Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

I agree the Doomsday fight was pretty cool. Yeah it was an overly CGI special effects shitshow but it was a real nice looking one.
I was actually surprised how well the CG held up throughout the entire battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Travis343 posted:

So based on my observations there seems to be 2 crowds of people that loved BvS - completely uncritical nerds who love everything with a batsignal on it and think it's unironically badass when tons of people die in a superhero movie, and extremely critical nerds who are desperate to appear more educated than other nerds and so call movies 'cinema' and hate every Marvel movie because I guess there's a lot of cars in the street in Avengers.

Accurate?

It's stupid, I actually enjoyed the film, enough I'll buy it when it comes out on bluray. It feels like something I can pop in once and a while and watch while i'm playing Marvel heroes or Fallout or something. Why did I like it? It's like Revenge of the Sith, there's a lot of poo poo in there, but there's some stuff i legitimately enjoy. One of the major characters is actively terrible while others are just there, but others are actually trying to make bad material work. Plus there are certain things that when I see them, i turn into a kid who just loves this poo poo uncritically because I'm a kid, whether those are lightsabers and X-wings, or Superman flying or Batman grappling.

Though we've talked about this before, how you can say "this is a bad movie" but still enjoy it. This isn't Wolverine Origins or Green Lantern, or as was mentioned, Suckerpunch.

I mean, the only things I activily hated was Doomsday and The Flash, and not the characters being there, but what we got on screen. Lazy boring Doomsday design and a Flash that looks like someone never actually looked at who anyone who's held that title is.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Travis343 posted:

So based on my observations there seems to be 2 crowds of people that loved BvS - completely uncritical nerds who love everything with a batsignal on it and think it's unironically badass when tons of people die in a superhero movie, and extremely critical nerds who are desperate to appear more educated than other nerds and so call movies 'cinema' and hate every Marvel movie because I guess there's a lot of cars in the street in Avengers.

Accurate?

'Everyone who likes different movies than me is subhuman'

I think you should try being more positive

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

twistedmentat posted:

It's stupid, I actually enjoyed the film, enough I'll buy it when it comes out on bluray. It feels like something I can pop in once and a while and watch while i'm playing Marvel heroes or Fallout or something. Why did I like it? It's like Revenge of the Sith, there's a lot of poo poo in there, but there's some stuff i legitimately enjoy. One of the major characters is actively terrible while others are just there, but others are actually trying to make bad material work. Plus there are certain things that when I see them, i turn into a kid who just loves this poo poo uncritically because I'm a kid, whether those are lightsabers and X-wings, or Superman flying or Batman grappling.

Though we've talked about this before, how you can say "this is a bad movie" but still enjoy it. This isn't Wolverine Origins or Green Lantern, or as was mentioned, Suckerpunch.

I mean, the only things I activily hated was Doomsday and The Flash, and not the characters being there, but what we got on screen. Lazy boring Doomsday design and a Flash that looks like someone never actually looked at who anyone who's held that title is.

To be honest I like origins better. BVS doesn't have Will.I.AM "acting"

It has Gal Gadot who doesn't act well either but it just isn't the same

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 20, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

One thing I love about BvS is that the first time you see Batman, he's up in the corner of that room, looking like some inhuman monster. Gave me a similar rush of excitement like Batman Begins when they did "Where are you!?" "Here!"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Goffer posted:

There was a study done recently where it was found that people with botox can't mirror the facial expression of people and therefore find it hard to empathise or relate emotionally to another person. In fact, one of the main ways we feel emotion and empathy is generally though mirroring the facial expressions of others. Maybe it's superman's golemlike gorm throughout the movies makes the viewer less able to actually feel anything for him or the movie as there is little opportunity to feel any emotion in the movie.

___/
I sure would like to be somewhere else right now, the viewer mirrors

This is competent acting. Superman is torn about being worshipped as god.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 20, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

:laffo: The other thread kept calling you on making poo poo up and being willfully ignorant, glad you found a friendly trough to slop in.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hey! Who you callin' friendly? :mad:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Every desperate defense I see of BvS makes me more excited to not see it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

King of Foolians posted:

I know he stopped the World Engine in MoS and took down Doomsday which saved countless lives, blah blah blah, but it still didn't feel like him saving the day.

That's a weird position.

It's kind of obvious that the day was saved if you think about it for a moment.

King of Foolians posted:

This is even carried over into BvS. Uncle Ben and Spiderman taught us that 'with great power comes great responsibility', but according to Ma Kent, with great power comes....well, you don't owe anything to anyone.

This is true, it's better to help as a choice.

e:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Every desperate defense I see of BvS makes me more excited to not see it.

I'm certainly afraid, because people in this thread have suggested that directors should not have freedom with genre properties, so that stuff like BvS is not made again.

It's a rather horrifying prospect.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 20, 2016

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

My Superman is Ben Affleck.. But in Hollywoodland.

Seriously, everyone go watch Hollywoodland.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That Liefeld commentary track...

Electromax
May 6, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm certainly afraid, because people in this thread have suggested that directors should not have freedom with genre properties, so that stuff like BvS is not made again.

It's a rather horrifying prospect.

