Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Well we don't know his name so maybe Gwyn did name his firstborn "Goku" :madmax:

e: I disagree with the people who say this game gives you ton of upgrade mats. It gives you a ton of outdatedupgrade mats but if you want something that's up to par with what you're fighting as you're progressing through the game you kinda have to pick something and stick with it. I think it sucks, and while I'm happy that you can eventually buy infinite amounts of mats it really limits your ability to experiment with weapons early and mid game.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I just started; is there any easy way to compare stats on items at the vendor? Like how do I see if the chainmail that's being sold is better than what I'm currently wearing without having to exit the purchase screen and write down all the stats on my equipped stuff.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Any advice for fighting the frog-helmed knights hanging around? Fast motherfuckers. I'm playing a turtle-y herald build.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

I don't think I understand how you're supposed to fight the giant lightning crocodile dogs. I kind of feel like if you don't have an amount of Stamina that's probably above the max that the game allows it's kind of just a crapshoot as to whether you win or not. And in fine Souls tradition, their grab attack has a hitbox ten times the size of what it looks like.

You just have to roll carefully keeping in mind that they have a crazy horizontal reach in their frontal arc due to their stupid necks, and take advantage of their recovery to land a few hits (especially when they use the lightning thing and hunker down for it)

If you're specifically talking about the duo in the sewer, you definitely want to pull the first one off with a bow and fight him in the area by the ladder instead of trying to take them both on at once, which is indeed probably a suicidal/luck-based endeavor solo

Your Computer posted:

I disagree with the people who say this game gives you ton of upgrade mats. It gives you a ton of outdatedupgrade mats but if you want something that's up to par with what you're fighting as you're progressing through the game you kinda have to pick something and stick with it. I think it sucks, and while I'm happy that you can eventually buy infinite amounts of mats it really limits your ability to experiment with weapons early and mid game.

I agree that it's off at some points but also found there to be problems with the upgrade systems in every other Souls game too; Demon's Souls had the notoriously difficult to farm rare mats for some infusion types, Dark Souls 2 had bizarre access/distribution problems with large shards and chunks through the midgame (unless you joined the Bell Keepers in which case you ended up with 50 chunks for every 1 large shard you got), and Dark Souls 1 + Bloodborne both had severely limited access to the max upgrade materials forcing you to go deep into NG+ if you wanted to play around with new weapons

It's kind of a bummer they never managed to find a perfect pitch with this, but I understand how hard it can be

Baku fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 20, 2016

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I managed to get the Hollow ending and find Dragon Peak without a guide but how in the hell is anyone suppose to be able to find Yorshka like that, jesus christ.

Edit: Unless there is a clue about the invisible path I never found.

Your Moms Ahegao fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 20, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I like how this isn't even a joke. Truly the most anime fight.

gently caress him and the dragon he rode in on though.

Monomythian posted:

I managed to get the Hollow ending and find Dragon Peak without a guide but how in the hell is anyone suppose to be able to find Yorshka like that, jesus christ.

I think the idea is supposed to be That tower is located where the Painted World would of been in DS1. So you're supposed to think back to DS1, where you took a leap of faith out of the Painted World and take another one to gain access to this area.

Which is stupid but that Covenant is really just an easter egg as its functionally identical to another covenant which doesn't even work in the first place! :iamafag:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 20, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So, this is probably a dumb question but I got killed when I ran into the dancer trying to homeward bone last night, and figured the fight was in the same room as the anor londo boss, but she's not here? Where is she?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's really cool, and not stupid, that there is virtually no way to punish estus in this game, leading to pvp being rolling constantly with a single attack, then more rolling.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Monomythian posted:

I would have because I was moundbro summoned to a host who went downstairs and stood on it; I assume the answer is other players either that way or via messages

I think it's kind of a weird dumb secret, though, especially since the covenant is so useless

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
The first dog you encounter on the bridge: I kited him to the magic wall and booped his nose 3 times with my +4 mercenary sellswords which seemed to break his poise, in turn allowing me a visceral attack. After that he just flipped over on his back and seemed to give up. So I guess go for the nose?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

So, this is probably a dumb question but I got killed when I ran into the dancer trying to homeward bone last night, and figured the fight was in the same room as the anor londo boss, but she's not here? Where is she?

