Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Man I managed to run through ithryil of the boreal valley castle into the dungeon and...there was a boss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I really like spears for some reason but apparently they're awful for PvE and PvP alike. Is this less true of any of them?

Don't know who told you that because spears are, as always, really good. You can stunlock a lot of enemies out of their reach, or at least just get hits on them out of their reach, they're fairly strong for how quick they are, and if you got a good shield you can 1hand and turtle which is helpful for some enemy types. Only real downside is a lack of variety in the moveset, so try and get one of the more interesting spears, like the Partizan with its useful sweeping attacks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Alan Smithee posted:

Man I managed to run through ithryil of the boreal valley castle into the dungeon and...there was a boss?

Two bosses. Go back and look around for paths you missed. :doh:

Specifically Go to the bonfire before the dungeon, turn around, walk back to the watery part and enter the sewer on your right

Although if you really didn't realize there was more to Irithyll then you seriously need to be more observant. Not only did you miss that path, but there were lots of areas earlier on which showed you other areas you haven't been to yet. You should have made a note "okay gotta find a way to get through that later". SMH.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Babe Magnet posted:

People really need to stop making GBS threads themselves when someone invades. I can guarantee you I won't be the hardest fight in the level you're in, and I'm not even counting the boss. But no, the second someone gets invaded it's Phantom Has Been Summoned, Phantom Has Been Summoned, blah blah Blue Spirit Concord blah blah and then it's four guys holding down the block button huddled around the bonfire until I black crystal out.
I typically keep Way of Blue equipped since you can switch out covenants at will and if I'm not specifically trying to do anything else at the moment having bluecops come in and smash a dude from behind is funny as hell to me, but I don't get summoning a bunch of white phantoms for an invader. That's just weird.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So should I do the cathedral or catacombs first?

Also how far through the game am I at this point?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Babe Magnet posted:

People really need to stop making GBS threads themselves when someone invades. I can guarantee you I won't be the hardest fight in the level you're in, and I'm not even counting the boss. But no, the second someone gets invaded it's Phantom Has Been Summoned, Phantom Has Been Summoned, blah blah Blue Spirit Concord blah blah and then it's four guys holding down the block button huddled around the bonfire until I black crystal out.

I'd imagine it's probably because ember is a somewhat limited resource. Especially if you're not very good, and need co-op to beat a boss in the first place. Therefore, someone killing you while you're embered is a big setback, and getting an ember for killing them is a huge score. You're going to do everything you can to survive, and not try to have fun by challenging yourself against a stranger.

edit: that's a guess anyway, I'm soloing the game, and will fight whatever invader wants to challenge me (they'll probably win, since I suck at PVP).

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

sector_corrector posted:

I'd imagine it's probably because ember is a somewhat limited resource. Especially if you're not very good, and need co-op to beat a boss in the first place. Therefore, someone killing you while you're embered is a big setback, and getting an ember for killing them is a huge score. You're going to do everything you can to survive, and not try to have fun by challenging yourself against a stranger.

edit: that's a guess anyway, I'm soloing the game, and will fight whatever invader wants to challenge me (they'll probably win, since I suck at PVP).

I think this is definitely part of the problem. When you as a newbie get to Undead Settlement (if you even make it that far) you probably don't have even 4 or 5 if you didn't waste them. It was dumb to keep invasion tied to a consumable like that.

Crazygamer
Dec 29, 2008
Trying to do password summoning. Summoner is level 16, no weapon upgrades, embered, NG. Summoned is level 150, maxed weapon, unembered, NG+++. Trying to summon at halfway fortress bonfire. Are there any restrictions that would affect these characters from pairing? For the record, if I switch the 150 for a 25 it works fine so I don't think it's a connection thing. My best guess is that weapon level affects passwords but that seems odd. Otherwise it's the NG+++ difference but I thought I've heard of people crossing that boundary just fine. Any ideas? On PS4.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

LmaoTheKid posted:

I'd say Cathedral, because there are NPC quests that you can mess up by doing Catacombs first.

