Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Honestly, SC's opening does have a few spoilers, but again, at the start of the game, there's no context for them, so it's not nearly as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I never remember any of the spoilery things in the openings because there's like 60 hours of playing in between a few seconds of something I only see once and it actually showing up in game.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Last I recall, in the FC opening, we saw the Ouroboros Symbol with 'Lieutenant Lorence" , while I may have missed things, given that this is a visual example....is it safe to say that it does not appear at all in the entire game (of FC)?

....And after typing all this, I remembered that it appeared in Joshua's flashback scene.

"Is there even any point in spoiler tagging all this"

The first time when I was reading through Cake Attack's let's play, it's been a few months now so I don't recall as well, but what I do recall are the following

I noticed the whole memory loss thing, but I did not make any connection with "Professor Alba". In my opinion this is a bit of a leap in logic, but still "within reason"
I did not suspect Gilbert and Dalmore in the arson case. This one is a bit harder, but I suppose there is still evidence, if you can connect the dots.
Did not expect Richard to be behind the whole thing as well. It makes sense in retrospect since, afaik, there isn't any if much criminal activity in Liberl so...the manpower has got to come from somewhere.
Regarding Kloe, I did not remember the whole thing very clearly though....

SC:
Did not suspect the events of Chapter 3. More specifically, Renne, but the tank, the engines, and Amalthea and the goons either. Or the Gospel. Or, y'know, Pater Mater.
Did not expect the dragon crashing into Bose (though the pre chapter cutscene was definitely telling us that something was up)
Not really related: While I knew (I think I did) about Chapter 8, it would have been a long time before I found out what "ZFG" stood for
I had the general gist of more or less the rest of the game (since I was spoiled and/or I overtook the LP)

I'm spoiled of "most" of the major plot points in 3rd, Zero, Azure, less so for Cold Steel 2 (I am, the crazy person that I am, looking for more, but what can be said)
I'll almost certainly be waiting for the english release of CS2 to catch up on it, since it's not too far away. Learning more about 3rd, Zero, Azure in videos in the mean time, though I can't actually make any sense of what they are saying

MisawaMahoKodomo fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 17, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

OP quality is directly proportional to amount of bad 2000s falcom CGI

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016

Cake Attack posted:

OP quality is directly proportional to amount of bad 2000s falcom CGI

I'm confused as to what this means

For me

FC: Pretty good really.
SC: I can't remember, will comment again when I rewatch it.
FC Evo/SC Evo: For the evo versions, the art style is...kind of...odd? Also the animation "flow/pacing" is slightly awkward, moreso for the FC one than the SC one.
Other blathering aside, I feel that the shift to a more "animeyish" style feels out of place given that the game isn't in 3d.

Cold Steel: It's ok, but the animation felt a bit...awkward at times, I believe the term is CGI? Also, The Robots! And the Airship(s)

Update: I rewatched the SC OP, it's not too bad.
Though, uhm, the Glorious was a bit eh.... but otherwise, my only other qualm is
Spoilers for final chapter
The OP actually shows us the, uh, Shining Ring, of course.

Update: Rewatched FC Evo OP

Both: They both cut out Agate and Zane, while granted, their scenes in the OPs might not have been...the best, or so, but cutting them out is really a eh thing. Same for Kevin in SC Evo.
FC: Too much emphasis on Estelle and Joshua (by too much I mean the fact that they have a focus this time, the original kind of was still balanced, I think). Also the "ridiculous" fight against Lorence. And everything else said above still stands.
SC: Too many missiles. Fire breathing (lol!). Spoilers!
On the up side, More Tita, More Renne.

The vocals are a separate thing, none of them are honestly bad, but the better ones would be Trails in The Sky > (CS's Vocal)

MisawaMahoKodomo fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 17, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

God I really hope Zwei 2 in english becomes a reality one day.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Zero has the best op and every few months I watch it and hope that I can play it some day

Zero evo isn't bad for spoilers aside from the extra characters they show but that just makes me even more excited for it

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 17, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

From the XSEED FB, compiled links to all of the Trails loc updates and blogs to date:

[TRAILS SERIES LOCALIZATION BLOGS]
Trails Series Localization Blog #1: http://goo.gl/nYEXY0

Trails in the Sky #1: http://goo.gl/K9IsUz

Trails in the Sky SC #1: http://goo.gl/e9RvKF
Trails in the Sky SC #2: http://goo.gl/6mEPPT
Trails in the Sky SC #3: http://goo.gl/QQi0Q1
Trails in the Sky SC #4: http://goo.gl/2RlSuS
Trails in the Sky SC #5: http://goo.gl/N9C8lH

