Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Come play 30k instead, which is good and fun. Be cool and almost broke like SRM.

30k: Where xenos have been used as heroic fodder for marines to such a degree that they've all gone extinct.

Nah just kidding, there's some neat house rules for bringing in aliens into 30k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Mango Polo posted:

30k: Where xenos have been used as heroic fodder for marines to such a degree that they've all gone extinct.

Nah just kidding, there's some neat house rules for bringing in aliens into 30k.

Can I play the spiders from Murder yet?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
did somebody say murder spiders

we heed your call

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
"Codex: Orks 7th Ed Update" update: I started editing a BattleScribe data file last night, the Orks one. What a redundant clusterfuck. I wonder if I can pull down a cleaner version to write up & re-release. The whole "link" system is an adventure in itself, & I don't relish the thought of learning the ins & outs of catalogue editing, but onward I soldier for the Waaagh. This has to be a better way to distribute than just posting a PDF.

loving :wtc:
Fine, GW &FW. Fine, you elf-worshipping, power-gaming, knife-eared fairy gently caress-slunts. Choppa rule is back: "All weapons with the 'Choppa' type are S:D."

Power of the Waaagh!: All non-Gretchin Ork walkers and infantry units receive an extra 6" on charge movement, and may make a charge move instead of consolidating at the end of the assault phase. Multi-charging does not result in a disordered charge.

Orks Neva Lose!: Ork units destroyed in the assault phase do not confer Victory Points under any conditions.

Back for Anuvva Go: Roll a d6 for each Ork unit destroyed. On a roll of 3+, at the beginning of the controlling player's turn, an exact copy of that Ork unit arrives automatically on that player's table edge from Reserves with all the same upgrades and features as the one previously destroyed.

Go Down Fightin': If for any reason a non-Gretchin unit of Ork infantry flees from assault, each Ork model may take an additional attack step.

Dakka Dakka Dakka!: Orks may choose to take another shooting phase in place of the assault phase.

t:mad:>

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 20, 2016

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Warhammer 40k: it's good to be Good

Imperial
Eldar
Tau
supremacy

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Phyresis posted:

A Dark Eldar Player

Which is why my 4000 pts or so of DE are 'resting' in boxes and I have the new Mymeara book. And I'm copy/pasting your info into a Google Doc for ideas. And I'm going to do the same for stuff from 1d4chan...

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

krushgroove posted:

Which is why my 4000 pts or so of DE are 'resting' in boxes and I have the new Mymeara book. And I'm copy/pasting your info into a Google Doc for ideas. And I'm going to do the same for stuff from 1d4chan...

This article ain't half bad either: http://variancehammer.com/2016/02/14/reviewing-doom-of-mymeara-eldar-corsairs/

I don't agree with all of his conclusions and ratings but whatevs

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

PierreTheMime posted:

Forgeworld rules being overpowered?! They're usually so balanced and fair compared to the standard bo--ahaha couldn't finish the sentence.

Counterpoint: IA4 that isn't the malanthrope. 535 points for something shittier than a wraithknight

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Zaphod42 posted:

Anybody know if the Aegis Defense Line kit comes with a comms relay on the sprue? I see that it definitely includes the quadgun / icarus array, and the walls obviously, and I see lots of people who have pictures of comms relays next to theirs but I'm not sure if it actually comes in the kit or not.

It comes with the comms relay.

And yeah Forgeworld loves elves, news at 11.

e: I really hate Forgeworld, the books are just all over the place. But I also run a demon knight so it's me, I'm the problem.

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 20, 2016

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hencoe posted:

Counterpoint: IA4 that isn't the malanthrope. 535 points for something shittier than a wraithknight

To be honest GW is just as bad as FW now when it comes to balance. Unlike GW though FW does put out erratas and FAQs and you know the people writing the stuff genuinely love what they are doing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheChirurgeon posted:

The aegis defense line only comes with the quadgun. The Icarus lascannon and the comms relay come with the Imperial Bastion.

Ah, I thought so, which is why I hesitated. Thanks for the confirm---

Naramyth posted:

It comes with the comms relay.

Well now this is clear as mud.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Hencoe posted:

That's just the Tyranid effect in action.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Mango Polo posted:

To be honest GW is just as bad as FW now when it comes to balance. Unlike GW though FW does put out erratas and FAQs and you know the people writing the stuff genuinely love what they are doing.

Honestly I've been more impressed with FW lately, (as if this wasn't too obvious because I'm a huge 30k nut) a lot of their stuff has had a lot of character and I feel like they were probably stuck in a corner with the corsairs. What do you do in a situation where the base idea of an army is the 7th edition eldar book. You can't go and make it directly shittier and expect it to sell. Given the choices I still think corsairs are pretty cool despite the fact that I dislike eldar in their current state.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I dunno, I feel that Corsairs have enough weaknesses, such as the leadership debuff when falling back, that they are strong and screwy, but not necessarily OP unlike some stuff that is just plain cheese or stuff that goes against the fluff. (Seriously, Grey Knights allied with a librarian summoning demons?)

