Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Theres no way thats going to be cheaper than the hking one with good shipping (I got a pair super quick at $36 w/ my platinum account)

i tried. ordered it a month ago. usps hosed up and accidentally returned it (?). wasted half a day in line at the post office because they send poo poo w/ signature required (why? they've never given a straight answer on that). finally get up to the window and "uhh, it's not here.. looks like it got put int he wrong spot and sent back."

i'm done with hobby king, the extra $15 is more than worth my time and sanity.

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

n.. posted:

i tried. ordered it a month ago. usps hosed up and accidentally returned it (?). wasted half a day in line at the post office because they send poo poo w/ signature required (why? they've never given a straight answer on that). finally get up to the window and "uhh, it's not here.. looks like it got put int he wrong spot and sent back."

i'm done with hobby king, the extra $15 is more than worth my time and sanity.

Yeah, I agree. Hobbyking has great prices but I just won't deal with their shipping bullshit anymore. One time things came just fine but twice I have ordered from them and had the items get sent to some weird rear end DHL? shipping depot in an industrial district instead of my local post office like every other item I ever ordered from amazon/ebay/alibaba/banggood/etc.

Also, they do the annoying "legitimate" business thing and list the EXACT cost of the items and detail that it has lipos, etc. So you're paying extra fees to pick stuff up as well. It's shady as poo poo but I like that other less reputable places will just say "hobby parts, $5.00" and bypass all that.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

Also, they do the annoying "legitimate" business thing and list the EXACT cost of the items and detail that it has lipos, etc. So you're paying extra fees to pick stuff up as well. It's shady as poo poo but I like that other less reputable places will just say "hobby parts, $5.00" and bypass all that.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Anyone try Liftoff?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is sealing up a 250 quad, to reduce wind turbulences, worth the additional weight of the plastic?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
What does everyone thing about some of the toy-grade quads? My friend showed me his Syma X8C over the weekend and it seemed really cool as an "intro to quads", especially for ~$80. Flight time was good even when pulling his gopro around.

Obviously you guys seem to be into rolling your own, but are the toy grade ones a good place to start?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dreesemonkey posted:

What does everyone thing about some of the toy-grade quads? My friend showed me his Syma X8C over the weekend and it seemed really cool as an "intro to quads", especially for ~$80. Flight time was good even when pulling his gopro around.

Obviously you guys seem to be into rolling your own, but are the toy grade ones a good place to start?

Yeah Symas are fine to get your feet wet. $80 is a lot for a toy grade though unless it's one of those FPV Hubsan ones

Hubsan x4 and Blade Nano QX get recommended often but neither of those will come close to lifting a gopro

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is sealing up a 250 quad, to reduce wind turbulences, worth the additional weight of the plastic?

Probably not, unless you're racing at 60mph+ on the regular.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Yeah Symas are fine to get your feet wet. $80 is a lot for a toy grade though unless it's one of those FPV Hubsan ones

Hubsan x4 and Blade Nano QX get recommended often but neither of those will come close to lifting a gopro

The X8C is more or less a feature-stripped Phantom clone, so it's quite big. It also has a crappy camera already attached, but a phantom gopro mount slides right on. I have seen those small quads and they're really neat, but I'd primarily like to get some video/stills up in the air if possible so that's why I was leaning towards the Syma (possibly).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DeSyUhbSCM

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

MrYenko posted:

Probably not, unless you're racing at 60mph+ on the regular.

I'm not even sure that's true. I'd like to see some testing.. but those flat arms out in the wind are really awful for aerodynamics.

If you want to close in your airframe... I'd probally suggest the fabric route, versus plastic. It's good for keeping thing clean, but I suspect not a lot else.

Have i complained recently about choosing brushless motors? And props. And gettting combinations right.

The motors and escs that came with my hex were, lets say laughable. 1000kv motors, 30amp ESCS. With the equipped props they never draw more than say 19amps. But they also stop making more thrust at like 15amps. Hovering they seemed ok, but when one motor cut out, and it fell (I assume due to overheating..) ... well I figure it's time for new motors.

I ordered a set of these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__67016__Quanum_MT_Series_2227_800KV_Brushless_Multirotor_Motor_Built_by_DYS.html To replace the 2212's that are on the airframe now. 200kv less, and a much bigger motor, it should be able to sustain the amp load without cooking.

I also have some really shallow blades ordered. 12x3.8's. Along with some 11x4.7's. I'm hoping some more swept area will let me make some more lift with lower amp draw.

We shall see....

