Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh, right, that one. Woops. Yeah, I decided to just go with Caesar's New Regime for that, as well as a mod that adds more Legion encampments. Sorry, got my wires crossed.

Would you mind sharing your thoughts on New Regime? I thought it looked neat, but it did seem to suffer from major feature creep and had those Legion Huntresses or whatever the women in modified prostitute outfits with katanas were called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
My last game I ripped out all the poo poo from CNR and the NCR mods and just kept the cool new armor, need to see if I still have that install.

Actually, it might be time for a fresh game again, maybe TTW. Hard to go back from the great QOL stuff in fallout 4 though.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

All of a sudden I can't get Signature Weapon or Signature Armor to load. I remember last playthrough I had problems with them not working correctly, but at least they loaded. Anyone else encounter this?

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I have a not super great computer (skylake core M, intel hd 515 onboard graphics), but I want to play this game on it. I haven't exactly played the game to death before. The mods I have right now are Better Game Performance, NVAC and jsawyer.

With this in mind, are there any must-have mods I should get to have a good time?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I love Lombard Station. The OP has a very strong list of mods if you haven't gone through them already.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Bobfly posted:

I have a not super great computer (skylake core M, intel hd 515 onboard graphics), but I want to play this game on it. I haven't exactly played the game to death before. The mods I have right now are Better Game Performance, NVAC and jsawyer.
With this in mind, are there any must-have mods I should get to have a good time?
Yukichigai Unofficial Patch is a solid bugfix pack.

My go to advice for people new to modding is to not install a fuckton of mods when you haven't even really played the game. Go play the vanilla game (the setup you have now is close enough to vanilla) for at least a couple of hours so you have a good idea of what sort of stuff you want to change/add/remove. Then go over the OP. If you can't find what you're looking for, come back with "Hey, I'm looking for a mod that does X".

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 31, 2016

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Raygereio posted:

Yukichigai Unofficial Patch is a solid bugfix pack.

My go to advice for people new to modding is to not install a fuckton of mods when you haven't even really played the game. Go play the vanilla game (the setup you have now is close enough to vanilla) for at least a couple of hours so you have a good idea of what sort of stuff you want to change/add/remove. Then go over the OP. If you can't find what you're looking for, come back with "Hey, I'm looking for a mod that does X".

Seems very reasonable, and pretty much the answer I was hoping for. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything that unequivocally improves the game, like SPERG for Skyrim.

My graphics card is probably too weak to handle any real graphics mods, huh.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Project Nevada is a must though you should play without it first to understand fully how much it adds to the game.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I'm not playing a 100 hour game twice, though. Not in the foreseeable future.

E: Also, it seems to be incompatible with the jsawyer mod (which I'd very much like to play with)?

Bobfly fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 31, 2016

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Bobfly posted:

I'm not playing a 100 hour game twice, though. Not in the foreseeable future.

E: Also, it seems to be incompatible with the jsawyer mod (which I'd very much like to play with)?

They're not incompatible. If I'm remembering this correctly, Project Nevada's Rebalance Module (Which is optional) does change some of the same values edited by jsawyer (Mostly healing rates and whatnot, IIRC), when a conflict like this occurs the game simply uses the values of whatever .esp is loaded last. And in any case, the Mod Control Menu (Bundled with PN) allows you to change pretty much all of the values in question on the fly, so you can reset them to jsawyer's numbers or to something else entirely, depending on your preference.

Edit: Nobody's saying you should play through the whole vanilla game first, just that you dick around for a couple hours or so before you start getting big ideas about what kinds of mods you actually want to use (No use getting a mod that adds to the Hardcore experience, for instance, if you decide after a while that you hate hardcore).

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Bobfly posted:

As Acebuckeye13 said, only PN's Rebalance module conflicts with Jsawyer.
If you want to use the Rebalance module alongside JSawyer check this post for more info.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 1, 2016

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Bobfly posted:

Seems very reasonable, and pretty much the answer I was hoping for. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything that unequivocally improves the game, like SPERG for Skyrim.

My graphics card is probably too weak to handle any real graphics mods, huh.

If you turn off anti-aliasing you can probably handle higher textures and special effects. Probably not ENBs and stuff though.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Goodsprings water contaminated??

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

There's goddamned radscorpions anf bloatflies up by the water tower. A little lead is the least of their worriea.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Wow, guys. You're really helpful, I appreciate it very much, and I will certainly take your input to heart. Thanks very much!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

"Well, best take on my newsman fedora..."

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Is there any good clothing mod that isn't fetish clothes or tacitcool armor? Like I just want some normal clothes. it can be in the western theme or just like, modern stuff.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

PrinceRandom posted:

Is there any good clothing mod that isn't fetish clothes or tacitcool armor? Like I just want some normal clothes. it can be in the western theme or just like, modern stuff.

Spice of Life
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/44476/

It needs type3 and one of the male bodies for the skin textures, but the clothing it adds isn't anything too out there. Lots of western style stuff and wasteland junk armor outfits.. mostly mashups of vanilla assets, so it fits in pretty well. It's also all incorporated into the leveled lists, so NPCs can appear wearing the new gear in addition to the vanilla stuff.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Ok 2 things now.

NMM is absolutely refusing to recognize the JIP NVSE. It shows up installed and activatedd in the mod section but not in the plugins section and everytime i boot it says that Select Fire needs a newer install of the plugin (I have v27).

