich dreamt as he slowly devoured the God of the Darkmoon. In this dream, he perceived the form of a young, pale girl in hiding."

Optional things are generally ~non-canon~ in souls stories from what I've seen, but like you said, everything in this world is transitory so it's pretty easy to explain having fought or skipped Gwyndolin either way.

Oh, something else of note: an item confirms that the Ornstein fought in DS1 was in fact an illusion. Smough was the only knight willing to remain at his post. :rip:

"Golden lion helm associated with Dragonslayer Ornstein, from the age of gods, and imbued with the strength of lightning. In the dragonless age, this knight, who long guarded the ruined cathedral, left the land in search of the nameless king."

To be honest, it's not that far-fetched to assume that the Gwyndolin you fight in Dark Souls is an illusion, whilst the real Gwyndolin is building her mercenary paradise of Outer Heaven. There's no real evidence for this, but if the idea of beating Gwyndolin not being canon is a hang up for people it's an option.

To the second thing you mentioned it also seems pretty likely that Ornstein found the Nameless King, who being hollow, killed him. Being one of Gwyn's knights seems to have a lovely retirement plan.

Wagrid fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 19, 2016

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Dark Souls lore owns because it's all completely optional and it leaves enough up to interpretation that each person who reads the story via bits of text and flavor in items and the occasional location, npc, or quote can come away with their own story. I played through DS1, though all the lore was stupid, started looking at it in DS2 and thinking some of it was neat, and now for DS3 I mull over every item and NPC I find and consider the implications and story involves. Owns, owns, owns.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Instant Grat posted:

This video is the best DS3-related thing I have seen so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf3Wj_d-aOE

This is pretty grea,t but goddamn do I hate that every invader is wearing this right now. I also missed it goddamn it :v: I haven't been able to look at the stats but is this set as op as it seems?

I'm pretty sure I missed half the invading NPCs and 90% of the NPC side quests in this game.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I feel like this game has by far the easiest bosses in the series. I've soloed every boss so far and most of them are were easy after a few tries. The challenge comes mainly from the disgustingly high damage some of them dish out. There's also a lot of puzzle/gimmick bosses that become almost trivial once you figure out what the solution is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Minrad posted:

Dark Souls lore owns because it's all completely optional and it leaves enough up to interpretation that each person who reads the story via bits of text and flavor in items and the occasional location, npc, or quote can come away with their own story. I played through DS1, though all the lore was stupid, started looking at it in DS2 and thinking some of it was neat, and now for DS3 I mull over every item and NPC I find and consider the implications and story involves. Owns, owns, owns.

i like that one of most important lore bits is an optional boss in an absolutely optional area that you may not even figure out how to get to since you need to kill another optional boss in an optional area to unlock it.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Minrad posted:

I played through DS1, though all the lore was stupid, started looking at it in DS2 and thinking some of it was neat, and now for DS3 I mull over every item and NPC I find and consider the implications and story involves. Owns, owns, owns.

gamer hell yeah

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I mean, that's how I felt about the original Dark Souls.

After witnessing the alternative - the fate of Artorias and Oolacile - I decided that sacrificing myself to prolong the Age of Fire and temporarily get rid of the undead curse wasn't so bad. I wasn't doing it for the gods and Frampt, who can gently caress right off, but for all the totally decent people like Sieglinde and to allow my undead bros to rest instead of being my immortal mindless slaves or whatever. I feel like the best arc is three playthroughs, maybe on the same character consecutively, where you first kindle the flame because you don't even realize there's another ending or that Kaathe exists, a second playthrough where you dig deep into the game and find Kaathe and Gwyndolin and all that stuff about Anor Londo being a lie and embrace the true destiny of man, and then a third one post-DLC where you link the flame again except this time it's a conscious choice and you're doing it for different reasons.

It isn't hopeless at all; all I have to hope for is that sometime before the flame totally fades somebody else will do what I did again. And the game even shows us a character capable of doing so, Solaire. I think it's a well-built, powerful arc.