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Fabric is a clever idea. Weighs way less than 2-3 perimeters of 3D printed plastic.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The biggest issue for quad aerodynamics seems to be that they can fly in any direction. With planes and boats there are body lines that give away direction of travel because the aero/hydrodynamics? are built into their basic function. How do you do that to a quad that can go full throttle and instantly change directions?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The biggest issue for quad aerodynamics seems to be that they can fly in any direction. With planes and boats there are body lines that give away direction of travel because the aero/hydrodynamics? are built into their basic function. How do you do that to a quad that can go full throttle and instantly change directions?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nerobro posted:

I'm not even sure that's true. I'd like to see some testing.. but those flat arms out in the wind are really awful for aerodynamics.

They certainly are, but any effort at cleaning up a quad that I've ever seen has dramatically increased not only the cross sectional area as it applies to forward flight, but also the area of structure under the rotors. My gut feeling is that at the low speeds that quads generally operate at, you'd be better served trying to minimize structural size and mass, rather than attempting to improve the C/D.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

No.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

MrYenko posted:

They certainly are, but any effort at cleaning up a quad that I've ever seen has dramatically increased not only the cross sectional area as it applies to forward flight, but also the area of structure under the rotors. My gut feeling is that at the low speeds that quads generally operate at, you'd be better served trying to minimize structural size and mass, rather than attempting to improve the C/D.

I've got ideas for taking care of that. I've outlined them earlier in the thread. There are "unstallable" airfoils, that still provide the drag reduction of an airfoil. Heck, just some standoffs to raise the prop disk, and a "nose fairing" would more than halve the drag of the arms. It's fairly easy to design a fairing that's aerodynamic in at least two directions.. the two that matter for a quad are forward, and "up". The warpquads with the vertical stack of battery, flight controller, camera.. are going the right direction with that.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nerobro posted:

I've got ideas for taking care of that. I've outlined them earlier in the thread. There are "unstallable" airfoils, that still provide the drag reduction of an airfoil. Heck, just some standoffs to raise the prop disk, and a "nose fairing" would more than halve the drag of the arms. It's fairly easy to design a fairing that's aerodynamic in at least two directions.. the two that matter for a quad are forward, and "up". The warpquads with the vertical stack of battery, flight controller, camera.. are going the right direction with that.

That's fine, but you need all 3 dimensions for a racequad. The biggest factors are props and weight with CG trailing at a distant third. Aerodynamic efficiency on something where 90% of the surface presented to the airflow is the props is largely relevant, more so when it comes at the cost of weight & strength.

This is still worth reposting, though: http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?37954-World-speed-record-with-250mm-(or-under)-size-quad
This is made for straightline speed only, but it's still interesting.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That's fine, but you need all 3 dimensions for a racequad. The biggest factors are props and weight with CG trailing at a distant third. Aerodynamic efficiency on something where 90% of the surface presented to the airflow is the props is largely relevant, more so when it comes at the cost of weight & strength.

This is still worth reposting, though: http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?37954-World-speed-record-with-250mm-(or-under)-size-quad
This is made for straightline speed only, but it's still interesting.

Imagine getting a free 20% more thrust. That's what you're going to get with good aerodynamics on the arms. You can trade that for smaller props to make the thing more agile.

Making the fuselage .. wing-ish.. would give you more more thrust to throw at corners without needing more horsepower.

... I'm going to need to break out the math on this, aren't I?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nerobro posted:

Imagine getting a free 20% more thrust. That's what you're going to get with good aerodynamics on the arms. You can trade that for smaller props to make the thing more agile.

Making the fuselage .. wing-ish.. would give you more more thrust to throw at corners without needing more horsepower.

... I'm going to need to break out the math on this, aren't I?

Sure, break out the math. Better yet, build one and prove it.
You may be able to get 20% more thrust in some situations, but it will come at a cost in others and most definitely will come at the cost of more weight and less durability.
Again, look at the fpvlab thread and see how much trouble he has getting it to work for a quad flying in a straight line.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I Want to Believe this can be put into practice. I guess those clear plastic waterproof frames are pretty close.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Sure, break out the math. Better yet, build one and prove it.
You may be able to get 20% more thrust in some situations, but it will come at a cost in others and most definitely will come at the cost of more weight and less durability.
Again, look at the fpvlab thread and see how much trouble he has getting it to work for a quad flying in a straight line.

I've got some testing equipment .. I can do that. I "should" do that. I'm not talking 20% more thrust in "some" situations, i'm talking 20% in ALL situations. If you're getting 20% more thrust, you can afford some weight. Arm fairings don't need to have any effect on durability. An aerodynamic fuselage definitely leads to "more things to break"

I have checked that FPVlab thread. I like it a lot. He's doing a lot of things right.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nerobro posted:

I've got some testing equipment .. I can do that. I "should" do that. I'm not talking 20% more thrust in "some" situations, i'm talking 20% in ALL situations. If you're getting 20% more thrust, you can afford some weight. Arm fairings don't need to have any effect on durability. An aerodynamic fuselage definitely leads to "more things to break"

I have checked that FPVlab thread. I like it a lot. He's doing a lot of things right.

