Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't like Gone Home.
That Dragon, Cancer is also bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Most Beat-em-ups from the old days are like 90 minutes long and they rule.

Everybody should play Armored Warriors, it's amazing.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Ahundredbux posted:

I'm considering replaying either some skyrim or new vegas but I can't decide which, help me, games chat

new vegas and roleplay as Judge Dredd

clean the filth from the wasteland

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Monkey Fracas posted:

new vegas and roleplay as Judge Dredd

clean the filth from the wasteland

Sneering Imperialist + Bloody Mess.

Golden Goat posted:

Everybody should play Armored Warriors, it's amazing.

Extremely. I only wish it was tuned for home play instead of coin munching.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Macaluso posted:

It's a fun game and it's not that short and it's $40 not $60 :colbert:

that's better, but still too rich for my blood atm

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lurdiak posted:

Most Beat-em-ups from the old days are like 90 minutes long and they rule.
The original Prince of Persia had a 1 hour time limit on top of the screen. You literally couldn't play it longer than that because it was a game over.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ahundredbux posted:

I'm considering replaying either some skyrim or new vegas but I can't decide which, help me, games chat

Captain Toad

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lurdiak posted:

Nothing's changed. Gone Home remains a very cleverly made game, and some of the imitators that came after are just lazy and bad.

this. while I found the story of the game it self kinda meh(your sister is a lesbian and ran off with her gf and your dad was conservative dick) But I liked the environmental story telling and how you pieced stuff together. I think the problem is people took the wrong thing away from Gone home. Instead of great environmental story telling. the imitators went for "deep" "emotional" plots and with no gameplay. you just walk around and get the authors message thrown in your face, In Gone home you had to actually discover it. Sunset is the biggest example of this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZly6bW3UMk

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 20, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Kins posted:

There were some good games on the Ouya, like Towerfall, but they fled to PC and other consoles as quickly as their metaphorical legs could carry them.

I work with a guy who said last week "I'm really excited for the OUYA to come out"

I stood there a minute while my brain processed that and finally said "Erm, it already came out..." to which he clarified "Oh I meant come out in stores around here" at which point I did a mental ALT-F4 on the whole conversation

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. while I found the story of the game it self kinda meh(your sister is a lesbian and ran off with her gf and your dad was conservative dick) But I liked the environmental story telling and how you pieced stuff together. I think the problem is people took the wrong thing away from Gone home. Instead of great environmental story telling. the imitators went for "deep" "emotional" plots and with no gameplay. you just walk around and get the authors message thrown in your face, In Gone home you had to actually discover it. Sunset is the biggest example of this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZly6bW3UMk
Yeah, I liked piecing together mom's affair from tickets and notes, how dad's writing career went and that uncle's hosed up story. The side-stories were way better than the main one honestly because at certain point it was just saying the same things over and over and over again but with different words and that was kinda eye-rolling but nontheless a very cool experience. Also lol at people who were disappointed that you didn't find the sister hanged in the cellar or that she wasn't a ghost or a dozen other lovely twists that people were sure would have been genius in the thread because gamers need things to be cranked up to 11 and turned upside down. It could have been all a dream, woah.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I loved Gone Home and generally like all walking simulators but goddamn Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was just bad

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Walking simulators is such a childish thing to call the genre.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't understand why they're not just called adventure games. Like is Real Myst retroactively a walking simulator.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

People who hated Gone Home called it a walking simulator out of spite. Then people who actually liked Gone Home accepted that as the name for the genre. I never really understood that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

"drawer-opening sim" was more accurate for Gone Home.

I have a Vita and want to get old PSP games I missed on it. How are The Warriors and Ultimate Ghouls and Ghosts, has anyone tried those? Heard good things about Warriors but nothing about the other one.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcT706B4eZI

Every once in a while I'll start to play something else and then I remember that Rocket League is better than any other game I own.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Palpek posted:

It got bad rep for being an attrocious PC port more than anything else. I mean it still may not run no matter what your config is and they rereleased the game after it was taken down from Steam having changed absolutely nothing in it - no patch, no performance boost, nada. Which made the updated reviews applauding the publisher for getting the game to finally work even more hilarious.

