Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

wait 8 months for the YUP, if he ever becomes interested in this game, he wasn't too hot on it last I checked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Requires the survival mode beta.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

boneration posted:

As usual there's at least one "fix" that's actually a stylistic choice by the modder.

Which one? I bet I'm missing it in the changelog

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I didn't see it either, unless its the line of female dialog removed because it wasn't present in the subtitles or male voice file.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

boneration posted:

As usual there's at least one "fix" that's actually a stylistic choice by the modder.

Which is?

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Shoehead posted:

Which one? I bet I'm missing it in the changelog

Settlers assigned to scavenging stations having their weapon drawn when on patrol. I've always thought that was a good and useful way to distinguish their behaviour. Removing it seems pointless and removes a way to discriminate between settlers.

VVV There's nothing about it that says "bug" to me. I assumed it was intentional behaviour because it makes sense that they'd be walking around armed, looking for poo poo. We can politely disagree if you want.

boneration fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 19, 2016

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Just because you like it doesn't make it not a bug.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I rarely walk around with my weapon drawn anyways and I'm always hauling loot around.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

Just because you like it doesn't make it not a bug.
To be somewhat fair: Someone thinking "Hey, it doesn't make sense for those settlers to be walking around with their weapon out" doesn't really make it a bug. It doesn't actually break anything.
That said: Not liking one "fix" doesn't necessarily mean to whole UF4P is useless. You can just re-enable the 'Weapon drawn' flag. Say what you want about the Unoffical Patch team, but at least they document their poo poo fairly well.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Raygereio posted:

To be somewhat fair: Someone thinking "Hey, it doesn't make sense for those settlers to be walking around with their weapon out" doesn't really make it a bug. It doesn't actually break anything.
That said: Not liking one "fix" doesn't necessarily mean to whole UF4P is useless. You can just re-enable the 'Weapon drawn' flag. Say what you want about the Unoffical Patch team, but at least they document their poo poo fairly well.

You are absolutely right and my post was unnecessarily assholish. These guys do good work and I was snippy for no reason.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

boneration posted:

You are absolutely right and my post was unnecessarily assholish. These guys do good work and I was snippy for no reason.

No, just a bit too soon. Arthmoor is involved, so at some point he's bound to include something he thinks that's missing and bam, Oblivion gates all over Boston.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Sensenmann posted:

No, just a bit too soon. Arthmoor is involved, so at some point he's bound to include something he thinks that's missing and bam, Oblivion gates all over Boston.

Looks like he was involved in the Skyrim Unofficial patches too. Did he try to move his "vision" into that as well, or has the rest of the team kept him in check?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

boneration posted:

Nah, it's all good. As Raygereio said, there's no reason to throw out the whole thing just because of that.

However as Sensenman said, this is Arthmoor, so look forward to Oblivion Gates showing up in Hangman's Alley with some bullshit justification about how this is the true vision of the lore or some dumb poo poo

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Raygereio posted:

Say what you want about the Unoffical Patch team, but at least they document their poo poo fairly well.

hmm, I'll say what I will: Arthmoor seems to have no interest in getting bugs fixed upstream by Bethesda, and that is a detriment to the community and FO4 in general. Check out his thread here, which I posted in: https://community.bethesda.net/thread/3078

He absolutely incredulously states that: "As far as I can remember, there's never been a proper official channel to submit bug reports. People have used the Tech Support links in the past, but those were never intended for that purpose." Yet, staring us in the face is: https://help.bethesda.net/app/fallout_feedback which walks, talks, and even barks like a place to submit official bug reports. If he's not reporting things fixed in his unofficial patch through that (or other channels) to Bethesda, it's a real disservice to players. I don't want to be reliant on his mod to fix bugs in the game, and sometimes Bethesda may just be unaware of them.

If anyone sees things that are matters of style and not bugs, or is concerned about the way Arthmoor goes about things, I'd encourage you to actively post in his threads. If nobody challenges his view things will never change. I think in past games he's adjusted unofficial patch content based on forum feeeback.