Regular Eldar is probably still more powerful than Corsairs, and a freakshow list is a very hard counter to one. Also, fear is probably useful for once.

Anyway, would a Mask of Secrets be useful on a Prince on jetbike with a squad of Jetbikes armed with venomblades? The -2 to Ld might be useful I think. I would only do this if I could take both the mask and void saber though, not sure if I can.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Hencoe posted:

I sigh, pushing away from my desk and rising to my feet. Muttering to myself, I dig through my pockets for the key to the lockbox. The key turns. The rusty lock complains and gives way. Light graces the dusty artifact for the first time in recent memory. I pick it up and blow the dust away, cradling the old friend in my hand. I sit back down and rest the artifact by the keyboard. It waits patiently for its time. I quote myself in a forums post. I let my friend shine for the world to see.

PierreTheMime posted:

Forgeworld rules being overpowered*?! They're usually so balanced and fair compared to the standard bo--ahaha couldn't finish the sentence.

*Except Tyranids

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

PierreTheMime posted:

I sigh, pushing away from my desk and rising to my feet. Muttering to myself, I dig through my pockets for the key to the lockbox. The key turns. The rusty lock complains and gives way. Light graces the dusty artifact for the first time in recent memory. I pick it up and blow the dust away, cradling the old friend in my hand. I sit back down and rest the artifact by the keyboard. It waits patiently for its time. I quote myself in a forums post. I let my friend shine for the world to see.

nice meltadown

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

*Except Tyranids

:allears: a classic.

Mine sits in the display case of my FLGS next to a Tau-tan. The 40k employee there says he gets a little sad when people ask if the giant spider bug could beat the (his) robot. Even if it did it's barely made half its points back.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I can finally color this stupid thing.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I bought 3 defense lines years ago for the quad guns to make ghetto hydras. They also come with the comms relay.

jadebullet posted:

I dunno, I feel that Corsairs have enough weaknesses, such as the leadership debuff when falling back, that they are strong and screwy, but not necessarily OP unlike some stuff that is just plain cheese or stuff that goes against the fluff. (Seriously, Grey Knights allied with a librarian summoning demons?)

Regular Eldar is probably still more powerful than Corsairs, and a freakshow list is a very hard counter to one. Also, fear is probably useful for once.

Anyway, would a Mask of Secrets be useful on a Prince on jetbike with a squad of Jetbikes armed with venomblades? The -2 to Ld might be useful I think. I would only do this if I could take both the mask and void saber though, not sure if I can.

lol my buddy brought GK summoning demons to flying monkey and got riggity rekt. It's ok, but not super good. His purifers in pods do more damage then the demons he summons.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

*Except Tyranids
Never forget.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Naramyth posted:

lol my buddy brought GK summoning demons to flying monkey and got riggity rekt. It's ok, but not super good. His purifers in pods do more damage then the demons he summons.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that it was super good, it's just super stupid and completely ignores the fluff.

Safety Factor posted:

Never forget.

Why not? GW seems to make a habit of forgetting to make Nids good.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

jadebullet posted:

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that it was super good, it's just super stupid and completely ignores the fluff.

The fluff is what you make of it.

A group of crazed librarians summoning demons are caught red handed by the GK but before they are wiped out there are some 'nids/xenos/demons/imperium that are going to get killed for seeing demons are are now tainted that need to be crushed.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

This is official art.

Incredible.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

jadebullet posted:

Grey Knight love daemons now because Matt Ward is a hack.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

Naramyth is wrong. There are some little comm bits (skulls or some poo poo) that come with the defense line, but the round-based antenna relay does not. You can go to the GW site and look at the sprue for the Aegis Defense Line and see that it isn't in there. It's also not visible on the box.

I've bought both, and the relays only come in bastions, also visible on the sprue. In fact, the relay comes on the same sprue as the heavy bolter sponsons for the bastion, so there is absolutely no way it'd come in the aegis defence line box.

If that doesn't clear things up for you, I don't know what to say

Naramyth posted:

I bought 3 defense lines years ago for the quad guns to make ghetto hydras. They also come with the comms relay.

Even if this were true at one point, it hasn't been for more than a year now. I suspect you are either mis-remembering or mistaking the bits he's talking about.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Aegis-Defence-Line

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 20, 2016

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

ro5s posted:

Grey Knight love daemons now because Matt Ward is a hack.

Matt Ward hasn't worked there in some time now.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Matt Ward hasn't worked there in some time now.

Yeah, but he wrote the codex that had all the 'no no guys it's totally cool this sound exactly like something daemonic but it's really not honest' fluff and the subsequent books have run with it.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

Naramyth is wrong. There are some little comm bits (skulls or some poo poo) that come with the defense line, but the round-based antenna relay does not. You can go to the GW site and look at the sprue for the Aegis Defense Line and see that it isn't in there. It's also not visible on the box.

I've bought both, and the relays only come in bastions, also visible on the sprue. In fact, the relay comes on the same sprue as the heavy bolter sponsons for the bastion, so there is absolutely no way it'd come in the aegis defence line box.

