Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

wyoak posted:

You can transfer points between your card accounts online, it's really easy. I'd see if you can product change the CSP to one of the Freedom cards, depending on your spending habits. Once you're off of the CSP you can get the reward again 24 months after you last received the reward - not 24 months after changing the card. For example, I originally got the 50k points in Feburary 2014, held the card until I cancelled it in January of this year, and then got the signup bonus again in March.

If I already have the regular Freedom card, do you think they will let me downgrade to the new Chase Freedom Unlimited + being eligible to receive the 15k bonus?

And that's good to know of the 24 month rule, I was not aware of that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

If I already have the regular Freedom card, do you think they will let me downgrade to the new Chase Freedom Unlimited + being eligible to receive the 15k bonus?

And that's good to know of the 24 month rule, I was not aware of that!

Signup bonuses are pretty much never available for downgrades.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I'm just now getting in to the world of signup bonuses and credit card rewards. For a while I've been making 90% of purchases on credit and then paying it off in full each month so I'd like to capitalize on that.

I'm curious how it works out long term, though. I just got an Amex SPG which I will use for 3 months until I earn the bonus at which point I will get the Chase Sapphire Preferred. I typically spend about $1.5k - 2k per month which seems like it would get a minuscule amount of points compared to the sign up bonuses. Is there ever a point where it's worthwhile to continue using a card to accumulate points or does it sort of fizzle out after going through the initial bonuses? Is it really front-loaded with bonuses or do the benefits of churning continue indefinitely?

I imagine that this becomes an endless cycle of opening new accounts, but I have good credit so I suppose I could deal with opening/closing a handful of cards every year in order to get free vacations out of it.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 15, 2016

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
It's definitely frontloaded but there are lots of cards with decent signup bonuses (if you travel anyway), so if you're not super aggressive it'll take you a while to churn through the good ones. And maybe by then it's been two years and you can do some of them over again!

Make sure to do Chase cards first, they won't approve you if you've opened 5 new card accounts in the last 24 months.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Teeter posted:

I'm just now getting in to the world of signup bonuses and credit card rewards. For a while I've been making 90% of purchases on credit and then paying it off in full each month so I'd like to capitalize on that.

I'm curious how it works out long term, though. I just got an Amex SPG which I will use for 3 months until I earn the bonus at which point I will get the Chase Sapphire Preferred. I typically spend about $1.5k - 2k per month which seems like it would get a minuscule amount of points compared to the sign up bonuses. Is there ever a point where it's worthwhile to continue using a card to accumulate points or does it sort of fizzle out after going through the initial bonuses? Is it really front-loaded with bonuses or do the benefits of churning continue indefinitely?

I imagine that this becomes an endless cycle of opening new accounts, but I have good credit so I suppose I could deal with opening/closing a handful of cards every year in order to get free vacations out of it.

The most important thing is to have a goal in mind. It sounds like you're part of the way there when you say free vacations, but go a little further if you can. Does that mean a few nights at luxury hotels, or more nights at more standard hotels? Economy airfare or premium cabins? Domestic or international? And what airport would you like to fly out of? You don't need to have an answer to all of these, but the more of them you can answer the better you'll be able to strategize.

As to your question about hopping between sign-up bonuses, that's what I do. I've been approved for 21 cards in the last 26 months and rarely have spent more on a card than is necessary to get the bonus. This will be changing later this year; I plan to buy a house in mid-2017, so I'm going to stop applying for new cards by the end of July 2016. At that point I'll have to optimize my spending based on category bonuses for all my cards. Until then, though, it's bonus chasing.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
People here with both a Chase personal and business account - did you guys merge accounts or keep it separate? I'm thinking of just keeping it separate for now.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 17, 2016

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Busy Bee posted:

People here with both a Chase personal and business account - did you guys merge accounts or keep it separate? I'm thinking of just keeping it separate for now.