Well, you could probably become pretty rich if you can come up with a practical design that offers 20% more thrust.
You have access to a a wind tunnel? Aerodynamics software?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I don't think that current race quads are lacking top speed, maneuverability or power to an extent that aerodynamics would really add much. Most races seem to be lost at the moment through attrition in that most pilots are crashing out and not finishing or not posting the best times before they wipe out.

Maybe one day people will get so good at flying the the things that a little bit more straightline speed matters or endurance formats will become a thing and aerodynamics might make a difference. But at the moment everyone is flying grossly overpowered carbon bricks on short racetracks for a few mins at a time. I don't see fancy cowlings etc trumping durability any time soon.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Well I'll be damned, by some miracle usps pulled through and delivered my teensy cam/vtx from HK.

This is hilariously fun. Need to figure what the best motors i can use with the beef's brushed board are for maximum oomph, because it flies weak af like this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Nerobro posted:

Do you think something like this to wrap around the arms would help something thrust-wise?

--edit: Or would the peaks need to be angles forward (and backward respectively) to deal with wind facing the drone during flight?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 21, 2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

n.. posted:

Well I'll be damned, by some miracle usps pulled through and delivered my teensy cam/vtx from HK.

This is hilariously fun. Need to figure what the best motors i can use with the beef's brushed board are for maximum oomph, because it flies weak af like this.

The black edition 8mm from micro motor warehouse

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Well that was easy. Thanks.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

dreesemonkey posted:

The Syma x8c is a great quad. I highly recommend it for outdoor flying and aerial photography. It's extremely easy to add a bunch of accessories and you can have a really decent camera drone for around $150 if you don't mind tinkering with some DIY stuff.

Add a Runcam HD with a home-made "credit card mount" (check youtube) and you'll be pretty happy with the results. I also added a Boscam TS351 5.8ghz transmitter and ordered an Eachine VR-007 for FPV flying. I also just installed a 2.4ghz signal amplifier for increased range, but haven't been able to try it out yet.

My next quad is going to be a Phantom. You outgrew the toy quads really quickly...

The Shep fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 21, 2016

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Well, you could probably become pretty rich if you can come up with a practical design that offers 20% more thrust.
You have access to a a wind tunnel? Aerodynamics software?

20% better than conventional race quads. Not 20% better than a good prop, nacelle, and strut. I'm clever, i'm not able to bend the laws of physics. :-)

Cheap wind tunnels come in the form of the tops of cars. If I need to simulate the drag/thrust on a airframe strapping it to a car and giving it a go is a fair shot.

mashed_penguin posted:

I don't think that current race quads are lacking top speed, maneuverability or power to an extent that aerodynamics would really add much. Most races seem to be lost at the moment through attrition in that most pilots are crashing out and not finishing or not posting the best times before they wipe out.

Maybe one day people will get so good at flying the the things that a little bit more straightline speed matters or endurance formats will become a thing and aerodynamics might make a difference. But at the moment everyone is flying grossly overpowered carbon bricks on short racetracks for a few mins at a time. I don't see fancy cowlings etc trumping durability any time soon.

I can't say you're wrong. But there's a whole lot of noise about "this one is faster" and "this one has a better power to weight ratio." It really works out to "free power". Even it weighs more, I bet the return in thrust will be more than the weight of arm fairings.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Do you think something like this to wrap around the arms would help something thrust-wise?

--edit: Or would the peaks need to be angles forward (and backward respectively) to deal with wind facing the drone during flight?

That's kinda the idea, and that's better than a flat arm. But if you're doing something like that, you might do an actual airfoil and do even better. Below a 3:1 aspect ratio, airfoils really don't stall. If you did a teardrop shape, with the tail going towards the rear of the quad, in addition to getting less drag from the flat arm, you'd also pick up some forward thrust.

The actual angle of the airfoil would need to be a compromise between the airstream coming off the props, body angle of the quad, and incoming air stream. My bet.. is somewhere with a chord angle of about 30 deg off of vertical would be the right sort of idea. But that would be found out through testing.

The ideal test rig, would be a tubular armed quad, where an airfoil could be slipped over the arms, and the angle changed until best performance is found.

Just to emphasize the point. The Cd of a flat plate (standard quad arms) is 1.28. A round nose bluff shape (like a mario bullet) is somewhere around .3 An airfoil is more like .05. Figure any potential thrust your motor makes is "gone" when applied to the flat plate of the arm, a round nose bluff shape would get you back 3/4 of that thrust. An airfoil shape, would get you back more than 90% of it. On a tough race quad, with wide arms, and small swept area that would be a LOT of thrust.