If you're a pyromancer there's a really useful pyromancy tome for Cathedral pretty early on in the Catacombs behind a fake wall though, so it's arguably worth it to do Catacombs until you get that then go back to Cathedral.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 20, 2016

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

LmaoTheKid posted:

About a third. Cathedral is easier and you'll have to go there eventually, so do that I'd say. But Catacombs does have some sweet items.

e: NG and NG+ (and beyond) were partitioned in DS2 at least.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Crazygamer posted:

Trying to do password summoning. Summoner is level 16, no weapon upgrades, embered, NG. Summoned is level 150, maxed weapon, unembered, NG+++. Trying to summon at halfway fortress bonfire. Are there any restrictions that would affect these characters from pairing? For the record, if I switch the 150 for a 25 it works fine so I don't think it's a connection thing. My best guess is that weapon level affects passwords but that seems odd. Otherwise it's the NG+++ difference but I thought I've heard of people crossing that boundary just fine. Any ideas? On PS4.

When I summoned my friend with a higher weapon upgrade he got a little icon and he said his attack rating decreased, so it should match you on that end. The only other thing is both of us have to be in the zone before one puts their sign down or sometimes it won't appear for the host.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

The Rokstar posted:

I'd say Cathedral, because there are NPC quests that you can mess up by doing Catacombs first.

If you're a pyromancer there's a really useful pyromancy tome for Cathedral pretty early on in the Catacombs behind a fake wall though, so it's arguably worth it to do Catacombs until you get that then go back to Cathedral.

f#a# posted:

About a third. Cathedral is easier and you'll have to go there eventually, so do that I'd say. But Catacombs does have some sweet items.

Thanks! I'm pretty much a STR build so the pyro stuff doesn't really benefit me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Crazygamer posted:

I would guess its because you're NG+++. If he's only level 16 surely you can create a new character and catch up in like 5 seconds? Especially if you're already on NG+++ :v:

I guess you wanted to just roll through the game for him, but it'd be more fun to roll a new character anyhow. Plus in theory when passwords are used to summon a much higher level character "his power level is lowered to that of the host" but I have no clue what that actually means in practical terms.

f#a# posted:

Yeah, they weren't in DS1 IIRC but they were in DS2 for sure and I would figure they probably are in DS3.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I killed Vordt, aka Fuckface number one. Boy, I thought coming from Bloodborne would have prepped me more.

Cant wait for Fuckface number two.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It rarely nets me a win but it's drat fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, they weren't in DS1 IIRC but they were in DS2 for sure and I would figure they probably are in DS3.

They weren't in Bloodborne, right? I could see it going either way in DS3 as a result.

I hope not because I'm about to get Darkmoon Blade on my current dude and I'd like to take him to NG+, but I also don't want to lock myself out of PvP for a good while.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Angelwolf posted:

I killed Vordt, aka Fuckface number one. Boy, I thought coming from Bloodborne would have prepped me more.

Cant wait for Fuckface number two.

Vordt kind of strikes me as the classic Souls boss archetype of Big Fuckoff Dude On Four Legs, where the strat is basically just stay under him and he can't do poo poo.

I hear Bloodborne plays on this with one boss and makes it so you can't do that, but I haven't played Bloodborne beyond Gascoigne so I wouldn't know.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

They weren't in Bloodborne, right? I could see it going either way in DS3 as a result.

I hope not because I'm about to get Darkmoon Blade on my current dude and I'd like to take him to NG+, but I also don't want to lock myself out of PvP for a good while.

I wouldn't know because pvp and co-op in BB were so rare overall :v: Played with a friend for most of the game and goons a couple times and that's it.

Considering DS3 added the whole weapon upgrade thing as a pvp limiter to avoid newbies getting ganked, I would imagine NG+ would also be a partition.

Course if they let you co-op with somebody 100 levels higher than you using a password, why not let somebody NG+ co-op with you at that point? Maybe the password isn't truly unlimited but just has a really big range of like 80 levels?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I wouldn't know because pvp and co-op in BB were so rare overall :v: Played with a friend for most of the game and goons a couple times and that's it.

Considering DS3 added the whole weapon upgrade thing as a pvp limiter to avoid newbies getting ganked, I would imagine NG+ would also be a partition.

Course if they let you co-op with somebody 100 levels higher than you using a password, why not let somebody NG+ co-op with you at that point? Maybe the password isn't truly unlimited but just has a really big range of like 80 levels?

