Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Hellsau posted:

the other TD line is basically turds the whole way through except the Charioteer has a good gun.
Actually the Achilles is pretty good and the Archer really wrecks face if you can work around the gimmick. I mean I wouldn't call the latter a good td because it is awkward to play, but it's far from a turd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Hellsau posted:

This is a gross mischaracterization of most British tanks. The Cromwell and Comet hulls are great since they can get where they need to be. Most of the British Heavies are terrible hulls with terrible guns that are basically punishing you for trying to get the excellent Conqueror (great hull, turret and gun) and FV215b (great gun, good hull, workable turret). The Brick TD line fits that description, and the other TD line is basically turds the whole way through except the Charioteer has a good gun.

Ok, maybe amazing is a bit over the top, but the Black Prince and the Caernarvon both have good guns, it's just that the platforms they are mounted on are not great (they are pretty terrible.) The brick TD line is the only one I did, I forgot they even added another one during my time away from the game and the mediums I completely agree about the Cromwell and the Comet, but then after that it seems to go back to the good gun lovely hull theme.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

So what is the Centurion like with the 17 pounder, bad or really bad?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

deathbagel posted:

Ok, maybe amazing is a bit over the top, but the Black Prince and the Caernarvon both have good guns, it's just that the platforms they are mounted on are not great (they are pretty terrible.) The brick TD line is the only one I did, I forgot they even added another one during my time away from the game and the mediums I completely agree about the Cromwell and the Comet, but then after that it seems to go back to the good gun lovely hull theme.

The Black Prince does not have a good gun. It has a mediocre gun with horribly insufficient AP pen. That its also attached to an immobile armorless chassis is just the icing on the cake. 171 pen on a gun is fine for tier seven if you can move to get good shots, or are able to slug it out with the enemy, but poor alpha, poor pen and mediocre DPM combined with the post-nerf worthless armor makes for a tank that can't hope to just slug it out. If the drat APCR wasn't so outrageously overpriced for the tiny shell damage it'd be fine, but spending 2800 credits for one 150 damage shot isn't tenable. Spending more money grinding the lovely Black Prince than I do playing my VK3002D is nonsensical.

The Caern's gun is good, but the new turret is completely worthless.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Whatever it was the Caernarvon had it worked well for me. 98 battles to get through it, 62% victories, average xp 875, and a mark of excellence.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ramsus posted:

Whatever it was the Caernarvon had it worked well for me. 98 battles to get through it, 62% victories, average xp 875, and a mark of excellence.

They added a new top turret to the Caern and stock turret to Conq. It's basically an even thinner Cent AX turret, so you just can't ever afford to try to bounce shots off the turret because the roof is so big and thin, and the "thick" part of the turret is still easily pennable.

I liked the Caern but I'd not want to play it with the new top turret.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Is that a recent change? I just played through it within the last couple months. Also I never researched the top engine.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ramsus posted:

Is that a recent change? I just played through it within the last couple months. Also I never researched the top engine.

Same patch that the Cent AX change happened.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
i made new friends http://wotreplays.com/site/2632845#stats watch that replay , our next 4 games went exactly the same way we would rush and not stop roll teams 15-0 or 15-2 something similar it was a lot of fun

(seen other t-22s invited them to platoon and we just kept owning)

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 20, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Turmoilx posted:

i made new friends http://wotreplays.com/site/2632845#stats watch that replay , our next 4 games went exactly the same way we would rush and not stop roll teams 15-0 or 15-2 something similar it was a lot of fun

(seen other t-22s invited them to platoon and we just kept owning)

This is like the third wotreplays.com link I've seen this week that just gives me a 404 error.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
The British medium line is probably the consistently strongest line. It used to get a bad reputation because the 4202 was bad but the Cent AX is great so there's nothing holding it back.

The low point is the Covenanter; without the 40% fire chance engine it has nothing special. The Crusader is unremarkable but not bad, and it has light tank camo when moving which counts for a little. The Cent 1 is good but it's overshadowed by the Pershing. Cent 7 is great; t9 mediums are incredibly strong and well positioned but it's only obviously worse than the top 3. The Cruiser III, Cruiser IV, Cromwell, and Comet are best in class/tier.