Also is there an easy way to mod Leveled lists? Something (I think LPAM) adds stupid helmets to the ncr troops and I wanna remove it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

PrinceRandom posted:

Also is there an easy way to mod Leveled lists? Something (I think LPAM) adds stupid helmets to the ncr troops and I wanna remove it.
It depends on whether the mod edited the list form directly, or via a script.
If it's the former, then you can simply open the mod up in FNVEdit and remove the stupid helmet from the leveled list. Be sure to also edit any compatibility patch that might include said list. When you load up your save you won't see a change immediately. It will happen the next time the NPC's inventory is reset.
If the mod edited the leveled list via a script, then you're screwed. It's stuck permanently in your save file. Removing the mod will just cause the game to crash when it attempts to access the item. The only way to get rid of it is to remove the mod and start a new game. As a workaround you could fire up FNVEdit and edit the stupid helmet item to be invisible (removing the entry for the model & the biped flags should do it) or swap the model with a less stupid looking helmet.

Also: Don't use NMM.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 5, 2016

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

PrinceRandom posted:

Ok 2 things now.

NMM is

Problem detected.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Raygereio posted:

Also: Don't use NMM.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Wov3xawyE

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Awesome! Now add in the weapon/armor modding system of 4 and I'll never have to play 4 again.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Kumaton posted:

Awesome! Now add in the weapon/armor modding system of 4 and I'll never have to play 4 again.

eh. it doesn't really need that, tho breaking down junk to make stuff is cool in the spirit of post apocalypticism

edit: oh also on my problem. I moved to FOMM but even there I can activate JIP NVSE but it still isn't recognized.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

PrinceRandom posted:

edit: oh also on my problem. I moved to FOMM but even there I can activate JIP NVSE but it still isn't recognized.
Do a filesearch for "jip_nvse.dll". This file should be located at "\Data\nvse\plugins" If it's not located under that path, it somehow got installed wrong. Remove it and "jip_nvse_ng.dll" from wherever FOMM might have placed them. Then copy them over to "\Data\nvse\plugins" (create the nvse & plugins folder if they don't exist yet).

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 8, 2016

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

:staredog:

Also, losing karma for stealing from a women who sold another women to the legion.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

:staredog:

Also, losing karma for stealing from a women who sold another women to the legion.

And for the grave sin of being "uppity" at that.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

PrinceRandom posted:

Ok 2 things now.

NMM is absolutely refusing to recognize the JIP NVSE. It shows up installed and activatedd in the mod section but not in the plugins section and everytime i boot it says that Select Fire needs a newer install of the plugin (I have v27).

It won't show up in your Plugins list because it doesn't have an .esp or .esm file

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The more stuff that gets backported from Fallout 4, the happier I will be. Do you think they'd ever be able to implement Power Armour the way it works in FO4? Not just the customizable parts system, but the physical differences when wearing the armour? Power Armour looks kinda weird in FO3 and New Vegas in retrospect where you appear hulking, but a tad too short. And since it is tied to your character's animations, it looks a little strange with some of the movements as opposed to the almost loping gait of the FO4 frames.

Also, I tried the ENB series and my framerate tanked, so I'm looking at alternatives that give it the same feel but less vaseline covered. Right now I'm using a combination of Imaginator settings and the SweetFX injector, but I really think I need to use a different skybox mod. Western Skies just isn't working for me.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So if I want a UI mod that only removes the compass, which one is my best bet? The top rated mods in the UI category on Nexus seem to either include a ton of other stuff I'm not sure I want to mess with, or require downloading several other mods. Is there something more streamlined available?

And what's a good mod for giving myself a few more traits? Not looking for something over-powered like what I've mainly seen on the Nexus, i just want to better customize my PC. And is there a mod that lets me pick more than two?

How well do jsawyer, Project Nevada, and YUP play well together? I'm definitely going with jsawyer, and I've held off on the PN rebalance patch, but I'm curious how adding YUP to the mix would affect things? I've also got Outside Bets in there if that affects things.

Canemacar fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 12, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can anyone explain what exactly ENBoost will do? Does it operate like the 4gb enabler by letting the game use more memory so it doesn't crash?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can anyone explain what exactly ENBoost will do? Does it operate like the 4gb enabler by letting the game use more memory so it doesn't crash?

It's a well-regarded glaucoma simulator for video games that's made by a pile of biohazard waste in the rough shape of a member of homo sapiens.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It's a well-regarded glaucoma simulator for video games that's made by a pile of biohazard waste in the rough shape of a member of homo sapiens.

But enough about boris voronstov. I know what enb is, the washed out Vaseline simulator. But what is enboost?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

But enough about boris voronstov. I know what enb is, the washed out Vaseline simulator. But what is enboost?

From what I remember it launches a little application that reserves some system memory and dedicates it to your game. Useful if you keep running up against memory limits that make your game crash. I'm not sure with NV, but in Skyrim modding, it wasn't advisable to use ENBoost and the 4gb NVSE hack.

Are there any mods that give you a wearable guitar? Preferably one that goes in the backpack slot for apparel instead of a weapon. I've found some glasses, a katana, and a Pre-war suit...

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
There's a mod called Satchels that has a backpack guitar in it.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Canemacar posted:

From what I remember it launches a little application that reserves some system memory and dedicates it to your game. Useful if you keep running up against memory limits that make your game crash. I'm not sure with NV, but in Skyrim modding, it wasn't advisable to use ENBoost and the 4gb NVSE hack.

Are there any mods that give you a wearable guitar? Preferably one that goes in the backpack slot for apparel instead of a weapon. I've found some glasses, a katana, and a Pre-war suit...

There's actually a full on Six String Samurai mod out there that does that. The glasses, suit, and sword are in Goodsprings cemetery, and I believe the guitar is part of the suit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay, lesson learned. Do not cross Repopulated Wasteland with Freeside Open. Bad things will happen.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

There's actually a full on Six String Samurai mod out there that does that. The glasses, suit, and sword are in Goodsprings cemetery, and I believe the guitar is part of the suit.

Sweet. Just nabbed it. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I'm a bit behind on gamebryo mod drama, what's so terrible about the maker of ENB?