I think the existence of the weapon upgrade thing means NG+ doesn't really need to be a partition. Any advantage NG+ gives you is covered by the weapon upgrade and SL matching, and that's all you need. Of course, that doesn't mean they didn't do it, but hey :v:

Someone has to have tested this by now, right? Or maybe they tried but the overall fuckiness of online at the moment prevented any conclusive results.

Anyway my main motivation for wanting to take my current dude to NG+ is because I let Greirat die (I messed up the timing on his second trip and Siegward wasn't there to save him :negative:) and I want a mulligan on that, but at the same time, I'm pretty sure the current trend of me getting Darkmoon invasions regularly is gonna dry up right quick and I don't think I want to gamble on me being able to pull off 30 Proofs on a second character.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 20, 2016

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I made a deeply unsatisfying montage of me getting three different bosses to approximately one hit away from dead and then getting crushed into the dirt. Dark Souls as gently caress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FIR1-HtZJs
(It's cool to link your own non-monetised youtubes, right?)

The Rokstar posted:

I hear Bloodborne plays on this with one boss and makes it so you can't do that, but I haven't played Bloodborne beyond Gascoigne so I wouldn't know.
Why not? I much prefer Bloodborne to DS3...

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

VagueRant posted:

I made a deeply unsatisfying montage of me getting three different bosses to approximately one hit away from dead and then getting crushed into the dirt. Dark Souls as gently caress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FIR1-HtZJs
(It's cool to link your own non-monetised youtubes, right?)
Why not? I much prefer Bloodborne to DS3...

No PS4 :( I played BB on a friend's PS4 for a couple hours once and that's how I was able to get to Gascoigne.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

I don't understand why they make STR and UGS suck so bad at everything when this game series is just a big Berserk homage.

Crazygamer
Dec 29, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I would guess its because you're NG+++. If he's only level 16 surely you can create a new character and catch up in like 5 seconds? Especially if you're already on NG+++ :v:

Shooting for low level fashion souls when I co-op. Level 16 character is a dummy to bounce items off of.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Yo, don't try running Dark Souls 3 in Wondowed Borderless mode using this poo poo right here or you'll get 'penalized' and then softbanned from online gameplay!

Hurray! Gonna shoot myself now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr.Citrus posted:

I don't understand why they make STR and UGS suck so bad at everything when this game series is just a big Berserk homage.

They super don't suck though? I mean compared to straight swords everything sucks, but there are some fantastic Strength weapons and at least half of the UGSs are excellent. The two that sucked the most got buffed on Monday, too, and now the Astora Greatsword is an A+ shitwrecker.

I'm doing better with the Astora Greatsword (an ultra greatsword) now than I was with my Longsword before and I'm usually the guy who can't ever let go of his super-fast Dex weapon. I'd never say it's a better weapon for everyone than a straight sword, of course, but I think that's a decent enough sign that it's 100% viable and good. And it owns hard in PvP, too.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

You can sum it up even more succinctly by saying "Fire kills leeches".

There's a ton of leeches all over you when you get the bleed buildup; that's what is causing it.

Although I was kinda sad that pyromancy didn't seem to do the trick. Didn't test whether getting hit by it would work or not.

It must have been the armor I was wearing but until the third time I went through that area I didn't notice the leeches on my character. :shrug:

Actually, the first time I went through that area the bleed effect coincidentally stopped as soon as I killed one of those dual wielding guys further up the steps, so I somehow thought that it was a stare/LOS effect like the Winter Lanterns from BB.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I reached the Smouldering Lake and killed the demon mini-boss by running past him and waking up a bunch of skeletons who beat the poo poo out of him for me.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I want to personally strangle anyone who gets summoned for an area defense covenant and then wants to honorabu fight. loving imbeciles.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Any tips or things I can try to get this game to not crash? I haven't had more than a 30 min session without the game just locking up and crashing to desktop. I tried setting my lighting setting to low but that didn't solve it. Would really like to play this game :(

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Harrow posted:

I think the existence of the weapon upgrade thing means NG+ doesn't really need to be a partition. Any advantage NG+ gives you is covered by the weapon upgrade and SL matching, and that's all you need. Of course, that doesn't mean they didn't do it, but hey :v:

NG+ also has upgraded rings (with admittedly small bonuses for most cases) and I am not certain whether the matchmaking system accounts for that (unless it does indeed partition by NG). I can't see FORM doing that mainly because it prevents people from doing multiple NG+ runs without being completely isolated multiplayer wise.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

The Rokstar posted:

Vordt kind of strikes me as the classic Souls boss archetype of Big Fuckoff Dude On Four Legs, where the strat is basically just stay under him and he can't do poo poo.