The Cent AX has less raw DPM than the STB but it beats it in every other respect, including applied DPM in most cases. I can hardly stand my STB after getting the CAX.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 20, 2016

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

deathbagel posted:

Problem with the British heavy tanks is they good guns, but get them at the wrong tier. The 17pdr is bad at tier 7, especially on a heavy, and the 20pdr is really bad at tier 8, especially with how poor its ROF is.
My hope for the UK heavy line was to remove the Church7 and move the BP and Caern down a tier, adjusting stats accordingly. So now you've got a tier 6 BP with a really solid gun and nice armor, but is limited by its speed and its weak flanks. But now it doesn't see tanks that can completely ignore it. The Caern could actually work at tier 7, a 230 damage gun with 220 pen at that tier is really good.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

CitizenKain posted:

Problem with the British heavy tanks is they good guns, but get them at the wrong tier. The 17pdr is bad at tier 7, especially on a heavy, and the 20pdr is really bad at tier 8, especially with how poor its ROF is.
My hope for the UK heavy line was to remove the Church7 and move the BP and Caern down a tier, adjusting stats accordingly. So now you've got a tier 6 BP with a really solid gun and nice armor, but is limited by its speed and its weak flanks. But now it doesn't see tanks that can completely ignore it. The Caern could actually work at tier 7, a 230 damage gun with 220 pen at that tier is really good.

I don't understand, how does this punish the players for playing?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Wulfolme posted:

I don't understand, how does this punish the players for playing?

They enjoy their tanks, and they'd like to play more battles in those tanks. The pubbies will ruin their games which will make them unhappy, and the larger number of games will more swiftly crush any enthusiasm they once held in playing the game. They'll grow to hate the tanks they once enjoyed.

I believe this is the way to maximize the play's suffering.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
So I found a pic I forgot I had saved

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I think he got his mission.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

Too bad this was long before missions. Hell when was this even taken? Before 9.0????

Actually judging it might be like 8.5 or something? Not sure when they changed % of health left to damage dealt. Also not sure when they added chinese tanks and changed the Foch tank names. It was also before the server split, so clearly we just need to ask Rossmum back when he could actually play :v:

primelaw fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 20, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

CitizenKain posted:

This.... this would actually make a lot of sense. The Caern would be pretty comparable to the Tiger I; Lower DPM, but compensates with better gun depression, pen and aim stats.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

Hellsau posted:

This is like the third wotreplays.com link I've seen this week that just gives me a 404 error.

first iv heard of that oh well, team rushed down hill like bees 3 t22s RoF is devastating plus other people who followed too at the same time it was a glorious push

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

I did the right thing and sold the Challenger :cabot:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

A Handed Missus posted:

I did the right thing and sold the Challenger :cabot:
Godspeed Cabot :cabot:

I'm still a bit bewildered how I managed to grind through the Challenger so easily. It is a lovely tank, but somehow I never felt particularly terrible driving it and it didn't feel like a long grind at all.
On the other hand, going through the IS-2 I felt like the grind was never gonna end, eventhough it's a good and powerful tank.

loving mind man, how does it work?

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So is the anime tank just a bad tank or am i just bad at mediums? I went all the way to tier 5 german, and first time playing a med, but im losing to lights. My shits are just flying off targets a tier below me for some reason. Am i bad or is the tank bad?

Im 8k xp away from unlocking the anime version. Im in too deep to stop but should i just sell it for the garage space?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Philosopher King posted:

So is the anime tank just a bad tank or am i just bad at mediums? I went all the way to tier 5 german, and first time playing a med, but im losing to lights. My shits are just flying off targets a tier below me for some reason. Am i bad or is the tank bad?

Im 8k xp away from unlocking the anime version. Im in too deep to stop but should i just sell it for the garage space?

What's the anime tank? Did I miss something?

Also, because you're new to the game, a lot of the problems you're having are probably because the crews in your tanks are below 100% main qual. That makes a massive difference in your ability to hit things and reload at a reasonable rate.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Even coming back a year later, the problem with British tanks using the 17 and 20pdr guns is that their low damage, rapid fire gimmick has never really worked in game. The biggest guns that make the biggest bang have always been the best - excepting the 6 shot revolvers - because you only need to spend a third of the time with your rear end hanging in the breeze to put the damage down. Using the damage over time advantage of British pop guns requires armour or camo to survive the exposure, and those vehicles don't reliably have either, never have, and now I'm reading they all got even worse turret armour?

Case in point, I've been trying a few games in what used to be my pretty fun Achilles, and I'm just watching teams, and my Achilles, get effortlessly mown down by these new (to me) Japanese O-I things with 15cm guns. Those and KV-2s are all the tier 6 heavies I've seen the last few days.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

High-rof, low-alpha guns work just fine. Just look at the T-62A. Or the T-34.

The thing is that the 20 pdr on the Cent and Caern doesn't actually fire quickly. It just doesn't deal very much damage.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Prav posted:

High-rof, low-alpha guns work just fine. Just look at the T-62A. Or the T-34.

The thing is that the 20 pdr on the Cent and Caern doesn't actually fire quickly. It just doesn't deal very much damage.

