Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Next somebody is going to tell me that a bunch of personal information about me is available just by Googling! The horror! :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

InternetJunky posted:

This has been my first comment about the practice, so I'm not making any hills here...

I just don't really understand the rage about this. It's all voluntary. It's spergy as gently caress and I wouldn't submit to it, but obviously others will and have.

I think I'm more hung up on the fact that this is a practice that certain individuals in GSF leadership condone or encourage. And it's voluntary inasmuch that people in some cases either provide it or don't get into X channel or get access to X thing, or in the case of that one idiot in the reddit thread, not get unblacklisted. In my mind it's a very liberal use of the word "volunteer." Coerce might be a better word.

To me, it is unethical and messed up to attempt to gain information about someone out of game over in game events or motivations. It's a pretty commonly held belief at meetups and gatherings that it's autistic to poo poo on someone for their alliance affiliations or grudges held in game. Most healthy individuals separate the two. It's a pretty toxic behavior to attempt to gain leverage over someone's IRL information for IG purposes.

db19182002
Apr 6, 2014

Rust Martialis posted:

Aka 'prove to me you're a real human being and not some fake gmail address created 5 minutes ago to slip a spy into CFC'. CD apps have to provide most of that info, for example - if you have a FB page that has nothing but two random pics posted yesterday, no, sorry PL spy, you're not getting into CD.

Some people don't feel comfortable with giving digi RL info. They don't get to be in CD, which is hardly much of a punishment. I had to give, I think:
- RL name
- RL primary email
- Facebook account (which exposes my love of prog rock via my 'friends' list, eek)
- Twitter handle (I have one but almost never use it).

And about 5 minutes later was told 'yeah you pass'.

I'm pretty sure you could get most of the above info in 5 minutes from Google anyhow, except I'm not the Scottish playwright of the same RL name.

And if anyone with accesses to that list ever loses their cool they can post it everywhere. Just imagine your name, and phone number up everywhere they can post it because of space game with your character name associated. Granted google can do a lot but serching your eve name doesn't and shouldn't show me your real name. If your ok with this though who am I tell tell you not to do it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Fureil posted:

If he truely is back it will be interesting to see how the political structure of Goons changes. Will Mittens stay in charge and he will try and change things from the background, will he replace Mittens, or will we see goon civil war as he starts another corp/alliance of goons loyal to him?

Why would you think this makes any political difference within Goonswarm? It's not a democracy.

Edit: Btw, you guys realise that Facebook isn't mandated by law, right? I don't have one and I was a director. I think I'd be a bit miffed if I were denied a space middle management post because I didn't have one.

Edit edit: and, yeah, requiring this sort of information for a spacejob is in fact a little creepy to me.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 20, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rust Martialis posted:

It answers the question 'are you a parachute spy account' pretty quickly, no?

And when knowledge about who you are is used against you later? What then?

I've yet to see anyone state that logs of Digi threatening to make people's RL lives hell are fabrications.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fureil posted:

If he truely is back it will be interesting to see how the political structure of Goons changes. Will Mittens stay in charge and he will try and change things from the background, will he replace Mittens, or will we see goon civil war as he starts another corp/alliance of goons loyal to him?

I'm under the impression DJ/Sreegs gave the character away?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mightygerm posted:

Please. We have been doing this kind of meta game poo poo since 2007.

Again, I was an illuminati member from when we welped Delve to about 4 years ago and I didn't have to do any of this poo poo. Nor did I have to attend meetings or file a space TPS report every week.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Rust Martialis posted:

I'll move my bump Machariel over since Boney rejected my reapp to miniluv after being purged a while back. Also we clearly need a compression array and a refinery.

Read the recruitment thread!

