Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Deified Data posted:

Pardon the derail but I don't know where else to ask. I know what Homestuck is but why is it so universally reviled on this forum? The fanbase?

The fans are a big part of it. They tend to be rabid Tumblr SJWs. Blobone and Rincewind were notorious for that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

edit:
https://twitter.com/jereichwrites/status/717944735047032832

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Pardon the derail but I don't know where else to ask. I know what Homestuck is but why is it so universally reviled on this forum? The fanbase?

It was really popular at one point.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

The fans are a big part of it. They tend to be rabid Tumblr SJWs. Blobone and Rincewind were notorious for that poo poo.

So it's to Tumblerites as MLP is to reddit MRAs and fascists?

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LOmFBBq4T0

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm pretty sure the physical manifestation of google would have nothing but contempt for humanity.

Wrong company.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Deified Data posted:

So it's to Tumblerites as MLP is to reddit MRAs and fascists?

Ehhhhh, it's not that simple. It'd be like comparing a racist pedophilic apple to an obnoxious and convoluted orange.

So someone I follow for Gravity Falls fanart posted this

I wondered what the gently caress this was about and oh boy did that lead to a treasure trove.

From what I can gather this guy's kink is for henchwoman getting beaten up but he has zero art skills so either begs or pays other people to make this stuff. Most of it is better suited for the deviantart (sans fanart) thread though.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Deified Data posted:

There are two kinds of Homestuck fans: those who skipped the troll chapter, and those who loved it, and they hate each other. No middle ground

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Good

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Banner Saga is a terrible game that is also really goddamn pretty. I wonder if they'll make the sequel playable.

The pokemon manga that was posted a couple of pages ago reminds me: what ever happened to that Junji Ito pokemon manga that we were supposed to get?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

hackbunny posted:

There are two kinds of Homestuck fans: those who skipped the troll chapter, and those who loved it, and they hate each other. No middle ground

There are also people who tolerated it and then jumped ship when the alternate universe that doubled the amount of characters happened.

I just wanted to get back to the stories about kids and fun :(

Welp time for some on-brand posting

I hate these:

I love this:

Not Fanart, still weird:

A Thing that I commissioned:

Jolyne Cujoh has a new favorite as of 13:55 on Apr 20, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc8KdyU8N8Q

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Banner Saga is a terrible game that is also really goddamn pretty. I wonder if they'll make the sequel playable.

The pokemon manga that was posted a couple of pages ago reminds me: what ever happened to that Junji Ito pokemon manga that we were supposed to get?

The Pokemon manga was just those pinups

I know this is t the forum for it but what's wrong with Banner Saga? I have not played it yet but I hear mostly universal praise for it

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

That's actually a good point that I never considered

Maybe that's why the in-fighting started

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Deified Data posted:

Goons have bad taste

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I gave up on it when it stopped being a comic and turned into tedious irc logs. That was a long time ago though.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Deified Data posted:

It's one of the largest experiments in media creation, that desperately needed an editor. It's something that should have been internet folk-art that somehow turned into its own cottage industry. It's a story that should have been "four funny kids bash their heads against obtuse game mechanics" and somehow turned into "readers bash their heads cross referencing the wiki while reading an obtuse convoluted mess of a plotline". It's proof that if you make a story sufficiently convoluted enough, people will mistake it as " smart and good" rather than "sloppy and poor".

In short, it's a disappointing follow up to Problem Sleuth. Which succeeded where Homestuck failed.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

umalt posted:

It's one of the largest experiments in media creation, that desperately needed an editor. It's something that should have been internet folk-art that somehow turned into its own cottage industry. It's a story that should have been "four funny kids bash their heads against obtuse game mechanics" and somehow turned into "readers bash their heads cross referencing the wiki while reading an obtuse convoluted mess of a plotline". It's proof that if you make a story sufficiently convoluted enough, people will mistake it as " smart and good" rather than "sloppy and poor".

In short, it's a disappointing follow up to Problem Sleuth. Which succeeded where Homestuck failed.

Says the poster with the Prequel avatar.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There's no need to fight. Both Prequel and Homestuck are awful.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ramos posted:

It was really popular at one point.

Yeah, this is basically it. Homestuck was bad, but not bad enough to warrant the level of goons tripping all over themselves to tell you how cool they are for not liking it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Paladinus posted:

There's no need to fight. Both Prequel and Homestuck are awful.

Prequel is really awful

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly_jtrMr4WU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

What the gently caress is happening here.

I skip around and things make less sense

They're meeting and Elsa has pearls

A doctor is unspooling floss

Hulk and spider man are playing rock band

Spider man is playing memory

What

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

There are an alarmingly large number of these videos, across multiple channels.

They all seem to be between 10 and 30 minutes long.

I am incredibly confused.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Allegedly, those videos are aimed at very young children. That's why they have no dialogue, but also get millions of views each. They are also made by toys review channels that also review Halloween/birthday parties costumes, so it's their way to show some of the stuff they review in action.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Oh yeaaaah, I heard some limey brit talk about these videos.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

goatface posted:

I gave up on it when it stopped being a comic and turned into tedious irc logs. That was a long time ago though.

I remember in the first years people were complaining that it wasn't user driven enough like problem sleuth was. I mean there was this field on the website to toss your >commands into but he just ignored it or made fun of it and plowed right over us, the viewers, and told the story he wanted to tell! Give us back this thing, they cried, and I said gently caress you nerds I want to see where he goes with this.

And then I saw where he went with it.

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, this is basically it. Homestuck was bad, but not bad enough to warrant the level of goons tripping all over themselves to tell you how cool they are for not liking it.

If we don't get in there and state definitively that we don't condone it today someone will use that app to dig up our old avatars and completely own us. Boo to this thing. Dont' search my archives please.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNdO95XfJ8I

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Black Phantoms in Demons Souls are about three times as strong as a normal phantom. The Dragon God is hosed

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Remember Dio, what come's around is all around!

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Man, that is the dorkiest wedding party that I kinda want to go to.

I don't even like Jojo, and there's a 90% chance that it would be fulla dorks taking about stairs, along with a bunch of long suffering aunts who are just as dorky but don't even know what a 'Jotaro' is. But there's a 10% chance it's fulla chill dudes, and I'm willing to take that risk.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

e: I guess i accidentally emptyquoted this, but this is pretty loving funny and explains a lot

bawk has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Apr 20, 2016

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

soulsborne? soulsborne

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

You know I've never got to see much sweet Mensis fanart/memes after I beat Bloodbourne, can someone post some good stuff>

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Lots can be said about Homestuck being convoluted and paced like poo poo, likely Hussie realizing what a cash cow it had become and intentionally dragging it out. But I think the real problem was with the introduction of non-human, one-dimensional characters defined soley by a single personality quirk that was also reflected in their appearance and/or mannerisms. That's the same formula that got us the Sonic fanbase and bronies.

Here's Some sonic fanart.

I think Deen is an OC.

Concordat has a new favorite as of 02:55 on Jan 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Your wishes he grants, as he swears to adore you...
Gold, silver, jewels, he lays riches before you...

• Locked thread