I merged but then I canceled my business card and my login started getting deactivated a couple times a month until I got a rep that understood what was going on and created a new login for me.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I do a lot of commuting and want to squeeze the most cash back I can out of my gas purchases. My Discover card is one of those ones with the revolving cash back categories so I only get 5% back on gas for three months out of the year, it's 0.25% otherwise. What should I be looking at for a credit card? I don't have a balance to transfer and I'm not interested in churning.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

What is the best card for dining/restaurants now that the citi forward game is finally up.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I do a lot of commuting and want to squeeze the most cash back I can out of my gas purchases. My Discover card is one of those ones with the revolving cash back categories so I only get 5% back on gas for three months out of the year, it's 0.25% otherwise. What should I be looking at for a credit card? I don't have a balance to transfer and I'm not interested in churning.
Citi Doublecash gets a lot of talk as a no-gimmick 2% cashback on everything card. No signup bonus, but also no annual fee.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Probably the PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa, provided you don't mind redeeming your points for gift cards. It's 5% year-round. If you're not currently eligible to join, you can make a donation. I think it's like $15 donation and then you're a member, and the card is no annual fee.

If you don't want to hassle with redeeming for gift cards, you might pick up a Chase Freedom. It's another 5% rotating categories card, and you run the risk of gas overlapping with your Discover, but generally that doesn't seem to happen. $0 annual fee so the only thing you have to lose in a hard pull.

If you don't want to hassle with another rotating category card, probably the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred is your best bet, but you'd need to spend a lot on gas for this to make sense over the Citi DoubleCash that ilkhan rightly recommended. The annual fee is $75, so after $7,500 in annual fuel spending, you're coming out ahead of the DoubleCash (straight 2%, no annual fee). However, this card also earns 6% back on groceries (up to $1.5k/quarter or $6k/year), so this card tends to come pretty highly recommended. Even if you eat out all the time, you can buy gift cards to restaurants/Amazon at the grocery store and get the cash back on them.

app posted:

What is the best card for dining/restaurants now that the citi forward game is finally up.

Probably the Chase Sapphire Preferred, though I could also make the argument for the AmEx Premier Rewards Gold, simply because I find AmEx much more pleasant to deal with and the PRG earns bonus points in more categories. The AmEx has a higher annual fee but also comes with a $100/year airline credit, which pretty much everyone uses to buy Amazon gift cards through the United MPX app. Both of these cards earn double points on dining out, and if you're using points for anything other than statement credits, they're worth more than 1¢ each. You can also combo the Discover It & Chase Freedom and hope the categories don't overlap (again, they usually don't), or the Citi DoubleCash just earns a straight 2% back on everything, all the time.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Do you drive near a Costco location with gas?

The new Costco Visa will come with a permanent 4% cash back on gas, including at Costco stations, which usually don't qualify as gas stations for rewards. Annual fee will be a Costco membership ($55). If you're paying for your own gas, it's likely the best option, because Costco tends to be quite a bit cheaper than other gas stations. If you're working with an expense account, an evergreen 4% is still a pretty sweet deal.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Looking around at Amex cards, it looks like the Blue Cash Preferred is the go to card if you're looking mainly for cash back? I can deal with the $75/yr fee since it has better returns for gas/groceries than the card I've been using, plus the cell bill promotion and $150 back for 1k spend in the first 3 months is an easy target.

one more general question: how late do you typically have to be on a CC payment before it shows up against you? I'd been paying my Citi Doublecash manually since I'd gotten it but blanked out last month thinking I was enrolled in autopay. As soon as I got an email I paid it off which was 2 days or so late but it's been a couple weeks and nothing seems to have showed up.

baram. fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 18, 2016

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Barclaycard SallieMae gets 5% back on gas year round:

http://credit-cards.credio.com/l/310/Barclaycard-Sallie-Mae

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'll second the Amex Blue Cash Preferred as good for gas.

The annual fee on that one is minimized for me from all the Amex offers for things I already spend money on. $10 off $50 at Wegmans on top of 6% grocery cashback? Yes, please. 10% back on phone bills up to $40 total? Yes, please.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Just got the terms and conditions on the upcoming Costco Visa, and its non-qualifying conditions for gas are perplexing (emphasis mine):

quote:

You week only earn 1% cash back, not 4%, for gas purchased at superstores, supermarkets, convenience stores and warehouse clubs other than Costco our for fuel use for non-automobile purposes.
I get the supermarket and superstore exclusions, but convenience store? Every place around me except Costco is one of those exceptions; almost every gas station is also a convenience store. I don't think there exists a so-called standalone gas station in Texas, in that case.

