Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I am constantly amazed at how Roosh manages to dress himself in the morning.

Doesn't he still live in his parents' basement?

That could have something to do with it.

Does his mother know what kinds of things he says about women?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Zemyla posted:

I found I'd been given a link to a LessWrong sequence, Evaporative Cooling of Group Beliefs. It has a lot of tortured metaphors, but it also has this:

Basically, it's a good explanation for why we can't get rid of Cingulate.

Less Wrong: You know what "truthiness" is? Well this is "scienciness"

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Dylan Matthews from Vox has a nice piece starting at Moldbug and neoreaction, and tying in the alt-right, 4chan, Milo, Gamergate and Trump. He writes it in an understated and factual manner, and even got some Yarvin quotes.

The interesting thing: remember that Matthews is himself active in Effective Altruism, though firmly for mosquito nets and against Pascalian arguments from MIRI. He'll have encountered these people before.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I forsee a slate star codex post to the effect that his movement will have people arguing for AI research over cheap life-saving medical interventions or it will be bullshit.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Moldbug via Vox posted:

Moldbug has rejected white nationalism by name (his father is Jewish, for one thing) but only in the course of praising many aspects of it: "Although I am not a white nationalist, I am not exactly allergic to the stuff … I believe white nationalism is a very ineffective political device for solving the very real problems about which it complains."

ON PAPER

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The best thing is that the basic admission that white nationalism might have value, even theoretically, is a giant red flag for "has hosed-up views on race", and they think that it isn't. If that makes any sense? Like, they think they can be ambivalent about it, like people who say they like communism on paper but acknowledge it doesn't work, but saying you think white nationalism might be ok basically means you think there's such a thing as a "white nation", which is inherently a racist myth you're buying into.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DStecks posted:

The best thing is that the basic admission that white nationalism might have value, even theoretically, is a giant red flag for "has hosed-up views on race", and they think that it isn't. If that makes any sense? Like, they think they can be ambivalent about it, like people who say they like communism on paper but acknowledge it doesn't work, but saying you think white nationalism might be ok basically means you think there's such a thing as a "white nation", which is inherently a racist myth you're buying into.

Oh no, that makes perfect sense.

Either they are that dumb, or they think the goddamn prog liberals are that dumb, and it's never clear which.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Maybe he thinks that if he refuses to identify as a white nationalist, we'll all do him the courtesy of pretending he isn't one.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

No see now he can quote it as "Moldbug has rejected white nationalism... his father is Jewish, for one thing" which proves he's not a white nationalist!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I don't just mean it in the common-sense way that somebody who is not a white nationalist will treat it like it's radioactive, I mean it in the sense that if you think it even possibly could have value you've accepted its basic premise, which is the existence of a white nation, which is an inherently racist idea. Like, I'm white, but I don't belong to a white nation. If I belong to a nation, it's Canadian. Or possibly German. Or hell, maybe even Mennonite. But the idea of a white nation can only exist in contrast to who is not white, and that has no non-racist basis.

DStecks has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Apr 19, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DStecks posted:

I don't just mean it in the common-sense way that somebody who is not a white nationalist will treat it like it's radioactive, I mean it in the sense that if you think it even possibly could have value you've accepted its basic premise, which is the existence of a white nation, which is an inherently racist idea. Like, I'm white, but I don't belong to a white nation. If I belong to a nation, it's Canadian. Or possibly German. Or hell, maybe even Mennonite. But the idea of a white nation can only exist in contrast to who is not white, and that has no non-racist basis.

My favorite thing was when Thread Favorite Wesley Smorgasbord/whatever combination of letters he is calling himself on tumblr this week/Nydwracu refuted the baseless, vile accusation that he was a racist just for going to neo-nazi conferences by saying that he wasn't a white supremacist, because he thought white southerners and white northerners were different races.

LITERALLY too racist to be a white supremacist.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

My favorite thing was when Thread Favorite Wesley Smorgasbord/whatever combination of letters he is calling himself on tumblr this week/Nydwracu refuted the baseless, vile accusation that he was a racist just for going to neo-nazi conferences by saying that he wasn't a white supremacist, because he thought white southerners and white northerners were different races.

LITERALLY too racist to be a white supremacist.

So in his mind, which whites are the ubermenschen and which go to the whites-only section of the Zyklon B showers then?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
New hbomberguy video. :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozf2hwEOWHE

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

No see now he can quote it as "Moldbug has rejected white nationalism... his father is Jewish, for one thing" which proves he's not a white nationalist!

This is the equivalent of saying "I can't be racist. Look at all my black friends!".

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
How do I make my smug comments comparing a harassed woman to an animal sound not terrible? OF COURSE, FRENCH

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
^^^^^ "Marxism-Nixonism", "Fahrenheit 1488" - parody or serious?

I mean I've come to expect utter inanity pushed as serious truth from the alt right so I'm ready to believe

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Why are you even asking at this point?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BobHoward posted:

^^^^^ "Marxism-Nixonism", "Fahrenheit 1488" - parody or serious?

I mean I've come to expect utter inanity pushed as serious truth from the alt right so I'm ready to believe

The Fahrenheit 1488 bit is divabot (from this thread) sharing my joke from the previous page (Status:451 is reference to the error code (error: resource legally censored) which references fahrenheit 451). The Marxism-Nixonism thing is definitely from the weirdo.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
yeah, that was me. I want "Fahrenheit:1488" to achieve the memetic stickiness it deserves.