Trails of Cold Steel #1: http://goo.gl/C1o9U5
Trails of Cold Steel #2: http://goo.gl/nNv6Uo
Trails of Cold Steel #3: http://goo.gl/Dg7GmL
Trails of Cold Steel #4: http://goo.gl/aSg4Ry

Trails of Cold Steel II #1: https://goo.gl/KTtCGG
Trails of Cold Steel II #2: https://goo.gl/12yyyG

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yo motto it's only the zero cast but i found the SD art on it's own

the rest are here:

http://falcom.luna-sanctum.net/Falcom%20Limited%20Walls/2012/

they're a little jpg artifacty but i think this might be as good as it gets

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cool, thanks.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I can't believe cold steel ended up being as long as sky sc. hell of a game though

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
I just did Laura's June bonding event. Rean telling Laura that no woman would be interested in Dogi left me in loving stitches. That was stone cold, Rean.

I'm really enjoying this game far more than the prologue made me think I would. It's writing may not be as good as Sky, but it's still pretty magical. :allears:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

cs ending it's weird that Millium didn't really give much of a poo poo about Osbourne getting shot, seemed like she liked the guy. Maybe that'll get addressed in 2.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Lynkericious posted:

I just did Laura's June bonding event. Rean telling Laura that no woman would be interested in Dogi left me in loving stitches. That was stone cold, Rean.

I'm really enjoying this game far more than the prologue made me think I would. It's writing may not be as good as Sky, but it's still pretty magical. :allears:

Fortunately Dogi doesn't need a woman. All he needs is Adol.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Erpy posted:

Fortunately Dogi doesn't need a woman. All he needs is Adol.

http://www.worldofys.com/ysf/audio/Outtakes/Adol-Narrator_Outtake_3.mp3

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Doing the third practical exam. Whoever designed the AP requirements for this fight needs to have their head slammed in a door repeatedly. I eventually just reach a point where no matter what I do, someone gets a spell started and casted before I even get a move. I've changed my Quartz and equipment so Machias and Rean are speed demons, and it's still not helping.

Edit: Please tell me the requirement for that fight means only I can't cast magic, and it doesn't matter if they do or don't.

Lynkericious fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 20, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lynkericious posted:

Doing the third practical exam. Whoever designed the AP requirements for this fight needs to have their head slammed in a door repeatedly. I eventually just reach a point where no matter what I do, someone gets a spell started and casted before I even get a move. I've changed my Quartz and equipment so Machias and Rean are speed demons, and it's still not helping.

Edit: Please tell me the requirement for that fight means only I can't cast magic, and it doesn't matter if they do or don't.
Chapter 2's is 'don't let the enemy use arts.' Chapter 3 is 'don't use arts.'

Apparently chapter 2's is mislabeled however, and you only need to cancel one art, not every art.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

Chapter 2's is 'don't let the enemy use arts.' Chapter 3 is 'don't use arts.'

Apparently chapter 2's is mislabeled however, and you only need to cancel one art, not every art.

Well thank gently caress for that.

Though I still just managed to kill the two biggest art casters in that fight before they got a single art off, but I feel stupid knowing that I didn't have to reset every time they got one off.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

My ps3's hdd thrashes like crazy and I'm scared it's going to die before cs2 comes out :ohdear:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
So are there any good fan translations of older Falcom games that I should look at?

(Xanadu Next not counting 'cause that's getting an official release sometime soon)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

lets hang out posted:

My ps3's hdd thrashes like crazy and I'm scared it's going to die before cs2 comes out :ohdear:

Good news you can just buy a new one and shove it in there. Most basic 2.5 inch laptop hard-drives will work fine. Biggest issue may be if it's an old ps3 the screws on the bracket will be stripped.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

lets hang out posted:

Vita TVs are 40 dollars

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I have a vita tv but my cs1 save is on my ps3. I got to the highest AP rank, I'm not giving that up! I could use ps plus to backup my saves and then transfer them to a new hdd right?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lets hang out posted:

I have a vita tv but my cs1 save is on my ps3. I got to the highest AP rank, I'm not giving that up! I could use ps plus to backup my saves and then transfer them to a new hdd right?

You can also do the cross save mechanic, which I think is independent of plus?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Finally got around to playing Trails on Steam and sunk a decent amount of time into it. I was in the mood for an old school RPG and this one seemed to fit the bill. I bought it a while back thinking it was part of a large franchise, except I'd never actually heard of this franchise, instead I was thinking this was a successor to Skies of Arcadia/Nostalgia and simultaneously confusing it with the 'Tales' series.