Also, please report actual bugs you encounter through: https://help.bethesda.net/app/fallout_feedback -- even if they're already "fixed" in the unofficial patch.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

pmchem posted:

hmm, I'll say what I will: Arthmoor seems to have no interest in getting bugs fixed upstream by Bethesda, and that is a detriment to the community and FO4 in general. Check out his thread here, which I posted in: https://community.bethesda.net/thread/3078

He absolutely incredulously states that: "As far as I can remember, there's never been a proper official channel to submit bug reports. People have used the Tech Support links in the past, but those were never intended for that purpose." Yet, staring us in the face is: https://help.bethesda.net/app/fallout_feedback which walks, talks, and even barks like a place to submit official bug reports. If he's not reporting things fixed in his unofficial patch through that (or other channels) to Bethesda, it's a real disservice to players. I don't want to be reliant on his mod to fix bugs in the game, and sometimes Bethesda may just be unaware of them.

If anyone sees things that are matters of style and not bugs, or is concerned about the way Arthmoor goes about things, I'd encourage you to actively post in his threads. If nobody challenges his view things will never change. I think in past games he's adjusted unofficial patch content based on forum feeeback.

Also, please report actual bugs you encounter through: https://help.bethesda.net/app/fallout_feedback -- even if they're already "fixed" in the unofficial patch.

Well, you have the list of things they have fixed, and the link to report the issues, have at it hoss, you seem to be trying to infer issues where there aren't any. He is correct though, that Feedback system is nebulous, there is no indication that anything reported there will ever be acted upon. They have their own internal QA, and Testing, and they seem to respond to widespread issues that people post about, thats really all we have.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 19, 2016

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

LumberingTroll posted:

Well, you have the list of things they have fixed, and the link to report the issues, have at it hoss, you seem to be trying to infer issues where there aren't any. He is correct though, that Feedback system is nebulous, there is no indication that anything reported there will ever be acted upon. They have their own internal QA, and Testing, and they seem to respond to widespread issues that people post about, thats really all we have.

I'm not going to just copy and paste his bugs, because I haven't encountered them all myself. For example:
"MacCready's wooden toy soldier was incorrectly listed as being made of ceramic instead of wood. (Bug #20115)"

It's probably legit and looks harmless. But I haven't recruited MacCready and can't verify the bug, so it would be dumb of me to report. That's why I phrased my post to mention "actual bugs you encounter." You say there "aren't any" issues but it's not clear to me what you are referring to -- that his beta unofficial patch is perfect? That all these have been reported to Bethesda already? I mean certainly nobody's perfect with regards to bug fixing. I really do think that feedback link is legit, though, I mean you can attach dxdiag and save files and they have categorizations for various classes of issues. It's clearly a page that feeds into their support/QA, if not directly to a ticket system or tracker.

pmchem fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 19, 2016

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Whats not an issue is him supposedly not caring if the bugs get fixed up stream by Bethesda. If they cared about 90% of the bugs that users find we wouldn't have a UFO Team that has done patches for their last three games. And if you say well maybe they would be fixed of people would report them to Bethesda I'd say your retarded if you think they are not aware if the Unofficial Patches.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

It is still completely unfeasible to make a game of this size, scope, and complexity and at the same time catch or even -know about- every single bug.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think what he's trying to say is that there's usually a lot of stuff in the unofficial patches that they could comb through and add to their actual patch ques but they don't for whatever reason.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

LumberingTroll posted:

I'd say your retarded if you think they are not aware if the Unofficial Patches.