If that doesn't clear things up for you, I don't know what to say

Even if this were true at one point, it hasn't been for more than a year now. I suspect you are either mis-remembering or mistaking the bits he's talking about.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Aegis-Defence-Line

Yeah I'm thinking of those comm bits. I'm super wrong.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Naramyth posted:

Yeah I'm thinking of those comm bits. I'm super wrong.

Yeah, I figured. It's a lovely deal, since you only get the quad guns/relay/lascannon with certain terrain pieces

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Okay that makes sense. I could probably take those bits and put them on the turret base and make do, but it'd be a pretty dinky little thing. I probably want either the full comms relay or just go conversion from the get-go.

Thanks for the confirmation.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, I figured. It's a lovely deal, since you only get the quad guns/relay/lascannon with certain terrain pieces

Yeah its lovely, but no shittier than GW not including TL devourers with the Tyrant kit. I mean come the gently caress on.

I guess that kit is from before the meta ended up being TL devourer flyrants everywhere, but you'd think they'd still have one of them in there since its a base option.

I'm looking to find a fleshborer hive from the tyrranofex kit to use instead, but it seems even those are in high demand from 'nids players. And I don't think I want a tfex right now.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Commissar: Well, what is it Corporal? Out with it!
Corporal: It's Reginald, sir. I overheard him say something...unbecoming of a Guardsman at the latrine this morning.
Commissar: You have my attention, please go on.
Corporal: Private Reginald was speaking casually, you see, while urinating...he said he'd been holding it all night and that it burned to take a piss...he said it felt good.
Commissar: Hmmm...we'll need more evidence if any action is to be taken.
Corporal: He...he also had an enormous zit on his cheek yesterday. He said there's nothing more satisfying than popping an enormous zit.
Commissar: *cocks las-pistol*A Slaaneshi-Nurglite initiate in my unit? This will not stand!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ro5s posted:

Yeah, but he wrote the codex that had all the 'no no guys it's totally cool this sound exactly like something daemonic but it's really not honest' fluff and the subsequent books have run with it.

I always figured that stuff in the Codex was just the Grey Knights being smug, lying hypocrites like just about everyone else in the setting.

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014

ro5s posted:

Which thing is this? Is it the whole "oh yeah no they can totally have weapons made out of daemons" or something else you're referring to?

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
How do GKs summon out of curiosity? The BRB says that GKs are restricted to santic, not malefic.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Milotic posted:

How do GKs summon out of curiosity? The BRB says that GKs are restricted to santic, not malefic.

Allies, presumably.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Milotic posted:

GK have a ton of psychic dice but not a lot to really spend it on. You use them as a battery for something like a Librarian Conclave that will manifest on a 2+.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Oh right, silly me. Thanks. As for them not having a lot - they are able to use gate of infinity to break out of combat and then shoot you is annoying. That and they can give one of their guns ID via force. I really need to start taking sorcerers or just go Khorne Daemonkin more often.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Milotic posted:

Oh right, silly me. Thanks. As for them not having a lot - they are able to use gate of infinity to break out of combat and then shoot you is annoying. That and they can give one of their guns ID via force. I really need to start taking sorcerers or just go Khorne Daemonkin more often.

The new Cyclopia Cabal formation (Black Legion) looks p. solid, and it's a reliable way to get 3+ sorcerers, while easy to include as just a formation detachment in an existing chaos army.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

TheChirurgeon posted:

The new Cyclopia Cabal formation (Black Legion) looks p. solid, and it's a reliable way to get 3+ sorcerers, while easy to include as just a formation detachment in an existing chaos army.

Thanks. I promised my wife I wouldn't be buying any more non-painting related GW products until after our baby comes (something about having enough already / prams are expensive), so I might wait a bit. Also because I hate Black Legion for being useless and toothless fluff wise. I thought they were boring back in second ed and I think they're boring now. I prefer to play as a renegade chapter, but I still dig some legions - but BL are the worst. I don't know if they're better in their own book though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Milotic posted:

Thanks. I promised my wife I wouldn't be buying any more non-painting related GW products until after our baby comes (something about having enough already / prams are expensive), so I might wait a bit. Also because I hate Black Legion for being useless and toothless fluff wise. I thought they were boring back in second ed and I think they're boring now. I prefer to play as a renegade chapter, but I still dig some legions - but BL are the worst. I don't know if they're better in their own book though.

All that means to you is that you have to buy each Sorcerer Veterans of the Long War, and that they have access to Black Legion artifacts in addition to standard CSM stuff. You can paint them however you want. "This is a Black Legion formation" really doesn't mean much beyond those two things (until something else gets printed, anyways).

E: Also Black Legion owns and they suffer from the same toothlessness fluffwise that all of the "bad guy" factions suffer from. It only seems worse because Abaddon is supposed to be the biggest threat to the Imperium. Hell, his biggest win (13th crusade) got cheated into a narrow loss to the Imperium and then mostly retconned out of existence.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 20, 2016

• Locked thread