Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

TollTheHounds posted:

Well I'm not exactly expecting N to hit this thing, but I'll be happy when Marshmallow does since it seems imminent, all the reviews I've read of beta testers ( you can apply to be a beta tester ) have been overwhelmingly positive in the same ways as everyone else going from Lollipop ( basically the same but more refined/better, better battery life etc ), so I don't expect much of a delay. In terms of security updates Blackberry releases them even before Google does to the Nexus lines ( by a day or 1 FWIW ) so I'm not concerned about that angle.

The 2 mid-rangers they're going to offer are going to be around the $4-500 mark, 1 with dedicated keyboard and 1 just a slab ( ala Z30 ), both with a fingerprint reader.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/blackberry-plans-to-launch-two-mid-range-android-phones-this-year-says-ceo/

Hopefully not too little too late at this point, but honestly I was sure they were going to tank 2 years ago, so hopefully in 2017 I'll be able to buy a Priv 2. :unsmith:

Priv is on slickdeals today for $440, I'm sure they'll have a hit on their hands with those $4-500 mid-range phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I'm just trying out Tapet and it's pretty cool, but is there a way to have it update the lockscreen wallpaper too? I'm using a Sony Z5 for reference.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Okay I consider myself a pretty self sufficient and tech savvy guy, so for the life of me why can't I figure out how to have my S7's screen turn on when I get a notification.

Have only had an iPhone before (obviously), so no imported settings. I keep it on vibrate, and I get vibrations for notifications but the lock screen does not turn on. I don't have any privacy settings on notifications.

What do I do so my lock screen turns on from a notification? Also, when I double tap on a notification in lock screen, nothing happens, the second tap just deselects it. How do I double tap the notification and have it unlock & open the app?

edit: another question. I swear I'm not retarded. Tapet looks cool; I downloaded it. I like the wallpaper, I tap on the check mark to set the wall paper and nothing happens. All other functions work.. liking, swiping up for next image, etc. What is wrong with me, why won't it set?? Edti2: nevermind, I had to close the task and restart Tapet and it worked now

Nifty fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 19, 2016

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Nifty posted:

Okay I consider myself a pretty self sufficient and tech savvy guy, so for the life of me why can't I figure out how to have my S7's screen turn on when I get a notification.

This isn't a standard Android feature - it's app specific (. E.g. Textra, an alternative SMS program has the ability to turn the screen on if a SMS is received) or use a general notification app to do the same thing (Lightflow).

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Do Samsung phones have ambient display?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

plainswalker75 posted:

Did you import from a previous device? My S7 imported all my saved wifi passwords from my old S4 when I switched over.

That's an interesting question. I did import contacts, from my Motorola Turbo (As the name would imply, not a Samsung device), but I did that through my google account rather than through a physical or bluetooth direct connection. Are wifi passwords stored server-side by Google? That would be a bit annoying.

Beyond that, even if they are storing wifi passwords server-side, in plain text, that doesn't explain why it would likewise transfer over unsecured wifi access points, nor why it would connect to a similarly-named access point somewhere I have never before been, unless it only imports SSID and key, and not MAC address or any other identifiers.

It's just weird.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Kytrarewn posted:

Beyond that, even if they are storing wifi passwords server-side, in plain text, that doesn't explain why it would likewise transfer over unsecured wifi access points, nor why it would connect to a similarly-named access point somewhere I have never before been, unless it only imports SSID and key, and not MAC address or any other identifiers.

It's just weird.

I'm pretty sure I've changed devices in the past and had my WiFi passwords restored from my Google account along with other settings, my Nexus 6P didn't do this though so I don't know if it's maybe a manufacturer specific thing.

I've known Android to do dickish annoying stuff with WiFi. For example, at work we have two SSIDs, <company-name> and <company-name>-guest. Everyone used the guest one, but I once tried to connect to <company-name> by accident. From that day on, every time the phone had been restarted, it would try and fail to connect to <company-name> even though it didn't know the credentials, and never had done. I would press on 'Forget network' and it would stop and use the guest network instead, but the next time I restarted it, it would be back to connecting to the wrong one again. Going back a bit further, I had a problem with a different network where every time the phone was restarted I'd get an authentication failure and have to re-enter the password to get it to work. Every time. Presumably it kept reverting to an older, incorrect password.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kytrarewn posted:

It's just weird.