Afraid, really? I think you have convinced yourself that this thread is more important to the overall path of cinema as an institution over the next 100 years than it actually is.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I am terrified, terrified that cinema may not see something so brilliant as Zack Snyder's Man of Steel 2 again

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I am terrified, terrified that cinema may not see something so brilliant as Zack Snyder's Man of Steel 2 again

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

zoux posted:

That Liefeld commentary track...

Will he talk about how much feet are featured in the movie?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Seriously tho if you actually believe that you may need to cleanse your palate with movies not based on superhero comics every once in a while, helps one keep perspective.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Seriously tho if you actually believe that you may need to cleanse your palate with movies not based on superhero comics every once in a while, helps one keep perspective.

No thank you.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Well there is a power ranger movie coming.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Willem Dafoe should play a sympathetic re-envisioning of Terra-Man.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Superman is torn about being worshipped as god.

If only there was some way to talk to the crowd, let the general public, and audience, know he is just a man trying to do what's right, like any other person on Earth. Sadly, humans are not evolved enough to pick up the subtle nuances of Kryptonian brooding, their primary means of communication outside of punching.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

glitchwraith posted:

If only there was some way to talk to the crowd, let the general public, and audience, know he is just a man trying to do what's right, like any other person on Earth. Sadly, humans are not evolved enough to pick up the subtle nuances of Kryptonian brooding, their primary means of communication outside of punching.

Humans should have made him a hero cake.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

If only there was a scene where he attempts to speak to the public, if only.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

glitchwraith posted:

If only there was some way to talk to the crowd

No hablo español

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Or maybe Eel O'Brian, the Plastic Man.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Has anyone ever complained about the Ant-Man vs Falcon thing?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Maybe not here, but I have seen people call it gratuitous.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

What thing?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

zoux posted:

What thing?

Some people really resent the fact that the MCU movies take place in a unified continuity, and see the Ant-Man vs. Falcon fight in Ant-Man as a detriment to the film solely for referencing a character from Winter Soldier.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

twistedmentat posted:

What's to complain about? It was funny and well-executed and made sense.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

If only there was a scene where he attempts to speak to the public, if only.

Honestly, It'd be a vast improvement if Superman spoke more in general in the movie, or at least with more agency. I know he must have had more lines in the movie beyond bemoaning how misunderstood he was, but all that sticks in my memory are people monologueing at or near him while he responds with variations on frowns and deific aloofness. The movie isn't subtle about his motivations, and being familiar with the character I know what Goyer and Snyder where going for, but if this where a brand new character I'd be spending the whole movie asking why I should care about this pouty, spandex god.

No hablo español

Superman, like God and Lex's abusive father, only speaks American.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

gently caress it, go full bore with that "Leto Joker is a broken Robin" and have Dafoe play the original Joker.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

jivjov posted:

Some people really resent the fact that the MCU movies take place in a unified continuity, and see the Ant-Man vs. Falcon fight in Ant-Man as a detriment to the film solely for referencing a character from Winter Soldier.

Oh well thats stupid as gently caress

Reminds me of superhero movie haters being like "ugh all these movies are are set up for other movies and nothing else" over one line or end of credtis scenes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

jivjov posted:

This sounds like a really dumb complaint for something based off of comic books.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think the Falcon vs Ant Man scene is a kind of crappy bit where you can really feel the studio meddling that was so much in the foreground of the production, BUT it does set up the awesome final scene and the rest of the movie is pretty good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well falcon is the lamest new avenger so I can totally see him getting stuck with guard duty while the others go do something that matters.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I thought the fight between them was really cool

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think the Falcon vs Ant Man scene is a kind of crappy bit where you can really feel the studio meddling that was so much in the foreground of the production, BUT it does set up the awesome final scene and the rest of the movie is pretty good.

Funnily enough the Studio didn't meddle with that scene at all.

Peyton Reed posted:

“Bringing Falcon into the movie really was when Paul Rudd and Adam McKay were starting the rewrites and we were talking about elements that we wanted to add. We were doing a heist movie and one of the tropes is that trial by fire where everything is organized with the heist but, oh, there’s this one piece of technology we don’t have and we have to send our hero into this situation to get it and he might not be fully prepared. It made sense to pit Scott Lang against something or somebody before he was really ready. We talked a lot about who it could be and Falcon just felt like the right thing.
We all loved Anthony Mackie in (the Captain America sequel) Winter Soldier, and we all loved the idea of Mackie and Rudd squaring off. What would the combination of their two powers be like? It started to feel organic to our movie. Marvel never ever came and said, “You’ve gotta work Thor into the movie!” There was none of that stuff. We came to them saying, “This feels like it could be very very cool.” And as a kid who grew up reading those comic books, that’s the stuff I love. Also, Anthony Mackie is very funny in our movie, and I like the idea that Scott Lang is tasked with getting this piece of equipment, he’s got to come up against the Falcon but he’s also a fanboy so he’s kind of apologizing when he’s fighting him.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

In that case, maybe someone should've meddled with it, because it doesn't feel very well-integrated into the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

In that case, maybe someone should've meddled with it, because it doesn't feel very well-integrated into the film.

Whichever one maintains your narrative.

• Locked thread