Uh, fortunately I don't think that? I think you're retarded if you think users of the Unofficial Patches who post on mod forums don't think Bethesda is aware of their existence? But if joe QA guy is spending his time fixing stuff, it's almost certainly gonna be in response to things users have actually reported on official forums or through feedback/support pages. It's much harder to justify to your boss spending time fixing a hovering pack of caps somewhere that someone reported to Arthmoor, once maybe, versus actual important things that users are directly reporting to your company. I think it's important to make sure that the people responsible for actually fixing the bugs have proper reports, documentation, and justification for their work. Call me crazy! Only the real headline things get fixed because they made it to the top of r/skyrim or whatever.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

I think what he's trying to say is that there's usually a lot of stuff in the unofficial patches that they could comb through and add to their actual patch ques but they don't for whatever reason.

yes, thanks.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I don't care what this art guy does he's a huge idiot and the whiniest baby maybe in all of Bethesda modding. He might put a lot of work and effort into unofficial patches but that doesn't change the fact that he is still responsible for the whole Oblivion gate thing and that colors anything else he does because lmao. My guess is that he intentionally tries to downplay reporting patches to Bethesda because it's all he has that gives him any sort of authority in his life because those are the sorts of people that lose their collective poo poo when someone goes 'hey I don't want Oblivion gates in Whiterun'

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

I have a feeling the reason that they don't do that is because they don't actually have someone comb through mods looking for bugfixes, since they employ people to do that with the game itself. It would be nice if they had someone on pay that did that, but you gotta justify that paycheck and I don't think they feel it's worth it.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Taeke posted:

Haven't had the chance to look at it ingame. I'm saving up for a new computer and waiting until I finish uni before I start with the game properly. (Same with X-Com 2) Looking at the screenshots, though, it looks great but a little too clean for my taste. I might be totally wrong and it looks great in action, but maybe making it a bit more used/damaged would help. A little bit of wear and tear, like a chipped tooth (whatever you call it) or corner or whatever might help with that.

Just my two cents.

No, you're right. I've got that comment from a bunch of people. I just need to learn how to do good texture jobs with more detail than just the normal maps. I don't really have much artistic talent so it is a bit of a challenge for me, I don't even know how to use GIMP or PS tools so I guess I need to study or outsource.

Anyone got any clue why the it gets INCREDIBLY shiny when the light hits it? It drowns out what little detail there is. Is that due to the lack / low quality spec map? If I make the spec map really dark would that stop the problem?
I really should just make an account of polycount or something.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The new thread title isn't filling me with confidence with the news surrounding the GECK....

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Yeah, not sure what idiot changed the thread title, SA mods need to learn to control themselves.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What do we know about the GECK so far? Is it only going to require Bethesda's dumb server during the beta, or do we have to wait for a future patch to get rid of that or something?

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
So that "Weapon Drawn" flag, can someone add that to the settlers who are on Guard duty and make a mod of it? It's always bothered me that my guards don't have their guns ready.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Magmarashi posted:

I have a feeling the reason that they don't do that is because they don't actually have someone comb through mods looking for bugfixes, since they employ people to do that with the game itself. It would be nice if they had someone on pay that did that, but you gotta justify that paycheck and I don't think they feel it's worth it.

On one hand I know they can't just hire a dude to play mods all day but on the other hand they wouldn't be combing through mods looking for bug fixes. they would be looking at the changelog of a single mod. In my mind, the primary reason they don't do that isn't any sort of money or justification issue, it's just that they don't want to give the community the impression that they're just going to take all that hard work searching for those bugs and not give any compensation or acknowledgement. Or, god forbid, they might give the modding community the impression that Bethesda needs them.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Wrr posted:

No, you're right. I've got that comment from a bunch of people. I just need to learn how to do good texture jobs with more detail than just the normal maps. I don't really have much artistic talent so it is a bit of a challenge for me, I don't even know how to use GIMP or PS tools so I guess I need to study or outsource.

Anyone got any clue why the it gets INCREDIBLY shiny when the light hits it? It drowns out what little detail there is. Is that due to the lack / low quality spec map? If I make the spec map really dark would that stop the problem?
I really should just make an account of polycount or something.