Wifi credentials are stored server-side and restored when you login to a new device with your Google account and yes, it's only SSID/key, not MACs ore anything else. Forgetting the networks should cause them to not be automatically connected in the future.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
The Galaxy S7 is a seriously good phone. And for once Samsung hasn't shat all over Android and I don't even mind touchwiz on this thing.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Desk Lamp posted:

As far as space themed live wallpapers go, the Galaxy series by Maxelus.net is pretty nice and requires no permissions.

That is seriously nice. Thanks for the recommendation.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

TollTheHounds posted:

The 2 mid-rangers they're going to offer are going to be around the $4-500 mark, 1 with dedicated keyboard and 1 just a slab ( ala Z30 ), both with a fingerprint reader.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/blackberry-plans-to-launch-two-mid-range-android-phones-this-year-says-ceo/

A $500 "midrange" phone? Good luck, BB.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
People still do live wallpapers?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Stumpalitious posted:

The Galaxy S7 is a seriously good phone. And for once Samsung hasn't shat all over Android and I don't even mind touchwiz on this thing.

Careful, you'll cause this thread to burst into flames for expressing that.

Skarsnik posted:

Do Samsung phones have ambient display?

Sort of, the S7/6.0 has a weird kind of ambient display implementation. It shows the time, battery and calculator but no notifications. I don't use it myself.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

People still do live wallpapers?

No, the people ITT asking about them are just trolling you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

No, the people ITT asking about them are just trolling you.

I think this might actually be true.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
http://dailysteals.com/products/new-unlocked-blackberry-priv-at-t-branded-gsm-slider-android-smartphone?variant=17839897924

BlackBerry Priv for $449, not a bad deal for keyboard junkies. My coworker got one for work and she likes it.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

CLAM DOWN posted:

Careful, you'll cause this thread to burst into flames for expressing that.

I mean I will probably replace the launcher with the Google Now launcher like I always do, but beyond that everything else is really not bad at all. Settings screen isn't hard to navigate, notification bar works like I think it should. I also love how it's a seriously powerful phone and not mega huge.

Overall I'd suggest the Galaxy S7 to others, which is the first time in years I've said that about a Samsung phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Stumpalitious posted:

I mean I will probably replace the launcher with the Google Now launcher like I always do, but beyond that everything else is really not bad at all. Settings screen isn't hard to navigate, notification bar works like I think it should. I also love how it's a seriously powerful phone and not mega huge.

Overall I'd suggest the Galaxy S7 to others, which is the first time in years I've said that about a Samsung phone.

I'm a huge fan of Nova launcher, it's fast and mega customizable!

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

CLAM DOWN posted:

I like Nova fine but I'm so used to the Google Now launcher that I have no reason to switch away.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Stumpalitious posted:

I like Nova fine but I'm so used to the Google Now launcher that I have no reason to switch away.

For sure, Google Now launcher has a long-standing bug with Samsung Knox (both My Knox and enterprise Knox) so I switched to Nova which is still excellent. I did miss the swipe to the left to see Now, but Nova has the swipe up gesture to reach it which is more than good enough.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

CLAM DOWN posted:

For sure, Google Now launcher has a long-standing bug with Samsung Knox (both My Knox and enterprise Knox) so I switched to Nova which is still excellent. I did miss the swipe to the left to see Now, but Nova has the swipe up gesture to reach it which is more than good enough.

That's good to know, thanks for the tip.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

sleepwalkers posted:

A $500 "midrange" phone? Good luck, BB.

Keep in mind I was referring to $500 Canadian, so I guess that's just about $400 US FWIW.

Mister Fister posted:

http://dailysteals.com/products/new-unlocked-blackberry-priv-at-t-branded-gsm-slider-android-smartphone?variant=17839897924

BlackBerry Priv for $449, not a bad deal for keyboard junkies. My coworker got one for work and she likes it.

Highly recommend it if if you were on the fence, I really like what they've done with their skin and launcher.

I almost joined the Beta program so you can get OTA updates of beta releases ( OS & App ), so right now it's all about the Marshmallow update, but right as I was about to enable logging and proceed with letting them in, I asked on the beta forums what exactly is going to be logged. Not sure if this is breaking an NDA but The answer is literally "everything", they will "try" to "scrub all personal data, and access is restricted anyway" but to me that means if you use banking apps or anything you would consider sensitive, your usage of it will be sent to their Beta team. :tinfoil: So I changed my mind, but not sure if that's :spergin: leves of :tinfoil: or what. I guess they have no other way of doing it, they want detailed logs/bug tracking, but considering it'll be out of beta in a few weeks anyway I'll just wait.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I just got my S7 Edge today and had Nova up and running the way I like it within an hour.
Nova Prime should be on everybody's list of things to buy with all that Google Rewards money.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Here's an interesting thing I discovered about my Note 5 charging issue.