Anyway, just finished Chapter 1, and I'm kind of wondering if the game is going to pick up or get really good or if I'm just never going to get into it. The combat is decent although I'm not a huge fan of the way it prevents you from overleveling by having a sliding exp scale as I am one of those weird types that enjoys grinding in RPGs. The characters are...better than they should be but still very classic Japanese cliches in many ways. The plot is not particularly engaging and there's a lot of things that feel very dated, like for example I just found out I lost out on a final weapon because I wasn't collecting magazines. I jumped into this instead of replaying Suikoden 5 because I felt like trying something new and didn't want to have to spend half my time reading a gamefaqs walkthrough on my ipad but I guess that's my mistake for not researching it first.

Getting back to my question, if I'm not really loving this game by the end of chapter 1 is it worth sticking with it? I'm not having a bad time playing it, it's just not really clicking but if the story picks up into high gear in the later chapters I could stick with it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It picks up into high gear

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The weapon thing isn't a big deal since the last dungeon dumps great weapons for every character onto you anyway.

As for the pacing, it does "pick up", but it takes a bit. It'll mostly be teases between resolving incidents in each region that are self-contained on the surface until stuff starts coming together near the end of Chapter 3.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

Finally got around to playing Trails on Steam and sunk a decent amount of time into it. I was in the mood for an old school RPG and this one seemed to fit the bill. I bought it a while back thinking it was part of a large franchise, except I'd never actually heard of this franchise, instead I was thinking this was a successor to Skies of Arcadia/Nostalgia and simultaneously confusing it with the 'Tales' series.

Anyway, just finished Chapter 1, and I'm kind of wondering if the game is going to pick up or get really good or if I'm just never going to get into it. The combat is decent although I'm not a huge fan of the way it prevents you from overleveling by having a sliding exp scale as I am one of those weird types that enjoys grinding in RPGs. The characters are...better than they should be but still very classic Japanese cliches in many ways. The plot is not particularly engaging and there's a lot of things that feel very dated, like for example I just found out I lost out on a final weapon because I wasn't collecting magazines. I jumped into this instead of replaying Suikoden 5 because I felt like trying something new and didn't want to have to spend half my time reading a gamefaqs walkthrough on my ipad but I guess that's my mistake for not researching it first.

Getting back to my question, if I'm not really loving this game by the end of chapter 1 is it worth sticking with it? I'm not having a bad time playing it, it's just not really clicking but if the story picks up into high gear in the later chapters I could stick with it.

Chapter 2 is way better than Chapter 1, so I'd recommend pushing on. If you still don't like the game then, it's not for you.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Don't bother with collecting the books if you don't want to, the ultimate weapons are neither necessary nor even that amazing

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep pushing onward. As my enjoyment of Suikoden 5 suggests, I'm not willing to let a terrible first chapter stand in the way of a great Chapters 2-5.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Don't bother with collecting the books if you don't want to, the ultimate weapons are neither necessary nor even that amazing

I don't really care, I was just using that to illustrate that I went into this expecting something a bit lighter. The only reason I was in the FAQ was to see what else I could have caught from that fishing dialogue fork.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 23, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

This is actually a super important point. The book weapons only add an extra 10 strength over the final dungeon weapons and the book windows are exceedingly slim. Don't even sweat it.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Chapter 1 is a bit of a slog. The game starts off slowly and things start picking up in the next chapter. The chapter following that one up has a brief speed-bump and then really kicks into high gear. The last chapter is a friggin roller-coaster.

About the characters, most characters in the series are introduced as fairly common anime tropes then they slowly start developing. The Trails franchise doesn't aim to avoid Japanese tropes, but rather execute them well.

One little thing about the game you noted that's part of the series; don't try to 100% them without a guide. Either you follow a guide from start to finish or you accept the fact you're not gonna get every single hidden thing during your first playthrough and just focus on playing.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Erpy posted:

One little thing about the game you noted that's part of the series; don't try to 100% them without a guide. Either you follow a guide from start to finish or you accept the fact you're not gonna get every single hidden thing during your first playthrough and just focus on playing.

I cannot agree with this enough. I have problems with these games where I'm neurotic enough to the point I can't play them UNLESS I'm 100%ing everything, I'd strongly suggest just letting your first playthrough be focusing on playing if you don't want to be glued to a guide.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Lol Eliot's S. Craft being when they enter some random sewer and not after he has a big heart to heart with the team is so dumb

Like, you don't even do anything significant with him in between those two moments, why would they wait for this?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

100%ing video games is lame

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

100%ing video games is lame

I've literally never done it lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i only go for it when it's something like klonoa or donkey kong country or banjo-kazooie or pretty much anything where there's any real fun incentive to do it

and even then i rarely really get around to it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

excluding games where that's synonymous with beating the game, obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Wait no I got all 120 stars in mario 64, disregard