Except eternal darkness with the occasional bit of light is far more appropriate given the audience for these games.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

kikkelivelho posted:

I feel like this game has by far the easiest bosses in the series. I've soloed every boss so far and most of them are were easy after a few tries. The challenge comes mainly from the disgustingly high damage some of them dish out. There's also a lot of puzzle/gimmick bosses that become almost trivial once you figure out what the solution is.

I don't really mind the occasional gimmick fight. There are a few fights in this game that just trade in pure spectacle that I really dug. Not every boss needs to be a super intense challenge. That said, I don't think this game has the easiest boss fights - I think DS2 and Demon's Souls had significantly easier boss fights on average.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

i like that one of most important lore bits is an optional boss in an absolutely optional area that you may not even figure out how to get to since you need to kill another optional boss in an optional area to unlock it.

I'm not sure if I would've figured out how to get to Archdragon peak, even on a second or third playthrough. It's obvious once you know what to do, but it's not like I've ever hosed around with gestures much. heck, in ds1 and ds2 you just press a on the bird's nest to get picked up, you didn't have to do poo poo.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I hope everyone recognizes that the Gotthard Twinswords are the best weapon in the game and other weapons should only ever be used for variety

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

kikkelivelho posted:

I suck at videogames but I could never bring myself to not solo any boss in any of these games. I think I co-oped for The Rotten in DS2 and felt like scum after.

Also just beat Wolnir. Shat my pants completely the first time. The second time I killed him in like 20 seconds. <3

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Wagrid posted:

I don't really mind the occasional gimmick fight. There are a few fights in this game that just trade in pure spectacle that I really dug. Not every boss needs to be a super intense challenge. That said, I don't think this game has the easiest boss fights - I think DS2 and Demon's Souls had significantly easier boss fights on average.

I do actually like gimmick fights in general. Some of them are just far to simple in DS3, like Wolnir and Yhorm.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

kikkelivelho posted:

I do actually like gimmick fights in general. Some of them are just far to simple in DS3, like Wolnir and Yhorm.

Yhorm was definitely a let down. You walk into the room and the music feels like this huge wall of sound and it sets you up for this really intense fight and then, yeah. Wolnir was fine though. He is the best at skeletons.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jia posted:

I hope everyone recognizes that the Gotthard Twinswords are the best weapon in the game and other weapons should only ever be used for variety

I love the moveset but I wish they had better at. Sharp uchi spoiled me

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

kikkelivelho posted:

I thought Wolnir worked well since it's still your standard fight of avoiding attacks, learning patterns, using regular abilities, but Yhorm is dumb and I hate it. Oh yeah I sure do love needing to navigate the loving menu while a boss is swiping at me and one shotting me. It's not even challenging WITH the weapon; you stunlock him to death from range and he doesn't get to do anything.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

I'm going to cop to absolutely loving the tree fight. When the floor collapsed it was this totally unexpected holy poo poo moment that I was way into.

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

Jia posted:

I just picked them up after using the Sellsword Twinblades all game. I'm really digging them despite scaling better with strength, the post-roll L1's reach is incredible and can be used in a lot of ways it seems (catching someone rolling away if you time it right, rolling in one direction and using the L1 to attack behind you to surprise a pursuer, etc.).

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

what talisman gives the most spell buff at 40-50 faith?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I thought the tree fight was cool. And I don't usually like From's big blob bosses

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is the only way to do the fight. Getting the hang of the trail effect on his flame sword is downright glorious. None of this running away nonsense, roll right up into his face and wrestle him within in a cage of flame.

Late reply, but I profoundly disagree. This was a great boss for me to work on spacing-dependent punishing of attacks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Woliner was really cool for the spectacle and fun enough even if he's super gimmicky. Yhorm was allright for spectacle but still sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Dark Souls 1 had the easiest bosses.