Am I interpreting that line correctly?

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

That might be something like a 7-11 gas station. A store that happens to have a gas station attached. Not a place like chevron, for example, which is a gas station with a store attached. But I'm just guessing.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

khysanth posted:

The Barclaycard SallieMae gets 5% back on gas year round:

http://credit-cards.credio.com/l/310/Barclaycard-Sallie-Mae
Sallie Mae is dead.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

SpelledBackwards posted:

Just got the terms and conditions on the upcoming Costco Visa, and its non-qualifying conditions for gas are perplexing (emphasis mine):

I get the supermarket and superstore exclusions, but convenience store? Every place around me except Costco is one of those exceptions; almost every gas station is also a convenience store. I don't think there exists a so-called standalone gas station in Texas, in that case.

Most likely due to the idiot MSers.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

baram. posted:

one more general question: how late do you typically have to be on a CC payment before it shows up against you? I'd been paying my Citi Doublecash manually since I'd gotten it but blanked out last month thinking I was enrolled in autopay. As soon as I got an email I paid it off which was 2 days or so late but it's been a couple weeks and nothing seems to have showed up.

Depends on what you mean by "shows up against you". If you mean "absolutely thrashes your FICO scores" then "30 days", though how each issuer counts these days is different (AmEx, for example, used to start counting on the statement date, so you could be a week past the due date and get the knock on your credit; they may have changed this after some backlash). If, instead, you mean "puts a mark on your file and makes you less likely for credit limit increases" then probably the instant your due date/time passes, though again this certainly varies with issuer.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

SpelledBackwards posted:

It's should be down to how Visa codes the merchant - you can use Visa's site to check: https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/search/index.jsp

Most gas stations with a shop attached will code correctly as a gas station

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

in the time between looking at Amex cards yesterday afternoon and applying just now the bonus for spend $1k/3mo jumped from $150 to $250. :toot:

I didn't get accepted automatically though so I have to wait up to 14 days to hear back. :(

Baddog
May 12, 2001

baram. posted:

I didn't get accepted automatically though so I have to wait up to 14 days to hear back. :(

Call the recon line and see whats up. I feel like a good percentage of the time if you wait, it goes against you. It might just be an identity verification thing or something.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Baddog posted:

Call the recon line and see whats up. I feel like a good percentage of the time if you wait, it goes against you. It might just be an identity verification thing or something.

I mentioned this earlier in this thread: Amex had/has some "glitches" with their online app system a week ago or so and there may still be a queue for their system to go through. My app for blue cash preferred is still in limbo and I'm already an Amex customer with good credit history. Last I spoke to a CSR on Friday I was told to wait 24-48 hours. I'm going to call again tonight and see what's going on.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

BeOSPOS posted:

I mentioned this earlier in this thread: Amex had/has some "glitches" with their online app system a week ago or so and there may still be a queue for their system to go through. My app for blue cash preferred is still in limbo and I'm already an Amex customer with good credit history. Last I spoke to a CSR on Friday I was told to wait 24-48 hours. I'm going to call again tonight and see what's going on.

ah poo poo I remember seeing this when skimming through the thread to catch up. I'll give them a call thanks.

e: I just checked their online application status and that tells me I've been approved. yay!

strange that I never got an email or anything about my application.

baram. fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 19, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

What actually qualifies as "travel" for the CSP card? Hotels? air/bus/train/uber tickets? What else?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Parking lots/garages and meters do

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Bisty Q. posted:

Sallie Mae is dead.

Huh. I can't remember if I received any sort of notice in the mail about this. What happens to my card? Pretty sure I'm still getting the 5% back on groceries and fuel...

