Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Pontiff was ripping my rear end until I tried to parry him. It knocks him into a stun and I could basically do a forward backstab that threw him on his rear end. Ended up doing this twice plus a few slashes and he was dead. Get rekt bastard.

I'm completely confused as to which order to do the next levels. Do I go through the dungeon or do I go up the stairs past the Pontiff's place? I have only killed one Lord so far. For some reason I though Aldrich was the end boss?? I haven't even done the dancer yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

argondamn posted:

Where do you get the Smelter Sword? I don't even see it on the wiki. Are you talking about the Fume UGS?

Yes. I don't know why I keep calling it the smelter sword.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hackan Slash posted:

I went all the way up to where the soul is and came back down, but he didn't show up. Is there something else I need to do?

He should have locked the door on the bridge behind you as you came back down.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Blind Rasputin posted:

Pontiff was ripping my rear end until I tried to parry him. It knocks him into a stun and I could basically do a forward backstab that threw him on his rear end. Ended up doing this twice plus a few slashes and he was dead. Get rekt bastard.

I'm completely confused as to which order to do the next levels. Do I go through the dungeon or do I go up the stairs past the Pontiff's place? I have only killed one Lord so far. For some reason I though Aldrich was the end boss?? I haven't even done the dancer yet.

Either. You'll need to do both. Aldrich isn't the end boss, and the dancer is after him. Also, the same parry/riposte thing works for most humanoid and reasonably sized enemies. You can't riposte some of the larger things, but if you get good at parrying you can pretty easily smash basically anything that looks kind of like a person, and a few things that don't.

And jesus christ game. As usual for bosses, when I kill the Dragonslayer Armour, I get a bonfire. I can literally see the next bonfire from here. It's at the other end of some stairs. No enemies, no barriers, nothing. Just two bonfires 20 feet apart.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I am a little pissed that the Onion knight's quest line can be broken just by walking through the wrong door. I tried so hard. No second round of beers for me!

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

OK asking this again, I'm trying to get the Xanthous crown to complete my Mushroom Pope outfit, but I've already killed Abyss Watchers and none of the slug men outside of Rosaria's room dropped it. Anyone else have this problem?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The slug man in the room drops it. The one right in front of her bed.

edit:

This guy.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 20, 2016

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

There ISN'T one right in front of her bed in my game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Huh, that's weird. A long-rear end time ago, did you get invaded by Yellowfinger Heysel in the Road of Sacrifices? According to the wiki, he drops it if you kill him and then the slug guy doesn't show up.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Huh, that's weird. A long-rear end time ago, did you get invaded by Yellowfinger Heysel in the Road of Sacrifices? According to the wiki, he drops it if you kill him and then the slug guy doesn't show up.

Nope, he never invaded me and by the time I realized where the helm drops I had already killed Abyss Watchers.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Dancer's Swords actually seem pretty good now, I've been messing around with them and they take a while to get used to cause there are some weird delays in places but weak->weak->dual attack comes out pretty fast.

The weapon art is questionable though cause it just doesn't deal much damage and it's not exactly what I'd call mobile. A shame, but oh well.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I missed the Heysel invasions and somehow had a slug that dropped his gear. So there is probably some other trigger.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

sandoz posted:

Nope, he never invaded me and by the time I realized where the helm drops I had already killed Abyss Watchers.

I think that slug only shows up later after another event involving Rosaria or whatever her name was. That's when it showed up for me, anyways.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Maybe you have to pick up the Xanthous Ashes or be in the middle of Leonhard/Rosaria's quest?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Trip report: gently caress the princes.

The worst part was, I guessed from the very first time I saw the cutscene that killing the big dude again would just lead to him being re-resurrected. But when, after 3 full hours of fighting, I managed to get him down again and realized I didn't have nearly enough stamina to kill the kid bro before he ressed, I still felt betrayed.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The slug showed up for me after Leonhard killed Rosaria

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Dear lord, the Grand Archives might be more annoying than the Duke's Archives.

Edit: It'll probably be more peaceful now that I've killed the sage with dung pies. That's the first time I've found a use for them in the series!

snoremac fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 20, 2016

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Also, for my first attempt at Pontiff Sulyvhan last night, I summoned two helpful jolly cooperators. Everything was going great, until the boss was at about 10% health in the second phase, at which point I somehow failed three dodges in a row and died. I am sorry that I let you down, ButtBlaster.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Trip report: gently caress the princes.

The worst part was, I guessed from the very first time I saw the cutscene that killing the big dude again would just lead to him being re-resurrected. But when, after 3 full hours of fighting, I managed to get him down again and realized I didn't have nearly enough stamina to kill the kid bro before he ressed, I still felt betrayed.

For whatever reason there's a bug with the second phase where the elder prince's hp doesn't scale to the number of phantoms. I did jolly coop there and sometimes we'd kill the elder prince 3-4 times before Lothric

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Grand Archives, I have several questions.

1. Why do the walls have arms?
2. Why do the floors have arms?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

argondamn posted:

For whatever reason there's a bug with the second phase where the elder prince's hp doesn't scale to the number of phantoms. I did jolly coop there and sometimes we'd kill the elder prince 3-4 times before Lothric

I ain't ever killed a single DS boss while co-oping, not even with NPCs (well, except for Siegward forcing himself into the Yhorm fight and such) and I ain't about to start now!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

MooCowlian posted:

Grand Archives, I have several questions.