Probably the lightness of the spec map, yeah. If you give it a rust effect you'll want to make the rusty areas much darker than the good metal so you might do some coloring by hand. For size, I don't think something like that needs to be bigger than 512x512 or 1024x1024.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Magmarashi posted:

It is still completely unfeasible to make a game of this size, scope, and complexity and at the same time catch or even -know about- every single bug.

Considering Bethesda doesn't give enough of a poo poo to adjust or fix major plot holes riddling the main storyline of the game I'm pretty sure they won't be digging into the programming of the game to do major technical bug glitches.

Unless somehow that also made more money fall out of the game I guess.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Doctor Borris posted:

Considering Bethesda doesn't give enough of a poo poo to adjust or fix major plot holes riddling the main storyline of the game I'm pretty sure they won't be digging into the programming of the game to do major technical bug glitches.

Unless somehow that also made more money fall out of the game I guess.

See, I think that it isn't a matter of them not giving a poo poo, but of them actually believing they're good at stories.

And if they don't go poking around in their own game to fix bugs, do the bugfixes they do manage to come up with spring, fully formed, from the ether or something?

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Trainwiz released a small quest mod today and has a larger one in the works. I'm assuming he has the beta GECK for this, so I think everything is going to be okay, guys.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/maxwells-world

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 20, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

AgentHaiTo posted:

So that "Weapon Drawn" flag, can someone add that to the settlers who are on Guard duty and make a mod of it? It's always bothered me that my guards don't have their guns ready.

Wait, they don't? My guards have their guns out and held, even if they're not constantly aiming down sights like scavvers.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Glazius posted:

Wait, they don't? My guards have their guns out and held, even if they're not constantly aiming down sights like scavvers.

Mine look like they're holding guns, but they aren't. Their fingers are contorted around an invisible pistol held at crotch level.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What's the story about the new thread title?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

pmchem posted:

He absolutely incredulously states that: "As far as I can remember, there's never been a proper official channel to submit bug reports. People have used the Tech Support links in the past, but those were never intended for that purpose." Yet, staring us in the face is: https://help.bethesda.net/app/fallout_feedback which walks, talks, and even barks like a place to submit official bug reports.
I know Arthmoor is our favorite whipping boy, but come on: Not everything is a grand conspiracy. That's the first time I've seen that feedback form and I wouldn't be surprised it it poofed into existence with their pre-FO4 site-redesign.

pmchem posted:

But if joe QA guy is spending his time fixing stuff, it's almost certainly gonna be in response to things users have actually reported on official forums or through feedback/support pages. It's much harder to justify to your boss spending time fixing a hovering pack of caps somewhere that someone reported to Arthmoor, once maybe, versus actual important things that users are directly reporting to your company. I think it's important to make sure that the people responsible for actually fixing the bugs have proper reports, documentation, and justification for their work. Call me crazy! Only the real headline things get fixed because they made it to the top of r/skyrim or whatever.
You're crazy. But more importantly: The vast majority of stuff the Unofficial Patches fix would be classified as low priority - as they don't cause CTDs - no matter how many people report them. And so they wouldn't be fixed by joe QA guy because his bosses think his time is better spend on more important stuff.
I mean, I'm pretty sure the non-crash-inducing bugs the beta-Skyrim-patch users reported never got fixed on those patches' final releases.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Yeah, Arthmoor's a strange dude and a baby when it comes to modder's rights but, for the most part, he turns that part of his brain off when it comes to the unofficial patches. I don't think he'd intentionally ignore proper channels for bug-reporting in an effort to do the job himself for free. Bethesda has never fully patched the bugs, including some major ones if I recall correctly, in their games.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

flatluigi posted:

What's the story about the new thread title?

It sounds funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

new thread title is pretty good, congrats to FactsAreUseless and VideoGames

Magmarashi posted:

See, I think that it isn't a matter of them not giving a poo poo, but of them actually believing they're good at stories.

And if they don't go poking around in their own game to fix bugs, do the bugfixes they do manage to come up with spring, fully formed, from the ether or something?
you see, bethesda has only one person working on the entire thing, furthermore,

• Locked thread