In the cathedral, where you got the banner at the start of the game.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just beat Pontiff Sulyvahn with my weaponmaster lady. gently caress you shields, I haven't used you all game and I still didn't use you for the Pontiff.

His clone gave me a poo poo ton of trouble until I started playing uber defensive and trying to kite them around so the Pontiff and his shadow would be side by side and easy to read when they started attacking in sequence, and that was the difference maker. The red Carthus ring helped a lot, too - the defensive penalty isn't that bad for how many more i-frames it gives your roll. Combining those strategies meant I was pretty consistently able to get a clean hit off on the Pontiff after he and the clone charged in, and I caught the clone in enough incidental swings to kill him right when the pontiff was down to his last few hits, letting me kill the Pontiff before he could spawn a new clone without having to put myself at too much risk.

God, the bosses in this game have been the best in the series so far. Only Wolnir's been a dud, and even he wasn't broken like BoC or boring like some of DS2's more generic "Big Angry Knight" bosses.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Elman posted:

In the cathedral, where you got the banner at the start of the game.

Thanks

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I think the idea is supposed to be That tower is located where the Painted World would of been in DS1. So you're supposed to think back to DS1, where you took a leap of faith out of the Painted World and take another one to gain access to this area.

Which is stupid but that Covenant is really just an easter egg as its functionally identical to another covenant which doesn't even work in the first place! :iamafag:

There is one difference: if you're a Blade of the Darkmoon, you can get bonus covenant reward items for killing Aldrich Faithful, which you don't get if you're a Blue Sentinel. That can let you rank up faster.

They also both work, it's just I don't think many people wear Way of Blue. I guess I mean they function technically, but not in practice.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Tamayachi posted:

The first dog you encounter on the bridge: I kited him to the magic wall and booped his nose 3 times with my +4 mercenary sellswords which seemed to break his poise, in turn allowing me a visceral attack. After that he just flipped over on his back and seemed to give up. So I guess go for the nose?

Huh, never considered using the magic boundary. Didn't think that would have worked...

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Anyone willing to trade for their Dragonslayer Greatshield?

I accidentally got the greataxe instead, if you want that that'd be even better.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I only dabbled with bleed in NG, mainly using it on things like Havel since I rarely got enough hits in. It's actually working nicely in NG+ though. I don't know for sure but it seems like there is a lasting poise deficit after a bleed occurs. I find that I get poise-break ripostes a lot after bleeds happen.

Either way, it's a nice way to mix up my Str build. I used a Heavy Large Club from the moment I got it, and instantly went back to my souls-staple two hand club and a grass crest on the back. In the lightest robes I can find.

I am considering just dumping everything into equip load so I can finally try some heavier fashion. I still have 10 vit or whatever stat. I started as a pyromancer for the glove and base fireball and could invest in that as well. Profuse Sweat is gold against casters in PVP.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I don't have any White Sign Soapstones in my shop, anyone know what the deal is? I'm level 60 and just beat my third Lord of Cinder, so I've been playing for a while. I expected another to appear by now but welp.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sarchasm posted:

I don't have any White Sign Soapstones in my shop, anyone know what the deal is? I'm level 60 and just beat my third Lord of Cinder, so I've been playing for a while. I expected another to appear by now but welp.

I'm not sure what you mean, she sells it from the beginning of the game- there's no reason you wouldn't be able to buy it. Is it just straight-up not present in the store? Or is the icon there with a '0' next to it?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RBA Starblade posted:

It's really cool, and not stupid, that there is virtually no way to punish estus in this game, leading to pvp being rolling constantly with a single attack, then more rolling.

The way to punish estus is to do a running charge and just stuff the poo poo out of them for using estus. That or use your own estus lol.

But you know there's an item that prevents people from being able to use estus right? Grab a dozen of those and go to town :getin:

Running stab attacks are generally great in pvp, nobody seems to see them coming. I just run around in circles until I bait an attack and then I go in and stab and then combo off that.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

CJacobs posted:

I'm not sure what you mean, she sells it from the beginning of the game- there's no reason you wouldn't be able to buy it.

It shows as out of stock. It's there in the items list in the shop, but it's greyed out and there's a little red zero there denoting the quantity.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mortimer posted:

Anyone willing to trade for their Dragonslayer Greatshield?

I accidentally got the greataxe instead, if you want that that'd be even better.