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

feedmegin posted:

Again, I was an illuminati member from when we welped Delve to about 4 years ago and I didn't have to do any of this poo poo. Nor did I have to attend meetings or file a space TPS report every week.

welcome to the sion days

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Not that I'm defending the practice, but according to that Reddit post the person didn't have to provide any of that information until it looked like he was a spy and then choose to provide it instead of leaving. To be honest, I would have just left but I'm curious as to what other Alliances require of a person they legitimately believe is a spy?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm okay with showing that I'm a real life person to be in a space guild if it means k get to fly with goons and if it means we don't get dunked on all the time thanks to spies

If you're so worried about having some nerd know what you look like, then you probably think you are cooler/more important than everyone else anyways

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

db19182002 posted:

And if anyone with accesses to that list ever loses their cool they can post it everywhere. Just imagine your name, and phone number up everywhere they can post it because of space game with your character name associated. Granted google can do a lot but serching your eve name doesn't and shouldn't show me your real name. If your ok with this though who am I tell tell you not to do it.

It's okay, since Marlona sky and reddit shitlords don't have access to that list it's pretty safe.

Also, lol at the MBC illiterate crew checkin in. Was there a ping sent out or something?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

I think I'm more hung up on the fact that this is a practice that certain individuals in GSF leadership condone or encourage. And it's voluntary inasmuch that people in some cases either provide it or don't get into X channel or get access to X thing, or in the case of that one idiot in the reddit thread, not get unblacklisted. In my mind it's a very liberal use of the word "volunteer." Coerce might be a better word.

To me, it is unethical and messed up to attempt to gain information about someone out of game over in game events or motivations. It's a pretty commonly held belief at meetups and gatherings that it's autistic to poo poo on someone for their alliance affiliations or grudges held in game. Most healthy individuals separate the two. It's a pretty toxic behavior to attempt to gain leverage over someone's IRL information for IG purposes.
I certainly wouldn't call it coercion.

Basically, this:

nessin posted:

Not that I'm defending the practice, but according to that Reddit post the person didn't have to provide any of that information until it looked like he was a spy and then choose to provide it instead of leaving. To be honest, I would have just left but I'm curious as to what other Alliances require of a person they legitimately believe is a spy?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Don't make fun of the :10bux: crew

Lowtax just had a baby, he needs the money

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

nessin posted:

Normally if you can justify via explanation what or why you did a thing that was suspicious, that's usually enough to alleviate any suspicions- vis-a-vis that reddit dude's titan stealing character.

Normally, outright blacklisting someone at the first sign of suspicion is a bit too Salem Witch Trials for me and tbh I'd probably just laugh and walk away. The implication that I would need to provide RL details/information is ridiculous and in no way correlates whatsoever to the would-be behaviors of my in-game persona/character.

For example.

If I were to send say, 60b to an alt without an API on PL.PL- I'm certain that my services would be revoked until the necessary person came to me and said "Xolve, you dumb shitler, who is soandso and why did you give them 60b?" to which I would say something to the effect of "oh- that's my new bank character since I extracted my other alt, and I don't keep $$$ on my main because I'm dumb and buy 2b cynos- Sorry spacefriend I'll put the APIs in now."

Which is quite a bit different than providing some stranger on the internet my physical address, phone number, and social media accounts.

CainFortea posted:

It's okay, since Marlona sky and reddit shitlords don't have access to that list it's pretty safe.

Also, lol at the MBC illiterate crew checkin in. Was there a ping sent out or something?

Shut up, retard.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

nessin posted:

Most counter-intel is pretty bad. What's queasy about the practice of gathering someone's personal information during a spy investigation is retention of that information, enabling later IRL threats.

Blawrf, what the heck happened when you were kicked out? Historical posts on the issue are so clogged with poo poo it's hard to tell what on earth happened. Was your employer contacted about the fact that you're furry? I read that you are involved in biological sciences, so I get how that can sit in a, uh, undesirable manner with an IRB.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Drythe posted:

Don't make fun of the :10bux: crew

Lowtax just had a baby, he needs the money

:10bux:crew are SA users not invoved with EvE?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Potato Salad posted:

:10bux:crew are SA users not invoved with EvE?

the exact opposite, people who paid 10bux to post about how much they own in this thread

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dude is desperate to prove he is not a spy, gives up a bunch of info that is not asked for in an attempt to prove his worth or something. If I was some kinda of anti-spy dude that would have sealed the deal for me thinking he's a spy.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Either way Lowtax needs the money I'm sure. Please buy :eonwe: more avatars also.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
http://i.imgur.com/HrZZ27X.webm

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I hopped on sisi yesterday to gently caress about with some stuff and took a look at a keepstar while I was at it. Am I the only one that things all the lights around it make it look waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too busy? The docking lanes I guess are okay, but all the little light pips travelling around it really detracted from the overall image IMO.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

ChickenWing posted:

I hopped on sisi yesterday to gently caress about with some stuff and took a look at a keepstar while I was at it. Am I the only one that things all the lights around it make it look waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too busy? The docking lanes I guess are okay, but all the little light pips travelling around it really detracted from the overall image IMO.