For example, if in free air, you're making 600g of thrust on a 5x4. That means you've got 18 square inches of swept area. (excluding the motor area in the middle) On a ZMR250, that arm is eating two square inches of your swept area. That works out to something like 70g of lost thrust due to prop-wash blocking. "any" kind of fairing would get you 52g back. Or 200 some grams for the airframe as a whole.

This all doesn't consider the effects at speeds beyond a few miles an hour. Any sort of aerodynamic advantage matters more as speeds go up.

... I want my motors for my hex. :-(

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nerobro posted:

Cheap wind tunnels come in the form of the tops of cars. If I need to simulate the drag/thrust on a airframe strapping it to a car and giving it a go is a fair shot.

And just how will you measure the drag?..and you're going to do this for all attitudes?

Nerobro posted:

For example, if in free air, you're making 600g of thrust on a 5x4. That means you've got 18 square inches of swept area. (excluding the motor area in the middle) On a ZMR250, that arm is eating two square inches of your swept area. That works out to something like 70g of lost thrust due to prop-wash blocking. "any" kind of fairing would get you 52g back. Or 200 some grams for the airframe as a whole.

Except that you still have the low pressure that the prop creates in front, a gap behind the prop and the arm,etc, so s straight calculation of Cd wont work.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

And just how will you measure the drag?
a thrust stand does a really good job of measuring that sort of thing.

quote:

..and you're going to do this for all attitudes?
Depends on how saucy I feel. It don't think it'll matter a whole lot, as a less than 3:1 ratio airfoil isn't that great as things go..

quote:

Except that you still have the low pressure that the prop creates in front, a gap behind the prop and the arm,etc, so s straight calculation of Cd wont work.
The area in front of the prop doesn't have a whole lot of affect on thrust. (mounting props under the arms would negate most of what i'm talking about) No, straight Cd isn't perfect, but it's good for the ballpark. I don't think you'll be seeing massively different results from real life versus "comparing Cd".

I don't know if I have a spare quad arm hanging around.... we'll see. I need to get my friend over, we have some other testing to do as well.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm slowly getting everything together, got the d4r-ii fitted (had to remove the case and direct solder everything), converted a dell server psu to be used as the power supply for the icharger 206b, bought 2 Tattu 3s 1800mah batteries (a graphene on the way too). Still waiting on my fatsharks (ebay seller lagged on shipping them out, got an in transit notification but no tracking #).

Things I still need to figure out:

1. Setting up failsafes in both cleanflight and the d4r-ii (I would appreciate any tips on this, I don't want my little quad to fly away :()
2. Continue figuring out my Taranis
4. Figure out how to route my long rear end d4r-ii antennas so they don't get diced
3. Crash immediately, break everything and QQ about it

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 21, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Oscar Liang has the answers to most of your questions:
http://blog.oscarliang.net/failsafe-rx-fc-naze32-frsky-d4rii/

As for the antennas, I route mine through a couple of thin straws. Others use zip-ties as guides

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
Zip-tie plus heat shrink tube is a good way to do it. On my new build, I put the antennae in a plastic tubing as well for extra protection in case it gets bent into the choppy zone. You can scavenge the plastic tube form air dusters or empty pump spray bottles.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Nerobro posted:

That's kinda the idea, and that's better than a flat arm. But if you're doing something like that, you might do an actual airfoil and do even better. Below a 3:1 aspect ratio, airfoils really don't stall. If you did a teardrop shape, with the tail going towards the rear of the quad, in addition to getting less drag from the flat arm, you'd also pick up some forward thrust.
Kinda like this then? I guess I could fillet the edge to make it teardrop-ish.

I still need to make the counterpart. The other one was symmetrical and less work. There's only so much airfoil you can emulate before things get way too big. The edge has already only distance 3-4mm to the prop.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 21, 2016

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit
Speaking of enclosed frames, has anyone been following the X PlusOne? 60+ mph is pretty impressive. Admittedly, it's flying like a fixed wing to achieve those speeds.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Finally had my first extended acro session today without instantly something going wrong. Certainly much more fun, but throttle management is a pain in the rear end in the driftuuuu style rear end-out banked turns, because the quad belly is like an airfoil pushing everything up.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Kinda like this then? I guess I could fillet the edge to make it teardrop-ish.

I still need to make the counterpart. The other one was symmetrical and less work. There's only so much airfoil you can emulate before things get way too big. The edge has already only distance 3-4mm to the prop.

A quarter or half inch spacer under the motor would really help that situation. And even your first design would have a huge affect on drag. I appreciate your modeling.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Is this a custom frame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
It's a Shendrones Krieger frame: http://www.shendrones.com/krieger