Phil Sandifer has another Neoreaction A Basilisk excerpt up. I suggested the image, John Martin's Pandemonium.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
So uhhhhhhhh

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

divabot posted:

yeah, that was me. I want "Fahrenheit:1488" to achieve the memetic stickiness it deserves.

Phil Sandifer has another Neoreaction A Basilisk excerpt up. I suggested the image, John Martin's Pandemonium.

I'm rather looking forward to the release of that book. Hope it makes it to publishing.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

This is the first thing by Moldbug I've ever actually read.

Initial reaction: 'politics' and 'democracy' are not synonyms because you while you can't have democracy (good) without politics (bad), you can have politics (bad) without democracy (good). For example, in a monarchy.

Does his stuff normally just fall over right at the first hurdle like that?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Peel posted:

Initial reaction: 'politics' and 'democracy' are not synonyms because you while you can't have democracy (good) without politics (bad), you can have politics (bad) without democracy (good). For example, in a monarchy.

Yep. I actually read a bunch of the intro to UR stuff because it was such a trainwreck. Stuff like (paraphrasing obviously) "the US Constitution is a fraud, because the constitution of the US (as in terms of constitutional law) is not the same as the US Constitution."

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Curtis Yarvin is a constructionist that would seem absurdly conservative to even Scalia himself.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

If evolution is so true

*the crowd goes quiet as a church mouse*

Then why are there still monkeys?

*walks out of the room to a thunderous applause, my opponent immediately dies from shame, I shake my coat and drop a hundred mics onto the ground as I walk out to a brilliant future*

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

This thread is the first time I've seen his stuff, and I feel like I need an introduction. Is he a goon? Is he someone I should know from elsewhere? I feel like I should know already, but I can't figure it out. (Love it, too, btw.)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Peel posted:

His mistake there was making the article short. Normally his writing is so overlong, meandering and tedious that anyone who isn't a massive neoreaction fan will have given up and stopped reading before he gets to the blatantly false claim that is the basis for the whole article.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
So are we just skipping past the part where Moldbug is closing his blog?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

pookel posted:

This thread is the first time I've seen his stuff, and I feel like I need an introduction. Is he a goon? Is he someone I should know from elsewhere? I feel like I should know already, but I can't figure it out. (Love it, too, btw.)

He is a goon, yes, under the same name, and he's been making videos making fun of internet assholes since the Sarkeesian Effect drama.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Patrick Spens posted:

So are we just skipping past the part where Moldbug is closing his blog?

Is that what he was saying? I parsed it as "here's me whining about people not liking my ideas but they're still right waaah fuk u" and didn't pick up anything about closing his blog (though it could have been in there, I admit I don't actually enjoy paying attention to him)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like I guess the first line where he says it's "done" or whatever means he's closing it? The rest of it is just him doing that black-white-wolves gently caress you you loving idiot thing for the millionth time.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Like I guess the first line where he says it's "done" or whatever means he's closing it? The rest of it is just him doing that black-white-wolves gently caress you you loving idiot thing for the millionth time.
Yeah, I didn't even notice that bit about being done. I got stuck on "politics and democracy aren't synonyms because they don't mean the same thing you loving idiot."

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

He is a goon, yes, under the same name, and he's been making videos making fun of internet assholes since the Sarkeesian Effect drama.

Thank you, thread, for introducing me to this beautiful channel.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Peel posted:

Yes. Moldbug always falls flat on his face when he makes a short post, because his foolishness is obvious; in the early days commenters would regularly fling ordure at his misunderstandings, ignorance of basics and libertarian logical leaps. This led to him evolving his better-known style, in which he would first take a thousand words to redefine half the words in the English language so that striking statements like "American is a COMMUNIST country" would not appear to be laughable idiocy. His fans took up the style, but are even worse writers.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Is that what he was saying? I parsed it as "here's me whining about people not liking my ideas but they're still right waaah fuk u"

It's definitely also that. But the title of the post is *Coda* and the first line is "It's long past time to make this official: UR has completed its mission." Which is about a close to a straight answer as you are going to get out of Moldbug.

pookel posted:

Yeah, I didn't even notice that bit about being done. I got stuck on "politics and democracy aren't synonyms because they don't mean the same thing you loving idiot."

He's correct that fetishizing "democracy" and sneering at "politics" is dumb and contradictory. But A) how many people actually do those two things simultaneously? And B) rather than bowing to our new silicon valley overlords we could always whine about politics less.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I feel like that's less closing his blog so much as finishing it and explaining why he stopped posting.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

He's saying that to sneer at politics is to be on the edgiest verge of enlightenment.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

pookel posted:

McGlockenshire posted:

Thank you, thread, for introducing me to this beautiful channel.

He posts a bit in the other NRx thread (in Debate & Discussion).

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
That final UR post was actually pretty emblematic of the whole UR ethos. It was all a game of word association, Moldbug wanted his readers to develop the same Pavlovian responses he has to the things he hates. He just slaughtered half the dictionary to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

So what is "America is a communist country" actually supposed to mean when you run it through your moldbug decoder ring? It obviously can't mean what it says in normal English.