I'll give you the shield for free, I don't need the soul.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/internetkraken

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sarchasm posted:

It shows as out of stock. It's there in the items list in the shop, but it's greyed out and there's a little red zero there denoting the quantity.

Then you already bought it at some point. Maybe you put it in the box and didn't notice?

edit: I don't know if this is what you're asking, but the white sign soapstone isn't a consumable item, it's infinite-use.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I wish the guide was of Bloodborne quality so that we'd have multiplier data on weapon attacks and I could figure out what to build a PvPer for.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Harrow posted:

There is one difference: if you're a Blade of the Darkmoon, you can get bonus covenant reward items for killing Aldrich Faithful, which you don't get if you're a Blue Sentinel. That can let you rank up faster.

They also both work, it's just I don't think many people wear Way of Blue. I guess I mean they function technically, but not in practice.

The weird thing is that when I invade, I get LOADS of blue phantoms warping in (more during the early game for obvious reasons), but trying to warp in myself takes literal hours. I think the problem is that there just aren't enough invaders, honestly; too much supply, too little demand, etc.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

CJacobs posted:

Then you already bought it at some point. Maybe you put it in the box and didn't notice?

edit: I don't know if this is what you're asking, but the white sign soapstone isn't a consumable item, it's infinite-use.

I guess that's the problem. I put mine down in the room where I beat the watchers of the abyss and it just straight disappeared. Guess I can't leave summon signs for anyone anymore!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Congratulations generic skeleton enemy, you killed the fire demon.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Congratulations generic skeleton enemy, you killed the fire demon.

Next time, try siccing the mimic on him. :getin:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Grand Archives spoiler :aaaaa:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Harrow posted:

Uhhh...sort of. Right now it seems most likely that the auto-summon Covenants, particularly Blue Sentinels/Darkmoon Blades/Watchdogs are bugged. Some people are getting summons literally back to back to back no problem, other people cannot get a summon for over forty hours despite the two example people being in line with each other for level and reinforcement and so on and so forth.

Right now I'd guess that something is hosed up on From's end matchmaking wise. Some players seem to be stuck, perpetually, at the "back of the queue" as it were and can only get summoned in periods of extremely large amounts of summons. What exactly is causing that? There doesn't appear to be any clear pattern.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

the place is actually lousy with them. It's like they had three statues they had molds for and by God a new mold wasn't in the budget.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Wow I did not notice that, nice catch.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Harrow posted:

To further elaborate on this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4fbrre/there_is_currently_a_huge_bugproblem_with_blue/

My experiences pretty much match his own. I've made multiple characters, meticulously kept their SL and reinforcement at particular levels, nothing. All relevant ports forwarded, it makes no difference. Aldrich Faithful, co-op, invasions all work perfectly fine but Blue Sentinels/Darkmoon/Watchdogs do not function, ever, under any circumstances.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I've always thought that people's complaints about the camera in these games were exaggerated but seriously King of the Storm is kinda garbage.

Another fun thing is when you dodge an attack in the second part of the fight a little too late, you get hit, briefly stagger, and then the game is like "you still wanna dodge don'tcha??" and then you get stuck in a way early dodge animation making it impossible to avoid the follow up. Bonus points if you reflexively try to dodge the follow up and get stuck in another way-too-late dodge and get to eat a full three hit combo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Barudak posted:

the place is actually lousy with them. It's like they had three statues they had molds for and by God a new mold wasn't in the budget.

Grand Archives budget;

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alabaster White posted:

Next time, try siccing the mimic on him. :getin:

http://i.imgur.com/1eq0lK5.webm

Mimics don't gently caress around

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hey does anything bad happen if you kill that one person to start the dancer fight early? Like maybe someone gets mad or get locked out of something by doing that?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I'll give you the shield for free, I don't need the soul.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/internetkraken

Really? Awesome, thanks dude. Added you

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Captain Oblivious posted:

What kind of setup are you using for 700 AR out of curiosity?

SL95 with sky-high faith, +10 lightning claymore, lightning clutch ring and lloyd's sword ring with the Oath of Sunlight making up the rest of it

you could probably hit it much easier with a Lightning Astora's Greatsword or whatever its called since it has better faith scaling after infusion but i didn't want to spend that many points. maybe upon a respec? after a few more levels? idk

Luceid fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Shindragon posted:

Wow I did not notice that, nice catch.

There are Angel Framp statues all around the Dragon Armor boss area too.