When plugged in it is taking about twice as long to charge as it does when I wireless charge... like any wired charging is just usb powered charge like you'd get when charging from a computer port.

Right now I'm at 26% battery.

4 hours and change to wired charge to full

2 hours and change to wireless charge to full

I'm ready to just do a factory reset on the drat phone and see if that fixes it.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

TollTheHounds posted:

I almost joined the Beta program so you can get OTA updates of beta releases ( OS & App ), so right now it's all about the Marshmallow update, but right as I was about to enable logging and proceed with letting them in, I asked on the beta forums what exactly is going to be logged. Not sure if this is breaking an NDA but The answer is literally "everything", they will "try" to "scrub all personal data, and access is restricted anyway" but to me that means if you use banking apps or anything you would consider sensitive, your usage of it will be sent to their Beta team. :tinfoil: So I changed my mind, but not sure if that's :spergin: leves of :tinfoil: or what. I guess they have no other way of doing it, they want detailed logs/bug tracking, but considering it'll be out of beta in a few weeks anyway I'll just wait.

They might be able to see what apps you open and whatever is being logged out to the system but unless you bank is doing some hilariously insecure poo poo already you'll be fine.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I bought a nexus 5x that was on sale because gently caress it. I haven't owned am android in years aside from app testing devices for work. Was thinking about putting the android N preview on it since it's not my "daily driver". Is build 2 any good? Anyone using it regularly?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

I bought a nexus 5x that was on sale because gently caress it. I haven't owned am android in years aside from app testing devices for work. Was thinking about putting the android N preview on it since it's not my "daily driver". Is build 2 any good? Anyone using it regularly?

Seems pretty good on my nexus 9 so far. It's hard locked twice since entering the beta, but that's about par for not being in the beta.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What is the best bang for my buck looking to spend less than 150$ on an android phone? I'm thinking of getting a refurbished S4 because I would like something with a SD card slot that holds a 64GB card for music playing.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What is the best bang for my buck looking to spend less than 150$ on an android phone? I'm thinking of getting a refurbished S4 because I would like something with a SD card slot that holds a 64GB card for music playing.

Set the money aside until you can afford a good phone.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Not a ton. If you can stretch that budget out another $30 and spend it on a 3rd gen Moto G, that'd probably be your best bet. Decent balance between not being hot garbage and not costing an arm and a leg.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah at $150 new you're looking at some serious garbage tier stuff. Just deal with it until you've got enough for a moto G.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Okay, so if I expand my budget to 200$, Moto G is the best budget-not-poo poo- phone? I have little to no bearing in this cellphone game. I got a nice bonus recently but dont really want to spend much more than 200$ on a new phone unless thats what people tell me I should do

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Okay, so if I expand my budget to 200$, Moto G is the best budget-not-poo poo- phone? I have little to no bearing in this cellphone game. I got a nice bonus recently but dont really want to spend much more than 200$ on a new phone unless thats what people tell me I should do

I have it and I like it

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

If a Camera matters to you, i'd wait and save up for a Nexus 5x... i think i saw a deal a while ago for $250 on ebay from Newegg.

If a camera doesn't matter, yeah, go ahead with the Moto G

Oh, and another bonus of the 5x is you'll get more OS updates so it should last you a lot longer.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Ah, weird, seems like the 5x does not have a SD slot. I'm sort of OCD about keeping large chunks of my music collection on me, and being able to listen to FLACs.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Ah, weird, seems like the 5x does not have a SD slot. I'm sort of OCD about keeping large chunks of my music collection on me, and being able to listen to FLACs.

:allears:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I got a nice bonus recently but dont really want to spend much more than 200$ on a new phone

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

These trolls are getting better. 7/10

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Don't get the 1GB RAM/8GB storage model. If you live in the US, buy the 2GB/16GB version from their "Warehouse Deals" (Basically open box) site. They're currently $170 or so. Zenfone Laser can be had for under $200 as well, but has some trade-offs in the software department.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I wouldn't worry about FLAC files as a phone DAC won't be good enough for you to hear a positive difference (I know, it's debatable people can hear one period but it's really not happening with a phone DAC). I can see wanting an SD card slot to keep your music on beyond that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

You can get a G3 for that much and a G4 if you can stretch it out a bit. Additionally a Nexus 6 runs under $200 now too.