I just really, really want to blow one up.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 20, 2016

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

the exact opposite, people who paid 10bux to post about how much they own in this thread

P sure most of the gsf dudes in this thread are 10bux crew then.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
digi is still creepy as gently caress then

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

mpaarating posted:

Just because they are in GSF doesn't make them not dirty J4Gs

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Tusen Takk posted:

Why the heck would they do that to themselves lol

If you mean "why are they still light blue?" then it'll be because most of the supers and titans that they didn't lose gating unscouted out of Branch are going to be in and around Saranen (or has Saranen between them and safety), and evaccing those while hostile to the remnants of the CFC would be even harder than it already is.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Potato Salad posted:

Most counter-intel is pretty bad. What's queasy about the practice of gathering someone's personal information during a spy investigation is retention of that information, enabling later IRL threats.

I experienced this firsthand - back in 2012 (about a year after I "left" GSF) Mittani decided to post a whole bunch of personal info about me on GF.com as part of a "vote me for CSM reward," along with other creepy stuff like the okcupid profile of the guy who ran eve-uni.

I had never given out really any personal info to many goons, it was likely that I had registered with my personal fistname.lastname gmail address on gf.com and everything went from there.

Now at this point I hadn't really been playing eve for the better part of a year, so learning that some people who I had pissed off in game I no longer really played were being distinctly un-chill was pretty lame? I certainly thought a lot less of gf leadership after that happened.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nessin posted:

Nothing, they get booted once the evidence is good enough. There isn't like a trial phase where they get to put on a defense and we don't give them a chance to explain. Situation is a little different here because if he's in an allied alliance we can't directly boot him from that alliance - we can just ban him from our services and tell the alliance leader that we caught the guy and (if we can) any details (like, say, "this idiot put in an api showing hes in a hostile alliance and no spymasters say he's their spy").

The guy was basically trying to argue after the fact that he's not a spy. Whatever information he (or any other person booted) wants to provide at that point that might be convincing is on him, but nobody is asking for it: when we think we've got someone dead to rights they're just booted and services cut. Most of the time that someone says that the ban was wrong they're entirely unconvincing and just basically like "no, must be a mistake, trust me i'm not a spy" so even asking would be a waste of time. That's not to say that spy bans are never wrong (lol raynor) just that there isn't any "lets sit down and discuss with you why you're a spy" situation because it's not useful. What this guy is whining about is something he initiated himself. Our reaction was "lol this guy's a terrible spy, just boot him and be done with it" and the evidence was pretty solid - I mean, if you think "finding a person also has a character in a hostile alliance that you didn't tell anyone about" isn't virtually the textbook definition of a spy, idk what to tell you.

Xolve posted:

Normally if you can justify via explanation what or why you did a thing that was suspicious, that's usually enough to alleviate any suspicions- vis-a-vis that reddit dude's titan stealing character.

I don't know of any alliances that make a practice of telling people what got them booted as a spy. For obvious reasons, that information is generally played pretty tight to the vest. It means you lose accuracy because you're less likely to have your theories tested and disproven when they're flawed, but everyone seems to consider that a reasonable price to pay to avoid leaking how you got the information so that actual spies can't evade whatever you used to catch them.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 20, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

welcome to the sion days

That's pretty lame.

Also how has DreamLeague been? Missed it the past week or so.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

Aka 'prove to me you're a real human being and not some fake gmail address created 5 minutes ago to slip a spy into CFC'. CD apps have to provide most of that info, for example - if you have a FB page that has nothing but two random pics posted yesterday, no, sorry PL spy, you're not getting into CD.