The T-34 is a tier 5, and even then unless they nerfed them all again while I was gone the 105 Sherman and Pz4 were still much better, and since when are any of the Soviet tier X mediums high rof low alpha? They're all 9s 320 alpha and they're all middle of the road, there is no high rof low alpha tier X medium.

Above tier 5/6, unless it's a rapid firing autoloader, the meta has never favoured high rate of fire, it's always favoured camp and peek and poke alpha, both in terms of map design, and how most of the thunderfucks choose to play.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 20, 2016

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

since when are any of the Soviet tier X mediums high rof low alpha? They're all 9s 320 alpha and they're all middle of the road, there is no high rof low alpha tier X medium.

Since they have the lowest alpha and highest RoF of all tier 9 an 10 mediums?

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Any of the smaller (30 bucks or under) gold deals any good right now? Wouldn't mind some premium time to shore up my credit earnings when I actually do a few games here and there. Plus switching equipment and all that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Gervasius posted:

Since they have the lowest alpha and highest RoF of all tier 9 an 10 mediums?

Lowest/highest in class sure, but they're not really over all, and they don't play like it either. Or at least the ones I own doen't, the T-62A and 430-II, just gave the T-62A a whirl and knocked out a 2700xp daily as a scout and then peak and poke flanking a group of heavies and TDs.

e: Only high rof low alpha tank I've ever seen of any use above tier 6 is a 90mm T32 slinging gold, because it's got a turret with genuine staying power.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 20, 2016

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

What's the anime tank? Did I miss something?
Pz.IV H

It's the flagship tank in Girls und Panzer.

The key to doing well in the Pz.IV H is to mount the 10,5 with HE shells and derping everything with indiscriminate justice. Just like the M4 Sherman.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

RanKizama posted:

Pz.IV H

It's the flagship tank in Girls und Panzer.

The key to doing well in the Pz.IV H is to mount the 10,5 with HE shells and derping everything with indiscriminate justice. Just like the M4 Sherman.

Yea, before the big nerf this was so glorious! It's still pretty good though.

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

NTRabbit posted:

Lowest/highest in class sure, but they're not really over all, and they don't play like it either. Or at least the ones I own doen't, the T-62A and 430-II, just gave the T-62A a whirl and knocked out a 2700xp daily as a scout and then peak and poke flanking a group of heavies and TDs.

e: Only high rof low alpha tank I've ever seen of any use above tier 6 is a 90mm T32 slinging gold, because it's got a turret with genuine staying power.

Soviet mediums are high rof in the context of tiers 8-10, regardless of class. Obviously not in when compared to something like a T-34, but they're not doing 115 or whatever damage per shot either.

My soviet mediums fire a shot every 5.5 seconds, can keep something permatracked, and can reasonably expect to "win" any DPM war with a non-autoloader I'm dumb enough to engage in. They also have the smallest alpha in tier 10 (with the exception of the Czech medium, I think, but that's an autoloader), so that's how they get played.

Basically that's what we're seeing, yeah.
vvvvvvvvvvv

frood fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 20, 2016

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

Lol NTRabbit is still showing how very very wrong he is about everything

Also, apparently this map is on supertest right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLUEglaZ7z8

primelaw fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 20, 2016

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
I keep looking at the vhangelog at how this game evolved and it looks like last year they talked about a big arty revamp. Did they ever do it? What changed?

Philosopher King fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 21, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Wow, rude.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I must just not have equipment on my T-44, because my reload on that is over 7 seconds. The panther II is significantly faster with better pen.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I must just not have equipment on my T-44, because my reload on that is over 7 seconds. The panther II is significantly faster with better pen.

the T-44 is actually a T7 LT

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I think they should keep the T-22 in the game, just turn it into an artillery and cut it down to 400 HP with like a 13 second reload on its gun. That'll piss of basically anyone dumb enough to grind to get an overpowered medium, and also piss off everyone else because now they're getting shot by an overpowered unkillable arti!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hellsau posted:

I think they should keep the T-22 in the game, just turn it into an artillery and cut it down to 400 HP with like a 13 second reload on its gun. That'll piss of basically anyone dumb enough to grind to get an overpowered medium, and also piss off everyone else because now they're getting shot by an overpowered unkillable arti!

I almost guarantee what'll happen is the T-22 will become their most expensive premium ever, ~never to be sold again~, for $199.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I almost guarantee what'll happen is the T-22 will become their most expensive premium ever, ~never to be sold again~, for $199.99.

Tier ten premiums are the line they cannot cross until the very end. Once there is a tier ten premium, the amount of people quitting because of new players in tier tens will be too much for the game to bear for any real length of time.