1. Why do the walls have arms?
2. Why do the floors have arms?

Wrong. It's the books that have arms. As for why, I dunno. Seath fuckery?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
nothing rules in this as much as killing all these soft-skinned fuckin losers with 3 white phantom friends and a giant seed down

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

The slug showed up for me after Leonhard killed Rosaria

That's probably not the trigger since he showed up for me before that happened.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
at the same time nothing rules as much as summoning a white phantom to help murder the red guy who plays dodge bot with no weapons out and never tries to hit you

makes u think

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Luceid posted:

nothing rules in this as much as killing all these soft-skinned fuckin losers with 3 white phantom friends and a giant seed down

The host is always SO BAD, too. I'm certain the people that complain about invaders are also the same people who are so bad that even their troupe of 2 white phantoms and a blue can't save them. If they even tried to fight back a little instead of running and hiding, my job would be so much harder.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Sooooo orbecks punkass just left. Where else can I get sorcereies

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really hope the Darkmoon covenant keeps working for me tonight. Getting to Original Bluecop it up in Irithyll and AL last night was an absolute blast and I racked up like 12 Proofs of a Concord Kept, five of them from a single summoning. Helping Way of Blue people is amazingly fun and satisfying when it works.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

First stage is actually really easy, once you figure out these two simple tricks that the Lord of Cinder don't want you to know:

1)stand a tiny ways in front of the dragon's head. You can see everything it does and he telegraphs all his moves. Also you do waaaaay more damage hitting the head/neck than hitting the feet.

2)Don't lock on. I'm serious.

If I could figure out how far I am from him it would be easier. Unfortunately, the arena is designed to gently caress with my depth perception and following him while he moves without lock-on is a pain in the rear end. I just honestly don't think it's particularly well-designed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

First stage is actually really easy, once you figure out these two simple tricks that the Lord of Cinder don't want you to know:

1)stand a tiny ways in front of the dragon's head. You can see everything it does and he telegraphs all his moves. Also you do waaaaay more damage hitting the head/neck than hitting the feet.

2)Don't lock on. I'm serious.

Tip #2 is true of all dragon fights in this entire series.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So last night after like 6-8 hours of struggling with the Cleric I made a new character and was able to get as far with a Knight in one hour as I did with the Cleric. Granted, still not terribly far, but gameplay was easier.

maybe it was just me gitting.. mediocre? What's the step between horrendous and mediocre? Bad?

I'm (slowly) getting better with those damned Lothric Knights but they have robbed me of many a soul.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I have the PC version, but my controller won't work. Anyone know how to fix this problem?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

SirPhoebos posted:

I have the PC version, but my controller won't work. Anyone know how to fix this problem?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

What controller do you have? That's pretty necessary information here.

I'm using a Dualshock 4 and it doesn't work plug-and-play. I have to use DS4Windows to make Dark Souls 3 think it's an Xbox controller and then it works fine.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Lothric Knights are pretty tough overall so don't feel too badly.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Mazerunner posted:

Ok from waaaaay, way back, but I figured out what building you were talking about and what it is, I'm pretty sure. Anor Londo

Oh wow, ok, that gives perspective to how everything is positioned relative to each other. Part of the scenery seems missing when looking from anor londo/ ice town, combined with time of day being different all of a sudden I wonder if that zone takes place in a different era.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JetsGuy posted:

So last night after like 6-8 hours of struggling with the Cleric I made a new character and was able to get as far with a Knight in one hour as I did with the Cleric. Granted, still not terribly far, but gameplay was easier.

maybe it was just me gitting.. mediocre? What's the step between horrendous and mediocre? Bad?

I'm (slowly) getting better with those damned Lothric Knights but they have robbed me of many a soul.

Lothric Knights are really tough, easily the toughest "first-area knight" enemies in the series. They're fast, aggressive, and seem to know exactly when to pivot and shield-bash you.

My advice would be not to try to use your shield exclusively on them. Try to dodge to their side while they're swinging and then hit them in the back with your sword. (Backstabs are ideal.) If you're feeling really patient and really brave, you can try to learn how to parry them. If you've gotten past the dragon area in the High Wall, there's a bonfire with a Lothric Knight really close to it. You can spend all your souls (in case he kills you) and then use him as parry practice until you get the timing down and then never fear Lothric Knights again.

Just so you know where you stand, I've played and finished every game in the series multiple times and the Lothric Knights still owned the poo poo out of me when I started this. You're probably doing pretty well!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The host runs around like a headless and also dickless chicken from me and my Aldrichvader friend, runs out of estus, force-closes the game.
The next host has a summon, I get cornered and take the ladder down to safety. Host force-closes the game.
The following host sees me coming and force-closes the game immediately as I spawn in.
The fourth host has a good set of balls or ovaries or brains and stays the course.
The fifth host closes the game so that I'm kicked out the moment I take my first step after spawning in.

Rewarding disconnecting hosts with online-play demerits that quickly gently caress them out of summoning people needs to be a thing that happens.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
Lothric knights are no fuckin' joke, there is like negative shame in dying to them. If they serve any one purpose it's to remind you that most swords allow you to hold L2 and press R1 to make their shields go away for a moment so you can cream them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Wait til you see their red eye version