Some people don't feel comfortable with giving digi RL info. They don't get to be in CD, which is hardly much of a punishment. I had to give, I think:
- RL name
- RL primary email
- Facebook account (which exposes my love of prog rock via my 'friends' list, eek)
- Twitter handle (I have one but almost never use it).

And about 5 minutes later was told 'yeah you pass'.

I'm pretty sure you could get most of the above info in 5 minutes from Google anyhow, except I'm not the Scottish playwright of the same RL name.

Look at this post causing an epidemic of the vapours.

For those panicking, Rust also attends goonmeets. Goonwaffe members already knew who he is in real life. And where he works. Because it's part of a normal conversation. There's another meetup coming up in a few weeks.

I'll have better babysitting arrangements this time.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

mpaarating posted:

welcome, gsf dude

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

evilweasel posted:

I don't know of any alliances that make a practice of telling people what got them booted as a spy. For obvious reasons, that information is generally played pretty tight to the vest. It means you lose accuracy because you're less likely to have your theories tested and disproven when they're flawed, but everyone seems to consider that a reasonable price to pay to avoid leaking how you got the information so that actual spies can't evade whatever you used to catch them.

If it was actually an alliance of any merit or threat, I could see your point- but, we're talking about Intrepid Crossing... who died because RZR over-fished them.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Unfunny Poster posted:

That's pretty lame.

Also how has DreamLeague been? Missed it the past week or so.

pretty good, slacks has almost become a real human being, and odpixel has mostly learned to stop being a screamy tobi emulator

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xolve posted:

If it was actually an alliance of any merit or threat, I could see your point- but, we're talking about Intrepid Crossing... who died because RZR over-fished them.

hey, the most pathetic alliances can occasionally be meat in a real threat, f.e. test alliance is currently part of the problem for the imperium!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I think /r/eve is quick to ignore the fact that personal information is needed or at least extremely helpful in settling spy investigations, especially when it is volunteered.

On the flip side, I think this thread is far too eager to skip over the use of the discovered or disclosed information in later muscle flexing / chestbeating / public shaming / blackmail.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pretty good, slacks has almost become a real human being, and odpixel has mostly learned to stop being a screamy tobi emulator

On to the Olympics!

I legitimately can't believe that's a thing they're doing.

Potato Salad posted:

I think /r/eve is quick to ignore the fact that personal information is needed or at least extremely helpful in settling spy investigations, especially when it is volunteered.

On the flip side, I think this thread is far too eager to skip over the use of the discovered or disclosed information in later muscle flexing / chestbeating / public shaming / blackmail.

You don't post someone's OKCupid profile to win a forum argument over a video game? :confused:

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

"Volunteered" seems like a bit of a stretch-

Do I provide said information to get myself unblacklisted so I can continue playing interenet spaceships with friends I've known for years, or do I refuse- and essentially get exiled from my friends?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xolve posted:

"Volunteered" seems like a bit of a stretch-

Do I provide said information to get myself unblacklisted so I can continue playing interenet spaceships with friends I've known for years, or do I refuse- and essentially get exiled from my friends?

The reality of playing eve, where spying is specifically encouraged by the game mechanics, the game maker, and everyone playing in nullsec, is that it is a potential outcome of the game that people may cease to trust you and cut you off and that trust is hard to build up and easy to lose in-game. You can't avoid that without advocating for the banning of spying. If that's what you want to do, that's a reasonable argument, but you've got to be honest about it. And again, he's not asked to volunteer the information: we decided we didn't trust him and cut him off, in-game.

Like, you want to play a game where you can be a completely anonymous person AND be trusted by the people you play with, you need to play a different game (or play a different part of EVE). Most alliances get around that by trusting only people they have strong out-of-game connections with. Doesn't mean that you get asked to dump your private information as a quid pro quo: it means that when you're picking "who are we going to add as a fulldir in the alliance holding corp" you're going to go with the people you know irl and trust irl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daruna
Jul 3, 2011
hello goonswarm

do I need to provide my IRL information to you to post here? :laugh:

• Locked thread