Vordt reminded me of a cross between Blood Starved Beast and Darkbeast Paarl. Enjoyable fight, but I get the feeling he'll be quite tame compared to the others. Still took me a good 9 or 10 attempts though. At least I dont have to grind out potions in DS3.

Gascoigne was a pain in my rear end but definitely a learning experience, which I believe it was supposed to be.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Orv posted:

I want to personally strangle anyone who gets summoned for an area defense covenant and then wants to honorabu fight. loving imbeciles.

I am strongly of the opinion that there is no honor in invasions, on either side. Both the host and the invader should play as dirty as possible. Honor is for Red Sign Soapstone duels and fight clubs.

(Incidentally this opinion helps me out quite a bit because I love being a Darkmoon and that's like the opposite of an honorable duel covenant)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's kind of a bummer that I'm missing out on every single side quest so far. I haven't ran into Squidward since the settlement, Yoel died like a neglected puppy before I could get the levels I needed, and I haven't ran into Anri again after Road of Sacrifice. Additionally, Hawkwood left after I killed the abyss watchers but then returned after I reloaded so I think something glitched there.
Can I even do Rosarito's fingers at this point? Am at Carthan Catacombs

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
^thanks for spoiler tags

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Calaveron posted:

It's kind of a bummer that I'm missing out on every single side quest so far. I haven't ran into Squidward since the settlement, Yoel died like a neglected puppy before I could get the levels I needed, and I haven't ran into Anri again after Road of Sacrifice. Additionally, Hawkwood left after I killed the abyss watchers but then returned after I reloaded so I think something glitched there.
Can I even do Rosarito's fingers at this point? Am at Carthan Catacombs

Have you been to the Cathedral of the Deep? If not, you should explore the area around the Halfway Fortress more.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

The Rokstar posted:

Bloodborne bosses are like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSCzjyekIp8

Lots of different moves for hitting you once you get under, though this guy might be a bad example because you are pretty safe at the back legs outside of his grab attack and under is still easier than 5-10 ft in front of. BB also does stuff I wish would happen more in DS3 where hitting different limbs causes different kinds of crippling effects. One of these in DS3 is if you hit the bridge demon hard enough in the legs his legs explode.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
To be honest, BB's bosses and combat were a lot more fun and interesting to me, even though DS3's are a close second. DS3 blows BB out of the water in terms of exploration, however.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Cathedral knights are totally kicking my rear end. Hardest normal enemy I've encountered so far alongside with those big plant bears in Farron keep. Seems like they can hit however much they want with their drat mace.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Coolwhoami posted:

Have you been to the Cathedral of the Deep? If not, you should explore the area around the Halfway Fortress more.

I was making GBS threads myself about the Giant Slaves inside the Cathedral, but then I realized... you can kill them! It just never struck me that I would be able to do any meaningful damage to them because, well, they're giant, but apparently that's just :darksouls: for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

I am strongly of the opinion that there is no honor in invasions, on either side. Both the host and the invader should play as dirty as possible. Honor is for Red Sign Soapstone duels and fight clubs.

(Incidentally this opinion helps me out quite a bit because I love being a Darkmoon and that's like the opposite of an honorable duel covenant)

I usually invade as a purple Mad phantom and I'll have some honor in that I'll join whichever side has fewer players. If its a 2v1 then I join the invader, if its a 1v1 then I'll probably go after the host but maybe backstab the phantom if he's being lame.

I also like to use the 'very good' stone after watching a host kill another phantom, or after another phantom kills the host, like a friendly pat on the back.

If I get summoned as an Aldritch faithful though you better believe that I'm there for blood.