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

khysanth posted:

Huh. I can't remember if I received any sort of notice in the mail about this. What happens to my card? Pretty sure I'm still getting the 5% back on groceries and fuel...

I'm in the same boat. From what I've gathered, it is just closed to new applicants. At some point they may cut our rewards but I imagine there will be some sort of notice ahead of time. Until then just keep milking it because this card kicks rear end.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

ilkhan posted:

What actually qualifies as "travel" for the CSP card? Hotels? air/bus/train/uber tickets? What else?

All that and more. Camping, parks fees, etc. It's pretty exhaustive.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
If I want to transfer Chase Freedom points to a Chase Ink business card, but they are on different Chase accounts (Personal & Business) - is it as easy as going to Chase Freedom UR, "Add household member" and add my Chase Ink card and then transferring the points over?

I don't want to combine my personal and business Chase account so I'm hoping this would be the easiest option to be able to transfer my Freedom points.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 20, 2016

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

ilkhan posted:

Anything you'd think is associated with travel and then a bunch more.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Barry posted:

Anything you'd think is associated with travel and then a bunch more.

khysanth posted:

All that and more. Camping, parks fees, etc. It's pretty exhaustive.

wyoak posted:

Parking lots/garages and meters do
Cool. Thanks to all of you. I just got the card, need to hit the $4k mark, and as much as possible would like to avoid 1% categories. Fortunately I have a bunch of trips coming up that need hotels and crap.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
If you're really curious they do publish a list somewhere.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

wyoak posted:

It's should be down to how Visa codes the merchant - you can use Visa's site to check: https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/search/index.jsp

Most gas stations with a shop attached will code correctly as a gas station

Perfect, thank you. All my usual fuel haunts code as gas stations.

Looks like this Visa will take the place of both my Costco Amex AND my Amazon Rewards card in my physical wallet as well since it's better than the Amazon card for all its reward categories except for groceries and Amazon.com itself.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

khysanth posted:

It's not DEAD dead....

Barclays SM just not accepting any new applications, and the card is basically in limbo. I have heard that they will be adjusting the % back, but as of yet its just in a holding position. So if you have one, you can still use it, but who knows for how long.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
What experience do people have with transferring credit limits from one card by the same issuer to another?

I just called Citi and asked if my Double Cash credit limit could be raised. After checking, she said she'd have to do a credit pull. I asked about moving off one of my other 6 cards and she said that would require a pull, too.

Tangental question, when I close one of my cards, will Citi be open to taking that credit limit and applying it to a card I'm keeping open?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

dexter6 posted:

What experience do people have with transferring credit limits from one card by the same issuer to another?

I just called Citi and asked if my Double Cash credit limit could be raised. After checking, she said she'd have to do a credit pull. I asked about moving off one of my other 6 cards and she said that would require a pull, too.

Tangental question, when I close one of my cards, will Citi be open to taking that credit limit and applying it to a card I'm keeping open?

With Chase its pretty straight forward and I didn't even have to call - Just did it all over the secure message system. "Hey I don't use CC A, can you transfer some of the 20k limit to CC B which I use more often."

And your last question, I don't think so. Once your card is closed it's closed.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

And your last question, I don't think so. Once your card is closed it's closed.
Sorry, I mean to do either at the point of closing (but not after) or maybe days before closing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

dexter6 posted:

Like a lot of things with credit card rules it varies depending on the card issuer and even then it's not always consistent. Doctor of credit has a post with the rules for most major card issuers. http://www.doctorofcredit.com/rules-for-reallocating-your-credit-limit-with-each-credit-card-issuer/

For Citi it looks like they can do it if you're lucky enough to reach someone who knows how, but it usually requires a credit pull.

Credit card issuers do keep track of your total credit limit across multiple cards from them to make sure they're not offering you too much credit, so closing one card can allow you to increase your limit on another if they're both from the same bank, but it's not a guarantee. Again for Citi specifically you should be able to request a CLI every 6 months without them pulling your credit. Doctor of Credit has a post for how to see if they need to pull your credit when applying for a credit line increase online. http://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-now-more-transparent-when-requesting-a-credit-limit-increase/