Otherwise it's a good Batman game, I'd argue it's the most polished one in the series and the Bat Tank is good for a while but I can see why people got tired with it after a few hours and it not being optional is another factor.

What does really suck though is that they locked the proper ending behind collecting 250 Riddler trophies and that's insane. It's not a hidden ending either - after 'finishing' the game you're left with Batman going 'now to end this and finally deal with the consequences of this finale once and for all' and then it turns out you need to collect all the poo poo. gently caress that.

Maybe there's 250 literal trophies, but you also have to do all those destructible items and snapshot riddles which are more obscure and bullshit than ever. I think if you count those it's like 400-450 jerkoff Riddler bullshit things you have to do.
Also, the "full" ending adds nothing worthwhile. Better off watching it on Youtube after you finish the main quest, because as someone who liked getting 100% of the poo poo in Asylum and City, there is absolutely nothing enjoyable about doing all the riddler poo poo in Knight.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
wait I thought they did do something to improve Arkham Knight on PC?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Monkey Fracas posted:

No.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

I mean, you're not wrong, but...

Palpek posted:

People who hated Gone Home called it a walking simulator out of spite. Then people who actually liked Gone Home accepted that as the name for the genre. I never really understood that.

...it's one of the stages of grief. Acceptance.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

precision posted:

I loved Gone Home and generally like all walking simulators but goddamn Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was just bad

I like some of the horror ones and gone home, but Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and sunset are worst loving "games" ever. Gone Home is a game and filled with interesting ideas and creative mechanics. but those two(rapture and sunset) are barely games. one is just walking around listening to boring audio diaries and the other is pretentsions circle jerk of the two devs political opinions which includes removing "problematic" books. then when Their poo poo "game" tanked, they went apeshit and had a massive meltdown about how gamers cause shootings. https://web.archive.org/web/20150710082610/http://gamasutra.com/blogs/MichaelSamyn/20150709/248130/1_Violence_begets_Violence.php

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

How did that little pasty fucker calling the other dude a bitch not get beaten into the ground

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
What makes the hidden ending for Arkham Kninght so dumb is it leaves on a cliff hanger. I love Rocksteady's games and all but you end a trilogy with a cliff hanger. I will admit I did the trophies because I wanted to punch Riddler's face in.

It wasn't as satisfying like Arkham City's unfortunately.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I like some of the horror ones and gone home, but Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and sunset are worst loving "games" ever. Gone Home is a game and filled with interesting ideas and creative mechanics. but those two(rapture and sunset) are barely games. one is just walking around listening to boring audio diaries and the other is pretentsions circle jerk of the two devs political opinions which includes removing "problematic" books. then when Their poo poo "game" tanked, they went apeshit and had a massive meltdown about how gamers cause shootings. https://web.archive.org/web/20150710082610/http://gamasutra.com/blogs/MichaelSamyn/20150709/248130/1_Violence_begets_Violence.php

My hot take on the walking sim genre is that I've got no interest in them since I like my games to have more challenge and interaction in them, and also extreme levels of violence but I don't think it's're killing the medium and if other people like it good for them as long as they don't start moralising about it. Also I'll probably buy Firewatch one of these days so I can yell at stupid teens in lakes.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 20, 2016

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the Tale of Tales dev meltdown about Sunset on twitter was top tier, thanlks for reminding me

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I played Gone Home and I thought it was pretty alright, but also I have a soft spot for early 90's Riot Grrl music so....

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

MinibarMatchman posted:

the Tale of Tales dev meltdown about Sunset on twitter was top tier, thanlks for reminding me

Don't forget the part where after claiming they'd never make another game again they turned around and ran a kickstarter for their next one. :lol:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
What's with all the Urusei Yatsura avatars?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Palpek posted:

The original Prince of Persia had a 1 hour time limit on top of the screen. You literally couldn't play it longer than that because it was a game over.

I don't think this is true for the original, I think you just don't get to fight the final boss when you get to the last level and the Princess is gone. At least that's how it is on the SNES version.

Prince of Persia 2 is this way, but IIRC the time limit doesn't start until like halfway through the game and I don't remember how long it gives you.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Instant Sunrise posted:

:iiam:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Instant Sunrise posted:

FactsAreUseless posted:

Everyone loves Rumiko Takahashi.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

They are the reason i get turned off by alot of indie games sadly. I hate pretentious poo poo with fiery passion and indie games community is full of it. For every Gone Home, their are like 7 sunsets.

Mordja posted:

My hot take on the walking sim genre is that I've got no interest in them since I like my games to have more challenge and interaction in them, and also extreme levels of violence but I don't think it's're killing the medium and if other people like it good for them as long as they don't start moralising about it. Also I'll probably buy Firewatch one of these days so I can yell at stupid teens in lakes.

Pretty much. I have heard mixed stuff about fire watch. I always get annoyed when a game talks up "mystrious" stuff in the game. and then nothing happens or its something mundane.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Palpek posted:

More like you get the bad ending. You can still go through the game and kill Jafar. Just afterwards when you finish, you just find an empty room and welp.

Two was more brutal though goddamn.

edit: googling Shadow and Flame and they made a PoP reskin. Only it's moblie.

Ew.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mordja posted:

Don't forget the part where after claiming they'd never make another game again they turned around and ran a kickstarter for their next one. :lol:

wait what? seriously.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Video games are art

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Monkey Fracas posted:

If you mean in terms of performance, I think there was a patch that made it go from "literally unplayable" to "playable, but not at all enjoyable" on my main PC, which met all the system requirements.
Whether it will actually run worth a poo poo seems to vary wildly, I wasn't able to actually play it until I got a gaming laptop with similar specs to my desktop, I guess maybe the difference that the laptop has an nvidia card in it?

Shindragon posted:

What makes the hidden ending for Arkham Kninght so dumb is it leaves on a cliff hanger. I love Rocksteady's games and all but you end a trilogy with a cliff hanger. I will admit I did the trophies because I wanted to punch Riddler's face in.

It wasn't as satisfying like Arkham City's unfortunately.

Same, the riddler fight was incredibly underwhelming.

Shindragon posted:

More like you get the bad ending. You can still go through the game and kill Jafar. Just afterwards when you finish, you just find an empty room and welp.

Two was more brutal though goddamn.

edit: googling Shadow and Flame and they made a PoP reskin. Only it's moblie.

Ew.

Worse, it's F2P, you have to buy the levels individually, lol.

From what I played of it, it's just a port of the POP remake that was on Xbox 360 anyway. The remake was nice in that they added some of the more parkour-y stuff to the gameplay mechanics, but they made the swordfighting mechanics really weird and unenjoyable.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 20, 2016

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I played the OG Prince of Persia remake that they released for XBLA and was really surprised at how much I liked it. I didn't play it when it was first released way back when but it didn't really strike me as a game that would age particularly well.

It's good though.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Dan Ryckert's podcast thingy with Nikki Glaser proves that he's the best Giant Bomb person.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They are the reason i get turned off by alot of indie games sadly. I hate pretentious poo poo with fiery passion and indie games community is full of it. For every Gone Home, their are like 7 sunsets.

Pretty much. I have heard mixed stuff about fire watch. I always get annoyed when a game talks up "mystrious" stuff in the game. and then nothing happens or its something mundane.

I actually wish Firewatch was more mundane but it is quite a good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

raditts posted:

Maybe there's 250 literal trophies, but you also have to do all those destructible items and snapshot riddles which are more obscure and bullshit than ever. I think if you count those it's like 400-450 jerkoff Riddler bullshit things you have to do.
Also, the "full" ending adds nothing worthwhile. Better off watching it on Youtube after you finish the main quest, because as someone who liked getting 100% of the poo poo in Asylum and City, there is absolutely nothing enjoyable about doing all the riddler poo poo in Knight.
Yeah, I watched it on Youtube but the ending of the game implies that it's some big deal, that you need to wrap up everything in Gotham before doing this final thing and it's a lovely way to end a game.

Monkey Fracas posted:

That's the info that was circulating based on the assumption that surely if Valve let them release it again then they must have improved it and then quite a few websites ran with that. It's all lies.

• Locked thread